• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

ODA 226

imported post

VAman49 wrote:
OC'd at Joe's Crab Shack on Power Plant. Nothing said but my wife noticed some :what:when I got up to go to the restroom. She said the four people in the booth sat up and took notice.
I OC there all the time and have never had any negative comments or reactions. I gotta get that lobster fix! ;)

fully_armed_biker

imported post

OC'd Saturday night to El Rodeo Mexican restaurant on VA Beach Blvd at Military Circle in Norfolk. Had several looks...the only comments I received were from a waiter and waitress (husband and wife)...the waiter asked me in a slight Spanish accent..."Excuse me sir, is thata .45?" I said it was as a waitress was walking by...she said, "please excuse my husband...he wants to get a .45" She stopped and my wife and I talked to them for a few minutes. He went on to tell me he just completed his class for his CHP and turned in his application last week. He went on to tell me that in the past several months there had been quitea few incidents close by...women beaten, robbed,and raped in the area...he said he and his wife both work at the restaurant and they tend to leave late and since they are really not part of either Janaf or Military Circle, no security comes close enough to help if there was trouble. We talked about the merits of being able to protect himself and his family. I explained OC to him, and he had never heard of it. I told him because his restaurant served alcohol I couldn't CC and that I was staying within the law be OCing...(which did ring a bell for him from the CC class)...I also told him OCing was my preferred method of carry because it is a deterrent whereas CCing is strictly defensive in nature...I gave him a card and he thanked me...he then apologized for interruptingour dinner and told us to enjoy our meal. I told him he had nothing to apologize for, I was always happy to discuss the subject...all in all...a good encounter.

t33j

imported post

I needed a late night snack so I just ran over to the McDonald's at Hampton Blvd. and 42nd to get a fudge sundae. The night manager (I assume) asked me what kind of gun I had. He thought a permit was required to OC so I informed him about OC, and the minimum age to posses. (Thanks for the cards ed!) He mentioned he had just bought a 12 gauge and wanted to know if he could OC that. :celebrate:celebrate

I got my sundae for free!

Pagan

imported post

OC'd this morning to Firestone, Foodlion, Roses, and the Harley shop in Grafton. Then onto the Gloucester public library (point branch), and also Winter Sound for some drum sticks! No issues, everybody was polite.

My birthday party tonight in Guinea, bonfire outside, Rockband inside, wanna come shoot me a PM for directions (ifI have met you, or you are an established member of this forum).

45acpForMe

imported post

Happy Bday Pagan! I wish you many more. :)

OC-ed a little around town to the usual places. My OC to Chipotle at Patrick Henry Mall is always fun since I sit inside Chipotle by the entrance to the OC-forbidden mall and watch the passers-by.

45acpForMe

imported post

OC-ed to The Olive Garden on Jefferson in NN. Lots of folks out for Sunday lunch so we had to wait about 25 minutes for a table. Most people didn't seem to notice and we got good service once we were seated.

With the nice weather I was OC-ing without a jacket so the Big Hawg was more noticeable today without a stuffy jacket VA-tucked behind it. :)

2a4all

imported post

OC'd to Carrabba's in NN for dinner. Wore a Va-tucked windbreaker to ward off the chill. Sat on the bench inside (the one with the little coffee table) while we waited for our table. No one seemed to notice my M&Pc40. Food was good, service OK, but when did the waitstaff begin sitting at your table with you while they took your order?

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC at all the usual places, Sunday I wore my Kimber RCP to Red Lobster on Jefferson Ave. Not a peep from anyone.

OC is very very commonplaced around here now.

SuperDad

Charlottesville / Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
imported post

Kind of a funny/scary story from Sunday. I had my youngest daughther out practicingdriving and after about two hours we were thirsty so I told her to pull into a convenience store on Cedar Road in Chesapeake. We go in to getdrinks and there are three "punks" (dreadlocks hair, pants around their knees) at the counter trying to buy some beer. They had no ID's so the clerk wouldn't sell it to them so they left in a hissy fit. I paid for our drinks and we head back to my car. Thethree "punks" are at the corner of the store cussing up a storm. I walk my daughter to the drivers side of the car as it was closer to the "punks" who were only about 20 feet away staring at us. Needless to say I never took my eyes off of them and as soon as my daughter got in the car they started yelling a cussing at me for some reason. As I was turning to get into the car (strong-side now facing them), one of the "punks" spotted my Sig andyells "oh f&#*" and they promptly turn and run away. I started giggling and got in the car.My daughter says what was that all about? I tap my side and tell her that those boys had a change of heart. She says those things come in handy sometimes and starts laughing and says they probably filled up their underwear that was hanging out. Two more yearsand I'll have her carrying to_Other than that it was an uneventful weekend of OC'ing around town.

45acpForMe

imported post

SuperDad wrote:
Kind of a funny/scary story from Sunday.  I had my youngest daughther out practicing driving and after about two hours we were thirsty so I told her to pull into a convenience store on Cedar Road in Chesapeake. We go in to get drinks and there are three "punks" (dreadlocks hair, pants around their knees) at the counter trying to buy some beer.  They had no ID's so the clerk wouldn't sell it to them so they left in a hissy fit.  I paid for our drinks and we head back to my car.  The three "punks" are at the corner of the store cussing up a storm.  I walk my daughter to the drivers side of the car as it was closer to the "punks" who were only about 20 feet away staring at us.  Needless to say I never took my eyes off of them and as soon as my daughter got in the car they started yelling a cussing at me for some reason. As I was turning to get into the car (strong-side now facing them), one of the "punks" spotted my Sig and yells "oh f&#*" and they promptly turn and run away.  I started giggling and got in the car. My daughter says what was that all about?  I tap my side and tell her that those boys had a change of heart. She says those things come in handy sometimes and starts laughing and says they probably filled up their underwear that was hanging out.  Two more years and I'll have her carrying to.  Other than that it was an uneventful weekend of OC'ing around town.

