• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am amazed at how many permit holders are against open carry!

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Graymutt wrote:
Palidin, I agree..alot of them should have been executed along time ago. But my point is how are we to tell upstanding citizens from a criminal?

How do you tell them apart now? What if you see someone in a car; are they a criminal or not? Can you tell the difference between a criminal and an upstanding citizen standing in a line at the bank?

Get real. You tell criminality by action. If there is no observable violation, leave the person alone. This doesn't mean to ignore them. If your cop-sense starts tingling, then by all means, observe the person closely. But if all they are doing is shopping while OCing, leave them alone.

Mungo

imported post

How do you tell a law abiding citizen from a criminal?

- If more LAC carried, we wouldn't have to worry as much about criminals in the first place. Criminals prey on the weak and unarmed. Take away the "source of food" and you take away the predator.

- LAC are not afraid to OC, because they can legally own a firearm. I doubt criminals would OC.

To the original question, I have my CCW. I wish I did not have to have a permit to carry a weapon. To me that is rediculous. A right to self defense from whatever source should be a certain unalienable right.

I use to carry concealed in order to prevent hysteria and soccer moms from flipping out. But I firmly beleive in the 2nd amendment right. But to be honest, it's a PIA to carry concealed.

Rights are being whittled away everyday. Since I have my CCW, I don't have to OC for self defense. I'll admit, I'm a new found OC'er because I want to raise awareness.

Graymutt

imported post

Doug, you are right I need to keep my words consistant.

Back to what point I was trying to make. If you carry, most likely you are carrying for defense because of the criminal element around. My point is that there are some that should not be carrying ,althought they will carry no matter what.I talked to several persons who carry daily, and they all basicly said thesame thing, how to tell good from bad is the biggestissue.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Graymutt wrote:

Back to what point I was trying to make. If you carry, most likely you are carrying for defense because of the criminal element around. My point is that there are some that should not be carrying ,althought they will carry no matter what.I talked to several persons who carry daily, and they all basicly said thesame thing, how to tell good from bad is the biggestissue.
Actually, it is relatively easy to do so. You judge them by their actions. Situational awareness will always be a responsible priority. End of story.

Yata hey

Graymutt

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Graymutt wrote:

Actually, it is relatively easy to do so. You judge them by their actions. Situational awareness will always be a responsible priority. End of story.

Yata hey
I learned along time ago to keep my head on a swivel. it has saved me a few times.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Graymutt wrote:
My point is that there are some that should not be carrying ,althought they will carry no matter what.

I talked to several persons who carry daily, and they all basicly said thesame thing, how to tell good from bad is the biggestissue.
I apologize and am not picking on you.

You say that there are some that should not in your opinion be carrying a weapon. You and we are not given that option or that freedom in the Second Amendment which "shall not be infringed."

You say such tyranny is fine just so long as you agree with the tyrant's dicta.

As to your 'several persons' and their biggest issue, "two personal anecdotes do not data make."

My point is that we should work to have as many open carrying legally armed citizens as possible.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

Graymutt wrote:
After having many conversations with my fellow CHL's the only point that was valid for not wanting open carry is that how do you know if a person that is carrying is not a felon? there were many other things that came up security of the weapon and such but the only thing that passed the common sense test was knowing if the person is a felon.

It's not up tous to prove to the world that we are notfelons. Everyone is innocent until provent guilty. So give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

But also keep your wits about you, and trust your instincts.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Graymutt wrote:
Palidin, I agree..alot of them should have been executed along time ago. But my point is how are we to tell upstanding citizens from a criminal?

How do you tell them apart now? What if you see someone in a car; are they a criminal or not? Can you tell the difference between a criminal and an upstanding citizen standing in a line at the bank?

Get real. You tell criminality by action. If there is no observable violation, leave the person alone. This doesn't mean to ignore them. If your cop-sense starts tingling, then by all means, observe the person closely. But if all they are doing is shopping while OCing, leave them alone.
Exactly so.

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Graymutt wrote:

Yata hey

BINGO

Give that man the bubble gum cigar.

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Graymutt wrote:
My point is that there are some that should not be carrying ,althought they will carry no matter what.

I talked to several persons who carry daily, and they all basicly said thesame thing, how to tell good from bad is the biggestissue.
I apologize and am not picking on you.

You say that there are some that should not in your opinion be carrying a weapon. You and we are not given that option or that freedom in the Second Amendment which "shall not be infringed."

