• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Funny CCW Story

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
No one said alcohol+gun=immediate death and injury.
That is what people seem to be implying, comparing guns and alcohol to drinking and driving.

Right, and there's an ever-growing list of people sitting in jail for killing someone when they were POSITIVE they were fine to drive after drinking, hell, they do it all the time, why would this time be any different? I mean... the only thing that changed was the people they hit. I'm sure they'll do better next time.
Why do people compare operating a motor vehicle to having a gun in a holster? Wouldn't DUI be more accurately compared to guns if you were handling a gun while drunk? See below were you were unable to comprehend my comparison.
You compared guns and alcohol to guns and cars, I don't think anyone here believes that driving impairs your ability to carry a gun.
Where are you getting this from? Are you trolling? Driving has nothing to do with carrying...

Nothing about this is funny.

...Except maybe your forum handle, and the position you took.
Would that be considered a funny joke or punch line where you're from?

eye95

Drinking while carrying is incredibly irresponsible.

First, the impairment of judgment includes impairment of judgment of the impairment. Drunks never know how drunk they are and how much their faculties have been impaired.

Second, your SA goes to hell, making number three really dangerous.

Third, you are usually surround by other drunks with impaired judgment, many of whom don't even know one of the four safety rules.

Drinking while carrying = stupidity.

epilogue

That is what people seem to be implying, comparing guns and alcohol to drinking and driving.

Addressed below.

Why do people compare operating a motor vehicle to having a gun in a holster? Wouldn't DUI be more accurately compared to guns if you were handling a gun while drunk? See below were you were unable to comprehend my comparison.

I'm comparing the thought process of an individual who thinks they are OK to drive while impaired. Sure, they drove home 9 billion times without so much as swerving or coasting over the posted speed, but it just took one time out of 9 billion to ruin a bunch of lives.

That guy coming at you with a knife yelling was really just a pan handler with a losing lotto ticket and poor enunciation asking for spare change.

Where are you getting this from? Are you trolling? Driving has nothing to do with carrying...

I'm getting it from YOU:

I don't drink often, but when I do, I am carrying. I think the GUNS AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX LIKE GUNS AND CARS DON'T MIX is stupid.

If you meant "Guns and alcohol don't mix like cars and alcohol don't mix" then that's something different, however, it still holds true; Neither of them mix.

Would that be considered a funny joke or punch line where you're from?

It would be considered funny in a sad story kind of way.

Last edited:

Fabricator

This is disgusting!

The OP and those who defend this sort of behavior/mentality are more damaging to the very rights we are working for than Nancy Pelosi or Diane Feinstein! Please leave America now, or have the sense to park your weapon when you drink! I am pro-gun, and pro-beer. I Shoot, reload, cast etc... I home-brew, bottle and "imbibe" as well, (not villifying alcohol here). Its just beyond my comprehension that one would defend combing the two activities. In GA, I can have a 0.08 BAC while carrying, but you will not catch me doing that. Legal does not mean adviseable. If you ever had to defend yourself, and something beyond your control happened; resulting in harm to an innocent person, and you were drinking (even just a few sips), how do you think a jury will interpret that? It is juvenile and ignorant to think that just because you feel confident in your weapons handling/shooting ability while drinking, that it should be done; this is not about your abilities, or perception thereof, its about a type of thought called common sense, and how it furthers our rights as armed citizens. I do not wish to live in a land where we have to enumerate every activity that can, or cannot be done, simply because some citizen wants to disengage their cognitive processor while carrying a weapon. I am new here, and have a lot to learn; however, your actions, and the thoughts of those that defend your mentality make me sick! Those are MY constitutional rights you are putting at risk!

Fabricator

PT111

Service is not some magic potion that bestows all with maturity. I am quite glad I didn't choose to carry back then, as I didn't have the maturity and sense of responsibility I believe I do now. I hope I use both of those now when I do all things including carry and when I choose to drink.

I am late in getting in on this thread but I just had to chuckle at the above line and think how almost all of us who are over 30 or 40 or so can relate to that. I am not putting anyone down or anything of sort other than just an observation. A line that I often use when people ask me, "Didn't you do so and so when you were young"? I tell them, "Yes and that is what scares the heck out of me now when I see young people doing it". How I made it to this age is a wonder when I think about the stupid things I did as a youth. :shocker:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Drinking while carrying is incredibly irresponsible.

First, the impairment of judgment includes impairment of judgment of the impairment. Drunks never know how drunk they are and how much their faculties have been impaired.

