• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

imported post

USNA69 wrote:
Neither is concealment Constitutionally prohibited. What I read is "keep and bear", not "keep and openly bear". I would be interested in reading your legal argument making the Constitutional distinction between open and concealed.

I'm not trying to make a legal argument, I'm not a lawyer nor do I have the time. I was simply stating that it is free to bear arms. You can walk around all day with your weapon on your hip and not pay a dime.

It's kind of like having the FCC. We have freedom of speech and expression, which you can choose to use if you desire, but there are some ways that you are not allowed the full freedom.

Personally, I would rather pay a fee once every 5-7 years (my permit is FL) than a fine like I would have to pay to the FCC every time I cursed on-air.

My final point are the words "Well regulated militia." Take militia for what you will, personally I feel that part of the text is archane, but paying a small fee is easily understandable for administrative fees keeping us "well regulated."

Like I said, I have paid my money, I have my CWP and I carry. Now, thanks to this site and thread in particular, I OC as well. I make full use of my 2A rights.

Hoorah.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The Morrisville Icon wrote:
snip....

My final point are the words "Well regulated militia." Take militia for what you will, personally I feel that part of the text is archane, but paying a small fee is easily understandable for administrative fees keeping us "well regulated."

Like I said, I have paid my money, I have my CWP and I carry. Now, thanks to this site and thread in particular, I OC as well. I make full use of my 2A rights.

Hoorah.
To be fair, the constitutional right is free. You don't have to pay to open carry. Concealment is not a constitutional garuntee. That being said, I've paid my money and I carry my weapon.
Not going to flame you for your selection of "arcane" as a position on the militia nor on payment of a fee to keep us "well regulated" - hope that no one else enters into that debate here, as that topic deserves a separate thread.

Glad that you have chosen to carry - CC and OC where you can do so.

Except for camping and fishing, hows that OC thing working for you in Florida? :p :)

Yata hey

45acpForMe

imported post

OC-ed to Andrea's Pizza (rte 17 in Yorktown) last night for a Chicken Parmesan sub. I originally tried to go to Vinny's but the parking lot was full and there was a line out the door. Andrea's was pretty darn good and they were crowded too. We got the last parking spot.

I was OC-ing the Big Hawg again and got no comments or stares.

PointofView

imported post

Don't tell that to the people against gay marriage. You would think that the government was responsible for communion and baptisms. My point is that marriage by a Justice of the Peace is a tax plan and a set of promises between two people.

The non-liberal right seem to think that religious sacraments are being performed by the state. This confusion is insane and nothing is religious about marriage unless the individual chooses to make it that way. This does not stop the Right from trying to get into other people's relationships.

Oh I am happily married with two kids, and I just bought a house in York County! So I will argue with you all in person soon. =).

fully_armed_biker wrote:
t33j wrote:
Be careful... Do not assume everyone holds the same religious beliefs, or would be willing to participate. The practice of religion is an individual decision and should certainly be respected. However the primary reason we're all a part of this forum is our belief in gun rights.
That's the beautiful thing about freedom loving people...everyone is free to participate or not participate...or practice their own religion as they see fit. No need to worry about "offending" someone because you are practicing your religion in front of them...you are not infringing on anybody's rights.

PointofView

imported post

My Realtor took me and my wife to eat at Vinny's on my shortened house hunting trip. That place was worth getting stuck in Atlanta due to freak snow. That reminds me of my mostly Italian hometown. Good stuff.
45acpForMe wrote:
OC-ed to Andrea's Pizza (rte 17 in Yorktown) last night for a Chicken Parmesan sub. I originally tried to go to Vinny's but the parking lot was full and there was a line out the door. Andrea's was pretty darn good and they were crowded too. We got the last parking spot.

I was OC-ing the Big Hawg again and got no comments or stares.

45acpForMe

imported post

PointofView wrote:
Don't tell that to the people against gay marriage. You would think that the government was responsible for communion and baptisms. My point is that marriage by a Justice of the Peace is a tax plan and a set of promises between two people.

The non-liberal right seem to think that religious sacraments are being performed by the state. This confusion is insane and nothing is religious about marriage unless the individual chooses to make it that way. This does not stop the Right from trying to get into other people's relationships.

Oh I am happily married with two kids, and I just bought a house in York County! So I will argue with you all in person soon. =).

