• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting legislation for EMS to carry firearms

TFred

This one hits a little closer to home... Suspect fatally shot by trooper in a rescue squad parking lot after brandishing a firearm at the trooper.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/16371912/suspect-killed-by-va-trooper-in-struggle-ided
Wow, talk about a report that leaves out information... Interesting question, does this major lapse come from the VSP story to the reporter or the reporter's writing the article?

Miller saw the vehicle and approached it. He then saw Lyall inside and the two struggled.

TFred

Marco

I am going to try and come to lobby day I will not be carrying though as I do not have my permit yet. I have had a million and one things go on and just forgot to submit my application to the court.

We can ride share, if you like.
Since you get better MPG maybe you can drive, if we get more folks from our area I'll drive seeing I have a 8 seater.
I'm in the process of arranging a gun bearer as I choose not to renew my UT permit last yr, so I can't legal carry in the GA buiding either.

TFred

We can ride share, if you like.
Since you get better MPG maybe you can drive, if we get more folks from our area I'll drive seeing I have a 8 seater.
I'm in the process of arranging a gun bearer as I choose not to renew my UT permit last yr, so I can't legal carry in the GA buiding either.
Did you see that they changed their law? If you don't have a home-state permit, they won't let you get a UT permit any more. :(

TFred

Marco

Did you see that they changed their law? If you don't have a home-state permit, they won't let you get a UT permit any more. :(

TFred
I did, it doesn't/didn't effect me, my hm state permit NV.

Sorry for the derail.
see further coments regarding ride sharing in the car pool lane.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A Fayette County man was arraigned today on charges of aggravated assault after police said he swung a shovel at a medic answering a call at a neighboring apartment late Sunday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207016-100.stm#ixzz1lMGc7bs0

Who are you trying to convince Paramedic?
It's a dangerous world. I was attacked a couple of weeks ago and I'm not even Emergency Services.

You have the ability to carry but are concerned about a possible conflict or misinterpretation of the rules. Direct some energy into resolving that rather than going on about what a jungle it is in the Emergency business. You're starting to sound like Novacop.:banghead:

The legislative window is closed. Work on the Administrative interpretation.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Seriously?

So I spend a minute of my time to post a news item. Why does this aggravate you?

It doesn't aggravate me other than I don't really give a tinkers damn what happens in New Mexico and the war stories are getting a little thin.

You all started this thread because you wanted to get legislative approval for a rule that already existed. That didn't get a lot of effort. Instead it turned into a "It's a jungle out there" and looky what happens across the nation thread.

Between Mayhem doing a damn good job of portraying Hank T and the EMT's countering with every story about first responders stubbing a toe, not to mention the considerable P4P that's gone into this, it's getting old.

paramedic70002

Wow. I guess it's come down to either you stop reading this thread or the rest of us stop posting to it. BTW "you all" ain't me. One person started this thread and it wasn't paramedic70002. And since many of the news reports here are about EMS providers being shot and/or killed, your "stubbed toe" comment speaks volumes about how you feel about all of us. You know we might ride in big shiny white boxes but we're still a good lot of pro-2A humans. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wow. I guess it's come down to either you stop reading this thread or the rest of us stop posting to it. BTW "you all" ain't me. One person started this thread and it wasn't paramedic70002. And since many of the news reports here are about EMS providers being shot and/or killed, your "stubbed toe" comment speaks volumes about how you feel about all of us. You know we might ride in big shiny white boxes but we're still a good lot of pro-2A humans. Thanks a lot.

Yep to just about everything you said!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I think you misunderstand Skid's remarks - he is not opposed in any way to EMS carrying. Just read that he doesn't see EMS as being any more special than the rest of the good folks.

Originally the EMS carrying situation was directly related to Virgina by virtue of Jay's remarks (even though there was little direct tie in with OC) so perhaps properly located in the VA sub-forum. However the post references have been drawn from all over the country and belong more correctly in the General Discussion sub-forum - hence moving it there.

Your collection/documentation will be useful in seeking a patron for a bill and in presenting your thoughts to the GA. Please keep up the good work.

DrakeZ07

DO NOT WANT. lol.

