• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GAME WARDENS

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

altajava wrote:
I don't dissagree but wildlife has moved into the urban environment and game wardens have followed. In '08, a picture was taken by a home owner of a black bear raiding the bird feeder. Location of raid..South Riding, VA. Those that are familiar with the area know it doesn't get any more fenced-in suburban back yard than that.
Bears make good neighbors. I took this 300 yards from my front porch day before yesterday.
I never see a game warden (Conservation Officer). I doubt they'd be coming into someone's back yard just because a few Deer nibble on the Boxwood.

big-bear1crop.jpg

2a4all

imported post

Peter Nap said: "Bears make good neighbors. I took this 300 yards from my front porch day before yesterday."

Impressive. What do you feed him? If you were 300 yards from your front porch, how far were you from the bear?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
I think (and hope!) he was using one of his real long lenses for that shot!

TFred
400mm L series lens at about 50 yards. My bears and I have an agreement. They let me take pictures and I don't make rugs out of them
He knew I was there. I do it all the time. Another picture from Friday.

normal_bigbear2crop.jpg

2a4all

imported post

Peter Nap wrote: "400mm L series lens at about 50 yards. My bears and I have an agreement. They let me take pictures and I don't make rugs out of them
He knew I was there. I do it all the time. Another picture from Friday."

And mighty fine pictures they are, but if the bearsateyou for lunch after you took the pictures, they wouldnot violate the agreement. At least you would havehad a 50yd head start, assuming that you were between the bear and your house.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
What does Zeus think of those neighbors? That could get major league ugly, pretty darn quick.
They Ignore each other. I just have to make sure I don't feed him outside.

I have 6 resident bears...7 if last yesrs cub made it through the winter. They'll eat anything that isn't nailed down or painted.
They get into every deer feeder on a regular (daily basis) basis.

Funny story about Game Wardens. I have one that's tagged and wanted to find out how old she was.
I took a picture of the tag and talked to one of the biologists about it (She's at least 20 now)
One of the GW's got mad and said I had to keep them out of the feeders because it was illegal to feed the bears. I put up a "NO BEARS ALLOWED" sign at one feed site and put up a game camera.

Sure enough, a bear came along and started munching corn right beside the sign.

I took the picture to the GW and asked if he could issue a trespassing warrant for the bear.

I never heard another word about the Deer feeders.

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
One of the GW's got mad and said I had to keep them out of the feeders because it was illegal to feed the bears. I put up a "NO BEARS ALLOWED" sign at one feed site and put up a game camera.
Yep, just as effective as "No Guns" signs.

Brilliant proof of concept, Nap!

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:

I took the picture to the GW and asked if he could issue a trespassing warrant for the bear.

I'd like to see him serve it.

levernut

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
§ 29.1-337. Displaying license upon request.
A. Every person who is issued a hunting, trapping or fishing license and is carrying such a license when hunting, trapping or fishing shall present it immediately upon demand of any officer whose duty it is to enforce the game and inland fish laws. Refusing to exhibit the license upon demand of any conservation police officer or other officer shall be a Class 3 misdemeanor.
B. In accordance with § 18.2-133, the hunting, trapping or fishing license shall also be shown upon the demand of any owner or lessee, or of any employee or representative of such owner or lessee, upon whose lands or waters the person may be hunting, fishing or trapping.
C. The Director may supply buttons or license holders and require the license or button to be displayed in a manner he may determine.
(Code 1950, § 29-76; 1987, c. 488; 1989, c. 421; 2007, c. 87.)

------

They have the authority to request to see your hunting license at anytime you are hunting. They don't need probable cause. It is a condition of the issuance of the license. I believe that once they stop you to check for a license when they see you engaged in hunting, they can check to see if your shotgun is plugged.

How about this scenario...

Conservation officer stops waterfowl hunter and demands to see his hunting license. For "officer safety" he disarms the hunter and unloads the shotgun. At that point he would be able to ascertain whether or not the gun was loaded in excessof the legal capacity of a plugged shotgun and whether or not it was loaded with steel shot, since the shells are now in plain sight.

riverrat10k

imported post

peter nap wrote:
The Wolfhound wrote:
What does Zeus think of those neighbors? That could get major league ugly, pretty darn quick.
They Ignore each other. I just have to make sure I don't feed him outside.

I have 6 resident bears...7 if last yesrs cub made it through the winter. They'll eat anything that isn't nailed down or painted.
They get into every deer feeder on a regular (daily basis) basis.

Funny story about Game Wardens. I have one that's tagged and wanted to find out how old she was.
I took a picture of the tag and talked to one of the biologists about it (She's at least 20 now)

That right there is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard!

Ranks right up there with the "dam beavers" story going around the internet.

So the GW was concerned about the bears. Perhaps he would prefer they starve or break into your home for food and be shot. TANSTAFFL, or all actions have consequences.

VaGunTrader

imported post

levernut wrote:
Virginiaplanter wrote:
§ 29.1-337. Displaying license upon request.
A. Every person who is issued a hunting, trapping or fishing license and is carrying such a license when hunting, trapping or fishing shall present it immediately upon demand of any officer whose duty it is to enforce the game and inland fish laws. Refusing to exhibit the license upon demand of any conservation police officer or other officer shall be a Class 3 misdemeanor.
B. In accordance with § 18.2-133, the hunting, trapping or fishing license shall also be shown upon the demand of any owner or lessee, or of any employee or representative of such owner or lessee, upon whose lands or waters the person may be hunting, fishing or trapping.
C. The Director may supply buttons or license holders and require the license or button to be displayed in a manner he may determine.
(Code 1950, § 29-76; 1987, c. 488; 1989, c. 421; 2007, c. 87.)

------

They have the authority to request to see your hunting license at anytime you are hunting. They don't need probable cause. It is a condition of the issuance of the license. I believe that once they stop you to check for a license when they see you engaged in hunting, they can check to see if your shotgun is plugged.

How about this scenario...

Conservation officer stops waterfowl hunter and demands to see his hunting license. For "officer safety" he disarms the hunter and unloads the shotgun. At that point he would be able to ascertain whether or not the gun was loaded in excessof the legal capacity of a plugged shotgun and whether or not it was loaded with steel shot, since the shells are now in plain sight.
does that give the police the right to make hand over my firearm when I'm in my car?