• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i open carry!..........because im crazy???

Mjollnir

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Best initial advice anyone can give you is buy a good retentive holster, know the laws and be a reasonable and responsible person.

If you ever get to Va. let me know - we'll show you how normal OC can be.
Used to spend my summers north of Cook, Minnesota in that beautiful lake country.

Yata hey

Thanks for your response. I spend a week every summer with the guys camping, fishing, and target shooting in Cook County. By next summer I hope tohave created a more challenging course to train/practice with our firearms.It is truly God's country,and I remind myself of that when I put up with the Minnesota winters. (I know snow can shut down VA too, because that's exactly what happened to methe one timeI was in Richmond for business.) Thanks for the invite. Wow. Cool.

My first holster I bought for my brand new Glock 19is a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster. (Score!) I devouredM. Ayoob's book "Concealed Carry Digest..." and the self defense book I bought for my wife. Both books explore gun and holster choices. So I am doing my best not to be too ignorant before I finally get my permit. Should arrive from UT any day...

It's good to know that I can OC or CC. The Carry Course Instructor was definitely pro CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mjollnir wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Best initial advice anyone can give you is buy a good retentive holster, know the laws and be a reasonable and responsible person.

If you ever get to Va. let me know - we'll show you how normal OC can be.
Used to spend my summers north of Cook, Minnesota in that beautiful lake country.

Yata hey

Thanks for your response. I spend a week every summer with the guys camping, fishing, and target shooting in Cook County. By next summer I hope tohave created a more challenging course to train/practice with our firearms.It is truly God's country,and I remind myself of that when I put up with the Minnesota winters. (I know snow can shut down VA too, because that's exactly what happened to methe one timeI was in Richmond for business.) Thanks for the invite. Wow. Cool.

My first holster I bought for my brand new Glock 19is a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster. (Score!) I devouredM. Ayoob's book "Concealed Carry Digest..." and the self defense book I bought for my wife. Both books explore gun and holster choices. So I am doing my best not to be too ignorant before I finally get my permit. Should arrive from UT any day...

It's good to know that I can OC or CC. The Carry Course Instructor was definitely pro CC.
A camp on Lake Vermillion was my haunt back then. It was there that I was first introduced to shooting - JR NRA team. Lots of good memories. Would like to go back someday, but the camp seems to be long gone. I even wrote the local chamber of commerce, but got no reply.

Richmond doesn't know how to handle the white stuff. We just got 12" and it paralyzed the city. Left the roads open for me - I just stayed off the interstates.

Serpa is top notch - I have three now and wear one daily.

I like Mass a lot even though he is not pro OC.

Get any of Paxton Quigley's books. I recommend Armed and Female first.
She was an anti but had an definite change of heart. Bet you'll fight over who gets to read it after you start it. Its such a good read that I've actually read it three times now.
http://www.paxtonquigley.com/

Yata hey

Packer fan

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Mjollnir wrote:
I plan on carrying concealed even though I don't have to in Minnesota. First, tactically, I want the element of surprise.
Would you settle for the element of deterrence?

I want the element of surprise.
I hear that all the time in Arkansas. I think, IMHO, that is why we don't have to strong of a force to OC in Arkansas. I know, have talked to, and work with a number ofpeople who have their CCP here in Arkansas.They allsaythe samething. When taking my CC Class I stated the factthat Iwould liketo OC and the instructor said the same thing, but if you think about it logically OC would have more of a deterring effect. Much like locking your car doors. If a BG wants into your locked car in a parking lot they will break in, but most of the time the BG is looking for the unlocked doors.
Many have taken the premise that if you OC the criminal will take you out first. Then I hear intimidation and all the other straw man arguments that the lib's put out there. both CC and OC have advantages and disadvantages but the element of surprise sounds like one is inviting a criminal to attack soonecan say SURPRISE! I would rather say stay away, because I may not be able to open my shirt or coat or a good chance that my clothes may get tangled. CC or OC does not matter to me what you choose to do but ifa BG is scanning a crowed do you honestly think he will go after the person with the gun? If he does I doubt robbery is his motive. IMHO

Mjollnir

imported post

Now that I have had time to ponder the subject further, I guess I'll take theeasy way out and say that both OC and CChave their places.

