• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

INFOWARS and the growing POLICE STATE!

the wheeelman

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Uh.....what the heck does this have to do with OC? :uhoh:

General Discussion
Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else. Topics should still be related to the focus of the forum and all other rules of behavior still apply here.

Infowars covers news about gun laws and initiative, it veered though when some of the douche bags on here decided to discredit Alex Jones and infowars but you can't discredit a source by bashing them and saying they're a kook. They provided no evidence discrediting just name calling.

Also, I never said you had to be down with all of the topics covered but the site does cover relative topics.

EDIT ADDITION* - Every new bill be introduced to the house on gun control I heard about through this source and heard about it nearly on demand or the days/week it was introduced.

wrightme

imported post

the wheeelman wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

General Discussion
Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else. Topics should still be related to the focus of the forum and all other rules of behavior still apply here.

Infowars covers news about gun laws and initiative, it veered though when some of the douche bags on here decided to discredit Alex Jones and infowars but you can't discredit a source by bashing them and saying they're a kook. They provided no evidence discrediting just name calling.

Also, I never said you had to be down with all of the topics covered but the site does cover relative topics.

EDIT ADDITION* - Every new bill be introduced to the house on gun control I heard about through this source and heard about it nearly on demand or the days/week it was introduced.

I get information on every new bill the day it gets in the LoC Thomas search.

Then I get tracking widgets for a website from govtrack.us. Bypass the whack-job sites, go direct to the source.

redlegagent

imported post

There is a general tendency for threads concerning controversial topics such as gun control and politics to take on a life of their own. While the progun community desires to be an "open tent" so to speak and welcome support from across the spectrum, it also must take care from where that support comes from.

While Alex Jones and his web site profess support of the second admendment and track legislation to that fact, it does not necessarily make it a "legitimate" source. I am fairly confident that similar support could be found in organizations such as the KKK and Aryan Nation. That is not to say that he represents the same extremism as those groups but merely points out that we must be careful whom we embrace to support our legislative stance.

I have seen references multiple times to the Libertarian Party, supportive web sites, and candidates in this forum. This is not to say that it is an extremist group but, while it is in fact a registered political party, it is perhaps at best around 200,000 membersor 0.002% of the registered electorate in this country. Yes, they support gun rights, but will they ever have any credibility in influencing gun legislation or the political process??

Perhaps the rules should be amended to help weed out any further "infomercials" and we should focus on "accredited" gun groups who do influencethe legislative process and attempt to refrain from political discourse that distracts us from the ongoing attempts to take our gunrights away and keep our eyes focused on realistic responses to the latter. I just don't think having goofs standing out there yelling out that they should be allowed to have rocket launchers and machineguns furthers our credibility in the eyes of the general public - which is where we need to focus our efforts. If they lose faith in our ability to responsibly own weapons, you'll see a ground swell arise to take them away once and for all. :)

the wheeelman

imported post

wrightme wrote:
the wheeelman wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

General Discussion

I get information on every new bill the day it gets in the LoC Thomas search.

Then I get tracking widgets for a website from govtrack.us. Bypass the whack-job sites, go direct to the source.

There you go again with the name calling (credibility decreasing) anyway, Good for you, I'm glad you have a source that works for you, and rather than bash your source I will actually look into it! Infowars and Alex works for me.

As for you guys wanting to close the thread, one question...how can you all be strong proponents for the 2nd ammendment but opposers of the First ammendment. I believe this thread is well within the guidelines of the rules. Instead of being haters why do you post alternate sources for information. Sounds like you all only subscribe to your own opinions and views and no one elses which is clear by wanting to shut down the thread. Way to go, you've showed you true agenda.

the wheeelman

imported post

redlegagent wrote:
There is a general tendency for threads concerning controversial topics such as gun control and politics to take on a life of their own. While the progun community desires to be an "open tent" so to speak and welcome support from across the spectrum, it also must take care from where that support comes from.

While Alex Jones and his web site profess support of the second admendment and track legislation to that fact, it does not necessarily make it a "legitimate" source. I am fairly confident that similar support could be found in organizations such as the KKK and Aryan Nation. That is not to say that he represents the same extremism as those groups but merely points out that we must be careful whom we embrace to support our legislative stance.

