• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HARDBALLER got me in trouble today.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I'm In! Set The Date! I'll Be There And I Will Try To Bring A Few Others With Me!

Wow, after reading your last post Hardballer I am convinced we have to have a picnic in your neck of the woods. Any date you set on a Sunday (preferred) or a Saturday is good for me. Sunday means I can bring others that have to work on Saturday.

Let's have a picnic!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
A guy threatening to follow you around and make a fuss wherever you go?

Consider Wisconsin's anti-harassment statute:

“Engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which harass or intimidate the person and
which serve no legitimate purpose.”

Class B misdemeanor.

Last edited:

MKEgal

McX said:
damn shame the nut case didnt get a disorderly conduct ticket, based on totality of circumstances for sure.
+100
With more OCers, and/or people with fast fingers with video cameras, we'll have enough evidence to at least get him ticketed.

As for going waaaay out there to a picnic, depends on gas prices & if I can get a job.
It's about a 6 hour drive, longer if I take the bike since she doesn't like to go as fast for as long. Or we can set up another carpool thread.

hardballer

Ok. Lets go with June 25th, a Saturday and I will update with details. I suspect a start time of noonish till whenever is good and we can add from there. Any ideas of how to deal with food? Just post them here. I was unable to contact the legion today but I will try again. Also there is a gun club just outside of town with a very nice range and field house. We could incorporate a day of shooting with camaraderie and maybe do a Main street walkabout in Alma... I was unable to contact the gun club either. No one has a message machine. Geeze. Anyway, post ideas.

Zeus

Did this guy even look 58-65 yrs old? I've heard a lot of poser jackasses claim to be Vietnam Vets who aren't even old enough to have been there. Could have been some pot smoking hippie wanna be from the 70's. The homicide detective thing would be really hard to believe, they know more than anyone that bad guys don't pick on armed citizens. Have to be a little nuts to scream at a guy/gal with a gun. He is probably a felon and pissed because he can't open carry.

hardballer

Did this guy even look 58-65 yrs old? I've heard a lot of poser jackasses claim to be Vietnam Vets who aren't even old enough to have been there. Could have been some pot smoking hippie wanna be from the 70's. The homicide detective thing would be really hard to believe, they know more than anyone that bad guys don't pick on armed citizens. Have to be a little nuts to scream at a guy/gal with a gun. He is probably a felon and pissed because he can't open carry.

We have a first name and are looking into it.
He did not look old enough.

M

McX

A guy threatening to follow you around and make a fuss wherever you go?

Consider Wisconsin's anti-harassment statute:

“Engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which harass or intimidate the person and
which serve no legitimate purpose.”

Class B misdemeanor.

conduct like that could cause him to lose his permit! har-har.
The instructor in the Utah class told us an interesting tale: you see a guy standing at the curb, waiting for the light to change to cross the street, and there isnt a damn car around for miles. But he's still waiting for the light to change. he's a permit holder, an absolutely law abiding citizen. Leftists and other nuts dont have to be absolute law abiding citizens i guess.

CalicoJack10

I am for sure marked down for the 25th, I will be passing the info on the a couple vets to see what they think about going with me.

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
I must say I laughed when you (Hardballer) said the entire LE was there. I was thinking if memory served me, Alma is not a very big town. It has been quite a few years since I have been there.

I will check my calendar. Maybe I can work in a get away weekend in for the family that weekend????? Nothing like making it a family event. Start educating the youngin's while you can!

I love that part of the state.

Keep us posted!

MKEgal

2 slightly off topic comments

Hunting Mama said:
Nothing like making it a family event. Start educating the youngin's while you can!
Last time I was at the range I saw a girl who was maybe 9 or 10(??).
As I signed in, she was trying holding several pistols from the 'used' case, with her dad watching & the employee taking much time to make sure they fit her hand & weren't too heavy... as well as explaining that once she made sure the pistol handed to her was unloaded, she could close the slide (with instructions how to do both). :D :monkey :banana:

By the time I was done shooting, they were looking in the windows at me, so of course I smiled & waved at her. They both went in to play while I sat cleaning & doing paperwork. I was a little suprised to see that she had her own lane & dad wasn't standing by, watching, but I guess he knows she's safe.

McX said:
The instructor in the Utah class told us an interesting tale: you see a guy standing at the curb, waiting for the light to change to cross the street, and there isnt a damn car around for miles. But he's still waiting for the light to change. he's a permit holder, an absolutely law abiding citizen.
Most other states, it's only legal to cross in a crosswalk or at a corner and with the light (or if there is no light, then not jumping out in front of traffic).
Here in WI, crossing against the light or outside of a crosswalk is generally legal,
BUT the pedestrian has to yield to traffic.
The only time a pedestrian in WI has right of way is in a crosswalk, with the light (or if there is no light, then again, not jumping out in front of traffic).
(See WI stat. 346.23 - 346.25)

Last edited:
Running around and yelling out to people "They got guns" Is disorderly conduct for sure, trying to incite panic and fear is a crime and could have caused someone to attack them in which they would have to defend themselves. And running into a bank and yelling they got guns is tantamount to running into a crowded theater and yelling fire, it's not protected speech. He should have been arrested for harrasment, disorderly conduct, trying to incite a riot, and anything else I can't think of. This guy if he did fight in viet nam would probably be one of those who tell you they fought for your rights, which is ironic because he obviously doesn't know what your rights are.

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
Last time I was at the range I saw a girl who was maybe 9 or 10(??).
As I signed in, she was trying holding several pistols from the 'used' case, with her dad watching & the employee taking much time to make sure they fit her hand & weren't too heavy... as well as explaining that once she made sure the pistol handed to her was unloaded, she could close the slide (with instructions how to do both). :D :monkey :banana:

By the time I was done shooting, they were looking in the windows at me, so of course I smiled & waved at her. They both went in to play while I sat cleaning & doing paperwork. I was a little suprised to see that she had her own lane & dad wasn't standing by, watching, but I guess he knows she's safe.

My 10 yr old daughter is a dead shot with .22 ,.223, 410 and a 20 ga. , unfortunately I don't have a smaller caliber pistol for her to shoot yet.

My daughter I would trust on a lane by herself, now for a bunch of boys that I know that she took hunters safety with, no way! They are simply not mature enough, yet. Hopefully in time they will be.

I apologize that this is a bit off topic, but the get together and education kind of ties it in! :)

oak1971

Glad to hear all ended well, I would have liked the crazy fellow to have a nice long discussion with the police on the finer points of proper decorum in public. My theory is he probably hates cops and may have blown a gasket and got himself a free ride in a squad car.

CalicoJack10

My thoughts on this whole situation is that someone who is making such a stink is borderline a threat, at the point in which he was in my face yelling I would have identified him as a threat. Mainly because he is escalating his actions. I would have had to give him the typical verbal warnings, and then if they didnt work there is always a "Citizens Arrest". Imagine the look on the LEO's faces when they show up and you have this guy buried face down and tell them that he was a threat so you effected a citizens arrest and you did not use your side arm to do so.

As far as kids and shooting, I have many nieces and nephews that are all avid shooters because of me, and I already have a pink Cricket .22 for my daughter. With another child on the way I am sure I will end up with another .22 or 2 for the kids to shoot.

BROKENSPROKET

Glad to hear all ended well, I would have liked the crazy fellow to have a nice long discussion with the police on the finer points of proper decorum in public. My theory is he probably hates cops and may have blown a gasket and got himself a free ride in a squad car.

I am pretty sure they had a really good discussion with him. No one from the bank called LEO. After the crazy man left us, he went down the street to Kwik Trip and was telling people how two men were in the bank wtih guns causing problems. The County Investagator was fueling up. To him, I can imagine he was thinking MWAGx2 at a bank. But, not alarn of 911 call had come from the bank. Hardballer and I were sitting on a park bench a block from the bank when the County Investagator went fright past us to the bank and went in rather quickly. Later that officer said that the bank staff said that we were not the ones that was causing the disturbance.There was alteast one another witness that said Hardballer and I did nothing wrong, and the crazy man was badgering and harrasing up.

I am absolutely fine with the crazy man just getting a warning. If he were ever to harrass us again, I will call LEO immediatelty, as we were instructed to do.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
My thoughts on this whole situation is that someone who is making such a stink is borderline a threat, at the point in which he was in my face yelling I would have identified him as a threat. Mainly because he is escalating his actions. I would have had to give him the typical verbal warnings, and then if they didnt work there is always a "Citizens Arrest". Imagine the look on the LEO's faces when they show up and you have this guy buried face down and tell them that he was a threat so you effected a citizens arrest and you did not use your side arm to do so.

As far as kids and shooting, I have many nieces and nephews that are all avid shooters because of me, and I already have a pink Cricket .22 for my daughter. With another child on the way I am sure I will end up with another .22 or 2 for the kids to shoot.

You're armed, he's not. You're going to convince the DA that he was a "threat" to you? An annoyance, perhaps, but a threat that needed to be physically subdued? There's a disparity of force in your favor so you run a substantial risk of being perceived as the aggressor. Good luck in court with that plan.

I wouldn't recommend getting involved with a citizens arrest unless you had witnessed a felony or serious misdemeanor, or had been asked to help effect an arrest by a law enforcement officer. Cops are hired to do the dirty work. Let 'em.

BROKENSPROKET

I wouldn't recommend getting involved with a citizens arrest unless you had witnessed a felony or serious misdemeanor, or had been asked to help effect an arrest by a law enforcement officer. Cops are hired to do the dirty work. Let 'em.

I loved it when an LEO spoke in favor of SB90 & SB93 at he public hearing in Wausau. He said, to paraphrase, " I would like to know that a citizen could come to my aid if I am every getting my butt kicked."