• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From OC to CC for me now.

LEO 229

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
so what's the problem with cocked and locked?
The problem is that people do not understand the other safety measures in place to prevent it from going off and hitting you in the foot.

ParaWarthog

imported post

Yea, 1911s in condition one tend to cause a scare. Down here, there is only a few police departments in the Birmingham area and surrounding suburbs where officers can carry a 1911. The city of Birmingham requires a "New York" trigger to be placed on all Glocks, and all their DAO's have to have a trigger pull of 10 pounds or greater. I feel the best trigger safety is keeping your finger off of it until you're ready to fire, but then again, I'm not writing the policy.

Back to holsters, I have found that I prefer a paddle holster over a pancake belt holster. I have a Bianchi Model 59 special agent paddle holster as well as a Don Hume custom molded pacake belt hoster. The Don Hume ALWAYS rides down and pulls my belt down, whereas the paddle holster always sits high on my hip, as there is more holster area distributing the weight on my belt / pants line.

Am I alone in this paddle holster preference?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
Back to holsters, I have found that I prefer a paddle holster over a pancake belt holster. I have a Bianchi Model 59 special agent paddle holster as well as a Don Hume custom molded pacake belt hoster. The Don Hume ALWAYS rides down and pulls my belt down, whereas the paddle holster always sits high on my hip, as there is more holster area distributing the weight on my belt / pants line.

Probably not, but a samping of one paddle & one pancake certainly isn't enough evidence to prove that holsters all similar will behave that way... I use my Blackhawk Sherpa on the belt loops carrying a 5" 1911 and havn't had any problems with it riding down. Of course, the Sherpa comes with a paddle & belt loop attachments, so it's good whatever you prefer:dude:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
ParaWarthog wrote:
Back to holsters, I have found that I prefer a paddle holster over a pancake belt holster.  I have a Bianchi Model 59 special agent paddle holster as well as a Don Hume custom molded pacake belt hoster.  The Don Hume ALWAYS rides down and pulls my belt down, whereas the paddle holster always sits high on my hip, as there is more holster area distributing the weight on my belt / pants line.

Probably not, but a samping of one paddle & one pancake certainly isn't enough evidence to prove that holsters all similar will behave that way...  I use my Blackhawk Sherpa on the belt loops carrying a 5" 1911 and havn't had any problems with it riding down.  Of course, the Sherpa comes with a paddle & belt loop attachments, so it's good whatever you prefer:dude:

Well this has a lot to do with ... Well ... Body Shape. The carry rig is going to seek the narrowest diameter. If that is below your belt line well, that may say a lot about your shape.:lol:

ParaWarthog

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Well this has a lot to do with ... Well ... Body Shape. The carry rig is going to seek the narrowest diameter. If that is below your belt line well, that may say a lot about your shape.:lol:
Haha. In my defense, I'm very lean (I'm still young, though . . .), so I guess it might be the particular holsters I've sampled. It might actually be my belt; the EXPEN$IVE belts Galco sells claim to be suited to handle the weight of a gun, so my cheapo belt might not like the belt holsters too much.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Haha.  In my defense, I'm very lean (I'm still young, though . . .), so I guess it might be the particular holsters I've sampled.  It might actually be my belt; the EXPEN$IVE belts Galco sells claim to be suited to handle the weight of a gun, so my cheapo belt might not like the belt holsters too much.

The belt has a lot to do with it. I make my own, and I use heavy leather (sometimes double layer), but it is important that they be AT LEAST 1 1/2" wide (1 3/4 is better). I also make them a little longer than normal so I can carry either inside or outside the belt, and adjust it accordingly.

Regards

IanB

imported post

I never said there was a problem C&L'd. That's how I carry my USP in the Serpa as well as the Fletch.

ParaWarthog

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
The belt has a lot to do with it. I make my own, and I use heavy leather (sometimes double layer), but it is important that they be AT LEAST 1 1/2" wide (1 3/4 is better). I also make them a little longer than normal so I can carry either inside or outside the belt, and adjust it accordingly.

Regards
Thanks for the advice, Hawkflyer. I need to look into getting a new belt so that my Don Hume won't ride down like a brick!

Scheetz

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I never said there was a problem C&L'd. That's how I carry my USP in the Serpa as well as the Fletch.

