• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have 12 months to save for a handgun, any suggestions?

Kromwell

Taurus PT line

Check out Taurus's PT series. PT809, PT840, and PT845. Available in compact models as well.

Just got my wife a PT809c, and myself the PT840. Great pistol's, and very very accurate. The full size have all ambidextrous controls (mag release/slide release/decocker-safety). All versions also have a loaded chamber indicator. All come with a hard size case, 2 mags, mag loader, bore brush, 2 keys, and the full size versions also come with 2 other size back straps as well. Paid $367 for each of our pistols. Extremely happy with them.

tomrkba

The carry rig, along with stuff, will be cost almost as much as the gun. I recommend the Comp-Tac kydex reinforced belt. It's an excellent belt that holds up the gun and ammo nicely. Add in a good horsehide IWB holster from Milt Sparks, Brommeland, or similar along with two matching single magazine holders and you'll be good to go. Consider buying a DeSantis Cozy Partner in addition to the other holster. The Cozy Partner is an excellent, and comfy, holster with more forward cant than most other holsters. The "problem" with it is that the holster lacks a metal reinforced mouth and will collapse if it gets sweaty. This is fine for daily carry, but not so good for training classes.

The Glock 19 is a great gun and is easy to conceal, especially in a DeSantis Cozy Partner. Consider the overall height as a very good rule of thumb for concealed carry. There are quite a few equivalent guns. You should be able to find a used Glock 19 for around $400.

One gun to consider is the Browning Hi-Power MK III. You get 13+1 capacity (use only Browning magazines; others seem to be a crap-shoot) in a very easy to carry and shoot package. Add some nice cocobolo grips from Herrett's, some night sights, bevel the magazine well, tune the trigger and you'll have a very nice gun.

An even more concealable pistol is the Kahr K9. It is a single stack gun in 9x19mm. Sometimes Kahr quality can be hit or miss. Mine had reliability problems, but other people I know have had excellent results with their K9s.

The Glock 26 or S&W M&P 9 Compact are great little carry guns. I have had excellent results and reliability with the Glock 26, but only minimal exposure to the M&P 9 Compact.

The Springfield Armory EMP in 9x19mm is another excellent gun. It is the same height as the Glock 19, but the slide is a bit shorter. It comes ready out of the box with night sights, ambidextrous safety, beveled magazine well and nice wood grips. It is very accurate and mine had no trouble digesting steel cased Tula ammo as well as JHP ammo. You should be able to find one used for around $900, but it may exceed your budget. I think it's worth saving for.

Another option would be to buy a rig for your Model 10. Add a front night sight and get the trigger tuned. Buy some boot style grips and you're done. You will be a very, very good shooter if you can master the double action revolver trigger at speed. Buy a reloading setup for 38 Special, several thousand rounds of 158 grain 38 Special +P jacketed semi-wadcutter hollow point ammunition and practice frequently.

Check out these sites:

summitgunbroker.com
jgsales.com
cdnninvestments.com

Last edited:

HPmatt

I really like my Walther PPQ 9mm for CC, very similar to the XDM and S&W MP9, I think the difference between these is really is just how the grip fits. Swappable backstraps work well - all of these are under $650 or so.

Primus

You can save for 12 minutes and get a highpoint... just work on your throwing skills at the range for when it breaks on you.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

S&W SD9VE. (no, it's not a Sigma.) You say you like a Glock 19, and it's more or less that, but it costs $300.

I agree, best kept secret in handguns. If it was me and it was my first combat semi auto I would get 9mm. 9mm has more ammo selection than most other calibers, it is the 38 spl of semi autos. SD9VE is about the same size and weight as a Glock 19. IMO it has a much safer trigger than the Glocks short light trigger. I have heard the SD trigger breaks at around 8 pounds, a model 10 the trigger breaks at 18 pounds DA. The SD will be more like the model 10 when carrying.

WalkingWolf

You can save for 12 minutes and get a highpoint... just work on your throwing skills at the range for when it breaks on you.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

You obviously know nothing about Hi Points, they are reliable, built like tanks, and have lifetime no questions asked warranty. They are accurate and affordable. They are a little heavy and bulky for CC though.

