• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Individual rights v. governent intervention

sudden valley gunner

"Maybe you should have read a post or two more."

Uh-oh. You haven't addressed my actual points! :D

Perhaps there were some real treasures in the middle, que lastima, but 4 pages or so is a reasonable initial investment for a Lounge topic.

If there's something especially profound, feel free to point me to it! Otherwise I will follow my own priorities in reading, and focus on the more recent posts.

I didn't realize we are supposed to repeat what has been covered because you didn't feel like reading. Your points have been addressed.

HP995

"I didn't realize we are supposed to repeat what has been covered because you didn't feel like reading. Your points have been addressed."

Ha ha. No worries; you don't need to repeat, and I don't feel like I missed very much.

But I'll give you some friendly and professional-grade advice. Ever hear of signal to noise? Or staying on message?

If you really believe in something, stick to the point, field questions gracefully and skillfully, and make every statement worthwhile for your potential audience.

I'm not going to wade back through endless pages of stuff like "You're obfuscating! No I'm not! Yes you are!" just to find out if there's any good information hidden somewhere in the pile. :D

And neither will most people. But if I see good quality and wisdom in what someone is saying now, yes, I will dig back and read through their older posts to find out more!

sudden valley gunner

"I didn't realize we are supposed to repeat what has been covered because you didn't feel like reading. Your points have been addressed."

Ha ha. No worries; you don't need to repeat, and I don't feel like I missed very much.

But I'll give you some friendly and professional-grade advice. Ever hear of signal to noise? Or staying on message?

If you really believe in something, stick to the point, field questions gracefully and skillfully, and make every statement worthwhile for your potential audience.

I'm not going to wade back through endless pages of stuff like "You're obfuscating! No I'm not! Yes you are!" just to find out if there's any good information hidden somewhere in the pile. :D

And neither will most people. But if I see good quality and wisdom in what someone is saying now, yes, I will dig back and read through their older posts to find out more!

Great advice.

We mostly try, also can realize that for those of us who stayed on message sometimes just get tired of saying the same thing we just said 50 times.

twoskinsonemanns

Hey SVG. I also am too lazy to read this thread. Please read it for me, then present a concise summary including all pertinent arguments (bullet point form preferably) in 300 words or less.
And can you have done by this afternoon? Greeeeaaaat.
Buh-bye.

PistolPackingMomma

Hey SVG. I also am too lazy to read this thread. Please read it for me, then present a concise summary including all pertinent arguments (bullet point form preferably) in 300 words or less.
And can you have done by this afternoon? Greeeeaaaat.
Buh-bye.

Lmao. Shots fired.

tumblr_n2wn4bHFoE1soz9yao1_250.gif

I mean, can you imagine? Having to READ?

morphin-time.gif

Someone get me a soft pillow and a glass of water...

7x19-bobby-singer-30553686-245-245.gif

Last edited:

HP995

Those are hilarious clips! :banana:

I can take a joke. Good point!

But still poorly aimed and inaccurate in this case.

It's not that I'm lazy to read. Feel free to imagine that if it makes you feel better. And it is funny. :)

But it's not true. I read 4 pages (of a Lounge thread) before venturing to comment. The last two pages were mostly bickering about "obfuscation" and "not addressing actual points" without much substance.

After a reasonable investment to determine the quality, I make my own decision to read things that look worthwhile.

In this case I determined it was low ROI and spent my time reading other threads. My time, I choose what to pursue.

If people are not willing to write a good argument, I'm not willing to waste time digging further just in case there may or may not be something better further inside.

That's how the world works. And I respect SVG for taking my advice in the friendly way it was given. I wish him all the best in politics.

Good animations! Ha ha.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I'm sorry that I didn't specify.

I have spent the better part of twenty pages referring to conflict that does NOT have a middle ground, which happens ALL THE TIME in our nation.

I do agree with you as far as conflicts that can be mediated.

See, the problem I have with this is that I remember, some posts back, I reiterated that conflict which arises from a prior act of aggression does not necessarily prohibit coercive restitution/resolution. And then, because I was having a hard time even imagining the sort of conflict which does not arise from a prior act of aggression, and yet which does require coercive force to resolve, I asked if you could provide an example so that we might work out how it could be resolved voluntarily, or whether it indeed meets your stipulations.

