• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fort Worden State Park, Park Ranger interaction (gogodawgs first LE interaction)

Jeff Hayes

Looks like it'd require battery power to stay down; is that available when the car is off, & if so how fast would it drain the battery?
I have these on my car, in part to help stop registration tag thieves & in part to thwart the drive-through-the-parking-lot cop trolling.
I've seen a really scary video where 2 officers just drove through some store parking lot & pointed a video camera at plates as they went by. Their computer read the plates & searched a database.

If you google or search Ebay for [license plate cover red light camera] (without the []) you'll find several brands & prices.
One.
Another.
A third.
Then it's just a matter of parking at an angle to the road, so she would have to come onto your rented property on her fishing expedition... with no RAS.
Of course, the shop rag over the plate is less expensive. Just make sure to remove it before you drive off. :cool:
Probably need to make provisions for covering the VIN, too, but that's easier.

It like a window shade it powers up or down and only uses power when opening or closing. The trick would be to remember to hide the plates only when you are not on the street. I have noting to hide but I do like my privacy.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
It like a window shade it powers up or down and only uses power when opening or closing. The trick would be to remember to hide the plates only when you are not on the street. I have noting to hide but I do like my privacy.

+1

I have nothing to hide, but I would not go naked to the town square or work.
I have nothing to hide, but I will not let my neighbors dig through my underwear drawers.
I have nothing to hide, but I will not let the IRS just come in and look through my file cabinets.
I have nothing to hide, but I will not let my employer see my grocery/liquor bills.
I have nothing to hide.....

jdholmes

I believe they only require battery to operate the motor that springs it down..at least if they are like ones I have seen before. Once the spring is released it holds the plate down on its own power.

decklin

Looks like it'd require battery power to stay down; is that available when the car is off, & if so how fast would it drain the battery?
I have these on my car, in part to help stop registration tag thieves & in part to thwart the drive-through-the-parking-lot cop trolling.
I've seen a really scary video where 2 officers just drove through some store parking lot & pointed a video camera at plates as they went by. Their computer read the plates & searched a database.

If you google or search Ebay for [license plate cover red light camera] (without the []) you'll find several brands & prices.
One.
Another.
A third.
Then it's just a matter of parking at an angle to the road, so she would have to come onto your rented property on her fishing expedition... with no RAS.
Of course, the shop rag over the plate is less expensive. Just make sure to remove it before you drive off. :cool:
Probably need to make provisions for covering the VIN, too, but that's easier.

The problem is not a single one of those covers are legal in Washington State. The only exception is if you are on private property.
Per RCW 46.16.240
The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The problem is not a single one of those covers are legal in Washington State. The only exception is if you are on private property.
Parking lots are often privately owned.

Beyond that, no wonder some are impoverished, purchasing such a product demonstrates the possession of more money to waste than good cents to use.

Jeff Hayes

Per RCW 46.16.240
The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

Every thing you said is correct if you are on a public street, road, parking lot, city, county or state park etc etc how ever in a private parking lot such as Safeway, the mall or your driveway plates need not be displayed. You can pull into the mall parking lot and remove your plates until you return to a public street if you like. I often cover my Vin number when I leave my car at the airport parking lot for an extended period of time.

decklin

I'm aware. That's why I said unless you are on private property. But who is going to pull into a parking lot then put on the cover then take it off before you leave. My point is these covers are a waste of money and if you drive with them you run the risk of getting a ticket.

Fallschirjmäger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e4OFmwdIzZ4

Vehicle on - plate visible
Vehicle off - plate hidden.

There are lots of custom/hot rods that use a similar system where the plate flips down from the undercarriage when the vehicle is in operation and completely hides the plate and mounting bracket when the vehicle is off. (That would look odd on most modern cars though)
license-plate-retractable.jpg

This is the best one I've seen, but I can't seem to find a supplier.
Screenshot20110126at11.14.36PM.png

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

I'm aware. That's why I said unless you are on private property. But who is going to pull into a parking lot then put on the cover then take it off before you leave. My point is these covers are a waste of money and if you drive with them you run the risk of getting a ticket.

They can be wired into the ignition to automatically hide the plate when the car is turned off or you can use a remote similar to the key fobs that come with most cars and you would then have the option of hiding the plate when you desired. Think if you were parked at a bar, a political event, an open carry meeting, a political protest or any other place you may not want your plates read and your name and address available to the authorities. I can think of a lot of times that I would use it and I am fairly benign.

Once again your waste of money is another persons bargain. Just like what may be a chill to you may be a thrill to me, everyone has different priorities and goals.

Yes you run the risk of getting a ticket if you forget to display the plate before you enter a public street. I run the risk of getting a ticket every time I drive. Its only a ticket and a small amount of cash so what. Remember the authorities can't eat you.

decklin

I was talking about the plastic covers that require the use of a screwdriver to remove 4 screws every time you want to put up or remove it. All the links I saw in mkegals post require the manual removal. They are not electric.

VW_Factor

Plate covers.. Most states have laws forbidding them, even plain clear ones simply for protection from dirt.

Still doesn't stop people from using them though. Just like laws against murder, theft, etc doesn't stop people from doing those things..

Simply a question of what is "right or wrong" in your minds eye.

Jeff Hayes

I was talking about the plastic covers that require the use of a screwdriver to remove 4 screws every time you want to put up or remove it. All the links I saw in mkegals post require the manual removal. They are not electric.

OK I was thinking of the electric ones. I agree with you on the covers not worth the hassle.

decklin

Yeah, sometimes it can be really difficult to figure out what people are even talking about. Sometimes I think technology is a step backwards in efficiency. You can get info quickly but conversations can take days instead of minutes.

amlevin

They can be wired into the ignition to automatically hide the plate when the car is turned off or you can use a remote similar to the key fobs that come with most cars and you would then have the option of hiding the plate when you desired. Think if you were parked at a bar, a political event, an open carry meeting, a political protest or any other place you may not want your plates read and your name and address available to the authorities. I can think of a lot of times that I would use it and I am fairly benign.

Once again your waste of money is another persons bargain. Just like what may be a chill to you may be a thrill to me, everyone has different priorities and goals.

Yes you run the risk of getting a ticket if you forget to display the plate before you enter a public street. I run the risk of getting a ticket every time I drive. Its only a ticket and a small amount of cash so what. Remember the authorities can't eat you.

Aside from the "coolness" factor, many if not most cities in this State have ordinances against parking vehicles on the street without valid plates/registration.

If one uses one of these and regularly parks on the street, it could lead to the vehicle being towed. As for those that use the flip up license plate trick to avoid tolls, the State has a few tricks of their own to combat that. Ask anyone that's received not only a bill for the toll, but a fine for trying to evade it. Pictures are taken of vehicles that don't have the passes. It's amazing how people who try this seem to do it at the same times and places. Makes it easy for the State to catch them. Especially if the vehicle has even more "coolness" accessories visible.

Jeff Hayes

Aside from the "coolness" factor, many if not most cities in this State have ordinances against parking vehicles on the street without valid plates/registration.

If one uses one of these and regularly parks on the street, it could lead to the vehicle being towed. As for those that use the flip up license plate trick to avoid tolls, the State has a few tricks of their own to combat that. Ask anyone that's received not only a bill for the toll, but a fine for trying to evade it. Pictures are taken of vehicles that don't have the passes. It's amazing how people who try this seem to do it at the same times and places. Makes it easy for the State to catch them. Especially if the vehicle has even more "coolness" accessories visible.

It could not be used on a public street including parking or at places like parks, fairgrounds etc only on private property like the mall, grocery store etc. Per forum rules I was not suggesting doing anything unlawful like driving on a public street, parking on a street, running tolls or evading Cops. This device would only be used to protect ones privacy when the plate display was not required.

Lurkus Maximus

Campaign Veteran
It could not be used on a public street including parking or at places like parks, fairgrounds etc only on private property like the mall, grocery store etc. Per forum rules I was not suggesting doing anything unlawful like driving on a public street, parking on a street, running tolls or evading Cops. This device would only be used to protect ones privacy when the plate display was not required.

I wonder if anything would be said about a full coverage car cover with a locking cable? They cover front and rear plates and would require deliberate action to access either. "I just do it to protect the paint job!"