• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me understand

MamaLiberty

imported post

You need more than a new doorknob! Get a metal storage box with a strong lock on it - just for those times when you feel you cannot carry. Put that box WAY out of reach of any children. If they are not educated and properly supervised, they are a SERIOUS danger to you!

And yes... the sooner you move out of that zoo, the better. sigh

TTcrunchberry

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
OK, you need to make a trip to the hardware store and get a new doorknob for your room THAT LOCKS! If this roomate of yours doesn't want to educate his kids about firearm safety (or firearms at all) and allows his kids to rumage around in your room at will, you've got a recipy for disaster that he will undoubtedly blame on you, if one of his kids should find your gun and accidently shoot themselves or one of the others while playing with it

Obviously this guy has no respect for the rights of others, such as privacy rights. And doesn't teach his kids about this either. Sounds like a real idiot to me.

Better yet, move if you can.
I would love to move!! I do have the gun locked in a lock box and I have the key on me at all times but he was supposed to go out and buy a latch for the top of the door so they don't get in and he has failed to do so. I guess the only reason I haven't gone out and bought a lock or latch myself is because I'm waiting for him to take responsibility of his own kids and "fears." But you are totally right!

TTcrunchberry

imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
Just to cheese him off, you should sit his kid down sometime and explain to her the real reasons you carry. I bet she'll get it. She's probably brighter than daddy. :p
Her and I actually had a talk about my pepper spray the other day and she new exactly what it was and what it is used for. I just think it's sad that my 3 year old has more gun and gun safety knowledge than 8 and 10 year olds. The dad hunts and has a rifle literally just sitting on the floor inside his room. One day when he was gone I took it and put it as high up as I could. I think he's just one of those people that thinks guns are only for hunting because his kids know about longarms...they just don't know not to touch them. IT IS really hard living in a place that is not in agreement about rules and safety and such...

TTcrunchberry

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
You need more than a new doorknob! Get a metal storage box with a strong lock on it - just for those times when you feel you cannot carry. Put that box WAY out of reach of any children. If they are not educated and properly supervised, they are a SERIOUS danger to you!

And yes... the sooner you move out of that zoo, the better. sigh
Yup, I have one of those, I guess I maybe should have said that in my other post. I don't just leave it laying around by any means but it does still make me kinda uncomfortable with his kids in my room even if it is locked up, ya know?!

TTcrunchberry

imported post

Thank you all so much for your feedback and I may continue to update you here. I also posted something in the general discussion forum that I would like you alls opinion on. It's about gun storage and safety. You have all been great, thanks again!!

TTcrunchberry

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
TTcrunchberry wrote:
Thank you all so much for your feedback and I may continue to update you here. I also posted something in the general discussion forum that I would like you alls opinion on. It's about gun storage and safety. You have all been great, thanks again!!
Link provided:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/45946.html

Yata hey
Thanks for the link!!

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

I think everyone else has already hit the high points. Why carry all the time? I think the boy scouts sum it up best: "Be prepared". Crime happens in the most unexpected places, and it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Why open carry? A variety of reasons. I OC sometimes and CC others. Aside from the deterrent effect that others have mentioned, I find that OC is just a much more comforatable way to carry. I have 2 pistols, my trusty .38 spl wheelgun, and a little slim .380 auto. I have always preferred the revolver. It is a simple gun to operate, it is much more accurate, and it has better stopping power. It fits my hand better than the .380 and has a natural point of aim that I've never found in an automatic.

That being said, it is a medium size gun and is tough to conceal.

I grew up around rifles and shotguns, but seeing people walking around town with a gun openly displayed was always rare. Even though I grew up around guns I still felt a little weird when I first started carrying a few years ago. I thought that people were staring at me, and for some inexplicable reason I had an irrational fear that I would get in trouble for doing something wrong, even though I knew I was perfectly within my rights.

Anyway, fast forward a few years, and here I am. I still OC, but now I don't have that guilty feeling about it. It's like carrying a cell phone or a PDA. And once I started being OK with carrying a gun, it seemed like the rest of the world did too. Once I stopped being nervous and rationalizing it, it just became sort of natural. Now a lot of people don't even notice it because it just sort of blends in with me somehow. It feels natural and therefore it looks natural, and it doesn't bother folks as far as I can tell. So why not open carry?

CPerdue

imported post

To the OP,

I've one tiny insight from some tense talks with my wife on the OC subject. She sees OC as potentially putting me more at risk from police and other officialdom. Tales of LEO misconduct, on this board and elsewhere, make it a valid concern even though I've never had a less than cordial encounter with one. This is part of why I dress the part of a clean-cut good guy whenever possible.

It took my wife a long time to be able to articulate that particular fear. She had an unconscious strain of, "you are going to get yourself killed needlessly by a rookie cop you idiot!" coloring her thinking, tone of voice, word choice, etc. I, actually being an idiot at times, got defensive because I was being challenged for doing a good thing.

Since then we've talked about what I plan to do if I ever meet that rookie and done other things to take the fear out of the situation. Mainly she has figured out what is making her nervous, then I'm on guard to tell her what I'm planning so she is reassured that I've considered the risks.

Hope this helps.

C.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
"why do you feel the need to carry everywhere, all the time?" And I don't feel like I've ever used a rude tone
The question itself is rude. But you don't understand why.