So far, I'm still waiting. So, with all due respect, the above seems to me like so much bare assertion at this point.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

See, the problem I have with this is that I remember, some posts back, I reiterated that conflict which arises from a prior act of aggression does not necessarily prohibit coercive restitution/resolution. And then, because I was having a hard time even imagining the sort of conflict which does not arise from a prior act of aggression, and yet which does require coercive force to resolve, I asked if you could provide an example so that we might work out how it could be resolved voluntarily, or whether it indeed meets your stipulations.

So far, I'm still waiting. So, with all due respect, the above seems to me like so much bare assertion at this point.
Abortion. Go.

J_dazzle23

It's not that I'm lazy to read. Feel free to imagine that if it makes you feel better. And it is funny. :)

But it's not true. I read 4 pages (of a Lounge thread) before venturing to comment. The last two pages were mostly bickering about "obfuscation" and "not addressing actual points" without much substance.

After a reasonable investment to determine the quality, I make my own decision to read things that look worthwhile.

In this case I determined it was low ROI and spent my time reading other threads. My time, I choose what to pursue.

If people are not willing to write a good argument, I'm not willing to waste time digging further just in case there may or may not be something better further inside.

That's how the world works. And I respect SVG for taking my advice in the friendly way it was given. I wish him all the best in politics.

Good animations! Ha ha.
Here are some basic cliffs for you.

-op hates government enforcing people doing anything they don't specifically agree to
-op likes idea of anarchy
-several posters bring up technicalities that they feel should be solved for anarchy to "work"
-technicalities are essentially disregarded on the basis that our lives are so bad currently that the ideal must be adopted before it matters to work out the details.
-now beating dead horse.

This is obviously not an inclusive list, but the gist I got is if we are really concerned with the "how", then don't bother discussing here, instead look through the book references provided in this thread and learn that way.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Abortion. Go.

This is a poor example. In fact, any apparent conflict at all derives precisely from the existing notion that it's acceptable to use coercion absent a prior act of aggression. But is there genuine, pre-existing conflict between those who would have abortions, and those who oppose the practice? Are the latter group in danger of being aborted, or having their children aborted against their will? Are they even offering to adopt these unwanted fetuses, thus plausibly having standing to claim conflict? Or are they, already and without provocation, attempting to coerce others?

In my analysis, rights do not overlap - one right begins where another's right ends. Since a mother obviously has a pre-existing right to life and bodily self-determination, it necessarily follows that a fetus develops no right to life until one (or both) of the following conditions are met:

1. Its living is no longer dependent upon (thus in definitionally impermissible overlap with) its mother's pre-existing right of bodily self-determination. That is to say, it is viable under the current state of medical technology).

or

2. Its mother decides to keep it, thereby obviating that potential (but impermissible) overlap of rights.

Under this analysis, there is no prior conflict, or act of aggression. There is only one group attempting to impose upon another, and the non-coercive solution to this is for that group to simply stop being aggressive.

I might add that I am convinced this is the correct analysis, and although I've heard folks explicitly reject it, I have yet to encounter a person willing or able to convincingly rebut it.

The alternate analysis is that abortion is (or would be) a prior act of aggression, so it is not initiatory coercive force to prohibit/stop it.

Under neither analysis does abortion per se meet your stipulations. Now, it might be said that, although abortion itself does not, the political disagreement surrounding the issue of abortion does. To this I would merely respond that, when there is such widespread disagreement in society, such a belief cannot assume the mantle of moral tenet and is unworthy of enshrinement in law. And, until such agreement is found, it is a prior act of aggression to impose one minority view upon another.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Good animations! Ha ha.

I'm glad you found it funny; I was trying to be humorous, but I'm sick in bed right now, so I may have come off like an *******. 26 pages is a lot to wade through, but if you want the crux of the matter, it is best to dig for yourself. There's a lovely game of "telephone" we used to play as kids, and I'm sure we've all played a variant of it, and remember how butchered things can get.

I'll give you this though; the best meat of the argument is usually after the first two pages and ends before the last two.

