• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it time to fine a new coffee place? Starbucks caves...

anmut

Possibly never, but that's the price you sometimes have to pay for good public relations. And there's the issue of the long term profitability of that Starbucks location or business. A year hasn't even passed and you seem to think that it's time to go toting guns when families are still grieving, that's the type of in your face negativity that will eventually lead to further gun control...

Yes, the time to go TOTING GUNS is now. It is always now, and had teachers been TOTING GUNS in that school the outcome would have been different. Put down the political correctness bong.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
......that's the price you sometimes have to pay for good public relations. ( NO)
A year hasn't even passed and you seem to think that it's time to go toting guns when families are still grieving (YES)
that's the type of in your face negativity that will eventually lead to further gun control...
(NO)

Yes, the time to go TOTING GUNS is now. It is always now, ........... Put down the political correctness bong.

Someone in chicago was shot the day after newtown. Again a week later. Life goes on. Get over it and live your own life, not vicariously thru a victims eyes.

MKEgal

EMNofSeattle said:
That location should never have been chosen.
It wasn't just that location, it was supposed to be nationwide.

EMNofSeattle said:
A year hasn't even passed and you seem to think that it's time to go toting guns when families are still grieving, that's the type of in your face negativity that will eventually lead to further gun control.
If school staff had been allowed to "tote guns" (generally an anti-gunner term), it's likely that there would have been nobody but the psycho dead at the school.
How long should people wait to exercise their rights after some psycho points out the weaknesses in the current method required to exercise those rights?
Why should my rights depend on anyone else's use of their rights?

marshaul said:
a bunch of geniuses decide to "thank" them for their "support" by staging "Starbucks Appreciation Days"
Which is different from any other meet-n-greet how?
Or any other group of friends spending too much money there?

marshaul said:
anyone who has a meet in Starbucks for any reason other than convenience or coffee is a self-absorbed ass.
Then I'm a self-absorbed ass.
I wouldn't normally spend that much for lemonaide or iced tea, and if I did I'd usually go to my locally-owned coffee shop. But I generally attend monthly meet-n-greets at SBX to meet friends and support a business which likes having us there.

marshaul said:
if the goal was really to show appreciation to Starbucks, you could just buy some coffee. It doesn't have to be newsworthy.
Who made it so? Probably the anti's. The pro-rights people spread word amongst ourselves and I'm pretty sure that the MSM wouldn't have paid us any attention even if they'd been alerted. They rarely do.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I wouldn't normally spend that much for lemonaide or iced tea, and if I did I'd usually go to my locally-owned coffee shop. But I generally attend monthly meet-n-greets at SBX to meet friends as support a business which likes having us there.

Key words.

Starbucks made it clear they welcome OCers but not being in the middle of the debate. This particular meet was specifically intended to generate publicity.

This isn't rocket science.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

For Years folks have carried guns, met with friends and bought coffee, just like other customers at Starbucks!
This appriciation day was, it seems a grass roots plan to get Ocers all over the country to visit Starbucks stores
all over the country, just like all the other people all over the country that want to buy coffee and hang out.

Petes coffee in California served the same purpose for a long time, untill a mistake was made.
Someone decided that a critical mass showing would be a good idea,,, well it wasnt a good idea,,, it backfired,,, big time!
On a certain day, at a certain time, at a certain Petes coffee,,,,
Every 2nd amendment advocate, whether OC, CC or noC desended on that one place,,, it became a circus!
The store was filled to overflow, the sidewalk in front was overflowed, regulars couldnt get coffee, they were sad,
folks outside could not get to the other end of the street,,,, and then,, some of the more vocal of the 2A guys,
started stopping and preaching the gosple of their 2A rights and/or responsabilities,,, this pissed off a lot of folks!
Soooo that is the reason behind the change of Petes coffee gun carry policy...

Now in the present situation,, Their was no place, Their was no time,,,, It was just everybody,, go out and be a customer!
And it would have been a great time for all, for us to meet, enjoy, caffinate And for Starbucks to deposit wads of two dollar bills!!!

