• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hand was on my gun

Hombre

Banned
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Hmmm well you folks must not mind drug dealers and gangbangers on your street. I for one don't want em around and will see to it they get an all expenses paid trip to the grey bar hotel. I even had a turd across the street start up a meth lab a few years back. Just about choke at night if I had the windows open... the ammonia fumes were that bad.

I think we should teach said drug dealers, "Wash, rinse, repeat". Drug dealers have rights too you know. God forbid that some cop come up to one of them and engage them in conversation and then DARE to ask them for ID or any other questions.

WASH, RINSE, REPEAT. Remember that drug dealers and all other criminals. It's your right.

mikestilly

imported post

turbodog wrote:
scot623 wrote: 
My CPL instructor told me I am NEVER aloud to get in a verbal pissing match with anyone, I am armed so I have to be the bigger person and walk away. You certainly don't start a pissing match while armed.
+1

The problem with this comment is it wasnt a verbal pissing match. He simply asked him questions about why he was taking pictures of someones property that he knows. Which in my point of view is very suspicious. What's even more suspicious was his response in which I would have immediately backed off and contacted the police. Though he spoke with this guy much more then I would have, if the guy was coming toward me like he was going to assault me I won't hesitate to prepare to defend myself.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
turbodog wrote:
scot623 wrote:
My CPL instructor told me I am NEVER aloud to get in a verbal pissing match with anyone, I am armed so I have to be the bigger person and walk away. You certainly don't start a pissing match while armed.
+1

The problem with this comment is it wasnt a verbal pissing match. He simply asked him questions about why he was taking pictures of someones property that he knows. Which in my point of view is very suspicious. What's even more suspicious was his response in which I would have immediately backed off and contacted the police. Though he spoke with this guy much more then I would have, if the guy was coming toward me like he was going to assault me I won't hesitate to prepare to defend myself.
Two sides to every story. I'd like to hear the inspector's side and read the police report.

The way I see it from reading the OP's story is this: Mr. Inspector is doing his job, not really bothering anybody and certainly not doing anything illegal. The OP goes over and CONFRONTS Mr. Inspector while armed. The OP challenges the Inspector, who again, is doing NOTHING wrong or illegal. The Inspector tells OP to piss off (don't blame him) and the OP continues to assert some sort of authority even though he has NONE. THEN, the OP calls the police when the Inspector insists that the OP leave him the f$*@ alone.

WHO is the aggressor. I submit it is the OP and NOT the Inspector. Case closed.

easy

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Hmmm well you folks must not mind drug dealers and gangbangers on your street. I for one don't want em around and will see to it they get an all expenses paid trip to the grey bar hotel. I even had a turd across the street start up a meth lab a few years back. Just about choke at night if I had the windows open... the ammonia fumes were that bad.
and you failed to tell us what you did about the "turd across the street" :banghead:

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

I think we should teach said drug dealers, "Wash, rinse, repeat". Drug dealers have rights too you know. God forbid that some cop come up to one of them and engage them in conversation and then DARE to ask them for ID or any other questions.

WASH, RINSE, REPEAT. Remember that drug dealers and all other criminals. It's your right.
You're such an ass. There's just a minor difference between the activities of Open Carry and manufacturing or selling illegal drugs... Now what was that difference... Oh, yeah. One is legal, and one is not.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

You're such an ass. There's just a minor difference between the activities of Open Carry and manufacturing or selling illegal drugs... Now what was that difference... Oh, yeah. One is legal, and one is not.
Do you think drug dealers wear signs that say, "HI!!! I'M A DRUG DEALER AND IF YOU'RE THE POLICE YOU HAVE REASONABLE SUSPICION AND CAN DETAIN ME, ETC"??????????

No they do not wear signs. Good police work, done by dedicated cops, asking questions and INVESTIGATING the situation gets the job done. You guys are just like every other citizen.....you want the police to do this and that on anybody BUT you. Hypocrites.

cscitney87

imported post

The fact that taking photographs was perfectly not illegal for him
The fact that openly carrying a pistol is perfectly not illegal for you

It's ridiculous to refute how hypocritical ones actions may be: You can't get upset/angry/stressed about MWAG calls ... And then

You put out a MAN WITH A CAMERA call

I find it funny how people only call upon police officers when it's convenient for them. When it's not- you get a negative "don't need them" attitude - or something of the like. That's trashy- you take it or leave it.

scot623

imported post

Now it all makes sense as to why Kimberguy gets hassled by LEO's all the time....he carries a gun AND camera!!! The dreaded one two punch! ;) j/k

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
Do you think drug dealers wear signs that say, "HI!!! I'M A DRUG DEALER AND IF YOU'RE THE POLICE YOU HAVE REASONABLE SUSPICION AND CAN DETAIN ME, ETC"??????????

