• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interest in a Utah permit? - informal survey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Chkultr wrote:
Alright just when i think I have it straight I go and get confused again.... I see some of you getting a FL permit along with your Utah permit. I am not quite sure why? On handgunlaw.us website I have created my ccw map with and without FL. The only state that changes on the map is KS. KS states that you have to be a resident of the state that they honor so I do not see the reason for getting a FL permit. Since I still would not be able to carry in KS?. I could be wrong and would love to hear others opinions.

Here's my poor man's explanation:

You can get a Florida permit using the same training that you used to get your Va permit. So therefore its easier to apply to Florida but the application and renewal fees cost alot more.

Utah's permit requires you to take a class taught by a Utah certified firearms instructor (which is sometimes difficult to find outside of Utah) but the application fees are much less and the renewal fee is dirt cheap. Also, Utah's permit covers more states than Florida.

So, if you have the opportunity to take the Utah class, do it! You'll save a bunch of money.And you dont even have to switch your car insurance to Geico!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
I live in VA and have the VA permit.. Then I got Florida.. and tomorrow I mail my UTAH application.. Once that is received, this is what "my" map will look like.

edsmap.jpg

I wish the state governments would fix the rest of our country..
FWIW, carryconcealed.net has an error on their map for MO reciprocity. I did not check any other state but I would encourage you to double check your map with handgunlaw.us and if they differ, verify with the appropriate state's web pages.

Chkultr

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Chkultr wrote:
Alright just when i think I have it straight I go and get confused again.... I see some of you getting a FL permit along with your Utah permit. I am not quite sure why? On handgunlaw.us website I have created my ccw map with and without FL. The only state that changes on the map is KS. KS states that you have to be a resident of the state that they honor so I do not see the reason for getting a FL permit. Since I still would not be able to carry in KS?. I could be wrong and would love to hear others opinions.

Here's my poor man's explanation:

You can get a Florida permit using the same training that you used to get your Va permit. So therefore its easier to apply to Florida but the application and renewal fees cost alot more.

Utah's permit requires you to take a class taught by a Utah certified firearms instructor (which is sometimes difficult to find outside of Utah) but the application fees are much less and the renewal fee is dirt cheap. Also, Utah's permit covers more states than Florida.

So, if you have the opportunity to take the Utah class, do it! You'll save a bunch of money.And you dont even have to switch your car insurance to Geico!

Guess that one helps. No reason for me to get the FL permit to go along with all the others I have. I could not for the life of me figure out why get a Fl permit. Seems like a lot of money and hassel to get that state.
Living here in the beach we have a couple instructors that are qual to teach Utah permits. So that is the route I went. I have the following permits.
Virginia Utah Penns (b/c we didnt recip when I got it) North Dakota and New Hampshire! I think I have enough coverage for now.!
Thanks for the opinion! Especially in a language I understand! (poor man)