• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interest in a Utah permit? - informal survey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I live in VA and have the VA permit.. Then I got Florida.. and tomorrow I mail my UTAH application.. Once that is received, this is what "my" map will look like.

edsmap.jpg

I wish the state governments would fix the rest of our country..

ed

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Ed, might as well send in the twenty bucks and get a NH as well!
Mine took only ten days, mailbox to mailbox.
Where does that get me in addition to VA resident, florida, and utah? (I might do it anyway.. even if it does'nt add one just cuz I have extra 20's layin around and it would be fun to get em all)

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Ed, might as well send in the twenty bucks and get a NH as well!
Mine took only ten days, mailbox to mailbox.
Where does that get me in addition to VA resident, florida, and utah? (I might do it anyway.. even if it does'nt add one just cuz I have extra 20's layin around and it would be fun to get em all)

An easy place to get the info is www.handgunlaw.us

take a look at http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

zoom6zoom

imported post

With what you've got now, it just adds NH - but I'm a firm believer in getting as many permits as you can. It runs up the numbers of how many permits have been issued and makes our position stronger. You can also get PA for about $26, although it won't add anything to your count either.

ed

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
You can also get PA for about $26, although it won't add anything to your count either.
Seems hard to apply.. PA State police says I can.. But as I read differnt sheriffs applications it looks like I need to be a resident. Is there an easier way?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
good point.. one place I wanted to carry was Colorado.. One would think that they would be more like the "old west" since they were a big part of it.
You're SOL on Colorado. No non-resident Co. permit, they don't accept the VA resident permit, and they don't take anybody else's non-resident permit...

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
You can also get PA for about $26, although it won't add anything to your count either.
Seems hard to apply.. PA State police says I can.. But as I read differnt sheriffs applications it looks like I need to be a resident. Is there an easier way?
Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/ They've got info on a friendly (read law abiding:banghead:) Sheriff's office...

Chkultr

imported post

My permit lists include the following....
Virginia
Pennsylvania
North Dakota
New Hampshire
Utah
Worth every penny!
I think and just going off the top of my head the fee for renewal on the Utah permit is $10.00 Why not invest in this permit?!

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Chkultr wrote:
FYI in case you do not already know....AAA if you are a member do your passport photos for free!!

Save you a few dollars and a trip to fed ex kinkos!
Yeah, but AAA isn't on every street corner. Most chain drug stores do passport photos, in a lot of cases it's going to be cheaper to pay to have them done than drive far enough to get them for free...

Chkultr

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Chkultr wrote:
FYI in case you do not already know....AAA if you are a member do your passport photos for free!!

Save you a few dollars and a trip to fed ex kinkos!
Yeah, but AAA isn't on every street corner. Most chain drug stores do passport photos, in a lot of cases it's going to be cheaper to pay to have them done than drive far enough to get them for free...
True depending on where you live!

Chkultr

imported post

Alright just when i think I have it straight I go and get confused again.... I see some of you getting a FL permit along with your Utah permit. I am not quite sure why? On handgunlaw.us website I have created my ccw map with and without FL. The only state that changes on the map is KS. KS states that you have to be a resident of the state that they honor so I do not see the reason for getting a FL permit. Since I still would not be able to carry in KS?. I could be wrong and would love to hear others opinions.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Chkultr wrote:
Alright just when i think I have it straight I go and get confused again.... I see some of you getting a FL permit along with your Utah permit. I am not quite sure why? On handgunlaw.us website I have created my ccw map with and without FL. The only state that changes on the map is KS. KS states that you have to be a resident of the state that they honor so I do not see the reason for getting a FL permit. Since I still would not be able to carry in KS?. I could be wrong and would love to hear others opinions.
The training/proof you used to get your VA permit works for the FL permit, but it is pricey when compared with Utah..

FL...

License Type / Application Fee / Finger Print / License Fee /Total Fee / Renewal Fee

CWP in state N/A $42 $75 $117 $65

CWP(Out-of-State) N/A $42$75 $117 $107

UT New $65.50

UT Renew $10

So - total costs for non resident for 10 years (if you already have VA proof of cometency)

FL $117 + $107 = $224
UT $65.50 + Class $75 + $10 = $150.50