• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Irresponsible

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:
:D The Narwhal was (in my opinion) the best designed submarine ever. I don't know about Seawolf and whatever the class is after Seawolf but I venture to say that they are too technically advanced and will not fare well in actual combat. There were so many good engineering ideas actually working well in the Narwhal that I thought every submarine should be like her. No reduction gears, Bingo! No forced oil systems for lubrication, Bingo! RCP's not needed to operate the reactor plant, Bingo! No MSW pumps needed (in cool waters) for steam plant operation, Bingo! No R114 plants for air conditioning, Bingo! Heck, I remember during sound trials that no one could hear us AT ALL unless we started and ran one piece of equipment that emitted tonals into the water. That submarine was a dream boat and had the best written reactor plant and steam plant manuals in existence during it's lifetime. So many memories.....the places we went and the things we did. And people thought the Cold War was over....right.

I know just what you are talking about. With that big a$$ horn, I think the Narwhal is one bad a$$ mo-fo. For real, look at that! It has a horn like a sward. Made just right to skewer you. Bad a$$ fish if you ask me:lol:. Wish I could carry one of them on my hip...

Nice pic! Actually it isn't a horn but a tooth that grows through their body. Can you imagine a tooth in your mouth growing like that? Ewww!:lol: