• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

guns with silencers

Silverfox44

imported post

I am a new member and came across your post and have a question for you.

I posses a CCP issued by the State of WA. I currently own a Glock 19, SW model 460, & Taurus 45/410 (THE JUDGE).

I would like to know if it is legal to own a silencer in this State and how do you go about getting one, along with do you have to take your gun to a gunsmith to attach the silencer?

BluesBear

imported post

I would like to know if it is legal to own a silencer in this State

Yes possession of one is lawful at the present time USING one however is not. There are no Washington state regulations regarding ownership. But using one can possibly get you imprisoned.

and how do you go about getting one,

You locate the supressor you want, you pay for it, then you complete the Federal paperwork, pay the Tax and sit around for several months waiting for Federal approval. After you're approved you can take delivery.

along with do you have to take your gun to a gunsmith to attach the silencer?

That will depend on the gun on which you wish to mount the supressor. Different companies make different models with different mounting options. You can find a model to fit just about anything with a sealed breech.

Right now your Glock is the only gun in your list you can mount a supressor onto. You can purchase an aftermarket barrel already threaded/lugged for a supressor. With one of those it's a simple matter to swap the barrel and then attach and detach the supressor. Unless you are looking for an integral supressor that becomes part of the barrel.

I think Agent47 is about the only one of us who currently owns a supressor. He can probably add more regarding purchasing. Back when I bought mine I just walked ito a store and picked them out and then did the paperwork. I sold both of mine a little over seven years ago, after I move into Washington,because I was too tempted to continue to use them and I didn't feel like becoming the test case forunlawful use of something that was completely lawful to posess.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BluesBear wrote:
I would like to know if it is legal to own a silencer in this State

Yes possession of one is lawful at the present time USING one however is not. There are no Washington state regulations regarding ownership. But using one can possibly get you imprisoned.

What's the penalty for using one?

Felony or misdemeanor?

just_a_car

imported post

For good prices on threaded barrels for your GLOCK, check out Lone Wolf Distributors. I haven't purchased anything from them personally, but they've had a lot of good press and testimonials from the folks over on theGlockTalk forums. I really want to get a threaded barrel for my G27 and a Gemtech suppressor or AWC Titanium Abraxas suppressor (designed for the baby-GLOCKs). If you are looking for online list of suppressors, you can check Gunbroker.com or http://www.autoweapons.com/products/suppressors.html.

There are lots of options out there, but it's totally legal to own a suppressor in WA, but illegal to use a suppressor.

Edit: To answer Hank's question, it's a Gross Misdemeanor, per RCW 9.41.250Section 1.(c).

As per RCW 9A.20.021 Section 2, the punishment for Gross Misdemeanor is as follows: "Every person convicted of a gross misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than one year, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than five thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine."

just_a_car

imported post

BluesBear wrote:
Gee Hank are your fingers broke?Look it up yourself. You're not a newbie ya know.If you had read the entire thread you'd already know the answer.
Hehe... it took me 6 minutes to research and edit my post twice. Guess that's too much effort. *shrug*

Agent 47

imported post

Silverfox44 wrote:
I am a new member and came across your post and have a question for you.

I posses a CCP issued by the State of WA. I currently own a Glock 19, SW model 460, & Taurus 45/410 (THE JUDGE).

I would like to know if it is legal to own a silencer in this State and how do you go about getting one, along with do you have to take your gun to a gunsmith to attach the silencer?