I willOC in my element. I will have to be comfortable.

Upsettingstrangerswho are turned off by guns in their element makes me uncomfortable. Other than where it's illegal, of course, there are legal places I would never OC. For example, I would never OC in any downtown Metro area such as Minneapolis.A thumper told me straight out that if the brothers see a middle-aged white guy, alone,carrying a gun on his hip while walking down the sidewalk, they will not hesitate to out-number and take that MF'ers gun.Not only that, they willpermanently disfigure him for being so f'ing stupid.

"Hey, Dave. What happened to you? Why is your nose next to your ear? How longbefore you don't need the crutches?" Dave will tell his story. People will shake their heads while staring at their feet.

"Boy. Won't you feel bad if someone gets killed with your gun?"

Yes. I would. Plus, it and the holster cost me a lot of money.

Dave gets tired of telling his story and defending himself.Now hetells the curious it was a boating accident...

Deterrence is a great advantage. Too bad it isunquantifiable and therefore prevents the anti's from seeing the light.WhatI don'twant to deter is an honest interaction with a person. People aren't used to seeing normal citizens carrying guns where I come from. (Maybe they should, damnit!)I don't want to be wondering, "Is this person treating me differently because I have a gun? Does the gun make her nervous, or does she think it's cool? Did he give me a break, or did he instantly question my motives for showing off a deadly weapon? Does he think I'mafraid? What of?"

To hell with them, though, right? That's their problem. I'll just jump on my soap box and yell, "Second Amendment! Rah. Rah. Rah! I can't carry a cop, so I carry a gun."

But I still want an honest interaction with people. If Itreat people with respectand earn their respect, they will want to earn mine. If not, they are not the kind of person I need to befriend. There's something to be said for respect through fear and intimidation, but it's not my style.

There's a time for all of us to OC and a time to conceal. Most of the time, I'll be happy knowing that nobody knows. I can go about my business with self confidence and letfolks show their true character.
Grapeshot wrote:

No argument between OC and CC. The most important thing is to carry responsibly.

OC is tactically sound, educates the public, deters crime on person, is somewhat politically motivated. All newbies have a case of the jitters - everybody is looking at me type of thing. It will pass - find and meet up with others in your area and go to lunch or dinner together. Stay here and read of positive experiences of others.

We do have a few kooks here and there - you'll learn to ignore them - separate the wheat from the chaff.

As to tactically sound, we have a long standing challenge to the detractors of OC.

Show me one (1) documented, confirmed (W/cite) incident where an OCer (non-LEO or military) was ever preemptively taken out in modern times anywhere in these United States. No one has ever been able to do so.

Further, If ever one such gun grab and resulting injury/death ever does occur (it will likely someday) the resultant percentage ratio will look something like .00001%

In Chapter 16 of Massad Ayoob's book; "The Gun Digest: Book of Concealed Carry", the author discusses the two sides of a complicated issue.I laughed when I read your challenge to provide a documented case of a disarming. Ayoob wrote that this is a common arguement he has heard. He provides two in this chapter.

And, I'm sorry, but I gotta call you out on how you figured the probability of a gun grab resulting in such a good outcome for the victim. I figure the odds are pretty bad for the BG as I draw my backup weapon.

P.S. Go Vikings!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mjollnir wrote:
In Chapter 16 of Massad Ayoob's book; "The Gun Digest: Book of Concealed Carry", the author discusses the two sides of a complicated issue.I laughed when I read your challenge to provide a documented case of a disarming. Ayoob wrote that this is a common arguement he has heard. He provides two in this chapter.

And, I'm sorry, but I gotta call you out on how you figured the probability of a gun grab resulting in such a good outcome for the victim. I figure the odds are pretty bad for the BG as I draw my backup weapon.

P.S. Go Vikings!
Actually I screwed up in that I should have said 'preemptively taken out" not gun grab. :?