PoinofView check out: http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissuesArticles.asp?id=63

It has some good quotes that discuss the importance of morality and religion in the republic. Our republic was founded with a Christian world view. That worldview allows us the most freedom of any country. The most referenced book used in the creation of our constitution was the bible. Marriage has been held as a religious institution. We are a republic and not a democracy so that our govt has rules (the constitution) to live by and not becoming mob-rule or an aristocracy.

[align=center]Daniel Webster[/align]

[align=center]Early American Jurist and Senator[/align]
If we and our posterity reject religious instruction and authority, violate the rules of eternal justice, trifle with the injunctions of morality, and recklessly destroy the political constitution which holds us together, no man can tell how sudden a catastrophe may overwhelm us that shall bury all our glory in profound obscurity.

(Source: Daniel Webster, ]The Writings and Speeches of Daniel Webster(Boston: Little, Brown, & Company, 1903), Vol. XIII, p. 492. From "The Dignity and Importance of History," February 23, 1852.)

My original comment was giving thanks to God by saying Grace and that many people (not all) in this forum believe in God. Without that belief, our arguments of "rights" evaporate.

PointofView

imported post

Well please review the Federal Bureau of Prisons and notice that the atheists have a .06% prison rate while they hold an estimated 8-16% of the population.

Atheists statistically are better educated and well behaved in comparison to its theistic counterparts.

Many of the founding fathers were agnostic, or secular or in serious doubt. I think this quote from John Adams sums it up.

In his, "A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America" [1787-1788], John Adams wrote:
[font="Book Antiqua, Palantino"] "The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.

We all know religion is the complete absence of reason. People don't live in big fish for four days, ghosts don't impregnate people, and if gods wanted to give us rights they would hypothetically have the power to implement their own wishes.

Christians believed and taught that the world was flat, the sun revolved around the Earth. These things were obviously found to be incorrect so referencing religion as the foundation for a country who was in essence being founding on religious freedom seems ironic.

The second amendment is derived from a time when threat of European tyranny was strong and fighting between pilgrims and Native Americans are common.

2A could have been established as militias were the major form of defense from foreign invaders.

My point as a 2A defender is that the history of who provided these rights and under what pretense is not as important as how we utilize and protect these rights. The argument as a deterrent and equalizer in self defense of ones life is what draws me to these forums. Babble about an unprovable opinion about religious values of a passive religion instilling the right to carry a fire arm is hardly turning the other cheek.

[/font][font="Book Antiqua, Palantino"]"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not."

-1785 James Madison

I see the "Conservatives" pushing their ideals on the general population against their will. Be careful what you wish for, because these could be the people taking your guns in the future when it suits them.
[/font][font="Book Antiqua, Palantino"]

[/font]​

2a4all

imported post

PointofView wrote:
Well please review the Federal Bureau of Prisons and notice that the atheists have a .06% prison rate while they hold an estimated 8-16% of the population.

Atheists statistically are better educated and well behaved in comparison to its theistic counterparts.

Many of the founding fathers were agnostic, or secular or in serious doubt. I think this quote from John Adams sums it up.

In his, "A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America" [1787-1788], John Adams wrote:
[Deleted for Brevity]

-1785 James Madison

I see the "Conservatives" pushing their ideals on the general population against their will. Be careful what you wish for, because these could be the people taking your guns in the future when it suits them.

+1, PoV!

Belief in a divinity only providesan argument for such believers fora source (or entitlement) to human rights, but it is not the only argument. If it were, it would seem that our form of government would require it, rather than proscribe it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Think maybe this thread is getting way OT and beyond the limitations of OCDO.

Yata hey

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Except for camping and fishing, hows that OC thing working for you in Florida? :p :)

Yata hey
Wouldn't know. Haven't been in a while. Don't even knowthe rules. Have the FL CWP because it's good in most of the country and it's my "state of residence" even though I live in Chesapeake.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Wouldn't know. Haven't been in a while. Don't even knowthe rules. Have the FL CWP because it's good in most of the country and it's my "state of residence" even though I live in Chesapeake.

Ah so - fingers faster than eyes - just my excuse for not observing your profile. :?

Yata hey

springfieldxd

imported post

I was visiting the grandparents in Hampton this weekend and was heading back to Norfolk and managed to get pulled over by a cop. He was hiding in an unmarked car and I wasn't paying attention. But anyway I was carrying the xd and it was sitting in the front passenger seat, he walked to the window and I was up front with him letting him know I was open carrying a firearm. He said is it okay if I take the gun till we are done here, and I agreed, but he never ended up getting the gun and let me off with a nice speeding ticket :cry:. But thankfully he new I was within my rights to have the gun and didn't hassle me at all about it.

batgeek

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
t33j wrote:
My suggestion was not that people refrain from practicing as they choose at all. It was simply that the primary group focus should remain centered around where it is at the moment.
That being our 2nd amendment rights... derived from [fill in the blank].

