• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

General public cant carry condition 1?

Decoligny

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
And did you get the name of the guy? If he claims to be a GMU officer, a letter to the GMU police chief might be in order if they are uneducated on VA law...
I don't really see why this is necessary.....seems to be rather incendiary for no reason.

Not really. What happens when that officer happens to come across someone who is open carrying in Condition One? The uneducated officer, believing that a criminal act has been committed, will arrest the person open carrying. This officer will then open himself and his force to lawsuits.

By contacting his chief, you would simply be ensuring that an officer who has already shown an ignorance of the law, would receive the training necessary to keep some innocent person from being arrested for commision of a non-criminal act.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree with both sides as to the informing GMU. While I don't see any reason to embarrass the man or cause him problems I do see value in informing the GMU police chief as to a lack of knowledge among his officers.

My solution would be to send a polite letter to the GMU chief telling him that I encountered one of his officers in a semi-professional setting and that said officer expressed the mistaken idea that condition 1 carry by non-LE is illegal in VA. That while you could give the officer's name and specifics of the interaction you see no reason to embarrass the officer or cause him harm and are not writing for that purpose but rather just to inform that chief that there seems to be a misunderstanding of the law by at least one of his officers and that perhaps a refresher on this issue would prevent any future complications for a law abiding citizen, one of his officers, his department or the school.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I agree with both sides as to the informing GMU. While I don't see any reason to embarrass the man or cause him problems I do see value in informing the GMU police chief as to a lack of knowledge among his officers.

My solution would be to send a polite letter to the GMU chief telling him that I encountered one of his officers in a semi-professional setting and that said officer expressed the mistaken idea that condition 1 carry by non-LE is illegal in VA. That while you could give the officer's name and specifics of the interaction you see no reason to embarrass the officer or cause him harm and are not writing for that purpose but rather just to inform that chief that there seems to be a misunderstanding of the law by at least one of his officers and that perhaps a refresher on this issue would prevent any future complications for a law abiding citizen, one of his officers, his department or the school.
I would not even explain it in THOSE words as most non-gun enthusiasts even know what conditions are what. I would SAY (With a round chambered and the hammer back), etc.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ed wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

I would not even explain it in THOSE words as most non-gun enthusiasts even know what conditions are what. I would SAY (With a round chambered and the hammer back), etc.
+1

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Hog wash!!! ...

My sentiments, exactly. Though the cop probably knows it's hogwash. The technical legal term for this technique is, "dust in the eyes"; they say things that they want the public to believe, knowing that most people will accept whatever they say as true, and act on it as if it were. They know they're lying, but it's not illegal to lie (it could be legal malpractice), and they see it as a method of social control. Like putting up a 25 mph speed limit sign some place where they really want the traffic to do 35 or less, and where they have no intention of actually writing up any tickets.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Toad wrote:
The only problem I see going here is that people continue to ask permission!!! This whole garbage idea of asking permission has got to stop.
It really reminds me of the lines 'Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies' and 'It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission'
I only ask out of respect and not ruining a night with my girlfriend. I understand your thoughts on this and I completely respect, but it is something that has always been expected of me. And it is something I dont feel comfortable about doing.

I remember some years ago when Loudoun County was on the verge of becoming developed; people had bumper stickers that said, "Don't Fairfax Loudoun!" Well, I say, "Don't France/Italy the United States!" In those countries, one may do whatever is expressly permitted; here one may do whatever is not expressly prohibited. Let's keep that straight. Romance language and culture is the enemy of freedom.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

user wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Toad wrote:
The only problem I see going here is that people continue to ask permission!!! This whole garbage idea of asking permission has got to stop.
It really reminds me of the lines 'Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies' and 'It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission'
I only ask out of respect and not ruining a night with my girlfriend. I understand your thoughts on this and I completely respect, but it is something that has always been expected of me. And it is something I dont feel comfortable about doing.

I remember some years ago when Loudoun County was on the verge of becoming developed; people had bumper stickers that said, "Don't Fairfax Loudoun!" Well, I say, "Don't France/Italy the United States!" In those countries, one may do whatever is expressly permitted; here one may do whatever is not expressly prohibited. Let's keep that straight. Romance language and culture is the enemy of freedom.
Soon after the private takeovers starting occurring with the current administration, I put up a little sign I made in my module at work. It simply said,

"Don't Europe America"

Wangmuf

imported post

I ran into another person that had this ingrained into their brain as law over the weekend. My girlfriend's bro-in-law was all aghast when I dropped the mag and cleared the chambered round this weekend when he asked to take a peep at my sidearm. He was flabbergasted that I'd carry a gun with one in the pipe, stating that I'm asking to get in trouble. He knew OC was legal, but thought I'd get raked over the coals if LE ever found out I carried ready to go. I had to inform him that there's no statute in VA state code prohibiting carrying +1.

I made a concession this weekend, too. He asked me not to carry with one in the chamber around his kids, and I said OK.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
He asked me not to carry with one in the chamber around his kids, and I said OK.

That is one of the times that you should carry with one in the pipe.

I'm amazed at how many students are "blown away" when I tell them that I absolutely carry withone in the pipe. Then I explain the 21 foot rule and it all becomes clear.

Wangmuf

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
He asked me not to carry with one in the chamber around his kids, and I said OK.

That is one of the times that you should carry with one in the pipe.

I'm amazed at how many students are "blown away" when I tell them that I absolutely carry withone in the pipe. Then I explain the 21 foot rule and it all becomes clear.

I'd rather make a concession to only have a loaded mag in the handgun on my hip than put a frame-lock on my pistol. It's a lot faster to draw and rack the slide than it is to run to another room, get my pistol from a safe, unlock the frame lock, load a mag, chamber a round, and load a full mag.

It wasn't my house, I had no ground to stand on by defying his wishes. I'm not driving 2 hours back home and depriving my girlfriend from seeing her mom, sisters, nieces and nephew for 3 days just to stand my ground that my loaded handgun in its holster poses no threat to anyone.

My Emerson CQC7+wave is a fast ass knife. It deploys faster than anyone can close 21' with a non-gun weapon.

I do understand what you're saying, though, I think. My sister and her family live close to me, about 8 miles away. I've talked with them already, and "war-gamed" with my bro-in-law with an empty gun in my holster, him trying to relieve me of my pistol. It didn't work. He never cleared kydex, and either had the back of his hand/wrist "cut" every time, or ended up on his ass with a gun in his stomach. He knows my nieces and nephew won't get their hands on my gun and has no problems with me carrying +1. Distance from home and frequency in which my girlfriend gets to see her family played the majority influence in my concession this weekend.

Shit's situational, ya know?