Good to know about the Fletch. I carry decocked right now, I have not made it to the leisure carrying Cocked and Locked. I wont doubt in a month or two I will feel more comfortable doing it though. For now I like the added decock length, at least with the USP there is no pull strength for those first MMs. I do most of my shooting in decock unless its double taps. Just to strengthen my fingers and be use to the pull when the time comes when I have to.

I am thinking of going with the Concealable though. Searched a good portion on DefensiveCarry and a good portion said no need for the thumb break for a couple reasons. Which I fit into all the reasons stated that I do not need a thumb break.

Although I guess if it came down to it, I could buy the Fletch and if I hate it just buy a concealable or cut the thumb break off and fix the gap.

Anyone here use a Liger Gun Belt? I was going to order one tomorrow night. People over at DC liked them. I like alot of the gun belts out there but I do not wear suits so they are to dressy for me.

Scheetz

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Scheetz wrote:
SNIP...
I like alot of the gun belts out there but I do not wear suits so they are to dressy for me.

So you are armed and therefor a slave to no man, buy most belts are too "dressy" so you are a slave to fashion?:lol:
:uhoh: Eh, what can I say I think I am just the right age to be a son to some of you. Just saying a dressy leather belt does not fit to well with plaid or cargo shorts. :lol:

Kevin108

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
That is an odd holster..... Never seen one like that. I go for the simple stuff...

Looks like a CTAC to me. If so, you should try one. It's the most comfortable IWB holster you can get. It's also tuckable. I have one for all my pistols.

Scheetz

imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
That is an odd holster..... Never seen one like that. I go for the simple stuff...

Looks like a CTAC to me. If so, you should try one. It's the most comfortable IWB holster you can get. It's also tuckable. I have one for all my pistols.
Yup, that would be a CTac. The people at Comp-Tac are great to work with and when I ordered they said it would be 2 weeks because they were on back order. 5 days later my holster showed up.

You also get a pack of Smarties with your order.

vrwmiller

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Scheetz wrot
What is the opinion on the Fletch? I have wanted a leather OWB because it fits my dress attire better than a plastic/kydex holster would.
The Fletch is nice, but has one problem:

The thumb strap. To use it your hammer must either be fully cocked (thumb strap in front of hammer) or the hammer must be fully down (thumb break rides over the hammer). And by hammer "fully down" I don't mean the "half cock" position it sets into when you decock it. You would have to commit a safety violation and (with a live round in the pipe) release the hammer (with your thumb aka Jack Bauer decock) to the full down stop while squeezing the trigger and disengaging the safeties. Only other solution is to carry in condition three and dry fire before holstering, thereby releasing the hammer to full stop.

The Fletch is great for my Para Ordnance LDA P12.45. I carry with one in the pipe and the pistol in a half cock. The pistol is a DAO pistol and the Fletch is a nice compliment to the pistol. I don't have to worry about any of the problems above.

LEO 229

imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I have a paddle back holders.. x2 one for my sig and one for my glock. I also have a third I can use for both to tuck into the pants..

Easy on and off.. not my pants Citizen.. the holsters.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Scheetz wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Scheetz wrote:
SNIP...
I like alot of the gun belts out there but I do not wear suits so they are to dressy for me.

So you are armed and therefor a slave to no man, buy most belts are too "dressy" so you are a slave to fashion?:lol:
:uhoh:  Eh, what can I say I think I am just the right age to be a son to some of you.   Just saying a dressy leather belt does not fit to well with plaid or cargo shorts. :lol:

Well, I don't have any kids, and you may be right about the age thing.

So SON,:what: next time we have a Manassas lunch gathering, show up and I will get your measurements, you tell me the style buckle you want, and I'll make you a belt. Mine are not fancy, and I wear them with Cargo pants and jeans all the time. Of course I also need to know if you want black, brown, or natural, cause fashion is important.:lol:

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Well, I don't have any kids, and you may be right about the age thing.

So SON,:what: next time we have a Manassas lunch gathering, show up and I will get your measurements, you tell me the style buckle you want, and I'll make you a belt. Mine are not fancy, and I wear them with Cargo pants and jeans all the time. Of course I also need to know if you want black, brown, or natural, cause fashion is important.:lol:

Regards
What's the deal with these belts?? I am guessing you make them?

LEO 229

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
...SNIP
What's the deal with these belts?? I am guessing you make them?

Well, I make my own. I have made a few as gifts, but leather work is a hobby, not an avocation for me.

Regards
Can you make one that says "Property of Citizen" in a size 34?? ;)