EMNofSeattle

EMN, Did you ever make it to your 21'st , to get your CPL and a new hand gun?
It's time to check in,young man.

............................Jack

I have my CPL, still just a pair of revolvers. I'm looking at obtaining a Glock or a Kahr coming up soon. now that I have a job and have some money saved up I'm looking at using my blue label discount coupon to get a 400 dollar glock. still trying to decide wether I should get the 19 or the 26.

EMNofSeattle

You obviously know nothing about Hi Points, they are reliable, built like tanks, and have lifetime no questions asked warranty. They are accurate and affordable. They are a little heavy and bulky for CC though.

I personally don't like them, I don't like the idea of a direct blowback for any caliber hotter then .380

I could buy one tommorow, but I'm still saving. for awhile I was barely making enough money to put some aside, now I have a semi-well paying job so I'm going to buy a pistol probably next month. either Glock or a Kahr CW 9. but a compact or sub compact 9.

I don't really despise hi-points. buy whatever you like, I don't like them myself, and yes I have shot one.

WalkingWolf

XDs are like Glocks, only better.

The M&P is also better then a Glock. And the gun is starting to build a following based on quality, instead of fad. More and more police departments are switching to the M&P, and I have yet to read a report of a M&P Kaboom.

ETA I don't despise Glocks or any gun, it is a inanimate object. Each one has merits that fit certain people and their needs.

Which is what owning and using a firearm should be based on, common sense, not keeping up with Officer Jones.

Also Blue Label is nothing special, Bud's sells white label for blue label prices. And then there is GSSF where a person can buy a two year membership and buy a Glock a year for? You guessed it blue label prices. Glock market is slipping, that is evident by their tripping over themselves to include almost anybody into the program. Tow truck drivers in NY who work for the LEA can purchase blue label as first responders. Clerical clerks in the court house. That is just ridiculous.

BTW doesn't your new job issue you a firearm?

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

The M&P is also better then a Glock. And the gun is starting to build a following based on quality, instead of fad. More and more police departments are switching to the M&P, and I have yet to read a report of a M&P Kaboom.

ETA I don't despise Glocks or any gun, it is a inanimate object. Each one has merits that fit certain people and their needs.

Which is what owning and using a firearm should be based on, common sense, not keeping up with Officer Jones.

Also Blue Label is nothing special, Bud's sells white label for blue label prices. And then there is GSSF where a person can buy a two year membership and buy a Glock a year for? You guessed it blue label prices. Glock market is slipping, that is evident by their tripping over themselves to include almost anybody into the program. Tow truck drivers in NY who work for the LEA can purchase blue label as first responders. Clerical clerks in the court house. That is just ridiculous.

BTW doesn't your new job issue you a firearm?

Nope. If you're referring to the fact that I used to want to be a cop I decided not to pursue that as of now. I am now a commercial driver.

EMNofSeattle

Also Blue Label is nothing special, Bud's sells white label for blue label prices. And then there is GSSF where sa person can buy a two year membership and buy a Glock a year for? You guessed it blue label prices. Glock market is slipping, that is evident by their tripping over themselves to include almost anybody into the program. Tow truck drivers in NY who work for the LEA can purchase blue label as first responders. Clerical clerks in the court house. That is just ridiculous.

I think the M&P is in fact a fad, but it's a deserved one. the M&P is a great pistol. i dont know if they function better then glocks, but the warranty is certainly better and i think they fit my hand like a glove. very ergonomic. I remember years ago it was a big deal that S&W basically gave the M&P .40 away to the State of Washington. Troopers hated the USP and then S&W offered a deal that was practically a steal,now the WA State Patrol, Park Rangers, Fish and Game, ect all carry M&P 40. I was about 14 when that was happening. the media was big on the switch and the next year there were M&Ps at every range.

funny thing about blue label, they sell them to security guards with state licenses, well my dad couldnt qualify for one because he was a security guard at a state hospital as a state employee and WA doesn't require, nor will they let you obtain a security license if you worked directly for the owner of the property youre guarding. in house security is practically unregulated. so a minimum wage guard from Allied Barton can get one, but a proffessional guard for the Port Of Tacoma or a hospital who recieve more advanced training and are paid like professionals don't qualify....