This is a poor example. In fact, any apparent conflict at all derives precisely from the existing notion that it's acceptable to use coercion absent a prior act of aggression. But is there genuine, pre-existing conflict between those who would have abortions, and those who oppose the practice? Are the latter group in danger of being aborted, or having their children aborted against their will? Are they even offering to adopt these unwanted fetuses, thus plausibly having standing to claim conflict? Or are they, already and without provocation, attempting to coerce others?

In my analysis, rights do not overlap - one right begins where another's right ends. Since a mother obviously has a pre-existing right to life and bodily self-determination, it necessarily follows that a fetus develops no right to life until one (or both) of the following conditions are met:

1. Its living is no longer dependent upon (thus in definitionally impermissible overlap with) its mother's pre-existing right of bodily self-determination. That is to say, it is viable under the current state of medical technology).

or

2. Its mother decides to keep it, thereby obviating that potential (but impermissible) overlap of rights.

Under this analysis, there is no prior conflict, or act of aggression. There is only one group attempting to impose upon another, and the non-coercive solution to this is for that group to simply stop being aggressive.

I might add that I am convinced this is the correct analysis, and although I've heard folks explicitly reject it, I have yet to encounter a person willing or able to convincingly rebut it.

The alternate analysis is that abortion is (or would be) a prior act of aggression, so it is not initiatory coercive force to prohibit/stop it.

Under neither analysis does abortion per se meet your stipulations. Now, it might be said that, although abortion itself does not, the political disagreement surrounding the issue of abortion does. To this I would merely respond that, when there is such widespread disagreement in society, such a belief cannot assume the mantle of moral tenet and is unworthy of enshrinement in law. And, until such agreement is found, it is a prior act of aggression to impose one minority view upon another.

Excellently stated. I was going to say the same thing, but yours is so eloquent that I would be gilding the lily.

(And for the record, Jdazzle, I was raised as a religious, deeply pro-life person. I still am against abortion, but what that means to me now is that I'll choose never to get one, not me inflicting my beliefs/views/philosophies/fortune cookies on others who think differently. One CAN be against something without aggressing that belief on others.

I'll even go so far as to offer a solution for you. Instead of FORCING these women to stop having abortions, I would try to sit down with them to discuss it, and see how much they understand about what they're about to do, and if they are making the decision emotionally or rationally. A lot of women end up not going through with the procedure, so talking and educating is a viable solution to those who are willing to listen. It's not a flawless, 100% success solution, but surely we can all agree it's better than using coat hangers in a dirty basement.)

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

or

You have made some good points, but you have made a personal viewpoint on when life begins and an infant or fetus has rights. But this is not universally agree upon where this right ends and begins.

A good example is the man just convicted of manslaughter for hitting a pregnant woman in her car and causing late term miscarriage. (Colorado I believe)

I see abortion as a cut and dry case for exactly what we are talking about.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

I'm glad you found it funny; I was trying to be humorous, but I'm sick in bed right now, so I may have come off like an *******. 26 pages is a lot to wade through, but if you want the crux of the matter, it is best to dig for yourself. There's a lovely game of "telephone" we used to play as kids, and I'm sure we've all played a variant of it, and remember how butchered things can get.

I'll give you this though; the best meat of the argument is usually after the first two pages and ends before the last two.

Excellently stated. I was going to say the same thing, but yours is so eloquent that I would be gilding the lily.

(And for the record, Jdazzle, I was raised as a religious, deeply pro-life person. I still am against abortion, but what that means to me now is that I'll choose never to get one, not me inflicting my beliefs/views/philosophies/fortune cookies on others who think differently. One CAN be against something without aggressing that belief on others.

I'll even go so far as to offer a solution for you. Instead of FORCING these women to stop having abortions, I would try to sit down with them to discuss it, and see how much they understand about what they're about to do, and if they are making the decision emotionally or rationally. A lot of women end up not going through with the procedure, so talking and educating is a viable solution to those who are willing to listen. It's not a flawless, 100% success solution, but surely we can all agree it's better than using coat hangers in a dirty basement.)
Good thoughts, but sitting down and hoping to convince mothers through remediation isn't an option for those in this country (and there are many, medical industry included) that consider abortion in most cases to be murder.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You have made some good points, but you have made a personal viewpoint on when life begins and an infant or fetus has rights. But this is not universally agree upon where this right ends and begins.

