• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just tuned up the Security guard here!!

Aaron1124

imported post

A lot of apartment security are "in house" meaning they are employed by the complex itself. There are some that hire contracting agencies though, and for liability reasons, most contracting agencies require that their officers get some sort of guard card.

deanf

imported post

There are some that hire contracting agencies though, and for liability reasons, most contracting agencies require that their officers get some sort of guard card.

State issued licenses are required for guards working for security companies under RCW 18.170.

Batousaii

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Hard to tell if Dean is being sarcastic or not, but you don't even need to have a guard card to work security. A lot of companies just require it for liability reasons.

If it's an individual working for a private establishment, as in they hired him directly, then no he doesn't need a guard card. HOWEVER, If he is working for a guard company, and the establishment hires one of those guards (subcontracted) then yes they do need a card, and in that case Dean would be correct. Look at the patch on his shoulder, if it says "This Place appartments" - then he dont need the card. .. If it says "Security Company X" - then he does.

Batousaii

imported post

deanf wrote:
There are some that hire contracting agencies though, and for liability reasons, most contracting agencies require that their officers get some sort of guard card.

State issued licenses are required for guards working for security companies under RCW 18.170.
Yeap - there it is (My Bad, not reading everything) - Pre coffee ---

DEROS72

imported post

It is a security firm hired by the complex.I have already complained to his boss.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
It is a security firm hired by the complex.I have already complained to his boss.

I seem to recall from previous posts that you are on the good side of the apt manager correct?

A complaint to them may go farther than a complaint to the security company folks. You aren't their "customer", the complex is and when the customer complains, it is more likely to have an impact. Especially if you believe he may be working for the problem element "on the side".

j2l3

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Hard to tell if Dean is being sarcastic or not, but you don't even need to have a guard card to work security. A lot of companies just require it for liability reasons.

Actually, if you work for a contract company, you MUST be licensed by the state and carry your license at all times whgile on duty.

If you work directly for the company you are providing security for, you are not required to be licensed. This particular security guard is contracted and MUST be licensed.

Aaron1124

imported post

deanf wrote:

Yeah I knew private security companies need their guards to get them. What I meant was that the reason is most likely due to liability. That law actually helps protect them.

In the case of a security officer employed by a contracting agency is sued for having to use some sort of force with a weapon, then the company will have the claim that he is certified and has undergone training in order to get his certification. Looks much better than having absolutely no professional training.

Mainsail

imported post

Sometimes you just get tired of suffering ignorant people. The last time (or one of the last times, it's been so many I forget) that some low level employee at Cabela's told me I had to check in my pistol I just looked at him and said, "No, I don't."

Some days that's the best they'll get from me.

gsx1138

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Sometimes you just get tired of suffering ignorant people. The last time (or one of the last times, it's been so many I forget) that some low level employee at Cabela's told me I had to check in my pistol I just looked at him and said, "No, I don't."

Some days that's the best they'll get from me.

Do they allow OC at Cabela's?

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
For everyone but Mailsail.
Maybe its because his entire wardrobe consists of this shirt in various colors...

123737072v5_350x350_Front_Color-Black.jpg

@

FE427TP

imported post

deanf wrote:
Next time demand to see his Washington State security guard's license.

He's required to have one and to display it to any person upon demand. Failure to is a gross misdemeanor.

congrats, but that's all but worthless since he has until an officer asks to get it on his person...
[size=RCW 10.31.100][/size] [size=Arrest without warrant.][/size]
A police officer having probable cause to believe that a person has committed or is committing a felony shall have the authority to arrest the person without a warrant. A police officer may arrest a person without a warrant for committing a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor only when the offense is committed in the presence of the officer