• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just drew on a dog...

drjoker

imported post

Hey, anybody ever have any experience with dogs and pepper spray? Especially pit bulls and pepper spray?

I love dogs and don't wish to kill any dogs. I run, too. I carry a .380 Kel Tec P3AT when I am running/jogging and a can of pepper spray. Usually, I just yell commands at the dogs like, "Sit!" and they'll obey as they're domestic dogs. I have never had to use my pepper spray nor gun.

However, this is my game plan when I encounter a hostile dog. Dogs are territorial so as long as I run across the street (traffic permitting), they'll usually calm down. That's what I usually do. If I cannot run across the street due to busy traffic, then I will have my pepper spray handy while I yell a command like, "Sit!" to it. If it gets too close, then I'll spray it and karate kick it in the head. However, if it is pit bull or Mastif, I plan on pulling out my gun instead of the pepper spray. I will then yell a command at it, "Sit!" If it gets too close, I will shoot it.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan of action? I basically want to keep myself free of injury while showing the most restraint possible because I do love dogs and do not wish to hurt them.

Elkad

imported post

Worked a changing out electric meters. I met dozens of strange dogs every day, and trespassed in their yards.

Short version. If a dog chases you. STOP. If its playing, that will usually defuse the situation. Go ahead and try No, Down, Sit, Go Home

If it seems aggressive. Present your side to the dog (not back) and watch it out of the corner of your eye (you can turn your eyes to look directly at it, just don't face it). Keep your hands low. If the dog keeps trying to circle behind you, thats a huge warning sign, he's looking for an opportunity to attack.

Many kinds of defensive sprays don't work on dogs at all. Get a can designed specifically for dogs (Muzzle & HALT! are 2 major brands). Don't worry, it'll still ruin a human's day.

In a questionable situation. (you stop for a dog, aren't sure what it will do, but don't want to turn your back on it). My typical response was to spray the ground and/or the dog's feet. I didn't like spraying them in the face for no good reason (but I did do it a couple times, and in one case if I'd been armed I would have shot one). Unless the dog was completely enraged, just a sniff would be enough to make him go away.

Multiple dogs. Big warning. If any single dog is big enough to be a threat, then REGARDLESS OF ITS ATTITUDE you are potentially in danger. That little yorkie will probably take a shot at you. Not a problem, except then the excitement infects the big loveable lab and he joins in. If its 2 or more big dogs, and they split up while approaching you (to attack from multiple sides/behind) you have a serious situation.

Leashes. Who's leading the walk? The dog or the owner? If the dog is dragging the human around, its in charge. Act accordingly.

nobucks

imported post

This has been a subject on my mind every summer as I occasionally meet up with loose dogs, some friendly, some not. Good advice and food for thought.

I came across this video on YouTube and thought of this thread:
Dog vs. Taser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZZiXPajAc

The first kick that the officer gives is right on target. I thought he showed great restraint in not firing. Lucky for the dog that the Taser worked.

ddog101775

imported post

nobucks wrote:

the anchor in the newscast says that the officer being attacked doesn't have a right to shoot the dog, but another officer does have a right. anyone know if this is accurate, and if it is, why a law like that would be created?

the only thing i can think of, is that they think the officer would be spraying bullets in an attempt to hit the animal, but that still seems like it's taking the officer's right to self-defense away from him.

nobucks

imported post

She says, "In this situation an officer has the right to shoot, but Chedric doesn't."

So, he could shoot in this situation. I suppose that he was concerned about spraying bullets around the neighborhood with all of those people standing around. Nice shot by the Taser guy.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

nobucks wrote:
She says, "In this situation an officer has the right to shoot, but Chedric doesn't."

So, he could shoot in this situation. I suppose that he was concerned about spraying bullets around the neighborhood with all of those people standing around. Nice shot by the Taser guy.
I can see how that statement would be confusing. I think she meant to say "All though an officer has every right to shoot a dog in this situation, Chedric choose not to."

ddog101775

imported post

nobucks wrote:

ok, i got it now. i thought that they meant an officer does, but chedric didn't. but i understand now.

Sleepless

imported post

ddog101775 wrote:
nobucks wrote:

ok, i got it now. i thought that they meant an officer does, but chedric didn't. but i understand now.
I believe she was trying to say that Chedric could have shot the dog but decided not to do it for whatever reason.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

superdemon wrote:
I once beat a dog to death with an ASP baton. Two strikes to the dome and it was over with.

Beating a dog to death sounds a lot more brutal than applying two well aimed strikes to the head, but I guess they're both right lol. I actually own an ASP and have received minimal training on how to use it (Marine Corps). Some people don't realize how deadly they are.

