• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got kicked out of Walmart

Sam

Are these really 2 different women, or are you just switching titles?
If they're different women, you might have more trouble than just dealing with idiot cops.

Yes I meant "our" and not the pots blowing up, the glass. Well she was worried about cracking/scratching etc. I was exaggerating slightly for comical sake. (I know you didn't ask about that but wanted to explain anyway.)

To answer your question no. I have one woman. I sometimes call her my wife for simplicity sake. We have been together for over four years. She had 4 children before she met me. I fell in love with everyone. Our relationship is that of a husband and wife, just no tax benefits or ring...yet.

Update: Just got home, going to take the kids to school soon. I was thinking if I can get the Officer's Sergeant to educate him (or everyone of the Officers at GCPD) on the matter of open carrying and GAttTotP and provide me with a copy of the memo this would be more effective than filing a complaint that goes nowhere. I think there might be a good chance of her going for this if I politely say the alternative would be filing a complaint. Also I think less of a chance of some "coincidental" meet ups with Officer Nice Guy.
What do you think? Isn't that what we are going for here? I think if some education or reminder were to be given to the officers, change would be more likely to happen.
I think I will call her again today before sending the email complaint to Sgt. Brafford.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I was thinking if I can get the Officer's Sergeant to educate him (or everyone of the Officers at GCPD) on the matter of open carrying and GAttTotP and provide me with a copy of the memo this would be more effective than filing a complaint that goes nowhere.

What makes you believe that they *want* to be educated? Seems to me that the most effective way of "educating" them is to file a complaint through official channels.

hydroxside

I think education for the officer would most likely be the best out come for everyone involved.then u wouldn't have to worry about backlash from him or the GSPD you know.

Sam

I don't think the Officers want to be. I just think if I were their Sergeant and I had an opportunity to avoid a complaint against one of my men by simply typing up a memo I would take it. But who knows? So far the vote is 1-1. LOL!

I am trying to find the computer paper amidst all the unpacked stuff still in the garage. I'm going to send the FOIA today either way. The cold air in there is keeping me awake so far. Can't believe it hit like 17 last night. It's strange seeing it that cold but still no snow. Still not used to it yet. (Chicago born and raised)

hydroxside

I don't know its a tough situation if it would have been me I would ask the officer to show me the law where it says I can't. OC in public and in walmart and I would have gone from their

razor_baghdad

What makes you believe that they *want* to be educated? Seems to me that the most effective way of "educating" them is to file a complaint through official channels.

Agree.

Officer Nice Guy with 19 years on the force would more than likely wad your complaint up and 86 it. The complaint does not only benefit you but the rest of us legally carrying RTKBA 2A folks.

ONG and his dept need a $$$ amount lesson so he doesn't 'take the law into his own hands' again.

2cents.

Kloutier

Not sure if this has been said or not but I sent wal-mart an email the other day and got this response.

Dear Jacob,

In regards to your inquiry:

* There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

* As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Customer Care

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

Can I have the official Wal-mart Policy on open carry and conceal carry. Most I have heard is The store will follow state law. If it's legal to carry a firearm in that state then its not against company policies to carry in the store. However some stores are telling customers that its a company wide ban on all firearms.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this email in error destroy it
immediately.

*** Walmart
Confidential ***

smlawrence

Wow that is an awsome letter could u email that to me my email is hydroxside@gmail.com if u can thanks I would love to have that in wrighting the next time I get stopped at walmart by an LEO.

They would more than likely think that the letter you are carrying around with you is faked. Carrying around a letter for a store that you might occasionally visit just in case you are approached by a LEO would really have them wondering.

muccione

They would more than likely think that the letter you are carrying around with you is faked. Carrying around a letter for a store that you might occasionally visit just in case you are approached by a LEO would really have them wondering.

+1

If you know you did nothing wrong dont worry...

Sam

Sgt. Bess called me back and she sounded like ONG's twin sister. She claimed all it takes to be guilty of GAttTotP is for a person to become frightened. She explained that because it was unusally crowded the Officer was well within his rights to do what he did. She also said that it was OK for him to search and disarm like he did because it was "a Terry stop. That's how our officers are trained."
After she started to lecture about open carry and how dangerous it is I used the first opportunity I could to end the conversation. I told her "I understand what you are telling me, thank you for calling me back." Then I simultaniously hit the Off button on my phone and the Send button on my complaint email to Sgt. Brafford. I have a strong feeling none of this is ever going to amount to anything with out a Lawyer but I can't just do nothing.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I think it's time to stop begging the Police Department to allow you to file a complaint, and add to the list their refusal to accept a written complaint, add Bessy's behavior and lies too.

Then send the letter to your attorney instead, since the Police are clearly refusing to obey the law in virtually every way they can.

