• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi-Point

Hi-Point 9mm

• Good Gift

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horrible Girft

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eastmeyers

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
My recommendation is always to think about what it will be used for and then make the decision on what to get.

Sounds to me like at least for the time being he won't be carrying much if at all. If that is the case, he needs a good shotgun. If one is attempting to secure their home, and rightfully so as that is the first place you should feel secure, a good shotgun is always the starting point. Until he gets a CPL and can carry everywhere open or otherwise a shotgun will do a lot more for him. If you're going to an event together loan him a handgun. If he starts to get serious about handgunning and carrying, let him decide what type of gun he would want to have and to carry. There are few things more personal and intimate than a carry sidearm. Just my opinion of course and it's worth everything you paid for it.
Isn't it illegal to "loan" a hand gun to someone whom does not posses a CPL?

Michigander

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Isn't it illegal to "loan" a hand gun to someone whom does not posses a CPL?
Yes, in this God forsaken state, it sure is.

autosurgeon wrote:
It is Hornady XTP... I carry them in my CZ 82
I loaded some up 200 grain XTP bullets for my Sig P220. The reason being was that I wanted to find a HP bullet that was pointy enough to feed in a gun that prefers FMJ's, and they were the best thing I could find.

I haven't had the chance to wet pack them yet, but I did shoot some off last range trip. For a HP design, they seem like very reliably profiled bullets.

If I am satisfied with the wet pack test I'm going to do, as well as the penetration test I plan to do with an old jacket, a glass bottle, and some drywall, then it will become my new carry bullet.

Michigander

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
My recommendation is always to think about what it will be used for and then make the decision on what to get.

Sounds to me like at least for the time being he won't be carrying much if at all. If that is the case, he needs a good shotgun. If one is attempting to secure their home, and rightfully so as that is the first place you should feel secure, a good shotgun is always the starting point.
I used to feel that way, but I don't anymore.

A shotgun can't be so easily carried when needed. It is probably the most effective portable defensive system that money can buy, but it has very limited use, especially in a modern urban environment.

A handgun, just as long as it is reliable and can fit a users hand, can do all the same things as a shotgun with good aim, and can be carried. Plus, if a newer shooter ends up with a handgun that he or she doesn't like, it can be sold, and a new one bought.

A handgun is probably the toughest defensive firearm to get good with, but it is also the most feasible to use. :uhoh:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I've never owned a Hi-Point, but I've thought about getting one. When I worked security down in New Orleans (post Katrina) a lot of guys there had Hi-Points in either 9mm or .40 S&W. I never saw one of them jam when we went target shooting, and they require just the minimal cleaning.

I asked one guy why he carried one, and he told me, if he had to use it, he would only be out one cheap pistol (assuming it get confiscated by the police, pending investigation) and he'd be more likely to get it back than not, as opposed to using his Glock, that he decided to leave at home.