• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HAD A FIREARM WHEN NEEDED AND USED IT IN SELF DEFENCE.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Haz. wrote:
We carried firearms back in those days to hunt and for protection against ferel pigs and wild dogs, and to dispatch ferel animals. Rape, murder, home invasions became common place since firearms were banned in Aus. My girls were not armed but fortunately I had a firearm for the valid reasons mentioned above.

If the attachment works. A typical ferel pig found on properties in Aus.
attachment.php

Wow, whata monster! What was it shot with?

Haz. wrote:
HankT wrote:
How much did you get for your 870?

How much did the Winchester cost?
From memory, dont quote me, the shotgun was valued at about $600 I think. The lever was just under or about that price.
So it seems you got a reasonable compensation in actual dollars for the 870. I would have thought that the government would decide to pay a pittance.

Haz.

imported post

HankT wrote:
Haz. wrote:
We carried firearms back in those days to hunt and for protection against ferel pigs and wild dogs, and to dispatch ferel animals. Rape, murder, home invasions became common place since firearms were banned in Aus. My girls were not armed but fortunately I had a firearm for the valid reasons mentioned above.

If the attachment works. A typical ferel pig found on properties in Aus.
attachment.php

Wow, whata monster! What was it shot with?

Haz. wrote:
HankT wrote:
How much did you get for your 870?

How much did the Winchester cost?
From memory, dont quote me, the shotgun was valued at about $600 I think. The lever was just under or about that price.
So it seems you got a reasonable compensation in actual dollars for the 870. I would have thought that the government would decide to pay a pittance.
Mate, I truly dont remember. It wasn't shot by me. Yes, it was a reasonable compensation payout. Cost the government over $500,000,000 overall, but I would have prefered not to have to hand it in? Only Law abiding citizens did this. We were advisedto have any firearm declared illegal valued at a gun shop and the written valuation was to be presented to the police officer who then recorded what firearms were being handed in by whom including the value. The firearm barrelwas then bent in front of the owner, at least where I was. I heard that at places, some firearms were put asideby police and on-sold. Within weeks a cheque arrived in the mail. It was that quick, easy, but unpleasent to see.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

LadyGreenEyes wrote:
Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Yeah, no big deal now. if it were "many years ago" the statute of limitations have long passed. :p
still doesnt make it asinine bud all he needed to do was stand there with it
If they came closer draw it on them.
no need for a round to be fired
Are you kidding? Three guys, a clear threat? Were that my kids, a round over their heads would be a mercy. Even the cops fire warning shots, and in this case, that's clearly what this was.

.....two days here, and two anti-gun moles spotted.....
I am an anti gun mole?

Get your shit straight doll I am in no way anti gun whatsoever so take your assumption and shove it.
I am however anti brandishing and illegally discharging a firearm
thanks for your input toots

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Haz. wrote:
Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Yeah, no big deal now. if it were "many years ago" the statute of limitations have long passed. :p

Hi Beerme.

They were pissed, they asked in a meanacing manner where the ("f#*'n")women were and moved together toward me giggling like mindless crackheads. I previously told them the women were my family and I did not want any trouble. They ignored me. Any normal sober man could see they were interested in nothing but rape and robbery. Maybe you would offer them a beer and discuss the landscapeor maybe you would kindly offer them your youngest daughter as long as they left you alone. They were lucky I let on go over their heads. This was no teddy bears pick-nick.
I stand by my original statement
Raise your weapon
Chamber a round
tell them to stop where they are
Keep that gun on them until they are gone
discharging a round was uncalled for, what proof did you have that rape was going to happen?
what proof did you have that you were about to be robbed?

Haz.

imported post

Beerme wrote:
Haz. wrote:
Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Hi Beerme.

They were pissed, they asked in a meanacing manner where the ("f#*'n")women were and moved together toward me giggling like mindless crackheads. I previously told them the women were my family and I did not want any trouble. They ignored me. Any normal sober man could see they were interested in nothing but rape and robbery. Maybe you would offer them a beer and discuss the landscapeor maybe you would kindly offer them your youngest daughter as long as they left you alone. They were lucky I let on go over their heads. This was no teddy bears pick-nick.
I stand by my original statement
Raise your weapon
Chamber a round
tell them to stop where they are
Keep that gun on them until they are gone
discharging a round was uncalled for, what proof did you have that rape was going to happen?
what proof did you have that you were about to be robbed?

hH Beerme.

Well, they couldhave beenpeacefull God fearing pilgrims seeking whom they could find in the wilderness far from home to convert to Christianity.