A good example is the man just convicted of manslaughter for hitting a pregnant woman in her car and causing late term miscarriage. (Colorado I believe)

I see abortion as a cut and dry case for exactly what we are talking about.

Again with all due respect, I get the impression you didn't carefully consider (or at least don't grok) my argument.

My analysis is unconcerned with when "life" begins (what even is "life"?). It instead focuses on the much more approachable issue of when rights develop (it might be argued that a spermatozoa is "living", but it will never be argued that it possesses a right to, say, engage in contracts).

As my analysis explicitly and clearly allows for, a fetus develops a right to life, if it has not already done so, when its mother decides to keep it (for there is no longer "potential but definitionally impermissible overlap" between the mother's and the fetus's rights). As such, not only was the killing of this fetus manslaughter, it would be murder to abort a fetus without the mother's express demand. (See how different that is from "fetuses are not alive"?)

Good thoughts, but sitting down and hoping to convince mothers through remediation isn't an option for those in this country (and there are many, medical industry included) that consider abortion in most cases to be murder.

And driving the activity to alleys using coathangers is an effective means of securing what rights, exactly?

Abortion is simply not the same as murder as a matter of legal practicality. An adult (or even born) human has a record of his existence. Third parties can represent his or her estate in the event of murder.

This is simply not the case for abortion. There is no record of a pregnancy (nor will there ever be, unless we record every act of sex). The only person positioned to speak on behalf of an aborted fetus is the mother, and if the mother is herself responsible for that abortion, then she will never speak on its behalf.

So, the "righteous" quest to prohibit the "murder" of "unborn children" is, in fact, far closer to an act of prohibition which will have no effect but to drive the prohibited activity underground.

Whatever your stance on the rights of the unborn, I see no avenue for abortion opponents to establish for themselves the right to create a black market, which is the most they could ever hope to accomplish.

Imposing upon women out of your desperate need to create another black market really has no justification. And that's true even if I accept that "an unborn fetus ipso facto has a right to life".

So, while abortion opponents may wish to categorize themselves amongst aggressors, louts, and others for whom "remediation isn't an option", it is absolutely their only moral (not to mention practical) recourse.

In short, your example provides nothing more than another instance of unjustified imposition which would be more effectively (and more morally) handled, were the involved parties to get over the puerile notion that feelings are sufficient to justify coercion, stop trying to use the state to one-up each other, and try to work things out in a voluntary fashion.

Who knows, such an approach might even see fewer abortions and more adoptions. But, who wants that when we can all feel righteous using the state to impose on folks we don't like?

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

marshaul...
"Since a mother obviously has a pre-existing right to life and bodily self-determination, it necessarily follows that a fetus develops no right to life until one (or both) of the following conditions are met:

or

2. Its mother decides to keep it, thereby obviating that potential (but impermissible) overlap of rights."

I do not think that "necessarily" follows. I really do not understand where you're drawing your line there as to when the fetus "develops" its right to life (current medical definition of "viable," really?), why you decide to draw the line there, or how you believe it "necessarily" follows your premise.

I don't understand what you mean by the fetus' life being dependent on the mother's right to bodily self-determination. Could you please elaborate on this? Do you mean that the fetus' life is dependent on the mother declining to exercise her right to bodily self-determination in any manner which would effect the baby's "viability"?

I don't understand what you mean by the mother's decision to keep the baby obviating that potential (but impermissible) overlap of rights. Your premises states that there is no potential overlap of rights, since rights cannot overlap, and therefore it would not be impermissible, but it would be impossible. Moreover, I don't think that deciding to keep the baby necessarily resolves the underlying issue. If the mother "decides to keep it", do you think that she in essence, at that moment, forfeits her right and by that act the baby's right to life is suddenly possible (since there's no longer a pre-existing and conflicting right of the mother), and is also automatically endowed at that moment in time? Would the mother then, from that point in time forward, be unable to change her mind, since now the baby's right to life has been established?

Honestly, I would propose that "maternity" could in fact be one of the few, if not the only legitimate instances of so-called "positive" rights - a right of the child, which rightfully compels the parent, and establishes certain obligations on them.

