• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great News- POS Morse Recalled over "gun control" support

markm

Somebody never heard of "taking the high road".

Since you admit to being a "neophyte", you might consider taking well-meaning advice from those who are not, rather than becoming puerile and defensive.

Hey Marshaul,

So what J-school did you graduate from? Clearly, your education level has exceeded your intelligence level.

Do you know the difference between an avocation and a vocation?

All who post here are involved in an avocation. The standard for ethical discourse and decorum are much lower for any avocation. This is not a formal vocation governed by a Bar Association, Guild, Medical Board, or Scientific Peer Review community.

Usually, when I read your posts, I don't know what to think of your statements. Sniping seems to be your vocation. Does it pay well?

markm

markm

Really, you're making this celebration into a race thing.........? Wow!

Hello GTShooter,

I am sorry that you did not read the article that was posted above. Also, there are other articles available to you on the web from established news organizations.

Giron is a self-proclaimed "Latina." Her race and gender is important to HER. She is the sexist racist.

My mistake was not linking the articles and explaining to you what she clearly believes.

As stated earlier, I have not graduated from a J-school and I am not a professional journalist, so please don't hold me to that ethical standard.

Next time, do some research before you smear a person who does not have a racist bone in his body.

My kids are mixed race.

markm

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
True... what did you think about the rest of my post?

I've read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and always enjoyed its political musings.

I think Heinlein was on the right track. His logic is reminiscent of Spooner's defense of the Trial by Jury, wherein he argues that it functions as a check on the majority (and their legislatures), ensuring that no law can be enforced expect those with which substantially the entire nation would agree with.

Jefferson also had a notion that all laws ought to expire after a set period – 18 years or so. While legislatures would have little difficulty renewing laws which prohibit, say, murder (although one could argue the common law takes care of that), they might have a much more difficult time finding political capital to renew the unpopular prohibitions of generations past.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Hey Marshaul,

So what J-school did you graduate from? Clearly, your education level has exceeded your intelligence level.

Do you know the difference between an avocation and a vocation?

All who post here are involved in an avocation. The standard for ethical discourse and decorum are much lower for any avocation. This is not a formal vocation governed by a Bar Association, Guild, Medical Board, or Scientific Peer Review community.

:rolleyes:

Usually, when I read your posts, I don't know what to think of your statements.

Then it would seem that both your education level and your intelligence level are lacking.

Gunslinger

I've read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and always enjoyed its political musings.

I think Heinlein was on the right track. His logic is reminiscent of Spooner's defense of the Trial by Jury, wherein he argues that it functions as a check on the majority (and their legislatures), ensuring that no law can be enforced expect those with which substantially the entire nation would agree with.

Jefferson also had a notion that all laws ought to expire after a set period – 18 years or so. While legislatures would have little difficulty renewing laws which prohibit, say, murder (although one could argue the common law takes care of that), they might have a much more difficult time finding political capital to renew the unpopular prohibitions of generations past.

"Sunset" laws are an example of good government. The so called "assault weapons" ban being a prime example. Rousseau beat Jefferson to the punch on this one. A social contract exists, whether our rulers want to acknowledge it or not. We need to replace the 'rulers' with leaders. The 2 rat turds we kicked out is a good start here in Kolorado.

markm

Hey Marshaul,

That was a very good post!!! +1

I agree with the viewpoint you were expressing with your paraphases of Heinliein, Spooner, and Jefferson; very profound.

Thanks for adding something positive to the discussion.

markm

Last edited:

Lasjayhawk

You should read Grumbles from the Grave. The letter he wrote to the editor of Red Planet is priceless (Starts on pp54 of the hardcover)
At one point he tells her "I have one of my characters say that the right to bear arms is the basis of all human freedoms. I strongly believe that, but you required me to blue-pencil it."

SteveInCO

You should read Grumbles from the Grave. The letter he wrote to the editor of Red Planet is priceless (Starts on pp54 of the hardcover)
At one point he tells her "I have one of my characters say that the right to bear arms is the basis of all human freedoms. I strongly believe that, but you required me to blue-pencil it."

Starts on page 61 of the paperback.

Heinlein is sorely missed on this ranch.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran