• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HAD A FIREARM WHEN NEEDED AND USED IT IN SELF DEFENCE.

Wykkidx

imported post

Turkey wrote:
I have been lurking the OC Forums for a while, and have been enjoying them. However, I want to say that the replies to this topic have bothered me. It makes me sick to know that this guy, and others in the self defence forum, have told their testimonies about howhaving agun has saved their life, or the life of their family, and all some of you can do is tell them how they did it wrong. A simple "I think I would have acted differently" would suffice.

Remember, this site is world famous. It has been mentioned on the National News. It has taught me and countless other people a little more about whatour rights are. When people on here argue and call names like a bunch of spoiled kids, well you get the idea.
I agree with this post very nicely put. In regards to the OP, you protected your family, you did it without having to kill anyone, Good job :)

Anyone can sit back, read a story and play the arm chair Quarterback, he did what he felt was necessary, and what he felt the situation called for, But first and foremost he protected his family.

Haz.

imported post

Thanks for your support.

Even believers can feel vindicated because;

"A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring." (Proverbs 25:26).

Rottie

imported post

Beerme wrote:
LadyGreenEyes wrote:
Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Yeah, no big deal now. if it were "many years ago" the statute of limitations have long passed. :p
still doesnt make it asinine bud all he needed to do was stand there with it
If they came closer draw it on them.
no need for a round to be fired
Are you kidding? Three guys, a clear threat? Were that my kids, a round over their heads would be a mercy. Even the cops fire warning shots, and in this case, that's clearly what this was.

.....two days here, and two anti-gun moles spotted.....
I am an anti gun mole?

Get your @#$% straight doll I am in no way anti gun whatsoever so take your assumption and shove it.
I am however anti brandishing and illegally discharging a firearm
thanks for your input toots
Beer me, I think you may be missing something here. The man is from another country. Their laws are different than yours. It is quite possible that what you consider brandishing according to the laws of your state is different than the laws where this gentleman lives. In fact I would even suggest that what is considered Brandishing in your state may be different than in my state. You also indicate that he illegally discharged his gun, but again this is coming from the perspective of the local laws where you live which might be vastly different for the time and place where this incident occured. He did report what happened to the police and the OP did not indicate he was charged. I mean no disrespect, but you may want to consider those few things before bearing down on this man in such a manner as to accuse him of breaking any laws.

simmonsjoe

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I have zero problem with the brandishing. The discharge was, IMO, not necessary.

However, I was not there. In the heat of battle, decisions have to be made quickly. I will not fault someone who is defending his family for a decision that can be second-guessed while we sit safely at home with time on our hands.
It was in the great outdoors. If your in an area safe to hunt I say let a warning shot fly. Obviously if your in your house or in the burbs/city it is a no-no for safety reasons.

Rule #2 - Always be sure of your target AND WHAT IS BEHIND IT. (great outdoors = trees)

anyamaboy

imported post

Wykkidx wrote:
Turkey wrote:
I have been lurking the OC Forums for a while, and have been enjoying them.  However, I want to say that the replies to this topic have bothered me.  It makes me sick to know that this guy, and others in the self defence forum, have told their testimonies about how having a gun has saved their life, or the life of their family, and all some of you can do is tell them how they did it wrong.  A simple "I think I would have acted differently" would suffice. 

Remember, this site is world famous.  It has been mentioned on the National News.  It has taught me and countless other people a little more about what our rights are.  When people on here argue and call names like a bunch of spoiled kids, well you get the idea.
I agree with this post  very nicely put. In regards to the OP, you protected your family, you did it without having to kill anyone, Good job :)

Anyone can sit back, read a story and play the arm chair Quarterback, he did what he felt was necessary, and what he felt the situation called for, But first and foremost he protected his family.

+1

Packer fan

imported post

It is clear that the OP wanted no harm to him or his family.

In giving the warning shot he made it very clear that he was very serious. I too would have done the same to help them on their way.If he was in an urban area he may nothave wanted to fire butout in the bush he may have wanted to leave holes in their truck.:shock:

IMHO We watch to much Oprah here in the Sates and think that we can sit down and have tea and crumpets with men or people who want to do us harm. :cuss:

They may have needed to take a pea and were to ashamed to pea in frontof the women. :banghead:

You did a god job protecting the family.:celebrate:monkey

We have Chicago here to show how well gun laws work.:uhoh:

Haz.

imported post

Packer fan wrote:
It is clear that the OP wanted no harm to him or his family.

