• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just drew on a "burglar"

Kloutier

imported post

HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
so here i was,about a half hour ago actually.sleeping,as i usually to till 10am(it was just after 6)

so yeah there i was sleeping,and the dog barks and jumps off the bed,waking me up and causing a serious adrenaline rush.

i hear a noise at the door,so i grab my rifle and chamber a round.and proceed toward the frontdoor with the rifle shouldered,once i got to the front door i said dont move or your gonna get shot.turned out it was my sisters father,he yelled it was him.he doesnt live here and just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand and was just looking for a place to keep warm,i guess he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outsidewaiting for the others to wake up for the morning,but had just gotten too cold.

so yeah,6am,dark,snowy,dark dressed "bad guy" andmy rifle.

i cant get to sleep now....
Sounds like you overreacted a bit. But, not too too bad.

What kind of rifle was it?

Do you own a handgun?

i couldnt think of anything else to say,but i feel it was a decent thing to say considering it was a loud pounding on my door just after 6am,when we get visitors maybe once or twice a month at most,and thats during the afternoon

my ruger 10/22,it was the only thing that was out with an already loaded magazine.

it is a "michigan pistol"

and no i do not,under 21,and do not have the money to buy one from a private seller.

first time dealin with that,i couldnt get backto sleep until 9 because of the adrenaline.

Doesn't sound like you were prepared all that well. Plus, you escalated the situation--needlessly.

This was a no-threat situation.

No need for a gun. No need to threaten to shoot anyone.

Things would have worked out slightly better if you had justslept through it...

I disagree. If there are sounds like some one is breaking in I will be down there with my gun drawn. I will not allow some one to get the draw on me and put my family in harms way, The way you talk makes it sound like if I go to your home at 6 Am or any time I guess and start cawing through the window you will come down with a pot of hot tea to help warm my bones.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Re-affirming that he caused door and door frame damage,it was not what any rationable person would consider a friendly knock.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
Re-affirming that he caused door and door frame damage,it was not what any rationable person would consider a friendly knock.
ill just say this again hopefully reading it multiple times and seeing how many people tell you that your reactions were completely wrong and irrational and need to change how you handle the situation

So because someone was outside of his door.
He threatened to shoot them.
Multiple situations to ponder.

Police officer.
Neighbor that hears that, runs away and calls the cops because someone threatened to shoot them.
A animal that continues to make noise and gets shot because someone felt it was better to shoot first and ask questions later.

That is the WORST reaction to a situation.
Without seeing who is knocking( or pounding) and scaring you in your sleep
you get up and automatically threaten someone?
NO
You get up, arm yourself
and either
Take up a defensive position in the house with a good view on the door and ask who is there.
Take up a defensive position in the house with a good view on the door and call the police.
Or just arm yourself and go to the door and ask who is there and why are you pounding on the door.

What if it is someone who was in an accident or injured that is in a panic?
scare them even more.
He did not keep his cool for that and handled it completely wrong.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I agree Beerme, If this happened to me, the first thing I do is arm and cover. I wont even ask who it is. Im not disclosing my location until I have identified the threat, and gaind control of the situation. I will be moving behind cover away from doors and hallways where people naturally look first.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
so here i was,about a half hour ago actually.sleeping,as i usually to till 10am(it was just after 6)

so yeah there i was sleeping,and the dog barks and jumps off the bed,waking me up and causing a serious adrenaline rush.

i hear a noise at the door,so i grab my rifle and chamber a round.and proceed toward the frontdoor with the rifle shouldered,once i got to the front door i said dont move or your gonna get shot.turned out it was my sisters father,he yelled it was him.he doesnt live here and just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand and was just looking for a place to keep warm,i guess he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outsidewaiting for the others to wake up for the morning,but had just gotten too cold.

Do you own a handgun?

i couldnt think of anything else to say,but i feel it was a decent thing to say considering it was a loud pounding on my door just after 6am,when we get visitors maybe once or twice a month at most,and thats during the afternoon

my ruger 10/22,it was the only thing that was out with an already loaded magazine.

it is a "michigan pistol"

and no i do not,under 21,and do not have the money to buy one from a private seller.

first time dealin with that,i couldnt get backto sleep until 9 because of the adrenaline.
Doesn't sound like you were prepared all that well. Plus, you escalated the situation--needlessly.

I almost agree... Damn I hate that.

6am, uninvited guest... I would not be all mall ninja, rifle shouldered shouting I'll blow your head off, etc..... That's stupid and dangerous. But my Rifle in hand (it's ALWAYS got one chambered), not looking through the peep hole, "Who the hell are you?" etc... Would seem the more prudent response.

novasig226r

imported post

The only things that comes to my mind after reading this are:

#4 Identify your target, and what is behind it.

One doesn't shoot at anything which has not been positively identified.

"But what if..."

