• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help for Admins. -> Tell them what needs to be tweaked in one spot vs many thoughout.

Do you like the "new" format vs. the "old" one?

• Total voters

eastmeyers

Hi John

I've noticed that only messages I sent prior to the change-over show up in the sent folder view. In my case 6-22-10. I have sent several messages since then but I cannot see anything dated after the switch in my sent folder?

its in your messages settings, you have to click save sent messages or something like that, I noticed that the first day and found the solution. Hope this helps

stainless1911

Banned
When I hit the spellcheck button on my toolbar, my whole post dissappeared. :cuss::cuss:

Although I voted for the old forum, I really appreciate the work that you do, I cant even imagine what goes on behind the scenes here. I guess you said that the old forum was about to implode, so this change is certainly for the better.

I am sooo grateful to have OCDO to begin with, and such a dedicated staff to run it. You even support free speech, unlike some groups that I know of. It bugs me that we cant discuss long gun OC, as it is still the best place to find the real cites on the issues, but thats another topic. Im glad to have OCDO in any format, without it, the OC movement would be at a tremendous disadvantage, and people would be doing prison time over stoopid chit like riding a bike OC w/out a CPL. WHo would know about such a retarded law without this site.

All in all, nice job guys, and give yourself some away time, so you stay fresh.:dude:

stainless1911

Banned
Just my .02cents, but I really dont want to see the ads within the posts. Grrrr. Top of page, Ill tolerate, I understand the revenue thing. Not in the posts. I want to be able to concentrate sometimes, and really study out what someone says, or cites, and NOT be distracted by some blinking flashing ad thing that I cant afford to begin with. If I needed or wanted one, and had the money for one I'd already have one.

malignity

I agree. The ads on the first post on the right are a bit ridiculous. The ads are lagging the hell out of the website, especially if loading it via phone. It takes forever to load, even on an 8mb/s cable connection.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I understand the need for a different/faster interface for mobile phones and am working on getting a mobile skin on app.

I was really psyched about Tapatalk until a ton of forums it was installed on used a security flaw to bring down the forums (including Glocktalk).

They claim to have patched the hole and a TON of sites still use it but I am really not sure. If anyone has any experience with the issue, PLEASE let me know!

There is also talk that vBulletin 4.1 (the next upgrade expected out later this year ... DID YOU HEAR THAT WOWBB? I CAN KEEP UP TO DATE!) will have native mobile support.

Thanks!

John

I agree. The ads on the first post on the right are a bit ridiculous. The ads are lagging the hell out of the website, especially if loading it via phone. It takes forever to load, even on an 8mb/s cable connection.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Two quick things:

1) There is only an ad on the first post on the page not all.

2) There are a number of adblockers that do work. While we are hoping to use the ad revenue to partially pay for the site and maybe even build radio money, I trust our users to make up their own mind about that support. if they bother you, you can block them. PM Doug Huffman for the name of the product he uses which he seems happy with based upon his posts elsewhere.

Thanks!

John

Ok, Im going to have to download an ad blocker. Im not going to put up with ads in the posts themselves, if that doesnt work, then Im gone.

stainless1911

Banned
I dont have a problem at all with the ads ion the top of the page, I just scroll down to where I dont see them, and they dont bother me anymore. I hardly watch TV because of the commercials, and I disconnected my home phone because I had 10 telemarketers calling for every call I actually wanted.

eastmeyers

Well here is the thing...
This site is free (free as in you are not charged).
You pay by ignoring (or reading) the ads on this site, by downloading a program that makes them disapear that takes away revanew from John and Mike. This is not right, just sayin.
:confused::rolleyes:

American Boy With a Gun

Well here is the thing...
This site is free (free as in you are not charged).
You pay by ignoring (or reading) the ads on this site, by downloading a program that makes them disapear that takes away revanew from John and Mike. This is not right, just sayin.
:confused::rolleyes:

But what if you already had software that blocked adds?, i mean, before the conversion? I agree, downloading something just for the sake of blocking the adds on this site is a bit petty.

eastmeyers

But what if you already had software that blocked adds?, i mean, before the conversion? I agree, downloading something just for the sake of blocking the adds on this site is a bit petty.
That is totaly different, but in all honesty I believe their is away to go thru and set your cookies a certian way specificly for THIS site and it will not effect the adds here. Also from my understanding if you block the adds you also loose the smiles, the dancing banana, and the monkey. Now I could be wrong about one of these things, or all of these things I just am not 100% postitive, but this is how I understand things.