• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just drew on a "burglar"

zack991

imported post

Would have done the same. Ignore those who say that you over reacted. Everyone knows in my family and friends that THEY MUST call before coming over. It is not only good manors it keeps them from getting shot. For those who say I should be able to tell my family from a foe need to remember that when your awoken from a dead sleep it takes up to 30 mins for you to be 100% aware of your surroundings / fully awake.

With it being that hour of the morning and the manner in which he showed up I would say you did everything ok in my book. The fact that he was released from jail is another wtf moment. Now i do not know why he went and its none of my business but that is another thing that would make me uneasy as well for him just showing up.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
What if a LEO was the one doing the banging?
top half of the door is basically windows,and not the design ones that you cant see out of,just regular glass.

arent LEO's supposed to state that they are LEO?

and i like playing into hanks questions from time to time,quite often they actually make you think about something,the other half is just good fun with him.

sign mention duly noted,ill have to grab some spray paint and cover over that part.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
i guess he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outsidewaiting for the others to wake up for the morning,but had just gotten too cold."
That is a good dog. it didn't bark until it felt that the outsider was a direct threat to you. I don't like dogs that bark every time a kid rides by on a bicycle.
Man's best friend, indeed. I Highly recommend a dog to anyone who is able to have one and is serious about home defense. Just out of curiosity, what kind of dog is it?

My 97lb. Shepherd sleeps right in front of the front door most nights, as if he feels it's his duty. It's great because I'm a heavy sleeper so I can sleep in peace knowing that he's going to sound the alarm if anything goes down. When he goes off, my gun belt goes on!

SsevenN

imported post

@ OP, seems like you were prepared for violence, which is good, but you must also be prepared to deal with strangers, children, pets, people who were in an accident etc etc...

What I'm getting at is, telling somebody on the opposite side of your door to 'not move or you'll shoot them' isn't a very sound idea. What if it was a neighbors kid? There are so many ways where that kind of "greeting" will bring unintended, negative consequences.

Be safe, be smart, be vigilant.

lil_freak_66

imported post

SsevenN wrote:
@ OP, seems like you were prepared for violence, which is good, but you must also be prepared to deal with strangers, children, pets, people who were in an accident etc etc...

What I'm getting at is, telling somebody on the opposite side of your door to 'not move or you'll shoot them' isn't a very sound idea. What if it was a neighbors kid? There are so many ways where that kind of "greeting" will bring unintended, negative consequences.

Be safe, be smart, be vigilant.

with the severity of the banging on the door,i feel my words were justified,if it had been on the glass portion of the door instead of the wood,it probably would have been hard enough to crack and/or break it.

i talked with him and discussed very seriously about why he shouldnt be pounding on it that hard,especially uninvited at 6am

my dog is about a year old,she is mostly black lab and has some pit in her,looks like a lab,but smaller like a pit,and her facial structure is a mix of pit and lab.

RARELY barks,which is why when she does i know something isnt right.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

All's well that ends well.

Appreciate your sharing - we all can learn something from others.

Yata hey

lil_freak_66

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
All's well that ends well.

Appreciate your sharing - we all can learn something from others.

Yata hey
call me mentally deficient...but whats the yata hey thing for? i see alot of us do it,and never got why...

wewd

imported post

I would suggest next time not leveling your firearm at the unknown person or announcing its existence until you are more certain of a potential threat. I've gone to my door with a gun in my hand a few times, but never pointed at anything except for the floor. The last time it was my neighbor across the street asking if I had any jumper cables, he couldn't get his truck started and he was late for work. Not every odd-hours visitor is a threat.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I don't think I'd appreciate if someone drew on me at 6 in the morning, but then, it would depend if it was a permanent or water soluble marker.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

posted somewhere else but heres my .02 on the issue

So because someone was outside of his door.
He threatened to shoot them.
Multiple situations to ponder.

Police officer.
Neighbor that hears that, runs away and calls the cops because someone threatened to shoot them.
A animal that continues to make noise and gets shot because someone felt it was better to shoot first and ask questions later.

That is the WORST reaction to a situation.
Without seeing who is knocking( or pounding) and scaring you in your sleep
you get up and automatically threaten someone?
NO
You get up, arm yourself
and either
Take up a defensive position in the house with a good view on the door and ask who is there.
Take up a defensive position in the house with a good view on the door and call the police.
Or just arm yourself and go to the door and ask who is there and why are you pounding on the door.

What if it is someone who was in an accident or injured that is in a panic?
scare them even more.
He did not keep his cool for that and handled it completely wrong.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
i grab my rifle and chamber a round.and proceed toward the frontdoor with the rifle shouldered,once i got to the front door i said dont move or your gonna get shot.turned out it was my sisters father,he yelled it was him.he doesnt live here and just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand and was just looking for a place to keep warm,i guess he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outsidewaiting for the others to wake up for the morning,but had just gotten too cold.

Why? Were you pointing it at him? It's one thing to chamber a round and prepare yourself, but never point the weapon if you can't even see who it is. Say this happened instead...

The neighbors could have called 911 because it's the middle of the night and they saw a man in all black walking through your yard. You were asleep so maybe you didn't hear the knock at the door and a man yell out "Sheriff's department! Is everyone OK?"

The officerchecks the door and it's unlocked so he opens it. Just before he can repeat his original statement, you show up with a rifle pointed at him and the officer thinks fast and defends himself. All he can see if a possible gunman in the house pointing a weapon. He doesn't know you are not the "intruder".... especially with you aiming at him.

LRS-DUDE

imported post

I've been surfing this site for a while. I finally decided to join. On that note, 6AM? I've already left for work. However, if I was home, and there was a pounding at the door, my weapon is coming with. REGARDLESS. I have a USP for answering the door, but, I'm not above a rifle; at all. If thats all you have, do what you must. I will always protect my family first.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

LRS-DUDE wrote:
I've been surfing this site for a while. I finally decided to join. On that note, 6AM? I've already left for work. However, if I was home, and there was a pounding at the door, my weapon is coming with. REGARDLESS. I have a USP for answering the door, but, I'm not above a rifle; at all. If thats all you have, do what you must. I will always protect my family first.
I never siad he shouldn't arm himself. They way he did it could have gotten him hurt. I always have a weapon on me, but it's not pointed at shadows in the dark after a knock on the door.

LRS-DUDE

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
LRS-DUDE wrote:
I never siad he shouldn't arm himself. They way he did it could have gotten him hurt. I always have a weapon on me, but it's not pointed at shadows in the dark after a knock on the door.

I wasn't poking at you Hollowpoint. Just my 2 cents. It just doesn't bother me having a rifle shouldered at the low ready. I guess it's a chance I am willing to take. I haven't had many LEO let themselves in. I HAVE had enough BG's rifle through my stuff and a few try to let themselves in. I probably wouldn't have done/said the exact same thing(s), I just understand where he is coming from(ish).

open4years

imported post

Perhaps I haven't thought of all possibilities, but I can't see myself shooting through a closed exterior door unless someone was sending lead my way. One isn't in physical danger when a still locked and intact door seperates you and the other person. If you had shot through the door and either injured or killed someone, I doubt it would be considered self-defense.

However, I didn't experience it or felt the emotions you had. I can say that it is something I don't 'think' I would do. I wouldn't even go to the door in the first place. If I heard the door being forced open and my alarm going off, perhaps. But I would call 911 and if my bedroom door was forced open before LE arrived, I would already be crouched on the other side of the bed with weapon ready to fire. But I would only fire if the bad guy continued to advance on me after my warning that I would shoot. If I didn't live alone, I would certainly confront the intruder to protect my family.