No they do not wear signs. Good police work, done by dedicated cops, asking questions and INVESTIGATING the situation gets the job done. You guys are just like every other citizen.....you want the police to do this and that on anybody BUT you. Hypocrites.
That's right. GOOD police work. I have a problem with the fact that so many criminals do get away with crap, while people exercising a legal right, legally, are getting criminally charged and harassed. You're right, though. A smart criminal will know his rights, and keep his friggin mouth shut, and prolong his time frame before getting caught. That is something I have to deal with if I want to continue being free, though. I'll deal with that, rather than be oppressed in trade for a false sense of security.

kubel

imported post

I thought I would add my support for the OP.

If a stranger is approaching, whether you are on your property or not, and you feel your life is threatened, it's up to you (not those of us who weren't there) to decide how you will stop or avoid that threat. The OP must have felt threatened, or else he would have never gone for his gun, right? Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also the topic was brought up on whether or not it is hypocrtical for OCers to be making man-with-a-camera calls when we are against people making man-with-a-gun calls. My view on this is: If I saw a man-with-a-[insert anything here], whether a camera, a gun, a knife, a lollipop, or nothing at all, if he's suspicious and I feel he 'doesn't belong', I might call the non-emergency police number to see if they can check things out. Of course that person is within his rights to not cooperate with or talk to the cops if he chooses not to. And I would hope that if the guy turns out to be doing nothing wrong, that the cops would let him be on his way immediately, just like how I would expect man-with-gun calls to be handled.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

marshaul wrote:
OK, can somebody make it clear again, what did this guy do other than take photos?
He took some photos of things that were not relevant to his job. Like the posters truck, and I don't think any one said he was wrong, but as a citizen of a neighborhood I have just as much right to ask a stranger questions just as much as he has the right to take photos. When the stranger becomes combative or acts in a manner that is out of the ordinary well then hey I'd call the cops too!

manicdevery

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
marshaul wrote:
OK, can somebody make it clear again, what did this guy do other than take photos?
He took some photos of things that were not relevant to his job. Like the posters truck, and I don't think any one said he was wrong, but as a citizen of a neighborhood I have just as much right to ask a stranger questions just as much as he has the right to take photos. When the stranger becomes combative or acts in a manner that is out of the ordinary well then hey I'd call the cops too!
+1

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:

That's right. GOOD police work. I have a problem with the fact that so many criminals do get away with crap, while people exercising a legal right, legally, are getting criminally charged and harassed. You're right, though. A smart criminal will know his rights, and keep his friggin mouth shut, and prolong his time frame before getting caught. That is something I have to deal with if I want to continue being free, though. I'll deal with that, rather than be oppressed in trade for a false sense of security.
In other words, 'He who would sacrifice essential liberties for temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety.'

Gee, didn't someone important say that once? :celebrate

Michigander

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
In other words, 'He who would sacrifice essential liberties for temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety.'

You're looking at it too deeply. Hombre is suggesting that the bill of rights gets in the way of good police work.

It would be sad that he honestly believes that, if it wasn't so God damned comical.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:

You're looking at it too deeply. Hombre is suggesting that the bill of rights gets in the way of good police work.

It would be sad that he honestly believes that, if it wasn't so God damned comical.
That's what I though he was suggesting all along. Although his points were very poorly made.

I would disagree with him since "good police work" isn't what I call it.

cscitney87

imported post

"Also the topic was brought up on whether or not it is hypocrtical for OCers to be making man-with-a-camera calls when we are against people making man-with-a-gun calls. My view on this is: If I saw a man-with-a-[insert anything here], whether a camera, a gun, a knife, a lollipop, or nothing at all, if he's suspicious and I feel he 'doesn't belong', I might call the non-emergency police number to see if they can check things out."

Sorry bud, but that's still extremely hypocritical. THE WHOLE POINT IS WHO THINKS WHAT IS SUSPICIOUS? Don't give me that neighborhood watch Bull crap either.

When I walk into the gas station OC- there is a lady in a car, watching me, she's waiting for her husband who's inside. SHE THINKS I AM SUSPICIOUS Should she call the police to come investigate me even though you hope they let me go without problems? Get a ******* life and come back here with some intelligent comments, rants, raves.

It doesn't matter if this GUY with a camera was SUSPICIOUS! SUSPICION is a matter of OPINION and is not a FACTUAL proper noun or verb that can be made illegal. You can't make BEING SUSPICIOUS illegal so get a ******* job and get back to the real world. You can feel he was suspicious all day long- because the sheeple will think you are suspicious all day long JUST FOR OPEN CARRYING. TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.

You don't want to be Terry stopped everytime someone thinks you are suspicious. That's just ******* stupid and you know it. Get out of town with that Guy with a Camera was suspicious so it's okay to call the cops as long as they determine he's legal and doesn't go to jail.

That's a mentally unstable logical conclusion to an activity that the cameraman was otherwise legally going about doing. SO WHAT that you THINK he's Suspicious. LOTS OF PEOPLE THINK ANYONE OPEN CARRYING IS SUSPICIOUS!!

