• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Doc_Smith

MTBI, (mild,moderate,massive-trauma-brain-injury)? My daughter has now fully recovered (at least that is what she says) from her concussion. It only took 6-7 months and her symptoms included a list of 12-15 different things from headache, trouble concentrating, moodyness, nausea, dizzieness, etc. I hope you heal fully.

The Army in all it's wisdom considers it mild. It happened mostly during my first deployment while I was in Iraq. Few to many blows to be head. Probably had several concussions but me being the medic in a combat unit I couldn't show any weakness so I never got myself checked out. I had all those symptoms but hey mostly cleared up save the headaches and memory loss. And then I went to Afghanistan and that didn't help my head at all. Hopefully I can get some help with it when I report into Fort Lee.

The Airframer

OC'd today @Starbucks and Walmart on the corner of Lynnhaven and P. Anne, couple of googely eyes from soccer moms:shocker: at starbucks but no conflict.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
My girls are the same way. They don't like to draw attention to themselves. Anyone that has met Bridget can attest that her Glock 21 was "rather large" when she Open Carried. She's only 5' tall. She wants an LCR or Taurus 709 for her upcoming 21st birthday. She's also shopping for concealed-type holsters (IWB) rather than a purse for the reasons stated previously.
Mike, Bridget is in college! she doesn't wanna scare others (boys) away :D. As I recall Shannon wanted to wear your duty belt to school. :cool:

Doc_Smith

Mike, Bridget is in college! she doesn't wanna scare others (boys) away :D. As I recall Shannon wanted to wear your duty belt to school. :cool:

Sorry but a girl with a gun would probably attract me not scare me away. But that's just me. Also. Currently in the Hampton public library on Big Bethel OC'ing with no problems at all.

Doc_Smith

OC'd at Petsmart near the Patrick Henry Mall with my boxer Nemo. Old women, kids, and little puppies. No issues. Will probably go out more later.

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Atlantic Coast Tumbling and had a couple conversations with parents watching their kids. One girl (maybe 5) asked if I was a police officer and I told her that I am just a Dad.

Then OC-ed to Chipotle for lunch and it was busy. The skimped on my portions but I really don't need "more" food so I didn't say anything. I was worried that I wouldn't find a seat but got one of the last ones available to chow down. As I was finishing my meal a nice gentleman walked up and asked me about my gun and whether I had had any negative experiences while OC-ing. He was CC-ing at the time. I told him that 1) it was educational since people can see it and ask questions just like he did, and 2) it was proactive and a deterrant as opposed to CC. The majority of the "Armed Citizen" stories in or "It happened to Me" stories out there in NRA and other magazines they always talk about how the concealed-carry-permit-holder pulled out his gun and defended himself. If the gun was visible in the first place there is a good chance (approaching 70% based on prison interviews) that the attack never would have happened in the first place. I gave him a VA OC Info Card and encouraged his wife to carry too. :)

Overall a good conversation. I told him of two negative experiences that I had. 1) walking into walmart an 85ish woman blurted out "Why do you need a gun in Walmart?" and six months later in that Yorktown Walmart about 100ft from where she said that there was a stabbing and hostage situation. A gun would have been handy. 2) at 5 Guys while eating dinner a few years back a woman just stood and stared at me and our table the whole time we ate. It was bizzare and uncomfortable but we ate and left as usual with full bellies while she must have been hungry not eating while we were there. The negative experiences are far and few between. There are often positive encounters like today that far outweigh any negative ones.

DJEEPER

Had my usual mix of open carry and concealed carry today at work (XDm40 on the hip and LCP in the back pocket), then to subway, then back to work :)

I love my job :D

ocholsteroc

Had my usual mix of open carry and concealed carry today at work (XDm40 on the hip and LCP in the back pocket), then to subway, then back to work :)

I love my job :D

How does the LCP work in the back pocket when you sit down? :confused: I tried the LCP in back pocket around the house and sitting in the car, it didn't work.. I sat on the gun not good.