This reminds me of my lesson of how I learned of the impairment that drinking alcohol causes.

When I was in my 20's (I'm closer to 40 now), I road raced motorcycles at the club level. During one of my racing classes to obtain my license, one of the instructors (who was an active Navy fighter pilot) went over the effects of drinking as it relates to reflexes. Being young, cocky, & stupid, I challenged him about this and said that if I had a beer or two it would not *drastically* affect my reaction times. Boy, was I dead wrong....

To preface the next part, for the following test we had cleared this with local law enforcement who participated (we also had EMTs on hand at the track). In addition to this, I was wearing racing leathers/boots/helmet/body armor. This was a very controlled environment. Do not try this yourself without the above precautions.

We set up a braking marker showing where I had to start braking, as well as a limit line to stop at. I hopped on my bike and ran 3 consecutive control runs (without alcohol in my system) at 25MPH. I hit the limit line exactly all three times give or take 1-2". Then I had a beer, waited (and after blowing into the breathalyzer to make sure the beer kicked in) made 3 runs. I was definitely off by more than a few inches. We did this until I had 3-4 beers in my system and I was blowing close to a .07. I made one last attempt. I was off by about 3 feet (I either overshot the marker or braked too hard, ending up way ahead of the cones). Forgive the pun, but this was a very sobering experience.

I have to say that after the 3 or 4 beers, I still "felt" totally in control and maybe felt a very slight buzz if anything (I'm a big guy who can handle his booze after all). However, the test proved that I was not in complete control of my body. I don't know if the same test has been conducted with firearms, but I can guarantee you are going to be off your mark if you have to shoot. What if your shot goes wild in that stressful moment? No one can predict how they will function under stress, especially while intoxicated. Sure, your gun may be holstered, but the question really is: What if you have to shoot? If you can't shoot straight or make correct judgments, then you might as well not being carrying at all.

Writing the above make me think about the Arizona shooting recently. I seem to remember that Joe Zamudio (the armed citizen who ran over to help) said that it was very confusing as to who the shooter was. One of the bystanders had been holding the gun (securing it) as the others were restraining Jared Loughner. This shows you that you need all your marbles together when something like this happens. It sounds like it would have been really easy to make a bad judgement call and shoot the bystander holding the gun, thinking that he was the shooter. These types of split second/life changing decisions are best made sober...

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Locklear's 13 posts would seem to be his epitaph here.

That's a shame because we should like to have the opportunity to present our thanks for bringing up a POV that merits occasional restating. To that end, agent provocateurs serve a good purpose.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Addressed below.

I'm comparing the thought process of an individual who thinks they are OK to drive while impaired. Sure, they drove home 9 billion times without so much as swerving or coasting over the posted speed, but it just took one time out of 9 billion to ruin a bunch of lives.

That guy coming at you with a knife yelling was really just a pan handler with a losing lotto ticket and poor enunciation asking for spare change.

I'm getting it from YOU:

If you meant "Guns and alcohol don't mix like cars and alcohol don't mix" then that's something different, however, it still holds true; Neither of them mix.

It would be considered funny in a sad story kind of way.

I don't know how that typo with guns and cars happened. For the record I'm doing all of this of a touch screen cell phone. Drinking and driving still doesn't equal out to drinking with a holstered gun that never leaves the holster.

Your argument would have been respected a little more had you not called me a moron earlier in the thread. For future reference, if you want someone to see something the same way you see it, putting a big wall up by telling them they're a moron isn't the best way.

Third, you are usually surround by other drunks with impaired judgment, many of whom don't even know one of the four safety rules.
Making assumptions? We can make stuff up all day if we start doimg this. When I drink it usually Saturday night relaxing at home. Maybe grillin with a friend or two.

Eye95, if you've recognized that you are not responsible enough to carry while drunk then good on you. Not everyone gets stupid when they drink. I don't drink and drive, and I don't drink and handle firearms. My firearm is for life and death situations. If I get attacked by my neighbors pitbull while I'm grilling I'm not going to deny myself self defense just because I'm drinking.

epilogue

If I get attacked by my neighbors pitbull while I'm grilling I'm not going to deny myself self defense just because I'm drinking.

You're willing to stay armed while consuming alcohol.

We're willing to pass on the alcohol to stay armed.

That beer just isn't important enough to me; My judgment, situational awareness, life and loved ones are. To impair myself in any way is a disservice to all four.

