• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Bay "Leaders" Want Guns Out of Parks

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Here is the reply I received from my email to the President of the GB City Council:

Re: Fire arms ordinance in City Parks‏ From: Chris Wery (cwery1@new.rr.com) Sent: Sun 8/30/09 9:32 PM To: James Gleason (j.gleason@hotmail.com) .

Mr Gleason, Thanks for the email. I agree.

Alderman Chris Wery
Green Bay City Council President
cwery1@new.rr.com
920-490-9282
http://c.wery.tripod.com
----- Original Message ----- From: James Gleason To: cwery1@new.rr.com ; guyzima1@yahoo.com ; vanderleey@hotmail.com ; tweber@new.rr.com ; cjeffreys@new.rr.com ; district6@ci.green-bay.wi.us ; tonytheisen@netzero.com ; dewanes15@tds.net Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:25 AM Subject: Fire arms ordinance in City Parks
August 26, 2009
Councilman Wery,

I am contacting you in regards to the recent City Parks Commission decision to call on the City Council in regards to prohibition of fire arms in city parks. While some council member's email is not available, I would request that you pas this information on to those members as necessary.

As the City Parks Commission is forming conclusion through incomplete information as given by the City Attorneys, I would like to bring some facts to your attention in an effort to save the City of Green bay a great deal of hardship and grief over an ordinance which would not be enforceable.

Passing a prohibition of fire arms in City Parks would not only infringe on an individual’s 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment Rights, in both the state and U.S. Constitutions, it would also violate the state pre-emptive statute.
Before attempting to enact such a pre-empted ordinance, the City Council should bring their attention to two court cases concerning this issue. Namely, State vs Hamdan and State vs Vegas, in which the court decided in both cases that the right to bear arms for security , self defense and other lawful purposes is supported and legal under the State and U.S. Constitutions
State Statute 66.0409 reads:
66.0409 Local regulation of firearms. (1)
“Firearm” has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (c).
“Political subdivision” means a city, village, town or
county.]
(c) “Sport shooting range” means an area designed and operated
for the practice of weapons used in hunting, skeet shooting
and similar sport shooting.
(2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision
may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates
the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping,
possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting,
registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including
ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or
resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than,
a state statute.
(3)(a) Nothing in this section prohibits a county from imposing
a sales tax or use tax under subch. V of ch. 77 on any firearm
or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components,
sold in the county.
(b) Nothing in this section prohibits a city, village or town that
is authorized to exercise village powers under s. 60.22 (3) from
enacting an ordinance or adopting a resolution that restricts the
discharge of a firearm.
(4) [size=(a) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision
from continuing to enforce an ordinance or resolution that is in
effect on November 18, 1995, and that regulates the sale, purchase,
transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing,
transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of
any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and
reloader components, if the ordinance or resolution is the same as
or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.
[b]Updated 07−08 Wis. Stats. Database 40][/b]
66.0409 MUNICIPAL LAW Not certified under s. 35.18 (2), stats.
Text from the 2007−08 Wis. Stats. database updated by the Legislative Reference Bureau. Only printed statutes are certified
under s. 35.18 (2), stats. Statutory changes effective prior to 9−1−09 are printed as if currently in effect. Statutory changes effective
on or after 9−1−09 are designated by NOTES. Report errors at (608) 266−3561, FAX 264−6948, http://www.legis.
state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html
(am) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision
from continuing to enforce until November 30, 1998, an ordinance
or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and
that requires a waiting period of not more than 7 days for the purchase
of a handgun.
(b) If a political subdivision has in effect on November 17,
1995, an ordinance or resolution that regulates the sale, purchase,
transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation,
licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm
or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components,
and the ordinance or resolution is not the same as or similar
to a state statute, the ordinance or resolution shall have no legal
effect and the political subdivision may not enforce the ordinance
or resolution on or after November 18, 1995.
(c) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision
from enacting and enforcing a zoning ordinance that regulates the
new construction of a sport shooting range or when the expansion
of an existing sport shooting range would impact public health and
safety.
(5)A county ordinance that is enacted or a county resolution
that is adopted by a county under sub. (2) or a county ordinance
or resolution that remains in effect under sub. (4) (a) or (am)
applies only in those towns in the county that have not enacted an
ordinance or adopted a resolution under sub. (2) or that continue
to enforce an ordinance or resolution under sub. (4) (a) or (am),
except that this subsection does not apply to a sales or use tax that
is imposed under subch. V of ch. 77.
History1995 a. 72; 1999 a. 150 s. 260; Stats. 1999 s. 66.0409.
This section does not prohibit municipalities from enacting and enforcing zoning
ordinances that apply to sport shooting ranges. Town of Avon v. Oliver, 2002 WI App