You say such tyranny is fine just so long as you agree with the tyrant's dicta.

As to your 'several persons' and their biggest issue, "two personal anecdotes do not data make."

My point is that we should work to have as many open carrying legally armed citizens as possible.

Doug has gone to the heart of the issue.

It is freedom for all or none.

I remember seeing a story about a blind man in a wheel chair, who had a carry permit and carried.

There were those who argued that he should not be allowed to carry.

If anyone needs to be able to protect himself, it should be this man.

If he ever used his gun it would be at contact distances and he could feel where to shoot, even if he could not see.

We do not have the right to judge another's need.

All who want to carry, should be allowed to carry.

If they do something that is wrong, they should be punished for that crime.

If their punishment allows them to remain living, they should be allowed to protect themselves again when they have paid their debt.

We are not God who can see into the hearts of men. If we claim freedom, we must allow others that same claim.

Graymutt

imported post

Doug, dont worry about picking, thats part of what I am doing on the forums. If I cant take a little disagreement or pointing out my weakness I shouldnt be here.

Palidin, freedom is realitive. If a man commits murder in the right way, he may lose his right to life. Ifhe steals, he can lose his right to freedom. As was said earlier, there is a responsiblity that goes with freedom. If we give total freedom, does that mean that someone can murder someone else and keep thefreedom.

imported post

Graymutt wrote:
Doug, dont worry about picking, thats part of what I am doing on the forums. If I cant take a little disagreement or pointing out my weakness I shouldnt be here.

Palidin, freedom is realitive. If a man commits murder in the right way, he may lose his right to life. Ifhe steals, he can lose his right to freedom. As was said earlier, there is a responsiblity that goes with freedom. If we give total freedom, does that mean that someone can murder someone else and keep thefreedom.

I believe we agree.

When I say freedom, I mean freedom of choice, but freedom is NOT free from responsibilityassociated with the consequences associated with that choice.

One of the great problems we have today is that people want to make choices and then have no accountability for those choices.

In the perfect world, justice would be swift and sure.

I have really talked much on a idealistic plane. The world is not perfect and everyone is not either good or bad.

Still a prostitute can justly cry rape and a person who has onetime committed a felony can have a need for self defense. This is basic just like the right to eat and the right to breath.

When I call for freedom it is not a call for freedom from laws or justice. All actions have consequences and if we are free to make the choice we must be ready to accept the consequences.

Graymutt

imported post

yep, I think we agree. You have a valid point about the right to defend even if you are a convicted felon.

trl

imported post

Hey everyone, I'm one of those LEO's and I'm in California just some food for thought. I'm not really understanding this hole OCing i get what it means but why do it? I hear the argument it can be a deterrent and in some rare cases it may be. Remember how criminals think NOT like you or us the law abiding people. If someone goes into a store to commit a 211 (robbery) or a 245 (assault with a deadly weapon) that gun on your hip just brings the unwanted attention you are not prepared for or trained for and could get you killed. Remember you have no 960 (back-up)That is the reason LEO. come out successfully in these situations. WE always say be a better witness.I always sit and think of these situations and work them out in my head with what training I've had and hope luck is on my side that day. Now don't get me wrong I'm all for the 2nd amendment, why not focus on C.C.W. There is nothing like the element of surprise, trust me!The victim or the victims family members are going to be all over you even if they where a scum bags remember in their eyes "My baby was a good boy" yea right! What about the bullet that goes off and kills the innocent civilian? Good luck on keeping anything you own.. and remember where the law abiding one we have stuff to lose.. I just think C.C.W's is better focused energy. In the Academy we see all the Video's you guy don't. Some thugs walk into the Liquor store and the guy over the counter takes a 40cal. right in the face. Now what makes you think you wouldn't have been his first round if he sees you asa potential threat. think about it concealed would have been a better choice. I know these are crazy situations but that why you want to have a gun in the first place? Food for thought.

respectfully..