Sooo what went wrong?
Exposure,,, Somehow the word went out,,, how???
I dont think it is OCDO,, I do think it was through the article by Dave Workman in the Examiner,,, not blaming, just thinking.
Sooo who do I think read about this plan to buy lots of coffee from Starbucks?
The same thing happened recently when a coffee day was planned by one of our own here on OCDO in Seattle!
Dave workman picked up that plan and wrote a story about it in the Examiner.
Soon who else but the "Moms Demanding Action" are calling for all their supporters to go and make a big fuss!!!
That just the way the appritiation day plan went into the crapper...
And guess what is different between us and the moms when we go to starbucks?
We are customers!!! They are just a bunch of angry, spiteful, disruptive, hate filled, mobsters, holding signs, but not buying coffee...

A thing that bothers me, is that we can continue to be good responsible customers, and things will be just fine, But
the Demanding Moms can show up at any time to make a fuss and push Starbucks to change policy.
We are only on the, neutral or losing end of the struggle.
The Moms Can Not Lose!!! But they can end up neutral... It really is the only thing that we can hope to achieve.

The only way that the out come could be any better for 2nd amendment supporters,
would be for Starbucks to somehow deny the Demanding Moms the 1st amendment right
to assemble and/or protest out side their stores....

I would NOT ask for or support any such action,,, EVER!!!

I will support all of your rights,,, Please support all of my rights.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Sooo what went wrong?

I'm sorry, I have to say it:

The whole notion of "Starbucks appreciation day", contrary to the wishes of Starbucks, is not only rather snarky and unbecoming of us, it was planned solely for the intentional and predictable result of getting in the news and making a point.

Why else broadcast it? Why else attempt to make it a national thing - a "day"?

Again, it's not "hey, we're going to have a meet for the normal sort of reasons. Starbucks?" It's, "Hey guys let's have a STARBUCKS APPRECIATION DAY because they're super pro-2A, derp!"

"Somehow the word went out". Psht. If folks wanted to show Starbucks their appreciation, they'd honor the simple request of not making a big deal out of the fact that Starbucks "follows state law". Just by coffee, when you feel like coffee. Don't plan a day about it just to get in the news and gloat.

And that's exactly what "SAD" (Starbucks appreciation day) was: gloating.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And you said this before Friday?

So from now on, one cannot schedule a meeting anywhere? Should be meet in only our basements?

Do you really not see what a gross non-sequitur this is?

Seriously. One company has asked you not to draw them into it. So just don't draw that one company into it. Nobody has said you can't OC. Nobody has said you can't have meets. Hell, nobody has said you can't have meets at Starbucks. Starbucks has, however, made it clear that they don't want you broadcasting the fact that you're going to host a "Starbucks appreciation day" - because they follow state law (big whoop, so does everybody else) - and have meets solely to gloat over that fact.

When I put parts of what I say in italics, David, that means those parts are being emphasized. That means you can't ignore them.

I never said a word about "having meets anywhere". What I criticized was "having widely-broadcast meets solely to gloat over Starbucks electing to 'follow state law' like everybody else on the planet." See the difference between those two things?

Seriously. If you can't see my point, even a little, you're as thick as a board.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Do you really not see what a gross non-sequitur this is?

Seriously. One company has asked you not to draw them into it. So just don't draw that one company into it. Nobody has said you can't OC. Nobody has said you can't have meets. Hell, nobody has said you can't have meets at Starbucks. Starbucks has, however, made it clear that they don't want you broadcasting the fact that you're going to host a "Starbucks appreciation day" - because they follow state law (big whoop, so does everybody else) - and have meets solely to gloat over that fact.

When I put parts of what I say in italics, David, that means those parts are being emphasized. That means you can't ignore them.

I never said a word about "having meets anywhere". What I criticized was "having widely-broadcast meets solely to gloat over Starbucks electing to 'follow state law' like everybody else on the planet." See the difference between those two things?

Seriously. If you can't see my point, even a little, you're as thick as a board.

I would suggest that starbucks close and re-open as a members only coffee house. If you are open to the public, then you are open to the public.

The possibility that it was anything other than just an appreciation day is IRRELEVANT.

And "they follow state laws" ... like you said, everybody does (usually) ...

You believe that you have a civil right to be able to defend yourself?

You are not in CT .. so what are we gloating about? Passage of PA13-3?

So...people throughout the US went to starbucks to gloat huh? You really cannot believe that, do you?

And if you do, is this just an opinion or based on facts; as I have not seen any facts supporting the claim that people went over to SBKS to gloat. I would be happy to review such facts.

Keep on trying to appear to be sympathetic .. you'll be the next recipient of a PA13-3 via false flag operations.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by 1245A Defender

Sooo what went wrong?

I'm sorry, I have to say it:

The whole notion of "Starbucks appreciation day", contrary to the wishes of Starbucks, is not only rather snarky and unbecoming of us, it was planned solely for the intentional and predictable result of getting in the news and making a point.

Why else broadcast it? Why else attempt to make it a national thing - a "day"?

Again, it's not "hey, we're going to have a meet for the normal sort of reasons. Starbucks?" It's, "Hey guys let's have a STARBUCKS APPRECIATION DAY because they're super pro-2A, derp!"

"Somehow the word went out". Psht. If folks wanted to show Starbucks their appreciation, they'd honor the simple request of not making a big deal out of the fact that Starbucks "follows state law". Just by coffee, when you feel like coffee. Don't plan a day about it just to get in the news and gloat.

And that's exactly what "SAD" (Starbucks appreciation day) was: gloating.

Sooo, one of my main points was, that the demanding moms were getting their ideas for protesting from reading the Examiner!
I am aware that a call for an appritiation day at Starbucks, was asking for the kind of publicity and trouble that we and STBX dont want.
And another thing,,, I have been trying to get to the bottom of " who decided this was a good idea, and spread the word of that plan?"
A it turns out,,, there are only about 3 demanding moms in each state!
The plan to go to Newtown resulted in the only closure,, of course those 3 demanding moms did go, but
that was after many OCing customers bought and enjoyed their coffee..
It like the coffee day that was planned here in Seattle, July 31,,, the moms said they would come, all 3 of them!
Well our guys didnt go to that STBX, they watched from across the street as the sad demanding moms with signs got tired of having
nobody to protest against and just go home,,, it was sad and funny.. they did however wave back to our OCers,,, politely.
Our guys spent the rest of their coffee day in Seattle visiting and buying coffee at 4 other STBXs with no repercussions at all....

Law abider

Possibly never, but that's the price you sometimes have to pay for good public relations. And there's the issue of the long term profitability of that Starbucks location or business. A year hasn't even passed and you seem to think that it's time to go toting guns when families are still grieving, that's the type of in your face negativity that will eventually lead to further gun control...

Where is the logic in that statement? Extrapolate to " we shouldn't be driving our cars down the freeway where there was a 50 car pileup and they all died out of respect for those grieving for their loved ones? People are paranoid of guns because the anti gun Nazis have educated the people well. My own brother and sister are very afraid of guns. They have lectured me on the 'dangers' of being shot because of the gun on my hip. I always ask people: Are you lecturing me out of experience or ignorance. most times they are ignoramus-experts.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Where is the logic in that statement? Extrapolate to " we shouldn't be driving our cars down the freeway where there was a 50 car pileup and they all died out of respect for those grieving for their loved ones? People are paranoid of guns because the anti gun Nazis have educated the people well. My own brother and sister are very afraid of guns. They have lectured me on the 'dangers' of being shot because of the gun on my hip. I always ask people: Are you lecturing me out of experience or ignorance. most times they are ignoramus-experts.

+1 Sorry to hear about the brainwashing of your siblings ...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Actually, it appeared that there was going to be a protest by the Newtown Action Alloiance of the OCers at this store. I would have probably closed early, too.

"Today, advocacy groups from different sides of the open carry debate announced plans to visit our Newtown, Connecticut store to bring attention to their points of view", said Chris Carr, executive vice president for U.S. Retail at Starbucks on the company's Web site Friday. "We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding this topic, however out of respect for Newtown and everything the community has been through we decided to close our store early before the event started".

http://www.examiner.com/article/starbucks-appreciation-day-closes-newtown-conn-store-early

idea(l)s

Oh no, this is the next level of litigation...you have a civil right to be able to defend yourself. Agree?

Sure, but you lost me with: "-- is our right to KBA a civil right? I think so ...".

Our right to KBA is NOT a "civil" right (aka a "privilege")...................!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sure, but you lost me with: "-- is our right to KBA a civil right? I think so ...".

Our right to KBA is NOT a "civil" right (aka a "privilege")...................!

You must push for it to be recognized as a civil right.

Remember when it was not an individual right?

Remember when it was not applicable to the states?

Push to expand .... push push push

anmut

I am amazed at how many OC names I see with post counts bigger than mine continue to make the "I support the 2nd Amendment... BUT" argument for Starbucks.

Wait... I mean - I am appalled, yes that the word I was looking for. Appalled & disgusted. Shame on those who are backing a gun free zone and special privileges for anti's. FOR SHAME.