Condition Yellow. Relaxed alert, checking your six. Ready to go to Orange or Red if necessary. If you allow yourself to walk around in White, then you are kibble. In White you are totally unprepared. "What if..." situations are handled more readily when you "are ready/prepared".

6am, loud banging at the door. You should be in Yellow as soon as that dog is barking or the alarm is sounding. Still banging? Windows breaking? Condition Orange.

Oh, it's my drunk brother wanting to go fishing. Yellow.
Oh crap, it's a sumbitch with a gun/knife/bat/machette. Red - BANG!

Check it out

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ixtow wrote:
HankT wrote:

6am, uninvited guest... I would not be all mall ninja, rifle shouldered shouting I'll blow your head off, etc..... That's stupid and dangerous. But my Rifle in hand (it's ALWAYS got one chambered), not looking through the peep hole, "Who the hell are you?" etc... Would seem the more prudent response.

Well, some people follow thepattern of the old Abraham Maslow nugget:

When all you have is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail.

Andthey prove it....
24.gif

eye95

imported post

HankT wrote:
ixtow wrote:
HankT wrote:

Andthey prove it....
24.gif
I thought the nugget was: When all you have is a postulate, every problem becomes one about shooting unarmed men.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

eye95 wrote:
HankT wrote:
ixtow wrote:
HankT wrote:

Andthey prove it....
24.gif
I thought the nugget was: When all you have is a postulate, every problem becomes one about shooting unarmed men.
That doesn't even make any sense.

Also, it's a falsepremise, E95 since I have a theory, too.

See HankT's Theory Of Inverse Firearm Requirements[suP]©[/suP] (HTIFR[suP]©[/suP]).

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=44179

I'll take a guess about you, E95.... and say you're a rock solidMGGLGB guy...

lil_freak_66

imported post

kinda wierd,the guy that did this told me today that he f***ed up when he did that,and that he pounded it way too hard.

when he gets out of jail he is repaying me for the damages.

so +1 for the ex step father trying to get his life fixed up?

Packer fan

imported post

HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

Do you own a handgun?

Almost sounds like what you did Hank

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/42718.html

Did you overreact here Hank? Notice the dates between thte two posts. Did you not learn for the above OP? Plus in your case the man never touched your door and you grab a gun, and it wasn't the first time.

I have been wondering how you have been coming up with your brilliant thoughts and musings.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

Do you own a handgun?

Did you overreact here Hank? Notice the dates between thte two posts. Did you not learn for the above OP? Plus in your case the man never touched your door and you grab a gun, and it wasn't the first time.

I have been wondering how you have been coming up with your brilliant thoughts and musings.

How did hank over react?
He grabbed his gun and called the police...
He didn't blindly threaten someone on the other side of the door, there is a lot of stuff that I do not agree with that hanks says but he most certainly did not overeact, he prepared to defend himself.
Now had he threatened to shoot a random person
yes
that is over reacting

Packer fan

imported post

Beerme wrote:
Packer fan wrote:
HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

Do you own a handgun?

How did hank over react?
He didn't blindly threaten someone on the other side of the door, there is a lot of stuff that I do not agree with that hanks says but he most certainly did not overeact, he prepared to defend himself.
yes
that is over reacting
First the OP did not shoot, he only pointed the rifle and shouted giving the person a warning. Would I have done the same? I don't know I was not there. It's easy to sit back and play armchair quarterback when you are not in the situation.

I wonder what Hank would have done given that he heard moaning and grab his gun. The drunk did not bang on his door only sat outside moaning. Yet, he felt the need to grab a gun. Hank said,
"I've had this situation before, about 25 years ago. Then, I pulled my Colt Python and aimed it at the doorway waiting for someone to break in." I did not shoot then. Didn't have to. The guy never broke in."
So what does this make Hank? Oh yeah, Hank didn't point a rifle.

Here we have a man who was pounding on the door and the OP only yelled a warning. He did not shoot. Do I advise shooting blindly through a door; no, but the OP did not. Yet Hank said he did the same thing 25 years ago.

The point is that each situation requires a different reaction. Take the time to teach yourself and family in how each one should react if this where to happen to you.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
Beerme wrote:
Packer fan wrote:
HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

Do you own a handgun?

How did hank over react?
yes
that is over reacting
First the OP did not shoot, he only pointed the rifle and shouted giving the person a warning. Would I have done the same? I don't know I was not there. It's easy to sit back and play armchair quarterback when you are not in the situation.

I wonder what Hank would have done given that he heard moaning and grab his gun. The drunk did not bang on his door only sat outside moaning. Yet, he felt the need to grab a gun. Hank said,
"I've had this situation before, about 25 years ago. Then, I pulled my Colt Python and aimed it at the doorway waiting for someone to break in." I did not shoot then. Didn't have to. The guy never broke in."
So what does this make Hank? Oh yeah, Hank didn't point a rifle.

Here we have a man who was pounding on the door and the OP only yelled a warning. He did not shoot. Do I advise shooting blindly through a door; no, but the OP did not. Yet Hank said he did the same thing 25 years ago.