But nevertheless I'll accept the consequences of my mis-statement and up the resultant percentage to .00002% - maybe even a little more. :)

Mas reads well and I have a lot of respect for him. Don't always agree with him though.

Happy New Year everybody!

Yata hey

buster81

imported post

Mjollnir wrote:
For example, I would never OC in any downtown Metro area such as Minneapolis.A thumper told me straight out that if the brothers see a middle-aged white guy, alone,carrying a gun on his hip while walking down the sidewalk, they will not hesitate to out-number and take that MF'ers gun.Not only that, they willpermanently disfigure him for being so f'ing stupid.
Wow. It sounds like downtown Minneapolis is a place to be avoided regardless of how you carry. I'd be curious as to why they would try togang assaultand do permanent damage to a middle aged white guy with a gun, and let a middle aged white guy without a gun go about his business. These don't sound like the smartest criminals to me.

Packer fan

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Mjollnir wrote:
For example, I would never OC in any downtown Metro area such as Minneapolis.A thumper told me straight out that if the brothers see a middle-aged white guy, alone,carrying a gun on his hip while walking down the sidewalk, they will not hesitate to out-number and take that MF'ers gun.Not only that, they willpermanently disfigure him for being so f'ing stupid.
Wow. It sounds like downtown Minneapolis is a place to be avoided regardless of how you carry. I'd be curious as to why they would try togang assaultand do permanent damage to a middle aged white guy with a gun, and let a middle aged white guy without a gun go about his business. These don't sound like the smartest criminals to me.

I would like to know which one of them would be willing to take the bullet for the others? Don't they sell each other out just to escape jail?

I know if I see a number of people looking at me like a pack of wolves I'd have my hands in the ready.

You are right in a crowded place I would CC. Come to think of it I can only CC in Ar so mute point. lol

okboomer

imported post

Mjollnir wrote:
... there are legal places I would never OC. For example, I would never OC in any downtown Metro area such as Minneapolis.A thumper told me straight out that if the brothers see a middle-aged white guy, alone,carrying a gun on his hip while walking down the sidewalk, they will not hesitate to out-number and take that MF'ers gun.Not only that, they willpermanently disfigure him for being so f'ing stupid.
I was with you up to this point ... you are seriously saying that a criminal element is actually going to deter you from OC based on their stated intention to do violence to you for exercising your 2A rights?

I'm with PackerFan ... I would be asking them which one wants to go first to meet their surgeon/maker?

Remember what Senor Colt did? He created the 'equalizer.'

Also, remember the overriding codicil of the OC/CC, "you must be in fear for your life to employ deadly force." Young, fit gang-banger (antagonistically confronting)vs middle-aged white guy (minding his own business)= possibility of violence = employment of deadly force by middle-aged white guy. Gang-banger either learns lesson or gets to discuss it personally with his maker.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

simmonsjoe

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Mjollnir wrote:
... there are legal places I would never OC. For example, I would never OC in any downtown Metro area such as Minneapolis.A thumper told me straight out that if the brothers see a middle-aged white guy, alone,carrying a gun on his hip while walking down the sidewalk, they will not hesitate to out-number and take that MF'ers gun.Not only that, they willpermanently disfigure him for being so f'ing stupid.
I was with you up to this point ... you are seriously saying that a criminal element is actually going to deter you from OC based on their stated intention to do violence to you for exercising your 2A rights?

I'm with PackerFan ... I would be asking them which one wants to go first to meet their surgeon/maker?

Remember what Senor Colt did? He created the 'equalizer.'

Also, remember the overriding codicil of the OC/CC, "you must be in fear for your life to employ deadly force." Young, fit gang-banger (antagonistically confronting)vs middle-aged white guy (minding his own business)= possibility of violence = employment of deadly force by middle-aged white guy. Gang-banger either learns lesson or gets to discuss it personally with his maker.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
SSHHHHHHHH!! HankT might hear you.

okboomer

imported post

pssst, joe, empty hands do not constitute unarmed :cool:{looks left, looks right, fades back into the shadows}