Now, perhaps this should be broken off at this point into a separate thread, if any significant amount of discussion on the topic is to be had.

"To this I would merely respond that, when there is such widespread disagreement in society, such a belief cannot assume the mantle of moral tenet and is unworthy of enshrinement in law. And, until such agreement is found, it is a prior act of aggression to impose one minority view upon another."
Uhh, no, I don't think so... Whether or not interference to the act of abortion is justified is hardly determined by majority agreement. You might as well have just said "democracy" here. Nor would interference, if it is ever justified, be only justified after the discovery of the justification by at least a certain percentage of persons, as you seem to be suggesting here. So, 1. the morality of the issue is not determined by majority agreement and 2. acting morally in regards to abortion or opposition thereto is not subject to majority discovery of the moral tenet.

J_dazzle23

Again with all due respect, I get the impression you didn't carefully consider (or at least don't grok) my argument.

My analysis is unconcerned with when "life" begins (what even is "life"?). It instead focuses on the much more approachable issue of when rights develop (it might be argued that a spermatozoa is "living", but it will never be argued that it possesses a right to, say, engage in contracts).

As my analysis explicitly and clearly allows for, a fetus develops a right to life, if it has not already done so, when its mother decides to keep it (for there is no longer "potential but definitionally impermissible overlap" between the mother's and the fetus's rights). As such, not only was the killing of this fetus manslaughter, it would be murder to abort a fetus without the mother's express demand. (See how different that is from "fetuses are not alive"?)

And driving the activity to alleys using coathangers is an effective means of securing what rights, exactly?

Abortion is simply not the same as murder as a matter of legal practicality. An adult (or even born) human has a record of his existence. Third parties can represent his or her estate in the event of murder.

This is simply not the case for abortion. There is no record of a pregnancy (nor will there ever be, unless we record every act of sex). The only person positioned to speak on behalf of an aborted fetus is the mother, and if the mother is herself responsible for that abortion, then she will never speak on its behalf.

So, the "righteous" quest to prohibit the "murder" of "unborn children" is, in fact, far closer to an act of prohibition which will have no effect but to drive the prohibited activity underground.

Whatever your stance on the rights of the unborn, I see no avenue for abortion opponents to establish for themselves the right to create a black market, which is the most they could ever hope to accomplish.

Imposing upon women out of your desperate need to create another black market really has no justification. And that's true even if I accept that "an unborn fetus ipso facto has a right to life".

So, while abortion opponents may wish to categorize themselves amongst louts and others for whom "remediation isn't an option, it is absolutely their only moral (not to mention practical) recourse.

In short, your example provides nothing more than another instance of unjustified imposition which would be more effectively (and more morally) handled, were the involved parties to get over the puerile notion that feelings are sufficient to justify coercion, stop trying to use the state to one-up each other, and try to work things out in a voluntary fashion.

Who knows, such an approach might even see fewer abortions and more adoptions. But, who wants that when we can all feel righteous using the state to impose on folks we don't like?
Are you suggesting that those that consider a fetus having right to life are doing so to create an underground? It certainly seems so.

Anyone under 18 cannot legally sign a contract. That doesn't mean they do not have a right to life.

The mother doesn't get to decide what a life is and isnt, according to many. And the idea that the mother doesn't have control of her own body is somewhat fallacious.....in most cases, unwanted pregnancy is a result of negligence....at least according to many.

I can agree with some of your idealistic reasoning, but we are talking about people here, not ideals. And in this country, there are likely 200 of the 300 million people here very polarized on this issue. There are over 100 million I'm sure that DO consider this murder. Additionally, we are throwing out current system in this topic, so there CAN NOT be legal precedent here as far as I can see.

What if the father wants the baby? He has a biological claim to give the baby a right to live- maybe not so much as the mother, but I would argue this is still there.

Understand- I'm not arguing whether abortion is moral, or the ideology of your arguement. I'm simply pointing out that no matter how black and white in one direction that you want to make it here in this thread, there are millions and millions of EXTREMELY set minds on this issue, that DO see it differently that you do, on a fundamental moral basis. It does not matter that your rational leads to your conclusion, because those same freedom loving people have rational that may lead them elsewhere. And because of this, we have already seen conflict that cannot be mediated simply by talking it out. There will have to be force(and copius amounts of it, possibly) to settle that.

