• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

DJEEPER

Did some motorcycle OC'ing today. Went to the DMV in Newport News, Panera, Wawa's, and then this evening to Home Depot. No issues.

I went to the DMV in newport news as well. Got there around 3 on my Motorcycle. Was OC'ing as well :)

would have been cool to run into another OC'ing MC'er

Lolcanoe

Well, here I am in Utah and I don't have a sidearm or even a pocketknife with me. Thanks Air Force! Guess I should post in the Utah forums looking for some local ranges to rent at for practice

DJEEPER

OC'ing in yorktown on the bike today.

Fiancee calls me and says she saw a Tacoma with stickers on the back rolling through yorktown. 2A4ALL... you have been spotted! :D

45acpForMe

Well, here I am in Utah and I don't have a sidearm or even a pocketknife with me. Thanks Air Force! Guess I should post in the Utah forums looking for some local ranges to rent at for practice

Are you in Utah permanently now or just "visiting" :) I took a trip last year to Colorado and brought my gun checking it in at the airline. I guess if you were being housed on base though you probably couldn't bring it with you much. I thought Utah had some pretty good gun laws though.

I have been OC-in here and there Food Lion, Farm Fresh, Exxon, (County Grill) but haven't felt like getting out much (in a bit of a funk due to lack of range time). Tonight I was at Food Lion and a mom with two carts and three kids was parked where I needed to be and while I was reaching for an item one of the little boys 3-4 years old says, "You have a gun." I mumbled "uhhuh" just to acknowledge him but didn't want to put the mom off since I was right by her kid. As I was walking away about 4 isles away I heard him say, "Why you have a gun?" but was too far to say anything without shouting or raising my voice. Afterward I thought of a good answer, "Because I am a Daddy too." :) I didn't see whether the mom was embarassed or not but you gotta love kids asking strangers questions in full voice.

Hopefully my funk can end tomorrow at LGC if I get enough done around the yard.

DJEEPER

Hopefully my funk can end tomorrow at LGC if I get enough done around the yard.

I think we all get those days. Where someone approaches you, and its just too much energy at the time to explain it...haha. So you come up with the quickest response and move on to go back home to slump on the couch.

Tomorrow will be an awesome day to OC! I will be on my Shadow again.

45acpForMe

Well got my funk out in .308 today. :dude:

OC-ed to Chipotle for lunch wearing my new (Ed's) Virginia OpenCarry t-shirt. I was wondering how many people in line behind me were reading it. I sat facing the mall so everyone else in the place could read it too. :) My only concern is it answers some common questions (Yes, its real, loaded, and legal) so I wonder if the T-shirt will decrease people coming up and asking questions or not. :-( Time will tell.

May take my daughter shooting tonight if she is up for it. She needs the practice. :)

wolf-father

OCed at the Virgina Zoo nice day. Started out at the window I gave the lady at the window she asked for my id gave it to her then she I ment your permit. And I said for what my fire arm and she said yes. I said why if you can see it I do not need one. Then she oh yea it is a long day. Then the best of all a dad commented. "Wow for someone thinks they need a gun in a zoo. Seriously dude realy brought a gun here. Seriously you realy thought you should bring a gun to the zoo where all these kids are." Lol I did not get a chance to respond he all but ran.

Last edited:

tcmech

OCed at the Virgina Zoo nice day. Started out at the window I gave the lady at the window she asked for my id gave it to her then she I ment your permit. And I said for what my fire arm and she said yes. I said why if you can see it I do not need one. Then she oh yea it is a long day. Then the best of all a dad commented. "Wow for someone thinks thay need a gun in a zoo. Seriously dude realy brought a gun here. Seriously re realy thought you should bring a gun to the zoo where all these kids are." Lol I did not get a chance to respond he all but ran.

I would think a father would prefer to be able to defend his children if the need ever arose, rather than wait for the janitorial (police) department to show up and tape the crime scene off.

Lolcanoe

Buying a handgun in Utah

Hey guys, would anyone happen to have a link to the law regarding handgun purchase in Utah? Trying to do all this on my phone is a pain but it's the only Internet access I have. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

johnfenter

Asking for ID?!

OCed at the Virgina Zoo nice day. Started out at the window I gave the lady at the window she asked for my id gave it to her then she I ment your permit. And I said for what my fire arm and she said yes. I said why if you can see it I do not need one. Then she oh yea it is a long day. Then the best of all a dad commented. "Wow for someone thinks they need a gun in a zoo. Seriously dude realy brought a gun here. Seriously you realy thought you should bring a gun to the zoo where all these kids are." Lol I did not get a chance to respond he all but ran.

Since when do you need to show ID to a ticket taker to get into the zoo or get approval for either CC or OC? I guess I need to visit the zoo now; my Libertarian-sense is tingling....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Lolcanoe

Well that's no good. There's a real nice springfield commander. Too bad there isn't a "military orders" clause like VA. A plethora of .45 acp ammo too

Lincoln7

OC'd for a nice dinner at Sushi AKA and then late at night at Walmart, both downtown Suffolk. No issues. The electronics dept worker asked what type of handgun I was carrying. I told him "1911, .45" He just nodded ok like he never heard of one. I left it open for more conversation but he didn't seem further interested. Also, I'm a bit of an introvert...

45acpForMe

Well that's no good. There's a real nice springfield commander. Too bad there isn't a "military orders" clause like VA. A plethora of .45 acp ammo too

If you are staying in Utah you should be able to establish residency after some period. If you are returning to VA eventually you can pay for the gun and have it shipped to a VA FFL to hold until you return. Just like buying over the internet. You just won't be able to take possession in Utah.

45acpForMe

Since when do you need to show ID to a ticket taker to get into the zoo or get approval for either CC or OC? I guess I need to visit the zoo now; my Libertarian-sense is tingling....

+1

I wonder what state that person was from where a non-LEO can ask to see some license to own/carry a gun? State-of-Tyrrany?

t33j

County Grill (twice), IHOP (Yorktown), Yorktown Battlefields, Sears (Newport News), Craigslist firewood pickup (Poquoson)