The Thin Blue Line of Constitutional Hatred is hard to penetrate. You may simply have to print out your letter and deliver it in person with video rolling, or they'll deny it ever happened. Because of the stink you've already raised, expect any recordings or documentation to have already mysteriously 'gone missing.' But do the FOIA anyway, there was a link on how to do that on the previous page I think.

You have witnesses, and Wal Mart's standing policy that it's OK for you to carry in their stores to add to it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
She claimed all it takes to be guilty of GAttTotP is for a person to become frightened.

I wonder what the attorney that the department has on retainer would think about ol' Bessy's comments...

She explained that because it was unusally crowded the Officer was well within his rights to do what he did.

1) Officers don't have Rights.
2) There is no exception in the law that says the 2nd or 4th Amendment disappear merely because a few more customers show up at Wal Mart. I am willing to bet Wal Mart, or it's volume of shoppers, is not even mentioned in any statute law, anywhere, ever.

She also said that it was OK for him to search and disarm like he did because it was "a Terry stop. That's how our officers are trained."

Terry vs Ohio clearly outlines the concept of Reasonable, Articulable Suspicion that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed. It is very, painfully obvious that this condition was not met, and if in deed this so-called 'Officer" conducted a Terry Stop, he did so illegally.

After she started to lecture about open carry and how dangerous it is I used the first opportunity I could to end the conversation. I told her "I understand what you are telling me, thank you for calling me back." Then I simultaniously hit the Off button on my phone and the Send button on my complaint email to Sgt. Brafford.

Clearly, they refuse to be educated when they try to educate YOU on matters they are absolutely wrong about.

If you really want to get their attention, contact their defense. Every PD I know of has some kind of lawyer on retainer. Some are private, some are on the payroll. But they've got someone they go to for advise and guidance. Get that guy's phone number, give him a ring.... this can be dangerous, and if you can't keep your mouth shut, you could really screw yourself.

Get the FIOA first, or you can be 100% certain that all evidence will then be destroyed, if it hasn't been already. He'll know exactly how to cover their asses and will do so methodically and precisely.

I have a strong feeling none of this is ever going to amount to anything with out a Lawyer but I can't just do nothing.

It's not just a feeling, it's true. You've tried more than once and they've taken the "Screw you, Citizen" approach every time. It's not a feeling or a hunch anymore, it's a fact. They have chosen to be your Enemy, don't for one second forget that.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

At which point they cease to be good men.

sultan62

If she claimed it was a Terry stop, you've already won. The rest is just follow through, so make it count.

bwhunter65

Remember when that guy up in ashville got arrested when he showed up at the airport.
Joseph McVey, 23, is charged going armed in terror of the public, a
misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith.
Airport police saw McVey get out of a car about 2 p.m. in the rental car
return lot and he had a gun, Smith said. He was taken into custody
immediately and was being held at the Buncombe County jail.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread564970/pg1
Any way charges were dropped he was finally charged for having lights on his car and a city ordinance about carry weapons on city property.

Sam

Remember when that guy up in ashville got arrested when he showed up at the airport.
Joseph McVey, 23, is charged going armed in terror of the public, a
misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith.
Airport police saw McVey get out of a car about 2 p.m. in the rental car
return lot and he had a gun, Smith said. He was taken into custody
immediately and was being held at the Buncombe County jail.

His Springfield XD was destroyed by the Police department if I remember correctly...

I don't have a Lawyer.

I misspelled simultaneously. =(

I am mailing the FOIA in the morning registered mail.

Sam

Sam,

We have received your complaint so you do not need to look any further on how to file one of Officer Woods. Thanks for brining your concerns and this incident to my attention. Rest assured, the case will be thoroughly investigated and reviewed by the Chief of Police. We will be back in touch with you regarding this matter.

Sergeant Reid Brafford
Professional Standards Unit
Gastonia Police Department
PO Box 1748 Gastonia, NC 28053
200 East Long Ave. Gastonia, NC 28054
Office (704) 866-6935
Fax (704) 842-5186
www.GastoniaPD.org

sultan62

Sam,

We have received your complaint so you do not need to look any further on how to file one of Officer Woods. Thanks for brining your concerns and this incident to my attention. Rest assured, the case will be thoroughly investigated and reviewed by the Chief of Police. We will be back in touch with you regarding this matter.

Sergeant Reid Brafford
Professional Standards Unit
Gastonia Police Department
PO Box 1748 Gastonia, NC 28053
200 East Long Ave. Gastonia, NC 28054
Office (704) 866-6935
Fax (704) 842-5186
www.GastoniaPD.org

I would say give them a week, and contact Sgt. Brafford directly. If you can't get in touch with him, email/call him every day for the next week, then go to his superior officer.

If he gives you a time frame, contact him accordingly.