Where as, an ordinance created or enforced to prohibit fire arms in City Parks would be in violation of State Statute 66.0409 in that creating a prohibition in City level parks would create a greater area of prohibition the at the State Park level.
Since there are more City Parks then state parks the area of restriction becomes greater, therefore being more stringent then the State Statute prohibiting fire arms in state parks.
An excellent example would be the City of Sheboygan. The City of Sheboygan hosts Kohler Andre State Park. Within that state park the city can enforce the fire arms restriction in accordance with state law.
However, any fire arms restrictions within the city parks is pre-empted by state statute 66.0409 and can not be enforced.
Therefore, any ordinance created by the Green Bay City Council would violate the state pre-emptive statute 66.0409 and would not be enforceable.
Enforcement of such a pre-empted ordinance would bring civil suit against the City of Green Bay and the officers and department enforcing such ordinance.
Can the City of Green Bay afford such a suit?
The U.S.Code reads,

TITLE 42 > CHAPTER 21 > SUBCHAPTER I > §1983
Prev | Next
§1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer’s judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.

Again, enforcing an individual’s right to bear arms.
I would sincerely hope that the City Council will consider these facts before creating or enforcing an ordinance which would violate State Statute 66.0409 or an individual’s Constitutional Rights.

I sincerely thank you for your consideration in this matter and eagerly wait your reply.

James Gleason

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Here is the reply I received from my email to the President of the GB City Council:

Re: Fire arms ordinance in City Parks‏ From: Chris Wery (cwery1@new.rr.com) Sent: Sun 8/30/09 9:32 PM To: James Gleason (j.gleason@hotmail.com) .

Mr Gleason, Thanks for the email. I agree.

Alderman Chris Wery
Green Bay City Council President
cwery1@new.rr.com
920-490-9282
http://c.wery.tripod.com

----- Original Message ----- From: James Gleason To: cwery1@new.rr.com ; guyzima1@yahoo.com ; vanderleey@hotmail.com ; tweber@new.rr.com ; cjeffreys@new.rr.com ; district6@ci.green-bay.wi.us ; tonytheisen@netzero.com ; dewanes15@tds.net Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:25 AM Subject: Fire arms ordinance in City Parks
August 26, 2009
Councilman Wery,

I am contacting you in regards to the recent City Parks Commission decision to call on the City Council in regards to prohibition of fire arms in city parks. While some council member's email is not available, I would request that you pas this information on to those members as necessary.​
OK, good work, a little long, but good - everybody in Green bay should be doing same with email and phone calls, politely - emphacise risk of litigationa nd putting police in the middle of a political battle etc.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Mike wrote:
everybody in Green bay should be doing same with email and phone calls, politely - emphacise risk of litigationa nd putting police in the middle of a political battle etc.
I am not even in Green bay. But I still made my point.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Mike wrote:
everybody in Green bay should be doing same with email and phone calls, politely - emphacise risk of litigationa nd putting police in the middle of a political battle etc.
I am not even in Green bay. But I still made my point.
great, the more the merrrier provided they at least live in Wisconsin, but we need real life Green BVay residents to go to the meeting and stand up andsay "My name is ____ and I live at _____, here in green Bay and I oppose your park ban plan because _____, thanks you for your time."

SprayAndPray

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
5face to face so far. Monday I hope to contact more and have a good idea what we are up against.