Doc_Smith

OC'd at the AMC 24 in Hampton on Big Bethel. Short note. It appears that the whole chain does not allow firearms in their theaters. I talked to the manager and that was his answer. He was polite as was the staff. He mentioned that when I walked up with my XDM it "rattled" the poor girls working there. But no matter. I put it in the car and watched The Hunger Games (great movie IMO). I complimented him and his staff on how they handled it though they were very professional. Also went back to my old job the Walgreens on Mercury in Hampton. Great to see some of the people I used to work with. Pretty good day overall.

DJEEPER

How does the LCP work in the back pocket when you sit down? :confused: I tried the LCP in back pocket around the house and sitting in the car, it didn't work.. I sat on the gun not good.

I usually do sit on it. While im working, I am standing up, so its still always there. Also, my XDm40 is not far from my hand, if you were worried about accessibility.

45acpForMe

OC'd at the AMC 24 in Hampton on Big Bethel. Short note. It appears that the whole chain does not allow firearms in their theaters. I talked to the manager and that was his answer. He was polite as was the staff. He mentioned that when I walked up with my XDM it "rattled" the poor girls working there. But no matter. I put it in the car and watched The Hunger Games (great movie IMO). I complimented him and his staff on how they handled it though they were very professional. Also went back to my old job the Walgreens on Mercury in Hampton. Great to see some of the people I used to work with. Pretty good day overall.

I believe most if not all movie theaters in the area ban guns. Many simply CC if they can. In general it is not a good practice to place your gun in the car and go back in. First of all someone can see you with and without the gun so they know if they break into that car they get a free gun. Secondly it allows the theater management to continue to believe that it is an acceptable policy. I would explain to them that no guns == no money for them. While I don't think it would change their opinion on the spot, if enough people keep telling them that they possibly could get the message.

When you do have to store your gun in your car try to keep it in a locked attached to something container that can't easily be opened or carried away. If someone breaks your window they should have to work to remove your gun. A trunk is a better place than an unlocked glovebox for example. Since my Ford Explorer doesn't have a trunk I bought a lockbox and steel cable and cabled it to the car. It won't stop a determined criminal but it is better than a glovebox. Also you have to think of your loss which won't be covered by insurance such that if I am going someplace that I need to leave my gun in the car I will bring a cheaper gun that day.

It sounds like at least you were polite and professional discussing the issue with the management. That goes a long way to help convince them that they are only stopping the "good guys" from carrying into the theater. Remind them that only the law abiding obey the laws so that their policy isn't going to affect any criminal element that wants to enter their theater.

Happy Carrying!

OC-ed to Farm Fresh and Dollar Tree last night. (in that same shopping center as AMC)

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

Bad idea. I would have went ot another place, people can see when you place your gun in your car.

Doc_Smith

I agree with you both but at the time I didn't have much time. I also know how to be discreet and make sure no one is paying extra attention to me (the army did say the skills I learned would help me in civilian life). I do try and set myself to a higher standard. Not only because I carry and I want to reflect well the group and make it more acceptable but also because I'm military and simply a human being. It's easy to forget that it's easy to be an upstanding member of society it seems. And I'll not let myself fall into that.

sparkman2

Carried into a 7-11 this morning and for some reason the clerk behind the counter gave me a free cup of coffee. I don't know a reason as to why he did it but I was very grateful for his generosity.

Doc_Smith

Carried into Patrick Henry Mall today. I've been looking for Wii Sports for my nephew. He loves the games on there so I had to get it for him. Luckily after trying 3 other stores one of the Gamestops in the mall had it. Had a great time with him tonight with it. I love being an uncle. I looked and I didn't notice a no weapons sign so I assumed it was okay. I had no problems. No one stopped me and I had a nice conversation about new releases with the employees of Gamestop. But on the subject of bowling. Does anyone want to try and do an open carry bowling night? I love bowling and Im sure others do aswell. Or has this been tried and crashed and burned?