Anyone who is eligible to purchase a handgun can purchase a silencer. There are three ways I know of to get one. Form a living trust, register the silencer to your corporation or get your local sheriff or chief of police to sign off on a form 4 for you. The rout you go through will depend largelyon the dealer you go through and what method they use. I have purchased all my silencers using the LEO sign off but I know people who have used the other routs. Wades gun shop in Bellevue and discount guns in Kirkland are both class two dealers who sell silencers in this area and they can get you started on everything you need to do. The LEO sign off seams to be the fastest way to get one, My applications average three to four weeks start to finish. Your first step is research barrels for your glock, several companies sell these over the Internet. Before you buy the barrel make sure the threads that it is cut with are compatible with a wide variety of silencers (most barrels will have a common thread pattern) once you have your barrel picked out you will need to pick out a silencer that is compatible with it. I like the products made by Advanced armament corp ( AAC ) or Gemtech. Both local dealers I mentioned carry these manufacturers. On a side note it is good to find a dealer with your choice of silencer in stock because if you have to wait for them to order it that can easily double your wait time. When you find a dealer with your silencer for sale you will pay for it and they will fill out all the necessary paperwork for you. In the event of a LEO sign off you will include a ten-card ( fingerprint card from a police department common in background checks ) and a passport sized photo with the application paperwork from the dealer. The package gets sent to the local police chief or sheriff they run a standard background check ( same as a concealed pistol licence ) and return it to the dealer once the LEO has signed it. Then your dealersends the package to the feds and they go through the process of registering the silencer and mail the approval back to your dealer where you pick up your new toy. All in all it is very easy, about the same amount of paperwork as a pistol purchase but with a little longer wait.

ETA: the interesting thing is, to my knowledge, no one has ever been convicted of this gross misdemeanor when peaceably using a legally registered silencer. Also the law affords no exemption for LEO officers or SWAT team members, who are in my range all the time breaking the law by fireing their silenced weapons illegally.

Agent 47

imported post

That is a cool feature of the corporation rout. BTW Kinko's refuses to allow meto copy the papers because they have a stamp on them:banghead:

amlevin

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
That is a cool feature of the corporation rout. BTW Kinko's refuses to allow meto copy the papers because they have a stamp on them:banghead:
Rout
1 a:to disorganize completely :demoralize b:to put to precipitate flight c:to defeat decisively or disastrously <the discomfiture of seeing their party routed at the polls

Route

1 a:a traveled way :highway<the main route north> b:a means of access :channel<the route to social mobility — T. F. O'Dea>
2:a line of travel :course
3 a:an established or selected course of travel or action b:an assigned territory to be systematically covered <a newspaper route>

Sorry, didn't have anything better to do this morning.

John Hardin

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
BTW Kinko's refuses to allow meto copy the papers because they have a stamp on them:banghead:
Why are you asking their permission? Just grab the copier key, make your copies, and pay for them. They have no reason to know what you are copying.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Here's the code referenced in the letter above: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

As the letter says, mere possession isn't enough to be charged. The item must be used and if it's simply attached to the weapon, it's not "put into service", i.e. you're not suppressing sound with it.

Now, do realize that if you carry your sound suppressor, I believe it's required by law to also carry that $200 tax stamp with you to certify that you own it legally.

what if you are forced to use your weapon in self defense?

Agent 47

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Here's the code referenced in the letter above: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

As the letter says, mere possession isn't enough to be charged. The item must be used and if it's simply attached to the weapon, it's not "put into service", i.e. you're not suppressing sound with it.

Now, do realize that if you carry your sound suppressor, I believe it's required by law to also carry that $200 tax stamp with you to certify that you own it legally.

Then you COULD be charged with a gross misdemeanor. Although you would be unique in this as I don't think anyone else who has used a legally owned silencerhas ever been convicted by this law.

just_a_car

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
thorsmitersaw wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

Then you COULD be charged with a gross misdemeanor. Although you would be unique in this as I don't think anyone else who has used a legally owned silencerhas ever been convicted by this law.
I agree, but unfortunately, there's no exemption from the law for self-defense. :?

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:
thorsmitersaw wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

I agree, but unfortunately, there's no exemption from the law for self-defense. :?
Spending all this money and for what, something you can't ever use and it's purpose, at least for a private citizen is to commit a crime, because a silencer has no real purpose except to conceal your shooting someone.

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:
thorsmitersaw wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

Spending all this money and for what, something you can't ever use and it's purpose, at least for a private citizen is to commit a crime, because a silencer has no real purpose except to conceal your shooting someone.
You're very wrong, but I'll let you expend the effort in researching why European countries encourage Sound Supressor use.