I did read your post, and re-read it to make sure I understood. You and I may disagree on small details, but we are all here supporting rkba, and I try as good as I can, agreed or not, to give posters respect and read thoroughly what they have to say. I apologize if I missed something there.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
marshaul...
"Since a mother obviously has a pre-existing right to life and bodily self-determination, it necessarily follows that a fetus develops no right to life until one (or both) of the following conditions are met:

or

2. Its mother decides to keep it, thereby obviating that potential (but impermissible) overlap of rights."

I do not think that "necessarily" follows. I really do not understand where you're drawing your line there as to when the fetus "develops" its right to life (current medical definition of "viable," really?), why you decide to draw the line there, or how you believe it "necessarily" follows your premise.

The line ends up there as a purely practical matter. If a mother has a right to bodily self-determination, and if rights do not overlap, then the fetus can have no right to life until such is no longer dependent upon its mother's bodily self-determination. Otherwise, there would be overlap.

Obviously, this lack of dependency becomes true at birth, if never else. But it might be true at other times. If medical technology is able to keep a fetus alive, and someone wishes to pay for that medical care, then the fetus's life is no longer dependent upon his mother, and her bodily self-determination is no longer relevant to determining the status of the fetus's right to life.

I don't understand what you mean by the fetus' life being dependent on the mother's right to bodily self-determination. Could you please elaborate on this? Do you mean that the fetus' life is dependent on the mother declining to exercise her right to bodily self-determination in any manner which would effect the baby's "viability"?

It's a simple syllogism. If rights cannot overlap, and if a mother has a right to bodily self-determination, then a fetus cannot have a right to life which would overlap with its mother's right of bodily self-determination. It follows, then, that such right develops at the time when this potential overlap no longer exists.

I don't understand what you mean by the mother's decision to keep the baby obviating that potential (but impermissible) overlap of rights. Your premises states that there is no potential overlap of rights, since rights cannot overlap, and therefore it would not be impermissible, but it would be impossible.

Impossible, "definitionally impermissible": the difference is slight. I initially considered using "impossible", but I decided the construction I used was semantically more precise.

Moreover, I don't think that deciding to keep the baby necessarily resolves the underlying issue. If the mother "decides to keep it", do you think that she in essence, at that moment, forfeits her right and by that act the baby's right to life is suddenly possible (since there's no longer a pre-existing and conflicting right of the mother), and is also automatically endowed at that moment in time? Would the mother then, from that point in time forward, be unable to change her mind, since now the baby's right to life has been established?

I've thought through all this before, but I concluded it doesn't really matter from the perspective of law. If the sole factor deciding whether a fetus has a right to life is the mother's will, then we essentially have to take her word for it. If the mother decides to have an abortion, and the fetus is dependent upon her body for survival, then it follows the fetus can have had no right to life up to the point that decision was made.

On the other hand, if a person kills a fetus, and the mother asserts she intended to keep it (and, in fact, had no abortion), then how are we to disprove such a claim?

Basically, we should assume a right to life on the part of a fetus, unless the mother gives us reason to question that assumption.

From a strictly and omnisciently moral perspective, we could say that the mother hasn't really "decided" to a finality until such a time as the fetus reaches viability, or the fetus is killed (at which point, we can assume she had decided in its favor, unless she asserts otherwise).

Honestly, I would propose that "maternity" could in fact be one of the few, if not the only legitimate instances of so-called "positive" rights - a right of the child, which rightfully compels the parent, and establishes certain obligations on them.

That's an attractive notion. But I'm afraid it isn't universal or consistently applicable enough. What about children whose parents are dead? What of their positive right? What of children whose parents are insane, or incarcerated, or comatose, or...? What if the mother was a victim of rape? What about every child put up for adoption? Upon whose obligations-by-right may they depend?