Another proof of OC as a deterrent. I wouldn't mind having one of those non-events happen while my oldest daughter is with me. She thinks OC is over the top and prefers me to CC.

If I was a cop I would think sagging pants would be suspicion enough to search them for concealed weapons or stolen goods. I wish they could be fined for public indecency for showing their underwear in public. At least a couple strip searches may dissuade them from their fashion statement.:celebrate

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
SuperDad wrote:
Kind of a funny/scary story from Sunday. I had my youngest daughther out practicingdriving and after about two hours we were thirsty so I told her to pull into a convenience store on Cedar Road in Chesapeake. We go in to getdrinks and there are three "punks" (dreadlocks hair, pants around their knees) at the counter trying to buy some beer. They had no ID's so the clerk wouldn't sell it to them so they left in a hissy fit. I paid for our drinks and we head back to my car. Thethree "punks" are at the corner of the store cussing up a storm. I walk my daughter to the drivers side of the car as it was closer to the "punks" who were only about 20 feet away staring at us. Needless to say I never took my eyes off of them and as soon as my daughter got in the car they started yelling a cussing at me for some reason. As I was turning to get into the car (strong-side now facing them), one of the "punks" spotted my Sig andyells "oh f&#*" and they promptly turn and run away. I started giggling and got in the car.My daughter says what was that all about? I tap my side and tell her that those boys had a change of heart. She says those things come in handy sometimes and starts laughing and says they probably filled up their underwear that was hanging out. Two more yearsand I'll have her carrying to_Other than that it was an uneventful weekend of OC'ing around town.

Another proof of OC as a deterrent. I wouldn't mind having one of those non-events happen while my oldest daughter is with me. She thinks OC is over the top and prefers me to CC.

If I was a cop I would think sagging pants would be suspicion enough to search them for concealed weapons or stolen goods. I wish they could be fined for public indecency for showing their underwear in public. At least a couple strip searches may dissuade them from their fashion statement.:celebrate

I may be wrong but IIRC there a couple localities that passed an ordinance about visable underwear. There was a bill in the 2005 General Assembly but aparently was not passed. http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52270 http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/fashion/30baggy.html

It looks stupid and anyone comming to me for a job dressed like that can turn around and leave!:banghead:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
SuperDad wrote:

I may be wrong but IIRC there a couple localities that passed an ordinance about visable underwear. There was a bill in the 2005 General Assembly but aparently was not passed. http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52270 http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/fashion/30baggy.html

It looks stupid and anyone comming to me for a job dressed like that can turn around and leave!:banghead:

A judge in Fla. ruled Ordinance is unconstitutional; http://www.blackpressusa.com/news/Article.asp?SID=3&Title=National+News&NewsID=16676 :banghead:

45acpForMe

imported post

I forgot since the site was down yesterday. I OC-ed at starbucks on the corner of 17 & Oriana last night. I was returning from the range and had a scratchy throat so decided to give them some support for continuing to allow OC and not caving to the anti's.

I was amazed how many people conduct business at 8pm. People were going over schedules for the next day, some real estate/zoning discussions. No one seemed annoyed by my side-arm and no wild west shootout ensued. ;)

WhirlyGirl

imported post

Have another couple of good days OC'ing and some CC'ing (when the temps dropped at night) around here.

Yesterday I went to Bethel Tailor off of Big Bethel Road, as well as the "Goin' Postal" right there in that plaze - had to get my Utah non-resident application notarized, the Chevy dealership on Mercury Blvd, the Driver Station post office and the dry cleaners off of Bridge Road (beside Farm Fresh).

Today, I went to 2 gun shops: A&P on Mercury Blvd and Superior Pawn & Gun, also on Mercury Blvd. I ended up buying a 2nd gun for carrying: a Ruger LCP. Also got a range membership in case anyone is up for some shooting some time? (Ladies??) I then went to the Chevy dealership again to drop off my car, and to the Walmart on Jefferson to return a light bulb and right behind me I heard, "Is that real?" "Ma'am, is that a real gun on you?" To which I turned around and discussed politely that an law-abiding citizen over 18 can open-carry. She has a felony conviction in her history so we discussed that for a moment, but she was just amazed that you could carry a gun out in the open like that. I handed her one of my cards designed by Ed and she read through it and thought that was cool.

I also attempted to go into Buffalo Wild Wings (I had a craving for wings), but stopped at the front door when I saw a big sign saying that they ban all firearms there. So, I locked my gun up and went in for some wings and resumed my day.

Grabbing my gun at the beginning of the day is beginning to feel more natural, as is carrying one with me each time I venture outside of the home.

Thanks for all the info here guys. I really appreciate what I read.

wylde007

imported post

WhirlyGirl wrote:
I also attempted to go into Buffalo Wild Wings (I had a craving for wings), but stopped at the front door when I saw a big sign saying that they ban all firearms there. So, I locked my gun up and went in for some wings and resumed my day.
BWW is a well-known anti-freedom establishment.

You would do well to consider taking your cravings to a more friendly locale.

t33j

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
WhirlyGirl wrote:
I also attempted to go into Buffalo Wild Wings (I had a craving for wings), but stopped at the front door when I saw a big sign saying that they ban all firearms there.  So, I locked my gun up and went in for some wings and resumed my day.
BWW is a well-known anti-freedom establishment.

You would do well to consider taking your cravings to a more friendly locale.
plus 1
vote with your wallet... or purse in this case