Though I'm unemployed now, I worked for a few years at a couple places, Bath, Montgomery Co stations, and for Rural Metro. I'm too old fashioned in thinking our job is one of peace, and compassion. Leave the on-the-job carry to LEO's and Firefighters.

Firedawg314

Just some thoughts... any such legislation would have to override all other authorities that prohibited you to carry. Just like LEOs. You will never know where you might be called to treat someone who is ill or injured, you can't be concerned with school property lines, or federal buildings, etc, etc, etc.

TFred

If such legislation were to pass... it would be a "bondified" duty to carry the firearm... so those property lines, etc won't mean anything. Its like when a fire fighter comes to your house with an ax... yeah its a deadly weapon... but its understood for its intended purpose. Like with a LEO, their firearm are supposed to be an emergency tool... not a means to kill people.

Firedawg314

DO NOT WANT. lol.

Though I'm unemployed now, I worked for a few years at a couple places, Bath, Montgomery Co stations, and for Rural Metro. I'm too old fashioned in thinking our job is one of peace, and compassion. Leave the on-the-job carry to LEO's and Firefighters.

You are right to feel the way you do... but (even as I am an active firefighter), I think all EMS (medics and firefighters) need to carry on the job. Even though our job is of "peace and compassion" to serve, there are too many people who do not respect EMS personnel. Think about it, if youhave those kids who disrepect teachers... then grow up... disrespecting LEO's... what do you think their mindset is going to be towards EMS? Sometimes... its just the fact a person see a weapon on your hip... will make some people "check" their attitude.

Just to add... some people think its about location (city vs county), it really doesn't matter. Either the person is far gone on drugs, ex'es mad, coustody problems, etc. First thing those people think... oh, they are unarmed... Not too many people think of "jumping" a cop. Some do, but that's another story.

paramedic70002

DO NOT WANT. lol.

DrakeZ07, welcome to OCDO. lol.

Seems you are no longer in EMS so I assume you don't want an EMS provider coming to YOUR house armed. Definitely that you don't want it for yourself. You realize that no one is trying to FORCE EMS to be armed, right?

In my experience there is very little 'peace' in EMS. EMS usually involves people who are having some type of crisis, either illness or injury. There are usually family members in attendance who are concerned and in an unpleasant mood, either with the patient or the EMS providers. They are either arguing with the patient that they should or should not go to the hospital, loudly arguing about the symptoms, answering FOR the patient so that I can't hear what the patient says, or arguing with the EMS crew about why we don't 'just take her to the hospital' instead of 'wasting time' taking the blood pressure, pulse, respirations, pulse oximetry, complaint, signs, symptoms, etc., collecting the patient's medications, then 'wasting time' putting the patient on a heart monitor, starting an IV, checking their blood sugar, asking them to perform a stroke rule-out exam, or fiddling with emergency drugs that NEVER come in a convenient delivery system. This is of course after telling us it took too long to get there in the first place. Or, we're trying to get a family out of an overturned SUV in 2 feet of ditch water while ensuring that the patients' spines are kept in-line and no one drowns in their own secretions or bleeds to death before we can stop the flow.

Quite often the patient is anxious and in respiratory distress or having some type of pain, usually head (Oh my God she's having a stroke YOU NEED TO HURRY!) chest (Oh my God you need to hurry, can't you see she's DYING!) or belly (Oh my God she's having an ANEURISM, what are you waiting for!) pain. Then we have the ones who choose to put an unknown strength and quantity of a chemical in their body and then when it works too well, we have to deal with their 'friends' and the patient's erratic behavior. Another troubling subset of the population, the deranged. Completely unpredictable and frequent users of EMS. The list really does go on and on.

Needless to say, patients and family are having a bad day and contributing to increased chaos, not peace. I have all the sympathy in the world for convenience store workers and everyone else who has to deal with the public and go about their workday unarmed. All I'm saying here is that, in my humble opinion, EMS workers are at a heightened risk of dealing with hostile citizens as a normal part of their work day. Pretty much every patient contact involved stressed out 'customers' who can and do become hostile and sometimes violent. This fact puts EMS (and Fire) in a similarly hazardous situation as Law Enforcement, the main difference (firearms speaking) being that LEOs can and do use their firearms to control and affect arrests in addition to the use of the firearm for self defense.

paramedic70002