SavageOne

You'd better reread the statute. "Handles" means to touch. This section makes it illegal to touch a firearm while intoxicated. In any way or manner. Under Common Law, impaired = negligent. It is on that basis this is written. Even brushing the weapon with the back of your hand could be grounds for conviction. Only a moron would put it to the test.

I'm not a practicing attorney, but have a legal education. My job entails specific, accurate knowledge of, and involvement with the USC, CFR, FAR and UCC. The legislature writes laws; the judge interprets them. "Handle" is the word at issue. The intent of the writer may have been to twirl it around like Roy Rogers; the interpretation of the judge may be to touch in any way--including moving the holster so it doesn't stick you in the kidney. That is my point. The facts of the case will establish a 'touch' took place. The law, as interpreted by the judge, whether that 'touch' was actionable under his definition. In summation: intent of the Legislature on a poorly worded statute is open to wide discretion by the judiciary.

So, just to be clear. The first quote above is only YOUR interpretation of the law and as you have stated you are not a practicing attorney. Is it not also possible that a judge may interpret the wording of the statue does not mean to touch?

eye95

Eye95, if you've recognized that you are not responsible enough to carry while drunk then good on you. Not everyone gets stupid when they drink. I don't drink and drive, and I don't drink and handle firearms. My firearm is for life and death situations. If I get attacked by my neighbors pitbull while I'm grilling I'm not going to deny myself self defense just because I'm drinking.

Everyone gets impaired. Not stupid. Impaired. No one is "responsible" when they carry while drinking. Such behavior is irresponsible.

Frankly, I don't expect to change your mind. I don't really care if you end up doing something foolish--unless someone other than you pays the price of the foolishness. Others read these boards. It is they whom I hope to reach, not someone whose thinking already includes the belief that drinking and carrying mix.

Anyway, I will not assist you further in putting forth an irresponsible POV. I'll just move on and talk to folks whose ideas that I respect even when I disagree with them.

Last edited:

Ruger95

I think any reasonable person recognizes that drinking and firearms do not mix. Deny it if you will but you know in your heart its bad practice.

Some think that if its not against the law its alright to do it. Its not against the law to suck on the barrel of your loaded gun but would you do it? :banghead:

1245A Defender

well,,,

some years ago, at a drunken july 4th party, my friend pulled a raven 25 auto from his pocket,
announced he would do some celebrating shooting in the air, then pulled out a full magazine,
before he inserted it, i exclaimed that i had one just like it at home!, then said let me see!
to my surprise, he passed it to me...
i guickly field stripped it and pocketed the bits, and gave him the frame, telling him he
can get the rest back in a week!
his wife saw what was going on, and exclaimed how dumb it was for him to pull a gun!
he was shocked at her reaction, so he pointed the stripped frame at her and said bang!

She Kicked Him In The Nut Sack!!!

and,,, it was illegal to shoot any guns at our location anyway,, especially by a dumb drunk!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
some years ago, at a drunken july 4th party, my friend pulled a raven 25 auto from his pocket,
announced he would do some celebrating shooting in the air, then pulled out a full magazine,
before he inserted it, i exclaimed that i had one just like it at home!, then said let me see!
to my surprise, he passed it to me...
i guickly field stripped it and pocketed the bits, and gave him the frame, telling him he
can get the rest back in a week!
his wife saw what was going on, and exclaimed how dumb it was for him to pull a gun!
he was shocked at her reaction, so he pointed the stripped frame at her and said bang!

She Kicked Him In The Nut Sack!!!

and,,, it was illegal to shoot any guns at our location anyway,, especially by a dumb drunk!!

Hope he learned his lesson and how to walk again. :lol:

I actually have a Raven in the back of the safe ......where it will stay.

eye95

I wonder if that person claimed that he could drink and carry responsibly at some point in time before he drank his responsibility into non-existence?

OldCurlyWolf

I wonder if that person claimed that he could drink and carry responsibly at some point in time before he drank his responsibility into non-existence?

In my state One drink and being in public while carrying is an automatic suspension for a CHL holder. We don't Have OC yet.:cuss:

Since I carry nearly 100% and simply because most of the time I don't even think about it, I haven't had an adult beverage for nearly 10 years.

sharkey

Hmm, I'm having a little internal strife here. I don't drink and carry but I'm going to look at this from someone else's perspective for a second.

I'm having too much trouble putting my thoughts into words so I'll share a real life example. What would have happened if this man did not have a gun at his party? Who knows, perhaps nothing (another article had them in a Mexican standoff situation if my memory is correct) or maybe he'd be dead. The article does not mention if he was drinking but since it was a keg party I'd put money down that he was.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...09/05/20100905chandler-shooting-two-dead.html

On a side note;I knew I became old (mature :) ) when I told my wife I didn't want to get drunk. How did that stop being fun? Once, when I was younger (and stupider) I did the redneck thing at a desert party, rode on ATV's drunk and shot at targets with a rife. Even though we were all intoxicated we still made sure we had a safe backstop.

Again, drinking and carrying is a dumb move. The "what if you had to defend yourself" was nagging me though, if I had to defend myself I'd hope I was armed because at that point I'm not worried about right or wrong, I'm worried about survival. Now that you all have made me feel vulnerable when I drink (since I don't carry) I'm gonna have to get a designated shooter. :lol: Good thing I only drink once a month or so.

I think this is my most rambled post ever.

If you ever had to defend yourself, and something beyond your control happened; resulting in harm to an innocent person, and you were drinking (even just a few sips), how do you think a jury will interpret that?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hmm, I'm having a little internal strife here. I don't drink and carry but I'm going to look at this from someone else's perspective for a second.

I'm having too much trouble putting my thoughts into words so I'll share a real life example. What would have happened if this man did not have a gun at his party? Who knows, perhaps nothing (another article had them in a Mexican standoff situation if my memory is correct) or maybe he'd be dead. The article does not mention if he was drinking but since it was a keg party I'd put money down that he was.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...09/05/20100905chandler-shooting-two-dead.html

On a side note;I knew I became old (mature :) ) when I told my wife I didn't want to get drunk. How did that stop being fun? Once, when I was younger (and stupider) I did the redneck thing at a desert party, rode on ATV's drunk and shot at targets with a rife. Even though we were all intoxicated we still made sure we had a safe backstop.

Again, drinking and carrying is a dumb move. The "what if you had to defend yourself" was nagging me though, if I had to defend myself I'd hope I was armed because at that point I'm not worried about right or wrong, I'm worried about survival. Now that you all have made me feel vulnerable when I drink (since I don't carry) I'm gonna have to get a designated shooter. :lol: Good thing I only drink once a month or so.

I think this is my most rambled post ever.

I don't think there are many here (none?) that would question one's right to defend themselves by what ever means necessary under the most trying circumstances. The right to protect oneself should apply in all legitimate conditions.

What has been said is that we all make conscious choices and that those choices should be well informed and responsible. Part of satisfying that criteria for me is to not imbibe when I am carrying a gun - period.

Would I criticize someone for so defending themselves when intoxicated - No.

Would I criticize the same person for getting intoxicated while carrying - Yes.

SavageOne

I originally responded to this post because I was shocked by so many members who seemed to have a problem with an individual expressing his liberty by carrying. They seemed mortified by the fact that the OP chose to do so in a manner that appears to be legal(I disregard the cited "neglect" statue, as it is only the interpretation of another member) in the state the OP lives in. Was the OP's attitude cavalier to those who might find this behavior wrong? Yes. Does it make it wrong? Not for me to say. Why is it that so many of you turn a deaf ear to those who would tell you, what you can't do or that it's not responsible to do something legal, like OC, yet you have no problem doing the same to someone else also doing something legal in their state?

How many of you "responsible" people will go out to dinner and have a glass of wine or beer(or two) with your dinner, then hop in your vehicle and drive away, secure in the knowledge that you are not impaired? Check the stats, alcohol is a factor in far more vehicle accidents than firearms accidents. Many here will vehemently decry that others should never mix any alcohol and guns, that they are acting irresponsible, while turning a blind eye to their own actions. Was that statement a broad generalization of the those posts that condemn the OP's actions? Yes, about the same as the one's being bandied around by all the "responsible" people.

Is it possible that alcohol can impair your judgment? Yes. It is also possible that caffeine, lack of sleep, medication, twinkies, etc, etc, etc can impair your judgment. Until a person acts on it, it's no one's business but their's. Be careful how you tell others to act, you never know when some action of yours will get you called stupid, or dumb, or irresponsible on a forum.

eye95

I don't think there are many here (none?) that would question one's right to defend themselves by what ever means necessary under the most trying circumstances. The right to protect oneself should apply in all legitimate conditions.

What has been said is that we all make conscious choices and that those choices should be well informed and responsible. Part of satisfying that criteria for me is to not imbibe when I am carrying a gun - period.

Would I criticize someone for so defending themselves when intoxicated - No.

Would I criticize the same person for getting intoxicated while carrying - Yes.

Grape took my answer.