Here is how I saw the situation. We were deep inside a friends multi thousands of acres private property. My friend told me we were the only ones on the property at this time bar his employees, all of whom I personally knew. These guyswere strangers, trespassers,probably the ones stealing my friends cattle, driving an unregistered beat up flat bed truck. They were at the time either drunk, or high as kites on drugs. They were dressed in filthy clothes. They had knives on their belts. They probably had firearms in their vehicle, who knows but they never expected me to have one by the reaction they showed when I grabed mine. The first thing they said on arrival at my camp was, "where are the "F#*+'N" women we saw with you?"

Maybe I was confused? Do you think maybe were they collecting for the red cross?

"A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring."

You are entitled to your opinion and may I add, I also love beer? Lol.

Snakemathis

imported post

LadyGreenEyes wrote:
Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Are you kidding? Three guys, a clear threat? Were that my kids, a round over their heads would be a mercy. Even the cops fire warning shots, and in this case, that's clearly what this was.

Even cops fire warning shots? Where do you live? In America, that's a negligent discharge. I would however love you to cite your source of this if you have valid proof of officers firing "warning shots".

eye95

imported post

Snakemathis wrote:
LadyGreenEyes wrote:
Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Even cops fire warning shots? Where do you live? In America, that's a negligent discharge. I would however love you to cite your source of this if you have valid proof of officers firing "warning shots".
Cops on TV and in the movies fire warning shots. And, cowboys used to shoot the guns out of the hands of the bad guys, not even drawing blood.

AbNo

imported post

As a reminder:

1. Some of you need to watch your language.

2. If you're really interested in telling someone how much you (love) them, that's what private messages are for. Take your flame wars to the back room.

I'm disappointed in a lot of you right now. :X

Haz.

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:

Haz,

Buddy. Pass the bacon!

I am betting that is some crazy good tasting pig!

What a MONSTER!

This pig was caught feedingon a steer it had pulled down and killed on a property out west. I have caught pigs nearly this size in my younger days, doggin when it was still allowed. Yes, this was banned by the bamby brigade as well. The boars would come in from a place called Hexham swamp not far from where I used to live. They would come in from the swamp and feed on the Councilgarbage tip during the night then cross over Iron Bark Creek in the early hours of the morning to return deep into the swamp. The abundance of scrap food at the tip allowedthe tuskersto grow quite large.

Haz.

imported post

If you think the porker is big, check out this giant hammerhead shark caught off our coast a week ago. Hislop, the guy in the picture is going to freez it and set it up in his tourist attraction sitein Queensland. A guy fishing just of the nothern NSW coast caught a shark and was fighting it when this monster cruised up and swallowed the smaller shark and was istelf caught. I hope the attachment works and th pic is not too big.

Snakemathis

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Snakemathis wrote:
LadyGreenEyes wrote:
Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Cops on TV and in the movies fire warning shots. And, cowboys used to shoot the guns out of the hands of the bad guys, not even drawing blood.
Your correct. In movies and on TV. Not in reality. The OP was referring to a real case of self defense right? Not a scripted, televised, fake as all get out case, correct? If not, I refer back to negligent discharge. LOL

eye95

imported post

Snakemathis wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Snakemathis wrote:
LadyGreenEyes wrote:
Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Your correct. In movies and on TV. Not in reality. The OP was referring to a real case of self defense right? Not a scripted, televised, fake as all get out case, correct? If not, I refer back to negligent discharge. LOL
I hope your weren't taking my post seriously.

Judge.410

imported post

Sorry....you sir are a bad shot......too high.....I have ten granddaughters and will die protecting them...I have lived a good life.....brandishing? , some states are trying to do away with that law. Countless serious events have been stopped by displaying a firearm and with no shots fired .......WAKE UP AMERICA !

eye95

imported post

25sierraman wrote:
wouldn't those men have also been trespassing since it was private property?
I can't speak about the local law where the incident happened. But, here in Alabama, it isn't trespassing until you have been told that you are unwelcome and don't leave or if you return.

Or if you somehow get around a fence or wall.

DEFENSOR

imported post

ixtow wrote:
So you admit to Brandishing and discharging a weapon?
Butthole.

Exactly, I'm with ixtow :cuss:

Don't tell us that you actually have a problem with this man letting go with a warning shot to let these BG's know that he was serious. I am just glad that he was not concerned at that time with the opinions of persons like yourself. It is true that just presenting the weapon was probably enough. Consider that a stronger show of force never hurts, as long as no one who doesn't deserve it gets hurt. Also stop whining and worrying so much about what other people do.

Defensor out

eye95

imported post

Reasons why warning shots are foolish.

1. They waste ammo.

2. It is hard to shoot at and hit nothing.

3. It does not show that you are serious. Having it and using it to stop threats show that you are serious. Warning shots can signal that you are hesitant to actually shoot a person who threatens you.

4. They waste time.

5. "Leave or I will shoot you." conveys just as much information as the warning shot does.

There is a reason why professionals don't use warning shots.