• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great News- POS Morse Recalled over "gun control" support

eye95

no one likes you. go play in traffic

I would hazard a guess that he is more liked on this site than you are. I have my set-to's with him. But I respect a lot of what he says and does. I won't say the same about you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Jeff Hayes

I would hazard a guess that he is more liked on this site than you are. I have my set-to's with him. But I respect a lot of what he says and does. I won't say the same about you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Nothing wrong with a good set-to we all learn more when there is some passion behind our arguments.

OC for ME

35 senators and 25 are democrats. two down and 25 to go. Good work Colorado, or the parts that elected those two to begin with. Now how about getting the laws repealed that started this brouhaha.

GTShooter

Really, you're making this celebration into a race thing.........? Wow!

Thank you Colorado!!!!

While Obama is on the TV talking about the advocacy of a possible "shot accross the bow" in Syria, Colorado delivers a real shot accross Obama's bow.

Morse was a Police Chief--as a group, LEO is not to be trusted.

The Latina was more interested in delivering largess from government coffers to her "La Raza" than being a representative for her entire district. Good bye "Latina."

markm

papa bear

i wanted to say Congratulations CO. you really pulled it of

on e of the biggest things about this victory is, that it is directly contacted to the Gun issue. these guys were directly thrown out due to their gun infringement policies

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
To iterate, don't hold us to a Journalism School's ethic, an ethic that pros in the liberal dominated media don't adhere to.

Somebody never heard of "taking the high road".

It's a good thread and we all realize that we are neophytes at this avocation.

Since you admit to being a "neophyte", you might consider taking well-meaning advice from those who are not, rather than becoming puerile and defensive.

Last edited:

Freiheit417

attachment.php

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Can you hear us now!?

Unfortunately, unlike Colorado, we don't have the ability to recall here in Connecticut. BUT WE WILL NOT FORGET! November 2014 is not far away!

Nice job Colorado!

Attachments

• donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg
    donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 264

OC for ME

For decades CO was a red state and thus more liberty centric than not. In just two election cycles it became blue and anti-liberty. A slight purple hue seems to be manifesting itself but there is a great deal more work to do. This recall is being held up as a referendum with national implications instead of what it really is, two senatorial districts in only one state with a majority of the voters POd at the folks they elected. Unfortunately not much will result from this and the new senators may very well be fired come the next election and be replaced with liberals.

A temporary victory?

Dave Workman

Colorado becomes ‘The Denial State’

Three days after a grassroots wave of gun owner anger ousted two Colorado state senators over their key involvement in passing the state’s restrictive new gun laws, some pundits today are looking at the state of denial into which one of those senators, the governor and Democratic National Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz have descended.

http://www.examiner.com/article/colorado-becomes-the-denial-state

THE PEOPLE trying to run cover over the reason this recall went down are simply pathetic. :banghead:

Saxxon

Kopel noted it wasn't just the ire over the gun laws that drove this, but the ire over the way they were rammed thru. Morse, Giron et al limited testimony against all precedent and practice and denied a voice to the thousand plus of us that were at the capitol on March 4th.

CAN YOU HEAR US NOW MR. MORSE? < the sickness lifted from Colorado

SteveInCO

Kopel noted it wasn't just the ire over the gun laws that drove this, but the ire over the way they were rammed thru. Morse, Giron et al limited testimony against all precedent and practice and denied a voice to the thousand plus of us that were at the capitol on March 4th.

CAN YOU HEAR US NOW MR. MORSE? < the sickness lifted from Colorado

It didn't help them that Morse is on tape urging his caucus to ignore their constituents, either.

http://completecolorado.com/pagetwo/2013/09/11/colorado-recalls-about-more-than-just-guns/

I seriously doubt that if you all had testified, it would have made any difference whatsoever; they had already made up their minds. So it's not the fact that they didn't let you speak that made your journey ultimately unproductive (though I for one am glad you were able to; I had to work that day). It was the fact that they were utterly unwilling to give a flying f*** what you thought, spoken or unspoken, and were unable or unwilling to give a flying f*** about the concept of individual rights.

On a not entirely unrelated note:

One fallacy we need to make sure we avoid is "they didn't vote the way I wanted them to, therefore they did not listen to me." It is their job to make the correct decision, which is not necessarily the one that is the most popular at the time.

But it would also be fallacious to use that to give them free rein to do whatever their ideology suggests they are to do. One thing a government must not do is violate the rights of the law-abiding (its sole purpose, in my opinion, is to protect rights), and these laws do precisely that in spades. It may sometimes be necessary for a politician to do something unpopular but right, but in this instance it was something both unpopular and wrong.