Whats the count look like so far?

who have you talked to that seems at least open to the idea of voting against it , so maybe we could ramp up our efforts targeted where it may do some good as oppoled to the " my 9 year old would want one " morons

SprayAndPray

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Just a thought. If they want to stop you from having Open carry Picnics in Parks then why not have Open Carry Block Party's?

Or Open Carry Street dances?
The goal is not to have "events". Events are only held for education. The goal is to open carry during your mundane daily tasks. If people are only willing to carry at events, then it is a right not exercised...... and they win.

I see where you are coming from , but if nothing else, a block party (especially one that got as much attention as the picnic, would be a slap in the face of the council if they pass this....

stupid people should be slapped in the face , so I am all for it ( and happen to live on a cul de sac not in a school zone)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Channel 5 , wfrv in Green Bay interviewed me this afternoon in regards to the meeting tonight. it might be on as early as 5pm or 6:00 pm or 10:00pm or all 3 times.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Flipper wrote:
Come on folks --- does anyone think thatthiswould have been introduced and researched by city attorneywithout the blessing of the Green Bay mayor?
Apparently, I was premature in my defense of the Mayor in this matter. He was apparently directly involved in the discussions which resulted in the drafting of this communication to the Park Committee in requesting that this be discussed. This is disappointing.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Apparently, I was premature in my defense of the Mayor in this matter. He was apparently directly involved in the discussions which resulted in the drafting of this communication to the Park Committee in requesting that this be discussed. This is disappointing.
This defense?

Yes, I actually do. If you had ever dealt with Ms Allison, you would understand. Mayor is not foaming at the mouth like Bloomberg is. Although I have not seen him speak out in favor of 2nd Amendment Rights or on the curtailment of them. I believe that it is a case of him not educating himself on the issues and he does not understand that "Mayors Against Guns" truly stands for the infringement of 2nd Amendment Rights for reasonable responsible adults but does nothing about actual crime. ...
Willful and invincible ignorance.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Flipper wrote:
Come on folks --- does anyone think thatthiswould have been introduced and researched by city attorneywithout the blessing of the Green Bay mayor?
Hence the word assume, making an ass of u and me

I hope all of you from GB will remember this at election time and work very hard to help this mayor lose his seat.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Hence the word assume, making an ass of u and me

I hope all of you from GB will remember this at election time and work very hard to help this mayor lose his seat.
Although he may have been aware of it (the proposal) and participated in it, I stilldo believe that itoriginated with him. I am not ready to write him off quite yet.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Although he may have been aware of it (the proposal) and participated in it, I stilldo believe that itoriginated with him. I am not ready to write him off quite yet.
Regardless! The GB mayor is on the list of Mayors Against Guns. We are not talking about illegal guns here. We are talking about the guns of law abiding citizens.

Until he personally takes his name off of that list he is considered a tyrant and should be voted out of office.

Both he or his words can not be trusted. He will only tell you what he thinks you want to hear in order to win votes.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Current weasel for a Mayor we have in Green Bay needs to go:banghead:. No back bone& CAN'T tell the truth. He was the reason this vote took place. I can't wait for the next election.

AaronS

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
The Current weasel for a Mayor we have in Green Bay needs to go:banghead:. No back bone& CAN'T tell the truth. He was the reason this vote took place. I can't wait for the next election.
Hey, you should try our Milwaukee Mayor... Yep, I cant wait for election day...

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Hey, you should try our Milwaukee Mayor... Yep, I cant wait for election day...
What about those mayors in northern & central Wis that also aremembers of Mayors Against Guns? What are small town Wisconsin mayors doing in the same room with out of state big city slicks like Bloomberg &Daily?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Flipper wrote:
What about those mayors in northern & central Wis
Where can a guy see a list of these anti-2A mayors?
Do they have a "Town Supervisors Against guns" organization too?

The Minocqua town supervisor (our version of a mayor)is pro-2A, he has posted in this forum on a few occasions too.
He co-authored the firearmspremption bill (66.049) and accompanied usduring our Minocqua O-C walk that was highlighted in the lakeland times a few months back.