In giving the warning shot he made it very clear that he was very serious. I too would have done the same to help them on their way.If he was in an urban area he may nothave wanted to fire butout in the bush he may have wanted to leave holes in their truck.:shock:

IMHO We watch to much Oprah here in the Sates and think that we can sit down and have tea and crumpets with men or people who want to do us harm. :cuss:

They may have needed to take a pea and were to ashamed to pea in frontof the women. :banghead:

You did a god job protecting the family.:celebrate:monkey

We have Chicago here to show how well gun laws work.:uhoh:

Thanks mate.

Like I said several times, we were out in the scrub, the outback, no one around for miles. It put the wind right up-em. They never regrouped and came back for which I was prepared. They never went to police and reported someone had fired a shotgun at them whilst they were leasurely motoring through God's great garden enjoying the scenery on private property uninvited. I reported it on return to civilisation and the police said I did the right thing andwere gladI was able to defend my family. They also said no one reported being shot aton the property we werecamped? Why anyone would not stand and deliverto protect family under circumstances like thisis beyond me? I believe that if I had brandished my firearm as some suggested I do, and instead of fireing off a round,started sweet talking as they moved toward me in a menacing way, these three maniacs would have had me on the ground in no time at all, taken the firearm from me, blew me away, and had their way with my girls. I wasn't about to let that happen whilst I had breath in my lungs and my finger on the trigger.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Turkey wrote:
I have been lurking the OC Forums for a while, and have been enjoying them. However, I want to say that the replies to this topic have bothered me. It makes me sick to know that this guy, and others in the self defence forum, have told their testimonies about howhaving agun has saved their life, or the life of their family, and all some of you can do is tell them how they did it wrong. A simple "I think I would have acted differently" would suffice.

Remember, this site is world famous. It has been mentioned on the National News. It has taught me and countless other people a little more about whatour rights are. When people on here argue and call names like a bunch of spoiled kids, well you get the idea.
After action debriefing, analysis and discussion benefits all concerned.

We share opinions, ideas and means - that is what makes OCDO so effective.

It is important to remember to discuss the events and not let personalities enter into it though.

If someone does not want their story analyzed and dissected, they should not post it publicly. ymmv

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Turkey wrote:

After action debriefing, analysis and discussion benefits all concerned.

We share opinions, ideas and means - that is what makes OCDO so effective.

It is important to remember to discuss the events and not let personalities enter into it though.

If someone does not want their story analyzed and dissected, they should not post it publicly. ymmv

Yata hey

I will agree with you to a point. However, there were some comments made that were, to me, rude, crude, and socially unacceptable

The gentleman, Haz, was in Australia, miles and miles from civilization (think the King Ranch on steroids), faced with a definite threat, and, as important, years ago.

Some of our posters have ignored those basic facts when making their assessments. In his position, with daughters/granddaughters (I have both) to protect, I would not have been nearly as lenient.

Haz, all I've got to say is, "Good job!! Wish I could shake your hand and buy you a pint."

End of story.

Yata hey

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

Hi Haz,

I think you did a great job. Wife and kids are safe at the end of the day, it's a victory. Don't worry too much about all the folks squawking about brandishing. I think you played it right. Let everyone have their opinions. You got your family home safe and even the BG's got to walk away.

I heard a few people post that you were very merciful not to have blown them out of their boots. Personally I would have done exactly the same as you, but I definately have a couple of relatives that would have left 3 unmarked graves out in the woods simply for these fellows trespassing, and the second they mentioned "Where the f--- women at?" whoever muttered those words would be blown out of his boots.(I have an uncle and a few cousing that never could abide a fellow talking badly of a woman).

I think you showed great restraint, got your point across with an excellent use of nonverbal communication (chick-chick, BOOM!)

Stay safe and God bless

Trekker

imported post

Haz. wrote:
Thanks for your support.

Even believers can feel vindicated because;

"A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring." (Proverbs 25:26).
Haz - perhaps because this site is getting noticed, it brings out those that want to disrupt and distort. You did what you had to do. I'd do what you did it in a heartbeat... and be thankful it ended well.

Semper Paratus

imported post

I think he handled it well. I don't know if in the situation that was described if I could have only given a warning shot. I think it took alot of control to not take them out. So in my opinion he handled it better than I would of. No one died or even got hurt. Him and his daughters are safe. But we can play hindsight games all day long and criticize a person that wanted to defend his family in the manner he best saw fit. This was a real situation and not a "What Would You Do" post. we can all speculate on the situation but only the OP has all the facts and had all the feelings at the time.

HAZ, if I could ever make it to Australia I would buy you a beer and say good job.