It's not. Just like legally taking pictures of your MIL's house is NOT illegal. Open carry is legal and not suspicious so neither is legally taking pictures. Peddle that BS somewhere else.

You cannot selectively enforce your principles, logic, and laws on the community. Either he is legal and you leave him alone or he is legal and you don't leave him alone. You don't even have to say sorry to this guy for bothering him. You don't have to apologize to him for interrupting his otherwise normal day of photography and reporting to his employer.

It was wrong for the guy to follow you. It was very wrong. I support you getting prepared by putting your hand on the gun. I would have freaked out too when he followed me on the property.

But you were the aggressor. You approached him and questioned a man about an otherwise legal activity.

JUST LIKE when somebody off the street says "Hey are you a cop? Why do you have that gun?" "Hey are you supposed to photograph here? Why do you have that camera?"

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
"Also the topic was brought up on whether or not it is hypocrtical for OCers to be making man-with-a-camera calls when we are against people making man-with-a-gun calls. My view on this is: If I saw a man-with-a-[insert anything here], whether a camera, a gun, a knife, a lollipop, or nothing at all, if he's suspicious and I feel he 'doesn't belong', I might call the non-emergency police number to see if they can check things out."

Sorry bud, but that's still extremely hypocritical. THE WHOLE POINT IS WHO THINKS WHAT IS SUSPICIOUS? Don't give me that neighborhood watch Bull crap either.

When I walk into the gas station OC- there is a lady in a car, watching me, she's waiting for her husband who's inside. SHE THINKS I AM SUSPICIOUS Should she call the police to come investigate me even though you hope they let me go without problems? Get a @#$%ing life and come back here with some intelligent comments, rants, raves.

It doesn't matter if this GUY with a camera was SUSPICIOUS! SUSPICION is a matter of OPINION and is not a FACTUAL proper noun or verb that can be made illegal. You can't make BEING SUSPICIOUS illegal so get a @#$%ing job and get back to the real world. You can feel he was suspicious all day long- because the sheeple will think you are suspicious all day long JUST FOR OPEN CARRYING. TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.

You don't want to be Terry stopped everytime someone thinks you are suspicious. That's just @#$%ing stupid and you know it. Get out of town with that Guy with a Camera was suspicious so it's okay to call the cops as long as they determine he's legal and doesn't go to jail.

That's a mentally unstable logical conclusion to an activity that the cameraman was otherwise legally going about doing. SO WHAT that you THINK he's Suspicious. LOTS OF PEOPLE THINK ANYONE OPEN CARRYING IS SUSPICIOUS!!

It's not. Just like legally taking pictures of your MIL's house is NOT illegal. Open carry is legal and not suspicious so neither is legally taking pictures. Peddle that BS somewhere else.

You cannot selectively enforce your principles, logic, and laws on the community. Either he is legal and you leave him alone or he is legal and you don't leave him alone. You don't even have to say sorry to this guy for bothering him. You don't have to apologize to him for interrupting his otherwise normal day of photography and reporting to his employer.

It was wrong for the guy to follow you. It was very wrong. I support you getting prepared by putting your hand on the gun. I would have freaked out too when he followed me on the property.

But you were the aggressor. You approached him and questioned a man about an otherwise legal activity.

JUST LIKE when somebody off the street says "Hey are you a cop? Why do you have that gun?" "Hey are you supposed to photograph here? Why do you have that camera?"
^^

Not taking either side, since I was not there and do not presume to know what happened, but there are good points here that merit discussion.

Although, I am OK with calling the police if someone seems suspicious, just as I would not mind someone calling the cops on me, as long as the cops made the right decisions after they checked the situation out.

However, mere possession and use of a camera is not what I would call a reasonable trigger for suspicion. It depends also on demeanor [largely] of the person doing it, and where, and in some cases what they are photographing.

A dude in a suit photographing things in a museum, looks fine and normal.

The same dude in a suit photographing little girls outside a catholic school, this would trigger me to be suspicious and likely call police.

The same dude in a suit is photographing my house. I might think he looks like he is casing the place. This is not so clear cut, but if I decided to call the police, I would expect them to come, take a look, and determine from there. If he tries to hide or something when the car drives by, then they can go talk to him. If he seems to just be snapping photos of everything because he's an artistic someone, like Kimberguy, then they just keep driving.

A dude OCing at a gun range, store, car wash, fine whatever.

A dude OCing standing around a valet entrance, or a dude OCing while standing 4 feet from a vacant ATM, this might trigger suspicion for someone enough to call police. If this OCer were me, I would not be offended if cops did a drive by. If they come by and I'm robbing the guy at the ATM, well, then good thing they were called. If they come by and it turns out I was just waiting to cross the street, then they keep driving and I'm on my merry way and life is good.

There are three sides to every coin.

cscitney87

imported post

I appreciate your reasonable and rational response. Thank you. We need more intellectual conversation like this and obviously less "You are wrong because I am right."