• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just drew on a dog...

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am a dog owner, We have German Shepherds.We only have one right now, a small female named "Magic" she isSolid Black, Recently adopted from a shepherd rescue agency. We have another German Shepherd scheduled to join our home the end of this month named "Titan" he isa Pure White male, 2 yrs old at about 90 pounds, another rescue dog.

A real simple way to stop a German Shepherd if it gets your hand:
This may leave a few marks on you, but it will not kill or injure the dog. If they get your hand, make a fist and try to jam it down their throat. Your fist will wedge against the roof of their mouth and lower jaw stopping those teeth from penetrating, it also chokes the dog and it will back off, and run if you use this technique.

My last 2 German Shepherds (Bear& Wollfe, R.I.P) were acquired as pup's, as I was at a friends farm the neighbors rottweilers came over and started attacking my 3 month old baby shepherds. I got right into those rottweilers with a kick to the chest, so they would focus their attention on me, Yelling in the most authoritative voice you can muster, start screaming at them, Say words like; DOWN, SIT, and HALT and raise your arms up and act like a total psycho.
If the dogs are still aggressive, let them have whatever you got to stop the impending attack. I stopped the 2 rotties from hurting my pups by redirection and yelling commands and advancing on them with my arms up. They quickly lied down and stopped. I was ready to spray them if they would not have stopped the attack. Then the owner finally came and took a swing at me for kicking his dog, he quickly got sprayed, but the dogs did not.

Never ever ever run from a dog, you may trigger an attack by doing so. Stand up and yell, show them you are in control of the situation. I can honestly say the only dog that ever bit me in my 44 years of having and being around dogs has been the little yappy bastards that I could drop-kick for a good 45 yards and make a field goal.
Back away slowly and never turn your back on them, avoid eye contact, that is seen as an act of aggression by anupset dog, turn you head, and watch out of the corners of your eyes, but stay looking as large as you can to them. Many dogswill decide you are too big to tangle with if you do not show fear.

Some shepherds may have undergone "Schutzhund" or "Mondio-ring"training, they are trained for a type of protection and guarding.
Do not put your arm out to fend off a dog, the trained ones will see that as an offer for them to grab it. Some dogs are trained for an arm grab, some go for the face, some go for the crotch. But the people who take the time and investment to train their dogs, are not the ones that let them run free either. They have too much time & money tied up in the dog for something like that to happen.

You are better off using a chemical spray than trying to beat a dog with a baton or ASP, The dog may just be protecting the ownerschildren from a stranger, Dogs are very protective of their handlers naturally, How would you feel if you killed a child's dog because it was protecting the child.

Obvious feral dogs are a different story, But please be considerate of peoples pets. Does it have a collar, is it well-groomed. Or is it ratty looking and dirty.

When I get my white shepherd, depending on his attitude, he may get some further protection training along with agility. The female is in a agility training now, but she is not a protection dog by any means. But she scares the coyotes away very well.

45acpForMe

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
How would you feel if you killed a child's dog because it was protecting the child.
I understand common sense but protection for my 2-month old daughter sitting defenseless in a stroller comes first. I didn't care if the dog died that day even though the owner was in the yard nearby. I too am a dog owner (a yippy little thing) ;)

buster81

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
The dog may just be protecting the ownerschildren from a stranger, Dogs are very protective of their handlers naturally, How would you feel if you killed a child's dog because it was protecting the child.

The rest of your post sounds like good information to me.

I assume you meant the part above to be applicable only on the property of the dog's handler.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

buster81 wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
The dog may just be protecting the ownerschildren from a stranger, Dogs are very protective of their handlers naturally, How would you feel if you killed a child's dog because it was protecting the child.

The rest of your post sounds like good information to me.

I assume you meant the part above to be applicable only on the property of the dog's handler.

yes, pretty much. I apologize for not being more clear on that detail.

I just had someone elses german Shepherd get agressive with me last nightduringourtraining session. The dog is a large female, owned by a female in her 50's. the dog is the boss in that relationshipdue topoor training and handling.

I walked by calmly and the dog charged me, the leash came out of the owners hand, I raised my arms and yelled at the dog, it stood it's ground, So I advanced on the dog, yelled louderand it turned and ran back to its owner. Some dogs are justvery protective of their humans. My Shepherds alway placed themselves between me and a stranger, it was not taught behavior, just instinctual for many of them.

rmansu2

imported post

I didn't actually draw, but came close.

The wife recently was told by her doctor she needed to walk at least thirty minutes a day. Which means I also have to walk thirty minutes a day.

The other night, around 9:30, we were walking down the road that parallels ours which is about a 1/4 mile long with few houses, new construction neighborhood. We had made it to the end and were on our way back when we heard something off in the distance that seemed to be getting closer, fast. My wife, who doesn't like the fact that I carry my Ruger P95 nearly everywhere I go, grabbed me and basically positioned me between her and what ever it may be. Safety always off, I reached for my pistol as I focused the beam of my flashlight into the 4ft high grass. Almost instantly a mix breed, pitbull-something, shoots out of the grass:shock:and stops 5ft from us.

I realized he was just curios, wagging his tail and sniffing around, so I loosened up a bit. But from that point on my wife has not commented or even made a face at the fact that I carry because she now understands it's not a fashion statement or a fad another tool that I may or may not need.:D

david.ross

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Some shepherds may have undergone "Schutzhund" or "Mondio-ring"training, they are trained for a type of protection and guarding.
Do not put your arm out to fend off a dog, the trained ones will see that as an offer for them to grab it. Some dogs are trained for an arm grab, some go for the face, some go for the crotch. But the people who take the time and investment to train their dogs, are not the ones that let them run free either. They have too much time & money tied up in the dog for something like that to happen.

You are better off using a chemical spray than trying to beat a dog with a baton or ASP, The dog may just be protecting the ownerschildren from a stranger, Dogs are very protective of their handlers naturally, How would you feel if you killed a child's dog because it was protecting the child.
Sometimes trained police dogs escape. I'm reminded of a story from leerburg where a dog escaped, then clamped on to a child in a nearby park. They beamed the dog several times before the dog would even budge to let go.

I don't give a damn whether or not the child nor family like the dog is dead. If they were so concerned about their dog, they shouldn't have let it run around freely. I'll readily plant one in to a dog's head if it should nip at my ankles or attempt to harm me or my pack in any way.

I had an incident on the beach where a dog pack(3 dogs) attacked my leashed dog was almost bitten, which I didn't have *any* weapons on me. I told Sherrie at the pound who is the operating person as an animal control officer along with the acting animal control officer at the Homer Police department I'd defend myself.

I will NOT tolerate loose aggressive dogs.

When people see me on the beach and their dog is loose, they run extremely fast to leash their dog.