• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have 12 months to save for a handgun, any suggestions?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Well today was the big 2-0, I got 12 months to save for a handgun and a CPL once I turn 21, now I already have a .38 model 10 which is what I'll use as an open carry piece when/if I OC, But I would also like to get a CC piece

What I'm looking for is a compact semi-auto
9mm or .45 ACP (common ammo, I don't do non-standard rounds)
preferably striker fired, but DAO is ok too
Double stack mag
and I can realistically save 800 dollars for a firearm, new or used doesn't matter to me really so I can save money buying a used piece

Now I've already fired a Glock 19 and I really like those, but I was also looking at

Glock 30 SF
S&W M&P 9
Sig P-250
FNP-9M (which has left handed controls, i'm a lefty so that's nice)
Beretta Px4 DAO

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or preferred a particular pistol mentioned, again since I haven't fired many semi-autos I kind of want some guidance on what other people like so I can ponder it for the year and walk into the gun shop or WAC show knowing what I'm looking to buy.

ANY input is appreciated. thank you in advance for any answers.

If doesn't fit your double-stack requirement, but I love the PT709 and PT740... I have 4 of them now... One each in black and stainless.

.45acp in a compact truly sucks.

The better news is you'll have plenty of money left over for ammo.

I used to hate Taurus and swore I'd never own one. Now, I'm becoming a bit of a fanboy... I just can't find mean things to say about them. Even my PT1911AR... Or my PT738... My only non-Taurus handguns now are my IO Hellpup and my Llama MicroMax .380 in stainless... Oh, and the M11/9mm... :p

Gallowmere

Nope. If you're referring to the fact that I used to want to be a cop I decided not to pursue that as of now. I am now a commercial driver.

Welcome to the club. We truck drivers tend to make more money, and have far less chance of being ordered to do something that's morally bankrupt. ;)

EMNofSeattle

So just to let everyone know. I did end up buying a handgun. I have a couple that were gifts, this is the first one I bought myself with my money.

and I got a Taurus Model 85, stainless with wood grips and a bobbed hammer. this is for concealed carry and to use as a BUG when open carrying my model 10. although I have plenty of money, I like the value, my LGS (LEED in Tacoma, WA) sold me the firearm for about 330 dollars.

WalkingWolf

So just to let everyone know. I did end up buying a handgun. I have a couple that were gifts, this is the first one I bought myself with my money.

and I got a Taurus Model 85, stainless with wood grips and a bobbed hammer. this is for concealed carry and to use as a BUG when open carrying my model 10. although I have plenty of money, I like the value, my LGS (LEED in Tacoma, WA) sold me the firearm for about 330 dollars.

Good buy!:D Just please avoid pocket carry without a pocket carry holster. :D

EMNofSeattle

Good buy!:D Just please avoid pocket carry without a pocket carry holster. :D

nope, I also purchased a Bianchi IWB holster for concealed carry with it.

I am not sure yet wether the best choice was made to get one without a spur to cock the hammer, mine's DAO. but if that ever becomes an issue I can just sell the one I have and buy one with a DA/SA hammer....

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

nope, I also purchased a Bianchi IWB holster for concealed carry with it.

I am not sure yet wether the best choice was made to get one without a spur to cock the hammer, mine's DAO. but if that ever becomes an issue I can just sell the one I have and buy one with a DA/SA hammer....

The spurless were IMO originally made for pocket carry. I knew officers in the 70's who would bob their hammers for pocket carry. Now these days DA only is becoming the intention. Not having the spur makes retention for a leather holster more difficult, but if you are CCing I don't see it as a big deal.

You should be able to buy a spurred hammer from Numrich's gun parts if you decide you want the SA capability. But I noticed with both Rossi and Taurus revolvers they stack at the end of the travel, almost like single action.

Last edited:

Elm Creek Smith

I'm on my second Taurus 85, an SS2UL (stainless steel, 2 inch, UltraLite). I foolishly traded off the first one I had. It still has the hammer spur, but I have carried it in a pocket holster as a backup to my duty revolver. Currently it is on "loan" to my older daughter until I can round up something to replace it.

You made a good choice.