RandallFlagg

It didn't help them that Morse is on tape urging his caucus to ignore their constituents, either.

http://completecolorado.com/pagetwo/2013/09/11/colorado-recalls-about-more-than-just-guns/

I seriously doubt that if you all had testified, it would have made any difference whatsoever; they had already made up their minds. So it's not the fact that they didn't let you speak that made your journey ultimately unproductive (though I for one am glad you were able to; I had to work that day). It was the fact that they were utterly unwilling to give a flying f*** what you thought, spoken or unspoken, and were unable or unwilling to give a flying f*** about the concept of individual rights.

I actually took a personal day off from my job at Coors, telling them that I was going to go downtown to testify in support of arming teachers (SB-009).
I was seen on three local news channels that night.
The looks on the faces of the republicans (Renfroe, Harvey, King and Lundberg) was that of earnest drive to get it done. The looks on the faces of the democrats (Ulibarri, Guzman and Aguilar) was that of, "We're just here to be here. We couldn't care less for these people testifying." Made me feel so disgusted when I walked out of that building into the snow -We outnumbered the antigun testimony by about 100 to 1.

Here's a video about that day. A compilation from 2 different news segments with my commentary in captions:
[video=youtube_share;0YKZ6caE0-k]http://youtu.be/0YKZ6caE0-k[/video]

Gunslinger

35 senators and 25 are democrats. two down and 25 to go. Good work Colorado, or the parts that elected those two to begin with. Now how about getting the laws repealed that started this brouhaha.

18 democraps, 17 Republicans after we took out the trash in the recall. If there was one decent democrat who had a bellyful of kissing bloomjerk's ass, we could take it over.

Gunslinger

Two questions Zach,

1. Why did you title the thread in the past tense--recalled--when only 70% of the votes are counted as of a moment ago when I checked?

2. Why did you put POS in the thread title? Did you really think those who might read it would want to know that's your level of discourse?

Fact is, my friend, morse is a pos. Arrogant, self-serving idiot who put himself above the people and tried to ram through a gun law even his own cockroach party thought too extreme--and unconstitutional, btw. The Republicans ran a weak candidate--had been defeated in running for City Council in COS not long ago, and he still won. I'd like to see him replaced before the '14 elections. Roadkill would be preferable to morse.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Roadkill would be better than almost any legislator.

Fact is, I'm of the mind that, should we ever get our Republic back on track, we should ban legislatures outright.

This notion that the basic nature of justice (or the means to achieve it) is in such constant flux as to require constant legislative reaction, is childishly thoughtless, and a recipe for tyranny.

Or, perhaps we could just say, "we've got enough laws for the next century at least", and keep the legislatures in existence, but with no power but to repeal old law.

:)

SteveInCO

Roadkill would be better than almost any legislator.

Fact is, I'm of the mind that, should we ever get our Republic back on track, we should ban legislatures outright.

This notion that the basic nature of justice (or the means to achieve it) is in such constant flux as to require constant legislative reaction, is childishly thoughtless, and a recipe for tyranny.

Or, perhaps we could just say, "we've got enough laws for the next century at least", and keep the legislatures in existence, but with no power but to repeal old law.

:)

The fact of the matter is the legislature also sets the yearly budget, which is something that does have to be done, unfortunately, since finances change. That job is complicated by that fact that the government does a lot of things over and above what it should be doing (which is simply protecting our rights--and boy is it a failure at that). It also can create or abolish government offices, and the like (e.g., the highway patrol, universities, highway department, etc.).

I do think there's no point in having a bicameral legislature like the one we have today; it's imitation of the federal one, which did have a purpose. I can't recall if it's Kansas or Nebraska that simply got rid of one house; it doesn't seem to have inconvenienced them in the slightest. A bicameral legislature simply obfuscates the process. A legislator, secretly having agenda A, can safely vote for its opposite in the confidence that what his constituents want will die in the other chamber or in conference committee. Or can complain that it wouldn't get out of committee in the other house--packed with people with "safe" seats.

On the other hand I am intrigued by an idea that showed up in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, by Robert A. Heinlein. The character was brainstorming, throwing out a lot of ideas, but this one was interesting. Have one chamber that passed laws. Laws, however, needed a 2/3rds majority to pass! The other chamber, on the other hand, could only repeal laws. By a ONE THIRD vote. The logic being that if a law could not get and maintain a 2/3rds majority in favor, it probably wasn't an obvious malum in se (Latin for wrong in and of itself regardless of the law) wrong being prohibited.

I am not sure how the government budget, organization, etc. would be handled by such a legislature--maybe the way they work now. But maybe anything that goes into the CRS should work this way. It could be done by fairly simple amendment, where we specify that additions to the endlessly revised Colorado statutes would be created by 2/3rds vote of the house (plus governor's signature), and anything in the CRS could be deleted by 1/3rds vote of the senate (no governor signature). Or swap the roles of the house and senate. A change in phrasing would have to work its way through both houses, the deleting house first deleting the old wording and the adding house adding in the new.