L.E.O on your side..:D

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

trl wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm one of those LEO's and I'm in California just some food for thought. I'm not really understanding this hole OCing i get what it means but why do it? I hear the argument it can be a deterrent and in some rare cases it may be.  Remember how criminals think NOT like you or us the law abiding people. If someone goes into a store to commit a 211 (robbery) or a 245 (assault with a deadly weapon) that gun on your hip just brings the unwanted attention you are not prepared for or trained for and could get you killed. Remember you have no 960 (back-up)That is the reason LEO. come out successfully in these situations. WE always say be a better witness. I always sit and think of these situations and work them out in my head with what training I've had and hope luck is on my side that day. Now don't get me wrong I'm all for the 2nd amendment, why not focus on C.C.W. There is nothing like the element  of surprise, trust me!The victim or the victims family members are going to be all over you even if they where a scum bags remember in their eyes "My baby was a good boy" yea right! What about the bullet that goes off and kills the innocent civilian? Good luck on keeping anything you own.. and remember where the law abiding one we have stuff to lose.. I just think C.C.W's is better focused energy. In the Academy we see all the Video's you guy don't. Some thugs walk into the Liquor store and the guy over the counter takes a 40cal. right in the face. Now what makes you think you wouldn't have been his first round if he sees you as a potential threat. think about it concealed would have been a better choice. I know these are crazy situations but  that why you want to have a gun in the first place? Food for thought.

respectfully..

Thanks for coming here! Welcome.

I think Open Carry is useful for situations such as random crimes on the street. A mugger will not go for the man/woman with a gun on their hip when there's another potential victim without one.

Concealed carry is most useful in locations that concealed carry is a felony, such as banks, schools, basically the places most likely to attract those who are out to kill.

trl

imported post

This is true i wish their was not so many restrictions on carrying.One thing to consider is criminals love gun some people may fall victim to a attack from behind to get that gun, that would be unfortunately.I may be speaking from thing that go on i California with all the gangs here and the ruthless crimes that go on every day. Thanks for welcoming me to the site lets get people a better understanding of what we think and what we are asking for, i'll do my best..

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

trl wrote:
Remember you have no 960 (back-up)That is the reason LEO. come out successfully in these situations.
I don't need any 960 because I'm not engaging in behavior where I have to concern myself with criminals who commit a 148.

marine77

imported post

trl wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm one of those LEO's and I'm in California just some food for thought. I'm not really understanding this hole OCing i get what it means but why do it? I hear the argument it can be a deterrent and in some rare cases it may be. Remember how criminals think NOT like you or us the law abiding people. If someone goes into a store to commit a 211 (robbery) or a 245 (assault with a deadly weapon) that gun on your hip just brings the unwanted attention you are not prepared for or trained for and could get you killed. Remember you have no 960 (back-up)That is the reason LEO. come out successfully in these situations. WE always say be a better witness.I always sit and think of these situations and work them out in my head with what training I've had and hope luck is on my side that day. Now don't get me wrong I'm all for the 2nd amendment, why not focus on C.C.W. There is nothing like the element of surprise, trust me!The victim or the victims family members are going to be all over you even if they where a scum bags remember in their eyes "My baby was a good boy" yea right! What about the bullet that goes off and kills the innocent civilian? Good luck on keeping anything you own.. and remember where the law abiding one we have stuff to lose.. I just think C.C.W's is better focused energy. In the Academy we see all the Video's you guy don't. Some thugs walk into the Liquor store and the guy over the counter takes a 40cal. right in the face.
Now what makes you think you wouldn't have been his first round if he sees you asa potential threat.
think about it concealed would have been a better choice. I know these are crazy situations but that why you want to have a gun in the first place? Food for thought.

respectfully..

That would be my choice on defending myself.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

trl wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm one of those LEO's and I'm in California just some food for thought. I'm not really understanding this hole OCing i get what it means but why do it? I hear the argument it can be a deterrent and in some rare cases it may be. Remember how criminals think NOT like you or us the law abiding people. If someone goes into a store to commit a 211 (robbery) or a 245 (assault with a deadly weapon) that gun on your hip just brings the unwanted attention you are not prepared for or trained for and could get you killed. Remember you have no 960 (back-up)That is the reason LEO. come out successfully in these situations. WE always say be a better witness.I always sit and think of these situations and work them out in my head with what training I've had and hope luck is on my side that day. Now don't get me wrong I'm all for the 2nd amendment, why not focus on C.C.W. There is nothing like the element of surprise, trust me!The victim or the victims family members are going to be all over you even if they where a scum bags remember in their eyes "My baby was a good boy" yea right! What about the bullet that goes off and kills the innocent civilian? Good luck on keeping anything you own.. and remember where the law abiding one we have stuff to lose.. I just think C.C.W's is better focused energy. In the Academy we see all the Video's you guy don't. Some thugs walk into the Liquor store and the guy over the counter takes a 40cal. right in the face. Now what makes you think you wouldn't have been his first round if he sees you asa potential threat. think about it concealed would have been a better choice. I know these are crazy situations but that why you want to have a gun in the first place? Food for thought.

respectfully..

