• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many of you OC with a round chambered?

amlevin

sirpuma

I carry a SA XD45 Tac in a Serpa CQC condition 1 all the time. I've never heard of accidental discharges with the firearm in the holster and never heard of a pistol with a safety that prevents it from being fired based on the angle of the firearm to the plain of gravity. (a new 'feature' on the Gen4?) Generally if someone's firearm discharges as they are drawing it, it's because they have failed at Rule No. 2 "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch till you are ready to fire the weapon." Practice drawing with an empty firearm or with snap caps so you can get used to drawing from your carry position without shooting yourself in the foot.

The Patriot

I have a Glock 22. And I have the exact same holster. You take the advise you said thanks to and you are on your way. Main thing is get comfortable with your pistol. And yes....PRACTICE DRAWING UNLOADED!!! WHILE KEEPING YOUR FINGER STRAIGHT WITH THE FRAME.[

Jeff Hayes

It's possible, some instructors were better than others. One claimed that if you are concealed carrying and your firearm shows, it's brandishing in any state. Another claimed that Las Vegas was exempted from preemption, despite the change in preemption law in Nevada a few years ago. They've recently started recommending against the Serpa for the exact reason meggers said.

I know they have hired a lot of new instructors I hope this is not an indicator of where they are going. I will be taking my SERPA holster and I guess a spare holster now. I have never been to a firearms class where the instructor did not say something that was incorrect, that is simply mind boggling for me.

To get back on topic here I always carry with one in the tube either a 1911 condition 1 or an XD with one in the pipe. I do not carry my BUG with one in the tube mainly because of where I carry it and the safety on that pistol. I am looking for another BUG as I just found out the value of my current BUG is a lot higher than I thought. When I get the new BUG I will most likely carry it ready to go.

amlevin

I know they have hired a lot of new instructors I hope this is not an indicator of where they are going. I will be taking my SERPA holster and I guess a spare holster now. I have never been to a firearms class where the instructor did not say something that was incorrect, that is simply mind boggling for me.

You don't even have to be in a class to have an "expert" espouse some BS they have no clue on.

I was in one of the local ranges and the "resident expert" (an employee) tried to convince me that the SERPA holster had a fatal flaw. He said that if one were to pull first on the weapon, before actuating the release, the firearm would remain locked in the holster while your assailant "shot the $h!t out of you".

20 straight successful draws from mine, while tugging so hard I almost gave myself a wedgie, and he changed the subject.

No matter what the holster, manufacturer, material, angle, belt attachment, there will be someone that doesn't like it and there's no reasoning with them. Ignoring works best. Keeps the blood pressure down.

Tawnos

You don't even have to be in a class to have an "expert" espouse some BS they have no clue on.

I was in one of the local ranges and the "resident expert" (an employee) tried to convince me that the SERPA holster had a fatal flaw. He said that if one were to pull first on the weapon, before actuating the release, the firearm would remain locked in the holster while your assailant "shot the $h!t out of you".

He's partially right. My older model Serpa does that, there were either some changes in the actuator or the different Serpas for different pistols have different tolerances for order of press and draw.

*edit* I don't consider it a fatal flaw any more than a galco with a thumbreak is "fatally flawed" because if you attempt to draw before releasing the snap it won't come out.

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

He's partially right. My older model Serpa does that, there were either some changes in the actuator or the different Serpas for different pistols have different tolerances for order of press and draw.

*edit* I don't consider it a fatal flaw any more than a galco with a thumbreak is "fatally flawed" because if you attempt to draw before releasing the snap it won't come out.

I'll attest to this. My serpa is fairly new and if I pull up on the gun, and THEN push the button, the friction between the inside of the trigger guard and the release mechanism is too great for it to move under the pressure of my finger. You've probably practiced so much that your finger is pressing the release before you even start to lift the gun out of the holster.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I've heard of ND when holstering.

I've heard of pistol ND when drawing.

I've heard a tale of early Serpas being jammed with a pebble.

I've heard that Serpas weren't allowed on a range due to the danger of ND.

Now except for that gritty little pebble (which bothers me not, Serpa fixed early design) where does the blame for these problems really lie?

Send me any Serpas you don't like, I'll give it a good home. :lol:

Call me old fashioned.... but I like the smell of leather and a nice leather thumb break with my Sig's.....

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
The firing pin safety when holstered is something I was told by a dealer. .

I think dealers are THE WORST people to go to for information on guns lol. It's pretty sad. When looking at a gun, do all the research online. Going to the store should just be to see how the gun feels in your hand, and for the transaction. 9/10 dealers I've talked to are dumb as rocks. The 1/10 that aren't are great guys though!

amlevin

Call me old fashioned.... but I like the smell of leather and a nice leather thumb break with my Sig's.....

My Sig goes out in wet weather wearing a Kydex (Serpa) holster and for dressy indoors a Galco Leather holster. It seems to like either one. I figure that as long as I keep my Sig happy it will take good care of me.

amzbrady

No, but I could carry my rifle in a Guitar Case. It would fit right in in Downtown Seattle.

As for carrying a pistol without a round chambered, it's been stated many times, un-chambered is just unloaded.

I bet the people who live in Kowafoornya wish that was the case...

I think dealers are THE WORST people to go to for information on guns lol. It's pretty sad. When looking at a gun, do all the research online. Going to the store should just be to see how the gun feels in your hand, and for the transaction. 9/10 dealers I've talked to are dumb as rocks. The 1/10 that aren't are great guys though!

+1, Wanna be know it alls.
They will just be trying to sell you the most expensive gun or their oldest inventory that they want to get rid of.

TechnoWeenie

I bet the people who live in Kowafoornya wish that was the case...

+1, Wanna be know it alls.
They will just be trying to sell you the most expensive gun or their oldest inventory that they want to get rid of.

There are exceptions....

Cascade in Lacey, Mary's in Tacoma...

BOTH suggested against higher cost weapons because my needs were filled by something more economical....

Dan jokingly suggested I get a Cobray M11 for CC though, haha.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The firing pin safety when holstered is something I was told by a dealer. I

I think this old wives tale originates from a very effective modification that you can make. Installing a light weight (titanium) firing pin with a heavier spring can be done in such a manner as to prevent the pin from moving forward to strike the primer, even if dropped straight on the muzzle from some exaggerated height. This must be carefully done so as to not effect the reliability of the pistol though. The primary reason for changing the firing pin is really to replace a broken or worn one.

Of course now that I've mentioned it, I can't find the original reference/cite. :(

Mech

When I first started OC'ing, I carried with a snap-cap in the chamber and a full magazine. I know it can be weird, but that's what I was comfortable with.

Now I carry with a round in the chamber and ready.