I have seen references multiple times to the Libertarian Party, supportive web sites, and candidates in this forum. This is not to say that it is an extremist group but, while it is in fact a registered political party, it is perhaps at best around 200,000 membersor 0.002% of the registered electorate in this country. Yes, they support gun rights, but will they ever have any credibility in influencing gun legislation or the political process??

Perhaps the rules should be amended to help weed out any further "infomercials" and we should focus on "accredited" gun groups who do influencethe legislative process and attempt to refrain from political discourse that distracts us from the ongoing attempts to take our gunrights away and keep our eyes focused on realistic responses to the latter. I just don't think having goofs standing out there yelling out that they should be allowed to have rocket launchers and machineguns furthers our credibility in the eyes of the general public - which is where we need to focus our efforts. If they lose faith in our ability to responsibly own weapons, you'll see a ground swell arise to take them away once and for all. :)

I agree with you absolutely on most of what you are saying. But it also sounds like you are saying this is not an open forum, and that we can only post topics and info to which only the majority of the members subscribe to. In that case, I would be glad to stop participating in discussion here as you or anyone else here would offer no new knowelegde for me to gain.

Kind Regards To All Of You,

Randal

compmanio365

imported post

I think that what is being said is that this forum has a narrower focus than most, and even in the General Discussion forum, the topics being discussed should relate in some way to Open Carry and gun rights. If a topic has nothing to do with that, it shouldn't be on this forum. That is not necessarily how I feel, but it is how the owners of this site have asked the members to conduct themselves. And since it is their site, we need to respect their wishes.

It's also considered a rule here to cite your sources for claims you make, and obviously, the more outrageous your claim, the better the source needs to be. That is probably the rule that is broken the most here, and we try to rise above the disinformation and rumor that fills many forums by showing that we have some kind of proof of the claims we are making. If you can't show evidence that what you are saying is true, than maybe it's not worth posting.

the wheeelman

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I think that what is being said is that this forum has a narrower focus than most, and even in the General Discussion forum, the topics being discussed should relate in some way to Open Carry and gun rights. If a topic has nothing to do with that, it shouldn't be on this forum. That is not necessarily how I feel, but it is how the owners of this site have asked the members to conduct themselves. And since it is their site, we need to respect their wishes.

It's also considered a rule here to cite your sources for claims you make, and obviously, the more outrageous your claim, the better the source needs to be. That is probably the rule that is broken the most here, and we try to rise above the disinformation and rumor that fills many forums by showing that we have some kind of proof of the claims we are making. If you can't show evidence that what you are saying is true, than maybe it's not worth posting.
Your exacly right...and in this circumstance no claim was being made therefore no proof or cite required. It turned into a pissing match and name calling and bashing of the source I was merely passing along to folks who HAVE NOT heard of Alex Jones and Info Wars.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Alex Jones is full of crap. His conspiracy theories are incredibly ridiculous. George Bush orchestrated 9/11!!! George Bush had prior knowledge of 9/11!!! A missile hit the Pentagon!!!! TWA Flight 800 was brought down by a missile!!!! The moon landing was a hoax!!!! The World Trade Center was brought down by explosives!!!

And on, and on, and on...

Histheories are absolutely laughable. But it's worse than that… he's taking advantage of ignorant, naïve, and irrational people for his own gain. He knows what buttons to press to make people feel paranoid.

I have some buddies who are fans of Alex Jones. It's like being a member of a religious cult. They automatically believe all the crap spewed from his mouth. They are incapable of critical thinking.

mkl

imported post

I have some buddies who aren't fans of Alex Jones. It's like being a member of a religious cult. They automatically refuse to believe all the stuff coming from his mouth. They are incapable of critical thinking.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

mkl wrote:
I have some buddies who aren't fans of Alex Jones. It's like being a member of a religious cult. They automatically refuse to believe all the stuff coming from his mouth. They are incapable of critical thinking.

LOL

win

I'm no fan of his or the conspiracy theorists, but I don't completely discount them either. I'd be more inclined to believe the government is lying thanany other source.

mkl

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
I'm no fan of his or the conspiracy theorists, but I don't completely discount them either.  I'd be more inclined to believe the government is lying than any other source.

I have never actually listened to him, but every once in awhile I will see a story linked to his website that is good. Just like any source you need to make sure you do your homework and check the information presented. I treat Alex Jone's website with the same amount of credibility that I treat CNN's.