• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

45acpForMe

imported post

OC-ed to Chipotle at Patrick Henry Mall for lunch and Rite Aid at Dare & 17 in Grafton. No problems.

Saw some work-friends at Chipotle and one made the universal don't-shoot-me-hands-up sign when he saw me. :)

OC-ed to Exxon and Washmore to get the salt off the car.

DocDaddy

imported post

OC'ed last night for a going away dinner with daughter, sister, niece, and about 10 other of the goingaway persons friendsat El Tapatio's by the Walmart at Princess Anne Road and Lynnhaven. No issues.

Thundar

imported post

My assumption is that all establishments follow state law unless they put up gun buster signs.

What we have here is a management strategy to try and weasel out of taking a stand. They do not put up anti gun signs because:

1) It will offend many pro gun people who may just drive down the road and shop elsewhere.

2) It may ofend some of the retailers who do not wish to become embroiled in the controversy

3) I may give some a reason to pause and ask why firearms signs are necessary, feel unsafe and go somewhere else.

4) Not having a written policy gives them plauible deniability in any lawsuit or if they recieve bad publicity.

Frankly I have a lot more respect for those that make a firm policy, even if it is anti-gun. It is private property and I will respect their wishes, even though I usually do not frequent anti-gun establishments.

Thundar

imported post

OC'd at the Norfolk Workforce Center by Ward's Corner. Went to see the Census display at lunchtime. Ran into Hizzzzzonah Fraim in the parking lot. I smiled and he gave me a scowl. No issues at all inside the building.

AIC869

imported post

Thundar wrote:
OC'd at the Norfolk Workforce Center by Ward's Corner. Went to see the Census display at lunchtime. Ran into Hizzzzzonah Fraim in the parking lot. I smiled and he gave me a scowl. No issues at all inside the building.
Should have asked him for an autograph. :lol:

USNA69

imported post

OCed w/VA tuck today for lunch at Silver Diner on Jefferson Ave in NN.

I could not tell if anyone noticed. If they did, there were no comments, no stares, no gasps of horror.

Love those 3-slider burger baskets. Yum,Yum!!

t33j

imported post

USNA69 wrote:
OCed w/VA tuck today for lunch at Silver Diner on Jefferson Ave in NN.

I could not tell if anyone noticed. If they did, there were no comments, no stares, no gasps of horror.

Love those 3-slider burger baskets. Yum,Yum!!
That place has some good eats!

USNA69

imported post

AIC869 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Should have asked him for an autograph. :lol:
... or you could have asked, "How's that lightrail thing workin' out for ya, Paulie?"

imported post

USNA69 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
The "value added tax" or additional cost for fingerprinting won't fly.

The state statute is very clear in the fee that can be charged for a CHP - whether the municipality chooses to fingerprint or not. Anything beyond the state specified/allowed requirements is not legal.

§ 18.2-308 - K, in part:
"The total amount assessed for processing an application for a permit shall not exceed $50"
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Yata hey

Hmmm ... let's review: A fee (not to exceed $50.00) which is charged to a citizen as a prerequisite to exercising a Constitutional right.

Sounds a lot like a variation of the old "Poll Tax", doncha think??

To be fair, the constitutional right is free. You don't have to pay to open carry.

Concealment is not a constitutional garuntee.

That being said, I've paid my money and I carry my weapon.

paramedic70002

imported post

Thundar wrote:
My assumption is that all establishments follow state law unless they put up gun buster signs.
Even if they put up the signs, post guards, and install metal detectors, they are still following state law, specifically trespassing. Not that I agree with it, but it's all in the wording. No one has suggested that the businesses that ban guns are somehow violating state law.

USNA69

imported post

The Morrisville Icon wrote:
USNA69 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
The "value added tax" or additional cost for fingerprinting won't fly.

The state statute is very clear in the fee that can be charged for a CHP - whether the municipality chooses to fingerprint or not. Anything beyond the state specified/allowed requirements is not legal.

§ 18.2-308 - K, in part:
"The total amount assessed for processing an application for a permit shall not exceed $50"
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Yata hey

Hmmm ... let's review: A fee (not to exceed $50.00) which is charged to a citizen as a prerequisite to exercising a Constitutional right.

Sounds a lot like a variation of the old "Poll Tax", doncha think??

To be fair, the constitutional right is free. You don't have to pay to open carry.

Concealment is not a constitutional garuntee.

That being said, I've paid my money and I carry my weapon.
Neither is concealment Constitutionally prohibited. What I read is "keep and bear", not "keep and openly bear". I would be interested in reading your legal argument making the Constitutional distinction between open and concealed.

45acpForMe

imported post

springfieldxd wrote:
Hey my name is Collin. Im new to ocdo. I have been to a couple of dinners with my roommate crf250rider1000.
Welcome. I don't know if you should be hanging around with CRF250rider1000 or not. It seems that he and his crowdalways need surgery! ;)Ouch. So were you at the dinner last night? If so I apologize because I couldn't hear your name when you introduced yourself.

1245A Defender

imported post

what the hell? 121 PAGES? i usually read calif. mich. ohio, true tales, and general dis. besides washington.
never seen a thread like this! no i didnt read it,,,
washington forum is slowly catching up to virginia, but you guys are the leaders,,keep up the good works!
we got it pretty good here, but im thinking you paved the way for us, so i just gotta say
thank you, thankyou very much!!:)

CRF250rider1000

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
what the hell? 121 PAGES? i usually read calif. mich. ohio, true tales, and general dis. besides washington.
washington forum is slowly catching up to virginia, but you guys are the leaders,,keep up the good works!
we got it pretty good here, but im thinking you paved the way for us, so i just gotta say
Look up "Open carry in NOVA." It's at 131 pages and counting:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
Look up "Open carry in NOVA." It's at 131 pages and counting:lol:
Ya just can't stop Virginians from talking about their rights, in particular the RKBA.

Don't care whether you lead or follow - just do it!

Yata hey

springfieldxd

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
springfieldxd wrote:
Hey my name is Collin. Im new to ocdo. I have been to a couple of dinners with my roommate crf250rider1000.
Welcome. I don't know if you should be hanging around with CRF250rider1000 or not. It seems that he and his crowdalways need surgery! ;)Ouch. So were you at the dinner last night? If so I apologize because I couldn't hear your name when you introduced yourself.
Yeh I went to dinner. I was sitting at the very end of the table. Oh its no problem guess i could speak louder.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome aboard, Collin. People like you will help the Tidewater Juggernaut overtake those NOVA people in the near future.

Just a matter of time.....

apollosmom

imported post

Say Dutch, I'd say we upped the ante for everyone last night, having our Congressman present, and pictured with the Orange GSL sticker! I think that merits a challenge to NOVA, Richmonders, and the other great regions of our Commonwealth to invite elected officials. Plus it just makes it that much more challenging for the 4th Estate to spin their yarns about us!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

apollosmom wrote:
Say Dutch, I'd say we upped the ante for everyone last night, having our Congressman present, and pictured with the Orange GSL sticker! I think that merits a challenge to NOVA, Richmonders, and the other great regions of our Commonwealth to invite elected officials. Plus it just makes it that much more challenging for the 4th Estate to spin their yarns about us!
Candidates and sitting officeholders along with the media (TV, radio and newspaper) are stock in trade for larger groups/meet-ups. Noteworthy persons attract more people and generates media interest. A + B = C :)

Again - you all did a great job!

Looking for a celebratory picnic this spring/summer with lots of headliners following the GA session and the anticipated success with legislation.

Yata hey