The point is that each situation requires a different reaction. Take the time to teach yourself and family in how each one should react if this where to happen to you.
Take the time to shut up.
The OP BLINDLY THREATENED TO SHOOT AT SOMEONE HE DID NOT KNOW
He was not sure if it was a threat or someone needing help.
Hank took up a defensive position and waited to see if the door got kicked in
Both cases are COMPLETELY different and you are just trolling because hank posted

lil_freak_66

imported post

beerme,let me reiterate AGAIN(why do i have to do this every time i check up on the thread?your alot like pat)

i felt very threatened,which is whya rifle was produced and a verbal warning/threat issued,rather than just shooting.

i still have a ruined door frame to fix,and i just replaced the handle because it was damaged internally from it.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
beerme,let me reiterate AGAIN(why do i have to do this every time i check up on the thread?your alot like pat)

i felt very threatened,which is whya rifle was produced and a verbal warning/threat issued,rather than just shooting.

i still have a ruined door frame to fix,and i just replaced the handle because it was damaged internally from it.
You did not issue a warning you issued a threat.
If it were in fact an LEO and they heard that your door would have been kicked in and who knows what would have happened.
If it were someone who was panicking and scared your THREAT would have furthered their fear.
You did not act accordingly and acted immaturely
That is all there is to say about it.

okboomer

imported post

Beerme wrote:
You did not issue a warning you issued a threat.
If it were in fact an LEO and they heard that your door would have been kicked in and who knows what would have happened.
If it were someone who was panicking and scared your THREAT would have furthered their fear.
You did not act accordingly and acted immaturely
That is all there is to say about it.
No, he issued a warning:

lil freak wrote:
i said dont move or your gonna get shot.
The next action was on the person on the other side of the door. His choice to continue or face being shot.

If an LEO heard that and kicked the door, they would have been breaking and entering ... you have the RIGHT to defend yourself in your own home in most of the USA. Generally, LEO beating on the door that late at night (with bad news, usually) will also have the dispatcher ringing the telephone and the LEO would be announcing himself ... well, that has been my experience (3 late night notifications by LEO) anyway.

If it was someone who was panicking, I would imagine they would have been shouting, "help, let me in," or some such.

Lil freak's command didprovide the desired result, the person beating on his door (hard enough to damage the door, btw) identified himself.

Also, if someone was beating on my door hard enough to damage the door to the extent that I had to replace the door handle/lock, I would definitely consider that to be an attempt to break into my house and I would be on the phone to PD (of course, little town, PD response >5 min :D, Sherrif is whole 'nuther case.)

In my state, we can also shoot to prevent destruction to property ... not that I advocate shooting through a door, but if I see someone breaking into my neighbor's house I will have to think long and hard, but I can see a scenario or two where I would shoot. As for someone (not LEO,for sure)beating on my door in the middle of the night, well, I have opened the door with my .45 in their face a couple of times. I have windows in the door and did not recognize the men, and they "said" they were looking for a different house. One other time, it was someone beating on my back door where I don't have windows, and the dog was sounding off, so I opened the door with the .45 pointed at whoever was out there, which it turned out to be a woman who had run from her drunk boyfriend that had already hit her a couple of times. She was actually glad to see the gun and felt safe until the PD grabbed the BF.

So, I would guess that I am immature and irresponsible also, according to some :lol:, but I thought they were reasoned responses to situations at the time. As long as I didn't have to shoot, I consider that to be the best outcome possible. And considering that two strange men showed up on my front porch and banged on my door in the middle of the night, I might even say that the gun prevented my house from being broken into later. I also still will not hesitate to sleep with windows open or keep the front door open all day ... I like that folks think that I am armed and wonder if I will use it if it keeps the BG's from my property.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

okboomer wrote:
snip.....
I like that folks think that I am armed and wonder if I will use it if it keeps the BG's from my property.
That is the "no draw" defense at work again. :D

Yata hey

cshoff

imported post

Beerme wrote:
Take the time to shut up.
The OP BLINDLY THREATENED TO SHOOT AT SOMEONE HE DID NOT KNOW
He was not sure if it was a threat or someone needing help.
Hank took up a defensive position and waited to see if the door got kicked in
Both cases are COMPLETELY different and you are just trolling because hank posted
In Missouri, threatening to shoot someone who is attempting to unlawfully enter would be completely lawful. In fact, in Missouri, actually shooting someone who is attempting to unlawfully enter is completely lawful, even if it isn't necessarily the most prudent thing to do. Not sure what state the OP is in, but his state may have similar language in their Castle Doctrine.

okboomer

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
okboomer wrote:
snip.....
I like that folks think that I am armed and wonder if I will use it if it keeps the BG's from my property.
That is the "no draw" defense at work again. :D

Yata hey
And I can't get even one news media outlet interested in doing a story about it :cool: