• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GAME WARDENS

Thundar

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
29.1-208. Searches and seizures. All conservation police officers are vested with the authority to search any person arrested as provided in § 29.1-205

29.1-205. Power to make arrests. Regular conservation police officers are vested with the same authority as sheriffs and other law-enforcement officers to enforce all of the criminal laws of the Commonwealth.

Still seems to support the fact that they cannot search you unless you are under arrest, and can't search you first to see if you are "in the act" and are, therefore, then subject to arrest.

Would make of an "interesting" conversation" in the field, eh?

"Conservation Officers' or Game Wardens have full police authority anywhere in the Commonwealth. I wouldn't try to play any games with them.

When I was with the Governor's Drug Task Force, we would bring a Game Warden with us when looking for drug manufacturing sites, because while a Game Warden needs a search warrant to search a house, he doesn't need one to come onto your land.

If we had reasonable suspision that someone was growing pot for example, but not enough to obtain a search warrant, the Game Warden would enter the land to check for poachers and we would just "tag along" to assist him.

Grey area, I know, but completely legal.
What you describe is a blatent violation of the 4th A, and you were OK with that?

ODA 226

imported post

Thundar wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
29.1-208. Searches and seizures. All conservation police officers are vested with the authority to search any person arrested as provided in § 29.1-205

29.1-205. Power to make arrests. Regular conservation police officers are vested with the same authority as sheriffs and other law-enforcement officers to enforce all of the criminal laws of the Commonwealth.

Still seems to support the fact that they cannot search you unless you are under arrest, and can't search you first to see if you are "in the act" and are, therefore, then subject to arrest.

"Conservation Officers' or Game Wardens have full police authority anywhere in the Commonwealth. I wouldn't try to play any games with them.

When I was with the Governor's Drug Task Force, we would bring a Game Warden with us when looking for drug manufacturing sites, because while a Game Warden needs a search warrant to search a house, he doesn't need one to come onto your land.

If we had reasonable suspision that someone was growing pot for example, but not enough to obtain a search warrant, the Game Warden would enter the land to check for poachers and we would just "tag along" to assist him.

What you describe is a blatent violation of the 4th A, and you were OK with that?

The courts disagreed with you brother. What I thought didn't matter.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

Befehl ist Befehl?

:uhoh:

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Sounds like a good way for a Game Warden to get killed.

Trespassing laws don't apply to some and not others, last I checked.

You need a warrant to be ON anyone's property lawfully... unless you care to cite otherwise.
Agreed, very dangerous policy for them and us....and a violation of your rights.

Sign for the Property, "Game and Game Wardens keep out".

ODA 226

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

Befehl ist Befehl?

Es war kein Befehl ist Befehl, so versuchen Sie bitte nicht zu implizieren, dass wir wie die Gestapo gehandelt.

Yes, I speak German and quite a few other languages...

Thundar

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

If you went to the court and did not commit perjury, andadmitted to the judge"Your honor, we went and got a game warden so we could do an end run around the constitution because we did not have probable cause to get a search warrant"

What would the court say? It is OK that you intentionally violated the rights of the citizen because you were exploiting the game warden loophole. (and we have a war on drugs)????????

Your comments are very valuable here, though because it lets OCers know that when the thin blue line wants to hammer you, the constitution is rarely a JBT repellent.

wylde007

imported post

popcorn2.gif

PT111

imported post

Slightly OT. I was told the other night that National Guard helicopter training flights were being told to "look for marijuana grows".
Pretty much SOP for the past 20 years or so. Makes for good training in case they have to spot "stuff" in actual wartime.

altajava

imported post

I have had many encounters with "game wardens" over the years. It was just like any other interaction with law enforcement. They were polite, had a couple of relevant questions. I was polite with some relevant answers and we both had a nice day.

Although the last time I went bird hunting on a verylarge parcell of private property I knowingly did not have the plug in my shotgun. I get a little pleasure out of getting my friends to laugh and shake thier heads at the same time. Most people don't notice the fire one load two..fire two load three trick until you unload the magizine all at once.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

Befehl ist Befehl?

Es war kein Befehl ist Befehl, so versuchen Sie bitte nicht zu implizieren, dass wir wie die Gestapo gehandelt.

Yes, I speak German and quite a few other languages...
Wahrheit ist Wahrheit in jeder möglicher Sprache!

Are you saying you don't think that practice circumvented peoples rights?

ODA 226

imported post

A Game Warden can enter any property (no buildings) at anytime without a warrant. (Needs warrant for buildings UNLESS he observes a crime being committed in "plain sight").

Sorry guys, I'm not going to be baited into an argument here.

Marco

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
A Game Warden can enter any property (no buildings) at anytime without a warrant. (Needs warrant for buildings UNLESS he observes a crime being committed in "plain sight").
All trespassers regardless of their profession or title would be besieged by dogs at the very least.
What happens after that is up to them.:quirky

johnfenter

imported post

Interesting. Can a game warden enter a property in an area of a city where all hunting is not allowed by ordinance, say, the northern half of Virginia Beach? Why would a game warden even BE there? (Not to say that the deer wouldn't be there, what with their literacy rate being fairly low and being unable to read the ordinances). I am aware of some folks with a goodly amount of money who have fairly large, fenced or walled estates with private security and guard dogs; can a game warden scale the fence at will? (Guard dogs also have a low literacy rate, and have a hard time distinguishing game wardens from burglars).

altajava

imported post

johnfenter wrote:
Interesting. Can a game warden enter a property in an area of a city where all hunting is not allowed by ordinance, say, the northern half of Virginia Beach? Why would a game warden even BE there? (Not to say that the deer wouldn't be there, what with their literacy rate being fairly low and being unable to read the ordinances). I am aware of some folks with a goodly amount of money who have fairly large, fenced or walled estates with private security and guard dogs; can a game warden scale the fence at will? (Guard dogs also have a low literacy rate, and have a hard time distinguishing game wardens from burglars).
The game warden can and will trespass on private property in pursuit of suspected violationswhere hunting is not allowed. As stated earlier, the Conservation Officers enforce other laws besides hunting regs. One case comes to mind from several years ago. A guy was arrested and jailedfor cutting down trees in the national forest(northern Shenandoah Valley). The Virginia Beach areahas state and national landsso yes you will see "game wardens' from time to time

johnfenter

imported post

I guess my question is geared more toward the fenced-in suburban back yard environment, not the national or state forest or city park. A game warden who traipses into back yards through a gate or over a fence can expect to encounter hostile dogs and/or homeowners...

altajava

imported post

I don't dissagree but wildlife has moved into the urban environment and game wardens have followed. In '08, a picture was taken by a home owner of a black bear raiding the bird feeder. Location of raid..South Riding, VA. Those that are familiar with the area know it doesn't get any more fenced-in suburban back yard than that.