• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hartford MI, State Police to the Rescue

Tucker6900

I thought about the registration after he told me he was going to run the number. Iowa does not have a registration requirement, so yes, I believe that would have gotten ugly.

I still chuckle at the Bad Cop-Good Cop routine they tried. I thought they only did that in the movies.

Tucker6900

handled very well,i would have LOVED to hear the recording,does anybody think it would be worth trying to FOIA it from the LEO's so that it could be used for reference purposes on how to conduct yourselves?

@ Venator...:shocker:

In the process as we speak.

autosurgeon

I thought about the registration after he told me he was going to run the number. Iowa does not have a registration requirement, so yes, I believe that would have gotten ugly.

I still chuckle at the Bad Cop-Good Cop routine they tried. I thought they only did that in the movies.

They will be reminded that not all guns are registered that they might run across.

Two years ago when I had my run-in with the Coloma Township police they tried the good cop bad cop gag too. Pretty sad and obvious procedure!

PDinDetroit

Well handled.

Just goes to show that you can decide not to produce ID while OC'ing and can firmly assert your rights without being belligerent about it. It is nice to see as well that the Local PD can learn and change as well as the State Police understanding Rights.

Haman J.T.

Having heard of no changes,since my FFL days,form 4473 is held in the dealers files(no data base),which can be requested for inspection by BATF 24/7 at the dealers place of business(home,building etc...).My place of business was my home,so they could come into my home 24/7 to inspect my 4473's!Any current FFL holder could let you know if that has changed.The only change I know of is the length of the form from one page to 2 or 3.
Good Job Trucker! I hope that I can handle my next LEO contact as well(working through my inevitable adrenaline dump LOL!)! CARRY ON!

Last edited:

Onnie

Having heard of no changes,since my FFL days,form 4473 is held in the dealers files(no data base),which can be requested for inspection by BATF 24/7 at the dealers place of business(home,building etc...).My place of business was my home,so they could come into my home 24/7 to inspect my 4473's!Any current FFL holder could let you know if that has changed.The only change I know of is the length of the form from one page to 2 or 3.
Good Job Trucker! I hope that I can handle my next LEO contact as well(working through my inevitable adrenaline dump LOL!)! CARRY ON!

Looks like you are correct step 13 in the directions say the original must be made a permanent file and kept in YOUR records for no less then 20 years so its is NOT sent into the feds...........

Sheldon

It was city of hartford police... small town police dept. I have OCed while talking with them many times with no issues... Like I said they seem to have gotten ahead of themselves.

Sent from my Droid Flipside using Tapatalk

So the Chief was posturing for some unfathomable reason.... and the state put him to rights before he could get his foot too far in his mouth......

autosurgeon

So the Chief was posturing for some unfathomable reason.... and the state put him to rights before he could get his foot too far in his mouth......

Yeah I don't know what the problem was.... Michigan Open Carry holds a litter pickup on the two mile stretch of I94 right at that Exit we are there twice a year and have been for 2 years... A group of us has OCed at that gas station several times to buy water gas and other items...

The amount of fail on the part of the Chief is amazing!

Tucker6900

Yeah I don't know what the problem was.... Michigan Open Carry holds a litter pickup on the two mile stretch of I94 right at that Exit we are there twice a year and have been for 2 years... A group of us has OCed at that gas station several times to buy water gas and other items...

As per my OP, the guy behind the counter had some questions, but didnt seem to be upset about it at all. He was polite and chatty after we had the "firearm" conversation. Still, I wasnt shocked to hear that they called.

The amount of fail on the part of the Chief is amazing!

I have a feeling that his attitude had something to do with the State and County boys who were in the vicinity.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
As per my OP, the guy behind the counter had some questions, but didnt seem to be upset about it at all. He was polite and chatty after we had the "firearm" conversation. Still, I wasnt shocked to hear that they called.

I have a feeling that his attitude had something to do with the State and County boys who were in the vicinity.
And just quite possibly, your out of state license plates as well.

Tucker6900

And just quite possibly, your out of state license plates as well.

True. I never thought of that. Maybe they figured someone from out of state didnt know what the laws were and didnt know their rights. Im glad to have my former michigander status as a secret weapon!

eastmeyers

I believe the majority of states now have the front/back law. I believe WE are in the minority. :uhoh:

(how do you think that OH State Trooper knows to start the car and start pulling out before you even pass him, even if you were even going 1mph over, and all the OH cars were going faster than you? Because you have no front plate!)

Last edited:

protias

I believe the majority of states now have the front/back law. I believe WE are in the minority. :uhoh:

(how do you think that OH State Trooper knows to start the car and start pulling out before you even pass him, even if you were even going 1mph over, and all the OH cars were going faster than you? Because you have no front plate!)
Only 4 states do not require front plates, with OH considering going that way as well.