• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Registration Repeal question

griffin

it does in fact, seriously limit the law abiding citizens choices for defensive weaponry.

Maybe, but there are still similar alternatives, like real AR and AK pistols. Maybe one day we all will be able to carry loaded "patrol rifles" in our cars.

TheQ

Maybe, but there are still similar alternatives, like real AR and AK pistols. Maybe one day we all will be able to carry loaded "patrol rifles" in our cars.

If I go on a "ride along" and there is a loaded "patrol rifle" in the trunk, am I committing CCW when the cop steps out?

Yooper

I look at it both ways. There are tremendous advantages in repealing registration, however, it does in fact, seriously limit the law abiding citizens choices for defensive weaponry.

The only way for this to not be a gun control bill, is for it to include the elimination of laws that prevent you from carrying a rifle concealed, and those laws should extend even to the darkest shadows of DNR regulations so that they can't pull the BS that they are doing at the ranges.

You really have to watch the .gov.

The biggest advantage is that repealing registration turns a privilege (asking govt permission to purchase a handgun) into a right (no govt permission to purchase handgun). The rest is a non-argument. It's like saying that if you get a government permit, they'll allow you to talk freely outside of your house.

I agree with you on rifles/shotguns. Although I don't have any type of clothing where I could possibly conceal either. It would be nice if they would get rid of the transport laws for rifles/shotguns. Colorado, while not perfect, is pretty damn close, in that a rifle/shotgun can be carried anywhere in a vehicle, uncased, with a loaded tube/magazine/clip inserted (where applicable) as long as there isn't a round in the chamber.

TheQ

I agree with you on rifles/shotguns. Although I don't have any type of clothing where I could possibly conceal either. It would be nice if they would get rid of the transport laws for rifles/shotguns. Colorado, while not perfect, is pretty damn close, in that a rifle/shotgun can be carried anywhere in a vehicle, uncased, with a loaded tube/magazine/clip inserted (where applicable) as long as there isn't a round in the chamber.

I know a guy that has a Mossberg 500 securely attached to the top of the inside of his pickup. This would become sadly illegal :(

stainless1911

Banned
The biggest advantage is that repealing registration turns a privilege (asking govt permission to purchase a handgun) into a right (no govt permission to purchase handgun). The rest is a non-argument. It's like saying that if you get a government permit, they'll allow you to talk freely outside of your house.

This is more about car carry.

detroit_fan

I know a guy that has a Mossberg 500 securely attached to the top of the inside of his pickup. This would become sadly illegal :(

I understand this, but why not get PP & registration repealed then work on repealing long gun restrictions?

also, what do you think is a bigger inconvenience- not being able to carry MI pistols, or the people who have to try to take off work to get a PP because their police dept only offer them from 12-3 on tues & thurs. how many people in MI do not buy a pistol to carry because there are too many hoops to jump through just to buy one.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
not to mention the areas that have a "waiting period" and make you come back to pick up your permit during those same hours. there are still places that try to charge you for the permit too

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I understand this, but why not get PP & registration repealed then work on repealing long gun restrictions?

also, what do you think is a bigger inconvenience- not being able to carry MI pistols, or the people who have to try to take off work to get a PP because their police dept only offer them from 12-3 on tues & thurs. how many people in MI do not buy a pistol to carry because there are too many hoops to jump through just to buy one.

+1

The law Yance and I wrote that drew so much negativity would take care of this too.

(2). A person shall not carry a weapon concealed, on or about his or her person, except in his or her house, dwelling place, place of business, vehicle, or on other land possessed by that person, unless that person is licensed to carry a concealed weapon or pistol, and shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

ETA would also allow people w/out a CPL to carry LG in car.

not to mention the areas that have a "waiting period" and make you come back to pick up your permit during those same hours. there are still places that try to charge you for the permit too

+1

Last edited:

TheQ

Most ppl eligible to buy a pistol in MI are also eligible for their permission slip to carry it concealed.

Thus the RI-60 process takes away the inconvenience factor.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Most ppl eligible to buy a pistol in MI are also eligible for their permission slip to carry it concealed.

The cost and time restraints make if difficult for some to obtain a CPL. Others it's a principle thing.

SpringerXDacp

Even with the repeal of handgun registration, 18 to 20 year-olds are still federally prohibited from purchasing handguns from an FFL. I simply don't see much of an advantage, for anyone, due to a repeal. IMO, the disadvantage is much greater as we will most likey lose CCW (vehicle & on foot) of Mi Pistols (sans AR & AK types). Furthermore, what are the advantages of the repeal in terms of the FGFSZ, especially for those without a CPL?

*Why try to fix what ain't broken*

SpringerXDacp

Even with the repeal of handgun registration, 18 to 20 year-olds are still federally prohibited from purchasing handguns from an FFL. I simply don't see much of an advantage, for anyone, due to a repeal. IMO, the disadvantage is much greater as we will most likey lose CCW (vehicle & on foot) of Mi Pistols (sans AR & AK types). Furthermore, what are the advantages of the repeal in terms of the FGFSZ, especially for those without a CPL?

Remove 750.227d and amend the FGFSZ Act to allow/confirm all lawful carry by non-prohibited persons and I'm good to go.

Evil Creamsicle

Bought a handgun on 9/11 [kind of got some satisfaction out of that]

...thought about waiting 8 or 9 of the 10 days to see if they passed this so I wouldn't have to register it.... lol.

I did though, in the end... figured I didn't want to not have time to turn it in.

detroit_fan

I am right there with you! It is just unbelievable to me how many are worried only about THEIR ability to carry a MI pistol, instead of the greater good it will do to have more MI citizens able to purchase guns without having to jump thorough hoops and ask permission.

This argument that it has to be either/or is just absurd! Help pass HB5225 then lets get the long gun laws fixed so it's not an issue.

Bronson

Take back what we can when we can and keep working on the rest.

It's like that old saying "if you wait to have children until you're ready, you'll never have children." If we only support legislation that is perfect we'll never support any legislation.

Bronson