mobiushky

I think the M&P is in fact a fad, but it's a deserved one. the M&P is a great pistol. i dont know if they function better then glocks, but the warranty is certainly better and i think they fit my hand like a glove. very ergonomic. I remember years ago it was a big deal that S&W basically gave the M&P .40 away to the State of Washington. Troopers hated the USP and then S&W offered a deal that was practically a steal,now the WA State Patrol, Park Rangers, Fish and Game, ect all carry M&P 40. I was about 14 when that was happening. the media was big on the switch and the next year there were M&Ps at every range.

funny thing about blue label, they sell them to security guards with state licenses, well my dad couldnt qualify for one because he was a security guard at a state hospital as a state employee and WA doesn't require, nor will they let you obtain a security license if you worked directly for the owner of the property youre guarding. in house security is practically unregulated. so a minimum wage guard from Allied Barton can get one, but a proffessional guard for the Port Of Tacoma or a hospital who recieve more advanced training and are paid like professionals don't qualify....

M&P triggers suck (except for the Shield). If you replace it with an Apex trigger, it's a top notch choice. Word is some LEO's are trying to get S&W to install an Apex from the factory. A friend of mine (yes LEO) carries a .40 M&P but he constantly complains about the trigger. He wants to get an Apex, but the department he works with won't allow any "aftermarket" mods. If it came from the factory with the trigger, they would allow it. He's said as soon as he can order one from the factory with Apex, he's buying it. He also has a Shield and said he loves it as is.

WalkingWolf

M&P triggers suck (except for the Shield). If you replace it with an Apex trigger, it's a top notch choice. Word is some LEO's are trying to get S&W to install an Apex from the factory. A friend of mine (yes LEO) carries a .40 M&P but he constantly complains about the trigger. He wants to get an Apex, but the department he works with won't allow any "aftermarket" mods. If it came from the factory with the trigger, they would allow it. He's said as soon as he can order one from the factory with Apex, he's buying it. He also has a Shield and said he loves it as is.

IMO the trigger on M&P is just fine, it is what a combat trigger is intended to be. Not a SA type trigger on a gun with no safety. One of the finest firearms built was the Colt Python WITH a long 12# trigger pull. A bunch pansies that can't pull a 8# trigger. Explains why they cannot pull up their pants above the butt cheeks. For a SA trigger buy a single action gun.

OP might as well carry his M10 around with the hammer cocked, it is the same thing. He is used to a M10 trigger he should be very capable of handling a M&P. After he is not a weenie.

Last edited:

mobiushky

IMO the trigger on M&P is just fine, it is what a combat trigger is intended to be. Not a SA type trigger on a gun with no safety. One of the finest firearms built was the Colt Python WITH a long 12# trigger pull. A bunch pansies that can't pull a 8# trigger. Explains why they cannot pull up their pants above the butt cheeks. For a SA trigger buy a single action gun.

OP might as well carry his M10 around with the hammer cocked, it is the same thing. He is used to a M10 trigger he should be very capable of handling a M&P. After he is not a weenie.

It's not about pull weight or length of pull. It's about mushy feel, spongy break, and longer difficult to find reset. The Apex cures all of those issues. The M&P stock trigger is woeful. If S&W would put the Shield trigger on the full size models, it would be superb.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

It's not about pull weight or length of pull. It's about mushy feel, spongy break, and longer difficult to find reset. The Apex cures all of those issues. The M&P stock trigger is woeful. If S&W would put the Shield trigger on the full size models, it would be superb.

Yea yea, then don't buy one! But all you do is put down other gun makes instead of telling us what a wonderful godlike gun a Glock is. I really don't understand why some people have such low self esteem that they cannot get through a day without insulting others possessions, or just admit to being a Glock fanboy.

BTW please tell us how a trigger pull can be harder than a Glock and be spongy? This would be like calling a 50# bow spongy compared to a 35#. Please enlighten us with a detailed description?

Last edited:

mobiushky

Yea yea, then don't buy one! But all you do is put down other gun makes instead of telling us what a wonderful godlike gun a Glock is. I really don't understand why some people have such low self esteem that they cannot get through a day without insulting others possessions, or just admit to being a Glock fanboy.

You need to give up the fanboy accusations. It's some kind of unhealthy obsession.