So if you don't mind me asking, what type of dog was it? was it attacking your or someone/something else? Were you injured in the process?

superdemon

imported post

DreQo wrote:
superdemon wrote:
I once beat a dog to death with an ASP baton. Two strikes to the dome and it was over with.

Beating a dog to death sounds a lot more brutal than applying two well aimed strikes to the head, but I guess they're both right lol. I actually own an ASP and have received minimal training on how to use it (Marine Corps). Some people don't realize how deadly they are.

So if you don't mind me asking, what type of dog was it? was it attacking your or someone/something else? Were you injured in the process?

It was a feral dog that wandered onto my back porch in Rockcastle county. There were people downrange, and I was still in uniform going around back to feed my dog. I didn't want to just spray it and let it run off to reproduce, but I couldn't shoot it. I approached it from the opposite side of the foodbowl it was eating from. It looked up at me and growled, but I had already drawn my ASP. when it looked up, I got the first strike just above the right eye. It went down, and the second strike finished him off. He may well have been dead after the first strike, I don't know. He weighed in at 55 pounds on my deer scale.

FunkTrooper

imported post

About a year or so back a pit bull was running into my GF's backyard and started fighting with her dog (chained to a tree) it had locked its jaw onto her dogs neck and the owner of the pit bull and I were trying to pull it off. I kicked that dog so hard in the head it would of severely injured a person but it wasn't even phased. I wasn't old enough to carry at the time but had my Ka-Bar in the car I went to go get it but the owner had gotten control of the dog and took back to his house and put it down old yeller style. Animals are not always predictable, best to use caution in these situations.

GreenCountyPete

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
jchantelau wrote:
I always carry some pepper spray with me which works great on the pups that get out of hand without having to pull my firearm.
A friend of mine who is a postal carrier says he has found pepper spray to be useless against dogs. He uses an air horn and says that usually does the trick.

Use the peper spray on the dogs and it will give you good reason to use the gun next time, realy unless sprayed at the ground like posted above can make you an enemy of the dog

we had a postal carrier who it would appear had done just that to our dog many years ago , that was the only person who ever had a problem with her we would not get mail on days when she was staked out in the yard even if she couldn't reach the mail box usualy saturdays

we watched one saturday the dog had a thing for that one postal carreir but that carrierwasn'taround long and things were fine after that one was gone some dogs just see a uniform but this was somthing personal with just that one carrier

dog treats , tend to work the best ,on most house dogs that are generaly good dogs anyway used to carry them in my work van the boss provided them kept the clients happy got us into the yards so we could do our repairs.

my dad used to carry them also in the ups truck , better to make freinds than enimies with the dogs on the route i woun't tell you he never got bit but i think it was only twice in 17 years and both i belive were dogs that charged out of the house when the owner opened the door to accept the package.

MitchN60

imported post

I'm an armed security officer, working in large Federal Housing complexes, (Projects to some), when a resident approached my partner and I about a German Shepherd running around by a couple of buildings barking and growling at people. Since pets aren't allowed, my partner and I knew it didn't belong there. We saw the dog running around and attempted to herd it out a gate, it came at us instead, barking and growling. Three TAP .40's later, we were done with the dog.

Dragonflydf

imported post

Been there, done that, shot the dog.

My next door neighbors 6 yr old son crashed his bike at the end of my sidewalk and I saw the dad run up and push the kid behind him and then put the bike in front of him. I grabbed my pistol and went outside and found 2 pitbulls stalking them. I asked if they knew whos dogs they were and looked around for anyone else, mainly the dogs owners. The dogs kept advancing and when the lead dog started to attack I fired one shot, hitting it in the neck, both dogs had a change of heart and ran off. This occured in central Phoenix, I called the PD to inform them that I had shot at a attacking dog, the reply was, I did the right thing and they noted I called in, in case there were reports of shots fired in the area.

45acpForMe

imported post

We had two incidents before I started OC so my bare hands would have had to do.

The first was after my first child was born we started taking stroller walks in the evening. We walked around a van parked on the street and when we came around the end of the van there were two full size Dobermans barking and snarling at us. My wife had the stroller and my 2 week old daughter so I went forward between them and the dogs. I noticed then that both dogs belonging to the woman gardening in her flower bed, were outside their invisible fence. Both dogs didn't retreat until the owner called them back which makes me wonder how worthless was the invisible fence and collars. The fact that there were two dogs unnerved me because I didn't fear engaging one and trying to snap its neck (yes I know unlikely) but the second might have attacked my family while I was busy.

The second incident was a house rented two doors down had friends visit every now and then and they brought their Rottweiler. So we would be playing at the swingset in our own backyard when all of a sudden the dog would come into our yard. I think it happened twice and each time we were able to calmly walk into the house. I complained to the owner of the house each time but didn't call animal control. Luckily they moved shortly after that.

I carry even when I cut grass now and am better prepared.