• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hartford MI, State Police to the Rescue

TheQ

1. Red light cameras for ticketing aren't allowed in MI as autosurgeon stated.
2. I've heard 15 over is reckless. Since the statute doesn't precisely say I'd say this leaves it up to the LEO interpretation, what the prosecutor feels he can convict on, and what a jury will buy into.

Sounds like the law may be unconstitutionally vague.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I might be wrong, but I think the actual name of the violation is "driving in excess of the speed limit" or something like that, possibly just "exceeding the speed limit." The term, "speeding" is simply the generally used short version for that violation.

Of course, should your speed exceed I think 20 mph over the speed limit, it then becomes reckless driving instead, a felony I believe.

Reminds me of the Steven Wright joke:

I got pulled over by a cop and he said, “Do you know the speed limit here is 50 miles per hour?” So I said, “Oh, that’s OK, I’m not going to be driving that long"