(Hint: the correct answer is "God")
was fun while it lasted. y'all have a good one.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

OC'd to the Gun Show at the NorfolK Scope. Went to the show Saturday to stock up on some ammo From Georgia Arms and meet up with friendswere volunteering at the VCDL table to go to the range at Bob's and then grab a bite to eat. While we were walking around, I came across a RIA M1911 in need of a little tender loving care. So, I went back Sunday and bought it. It looks like the grip were replaced; but, never fitted to the frame. The grip was getting caught up on the safety/slide lock plunger tube and leaving a substantial gap between the grip and the frame. Took it out to my woodshop and removed just enoughwood for it to fit like a glove. Took it apart and gave it a really good cleaning.

BTW - OC'd at Granby Street Pizza in Norfolk, no problems...good pizza too!!!

wylde007

imported post

Carried into the Braxton-Perkins American Legion Post 25 in Newport News on Sunday. They're holding their annual variety show in March and I've volunteered to engineer the sound, as their regular guy who's been doing it for the past 40+ years is going to be indisposed.

Nobody said a word about it. Nobody seemed to notice the "GSL" or "VCDL" magnets on the tailgate.

However, to my dismay, I learned that the event will be held at Warwick H.S. in a GFCSZ. Too bad the bill allowing carry in schools when not a school function (this would definitely qualify) hasn't passed and won't apply. Dang.

We went to look at the equipment and I asked the guy if we were going to the school, I didn't want to break the law. He said "Break what law? You're allowed on school grounds." I had to remind him I was carrying and that I'd need to disarm if we were going into the building.

The equipment is stored off-site, so I'll only have to disarm while actually working on the show.

Adam12

imported post

OCed to Bass Pro and Lowes on Power Plant in Hampton on Sunday. My first out and about OCed by myself. The dinner last week got me over the first timer issues and paved the way for Sunday.No issues, a couple stares but over all . . . easy.

P.S. Glad this thread is back on track.

Tralpat

imported post

This weekend was packed with OC opportunities. Nothing exciting to report.

Saturday the first stop was Superior Pawn and Gun in VA Beach. I was invited by a friend to spend some time on the range. Since I had not shot my S&W 1911 I figured it would be a great time. I was not disappointed. That gun shoots amazingly well. After we left the range it was off the Scope for the gun show.

Sunday the first stop was Wilcox Bait and Tackle in Newport News. Spent about 30 min or so shooting my new bow. As I was getting ready to leave a gentleman approached me about possibly joining the Lafayette Gun Club. We talked for a few minutes then I was on my way. After that it was off to Bass Pro, Lowes, Petland, and Blockbuster.

As originally stated, not very exciting.

Hendu024

imported post

Haven't posted in a while, but I have 2 interesting stories outside of the everyday OC places that I usually list.

#1. Had a young woman in my store today, she's been in a few times before. On her way out she noticed my 'Criminals Beware, Patrons and/or Employees May Be Armed' sign. She called me over and asked what that meant. I told her that it meant we supoprt 2A and anyone can lawfully carry in my store.

We ended up having a conversation about it for about 10 minutes, turns out she is 20 y/o and waiting until her birthday in June to get her CCW. So I gave her a few of Ed's cards and told her the base information about OC. Her husband is in Iraq, and she has a toddler, and she has been worried about her safety not knowing that she could OC. Good experience.

#2. I was in Norfolk last week, I think Wednesday night. I stopped at a 7-11 somewhere on Colley Ave. (I'm not that familiar with that part of Norfolk) I went in and got a Red Bull and some water, drove not even 1/4 mile down the road to pick up my girl, turned around and drove back by. I was gone no more than 2-3 minutes. I turned back onto Colley towards the 7-11, and there were 4 cruisers heading towards me lights and sirens blaring.

I pulled over next to the 7-11 and they flew into the parking lot and about 5-6 cops jumped out, guns drawn and stormed into the 7-11. I didn't stick around to see what happened, but holy sh*t, I was in there 120 seconds before. I happened to be concealing that night because I was wearing a heavy sweatshirt. There were a handful of thugs in there, and I was condition orange the whole time anyways. I didn't have a good feeling about being in there that night, and it looks like I was right.

Scary close.