What is the meaning in the words? That question implies that there are times when it is more appropriate to be killed, than to protect one's self. Please explain to me when and where these times/places exist? When is it inappropriate to be alive and plan and prepare to stay that way? Please justify the dis-logic of the question you've asked.

Rephrase it to follow it's actual meaning as a statement instead of a question: "I feel there are times when you should accept being killed because you don't deserve to live."

Is that not offensive and rude? I think it is.

I'm not trying to tear you a new one. Just pointing out how easily propagandist dis-logic enters out lives, and we even become practitioners of it without even knowing. Examine that question logically, see what it means to imply, and try to make any sense of it. You can't. Yet it's still in you. How did it get there?

You were lied to, ever so subtly, and you fell for it.

TTcrunchberry

So, I moved out and into an apartment and got a biometric safe! Yay! But...now that I'm in the apartment tenants have complained about my boyfriend open carrying on the property so I got a phone call from the landlord this morning asking that they be covered because it upset people. At first I just kinda agreed and hung up with her. Then I called back to ask for the owner and found out that the lady I had talked to was an equal partner. So, I told her that I was in no way going against my lease or breaking any laws by carrying concealed or openly and that I don't feel that I should have to compromise my safety because the gun makes other people nervous. She said that she thought we were just drawing attention and that she was simply making a request that it be covered, sort of got an attitude with me and it was mostly left at that. Now, as much as I want to stand up for my rights and such, I'm nervous that I'll lose my apartment if we continue to "butt heads" or if tenants continue to complain. Any suggestions?

eye95

When you stand up for what you believe in, you will "butt heads" with those who think different and who refuse to accept the validity of your beliefs. Some may even abuse any power they have over you in a way that leaves you no real or reasonable recourse.

Pray for serenity to accept the things you cannot change. And, if your lease is not renewed, be thankful that you will no longer be beholding to a bigot.

Good on you for your willingness to endure unjust consequences in order to do the right thing.

MKEgal

How would you suggest I ask in a better way that won't provoke his defences??

Maybe try starting out with "Help me understand why" or some variation on that?
Maybe after feeding him his favorite meal and his favorite adult beverage, so he's happy & relaxed? ;)

As for explaining why I carry, I can only second some of the explanations you've gotten so far -
seatbelt, smoke alarm, insurance analogy
more criminals than police in society
my life is at least as valuable as anyone elses & I will defend it
crime can happen anywhere, any time - Luby's cafeteria in TX, VA Tech, Columbine, Ft. Hood, churches, homes

As for why I carry openly, well, in WI that's the only legal way to do it. We're seriously behind the times. But when I go to other states, like to visit my mom, & CC is legal there, I CC so I don't worry her. I don't think she even knows I carry.

Sometimes open is more convenient, sometimes concealed is more comfortable for the situation. I don't have that choice.

utbob2004

I am the youngest of 7 children and the only boy. I grew up in a house full of women who learned how to shoot just like I did. My mother and father both had their handgun permits and carried the majority of the time, mostly concealed. My youngest sister is now a police officer in Missouri and is one of the only woman on the SWAT team there so I know that woman know how to use a gun. I am from a small town in west tennessee near Memphis. Now I know that all of America has seen how violent this city can be. My girl friend was born and raised in Memphis in a not so great neighborhood. She is terrified of pistols but didn't mind that I had a shotgun in my gun rack at my apartment. I asked her why is she so afraid of pistols and her response was "because I've only seen cops and bad guys with pistols before." I have had my permit for about half of our relationship now and it still bothers her that I carry every where I go. Even if I can't carry in a certain area, I bought a little pistol safe for the car that I put my firearm in. I open carry about 40% of the time and the only reason why I conceal the other 60% is because she don't like the attention that having a firearm gets us when we are together. I have given her the argument that "i have wipers on my car because I don't know when and where the rain will happen" etc etc. The fact is that violent crime is so bad in Memphis that one MUST have a way to defend themselves and the ones they love here. I wish this wasn't the case but sadly it is. I choose to open carry because in my permit class i was given the "rule of 3" speech. The average attack will be in 3 seconds 3 shots will be fired and it will be within 3 feet of you. I don't know about you but I'm not that fast at moving my shirt, engaging the target, and firing a couple of rounds in less than 3 seconds. It is all in personal preference on how to carry. I just wish that my girlfriend would go to the range with me. Your BF is lucky to have such and understanding girlfriend!

utbob2004

So, I moved out and into an apartment and got a biometric safe! Yay! But...now that I'm in the apartment tenants have complained about my boyfriend open carrying on the property so I got a phone call from the landlord this morning asking that they be covered because it upset people. At first I just kinda agreed and hung up with her. Then I called back to ask for the owner and found out that the lady I had talked to was an equal partner. So, I told her that I was in no way going against my lease or breaking any laws by carrying concealed or openly and that I don't feel that I should have to compromise my safety because the gun makes other people nervous. She said that she thought we were just drawing attention and that she was simply making a request that it be covered, sort of got an attitude with me and it was mostly left at that. Now, as much as I want to stand up for my rights and such, I'm nervous that I'll lose my apartment if we continue to "butt heads" or if tenants continue to complain. Any suggestions?

I don't know about in Minnesota but here in Tennesee, a land lord has the right to tell you that you can not even own a gun in the house/apartment you are renting if they don't want you to. It might be worth glancing at the laws again...but im with you on this one....i wouldn't know what to do in that situation

Butch00

I would rather carry for 99 years and not have to use it, than need it and not have it.
Because then you really need it.