Welcome trl - LEO on my side - your arguments are the exact same as the anti's and that is a shame because you should have better information available to you than imagined things that might be, may be or could happen. Facts are what we prefer to deal with here.

There are many LEOs, and instructors here amongst the citizens who are exercising there God given right to self-defense and no where does the 2nd Amendment say that we can only do that if we carry concealed.

Bad Guys (BG) almost always carry concealed. They have a reason to hide their gun - I do not. Shouldn't people fear what they cannot see more than what they can see and is demonstratably not a threat? Are we less worthy than sworn officers?

To answer the few canned objections that you posed:

1) "deterrent and in some rare cases" - while we cannot say how many crimes were prevented by the sight of a defensive weapon, as a crime not committed leaves nothing to report. What we do know is that there are many anecdotal stories to that effect on this forum from very responsible people. I mean if it only saves one child!

2) "why not focus on C.C.W." Aaa, maybe because this is a forum dedicated to OC!
And we collectively are not new, inexperienced, untrained, irresponsible nor lacking in the ability to separate the chaff from the wheat - separate fact from fiction.

3) "could get you killed" A possibility crossing the street but let's relate to the supposed preemptive strike. A very old challenge of mine is a request for a specific cite where any OCing citizen (not LEO or security) was taken out by a bad guy in a preemptive action before the SHTF in any of the 50 states or D.C. BTW - were you to find one instance, you do understand that you will only make my case don't you? The resultant percentage of such would look a little like this - .0001% This type of thinking belongs in the annals of Urban Legends.

4) "What about the bullet that goes off and kills the innocent civilian?" Gee really good question. Only problem is that LEO shooters are much more likely to hit an innocent than are civilian defensive shootings - 8% versus 2%. Your homework is to research this and confirm or deny the findings.

5) "Good luck on keeping anything you own." Everything I own is not worth nearly as much as my life or the life of a loved one. I do agree however that Castle Doctrine laws and Stand Your Ground laws with civil suit protection are in order. Thank you for suggesting this.

6) "I'm all for the 2nd amendment" Then you cannot be selective or are you just all for some of it, part of the time? Take your time - it's a tough question and you will be tested.

If you truly do not have any troll blood flowing through your veins, stay here and read a lot more, contribute in a positive manner. Research your data and do not give us just your feelings nor repeat unsubstantiated allegations. Shoot straight - I do.

Yata hey

trl

imported post

Some of your comments are good but some of them are very uneducated you know who you are i understand it's a forum about outside carry smartass! Cop's may be more likely to have a stray bullet but thats whatwe do everyday for 12 and 14 hours. You do the math! And with all the shooting that happen how often does it happen NOT very!For the guy saying a 145 where you referring to the C.P.C 145.a i don't know how that fit into what i was saying. You don't need to obstruct just being their may put you in that place.. I want every one to understand I'm not against outside or CC. I'm just giving you a point of view that most of youmy nothave, hours and hours of training for situations some of you may not believe in (perfect)practice make perfect but let me tell you it does. When it come time to use deadly force and when not to panic. Taking a life form someone who was going to take your is not a issue people/LEO don't have a problem at all. Unlike most people think that they can no longer do their jobs wrong. Where the problem come in to play is when they feel they made the wrong choice thats when you lose sleep..simply going to the rang does not get you their.. Let me give you a example of something we did at firearms training. If i had a gun in my pocket with my hand in their and you with it on you hip i could tell you when I'm going to draw it and you would have two rounds to the body before you could get it out of your holster. My point is don't let it give you a false sense of security. it's hard to make everyone understand what goes on out their every day.. Some food for thought.. M.S-13 gang members are growing up and livinga perfect life not because they want to because the higher archies make them..The reason to get into Law enforcement Go figure people and guns are so much bigger then the average person realizes to let every personwear a gun can make for big problems. Let me say again I'm not against it but just saying for everyone just be able to do it is tricky.. I don't know the answer.I think if more of you where LEO's you might have a more cautious attitude. The "It's everybody's right" will never fly guy.. Some of you had attitude in your response to me not all but some. Remember I'm not against you but having smartass comments will get you guys no where...I don't know it all but please don't try and convince me you do...