"To this I would merely respond that, when there is such widespread disagreement in society, such a belief cannot assume the mantle of moral tenet and is unworthy of enshrinement in law. And, until such agreement is found, it is a prior act of aggression to impose one minority view upon another."
Uhh, no, I don't think so... Whether or not interference to the act of abortion is justified is hardly determined by majority agreement. You might as well have just said "democracy" here. Nor would interference, if it is ever justified, be only justified after the discovery of the justification by at least a certain percentage of persons, as you seem to be suggesting here. So, 1. the morality of the issue is not determined by majority agreement and 2. acting morally in regards to abortion or opposition thereto is not subject to majority discovery of the moral tenet.

I suspect you think I'm bound to agree with you here, due to my espoused preference for anarchism. But I do not.

I indeed oppose the legislative enactment, through majority rule (or otherwise), of impositions upon right. I do not, however, oppose the existence of justice by jury and the common law.

Although you may believe the common law to be a gift from god, I recognize it as nothing more than the standards established by universally-shared moral tenets. Murder is abhorrent under the common law because we all agree that it is, not because God, a king, or a democratic government declared it so.

I am not aware of a society which does not in some fashion subject its members to judgment of the whole. I do not oppose this universality, but rather the precise procedure by which it occurs under the modern state.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Are you suggesting that those that consider a fetus having right to life are doing so to create an underground? It certainly seems so.

You don't like reading, do you? I explained explicitly that this is a practical effect, not of the view that a fetus has a right to life, but of attempts to legislatively prohibit abortion. I explained how this practical effect is inevitable (unlike as with murder of born humans).

The point was, in simple English: "you say you wish to prohibit murder, and who could oppose that? But in fact, what you propose is to create a black market for an activity you have no means to actually prevent (or even obtain recompense for the "victims" of), and that (the creation of a black market while failing to prevent or even mitigate the actual behavior in question) is not something you can claim a righteous mandate to accomplish."

Or maybe nuance is beyond you.

Anyone under 18 cannot legally sign a contract. That doesn't mean they do not have a right to life.

I'm sorry, but I'm certain you're fully aware I didn't suggest, nor do I think that, a right to life is dependent upon a right to contract. Since you're aware of this, you're making this intentional straw man out of bad faith. In addition to putting to lie all your claims of being interested in genuine discussion, you've lost my willingness to engage you in discussion.

That line was a reductio ad absurdum which I was hoping would convey why I think analysis based on the definition of "life" is doomed to failure and disagreement, since "life" can mean so many things. But "rights" are somewhat less vague.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

You don't like reading, do you? I explained explicitly that this is a practical effect, not of the view that a fetus has a right to life, but of attempts to legislatively prohibit abortion. I explained how this practical effect is inevitable (unlike as with murder of born humans).

The point was, in simple English: "you say you wish to prohibit murder, and who could oppose that? But in fact, what you propose is to create a black market for an activity you have no means to actually prevent (or even obtain recompense for the "victims" of), and that (the creation of a black market while failing to prevent or even mitigate the actual behavior in question) is not something you can claim a righteous mandate to accomplish."

Or maybe nuance is beyond you.

I'm sorry, but I'm certain you're fully aware I didn't suggest, nor do I think that, a right to life is dependent upon a right to contract. Since you're aware of this, you're making this intentional straw man out of bad faith. In addition to putting to lie all your claims of being interested in genuine discussion, you've lost my willingness to engage you in discussion.

That line was a reductio ad absurdum which I was hoping would convey why I think analysis based on the definition of "life" is doomed to failure and disagreement, since "life" can mean so many things. But "rights" are somewhat less vague.

I used it as an example, not a strawman. But if the shoe fits....

I understand that it may CREATE a blackmarket....but guess what- right now there is a blackmarket for kidneys. That doesn't mean we should make it legal to steal them from others. Many people view victims of something like that no different than they view an aborted baby as a victim.

I quite expressly explained I did read and re-read your post. But nice attempt to marginalize my position.

And then you conveniently did not address the meat of my comment, instead attempting to box me into disingenuous intent.

If you walk around with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I provided an example that in REAL LIFE cannot be mediated between a classroom of adults, much less an entire nation in an anarchistic society without large scale use of force based on very different views on what constitutes life, and violation of right to life, and you throw ideology at me. Yes, life is more vague than "right", but in this case they are inseperably connected. The ideology sounds great, but...

I thought we were talking practicality. My mistake.

Last edited: