• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just tuned up the Security guard here!!

deanf

imported post

A police officer may arrest a person without a warrant for committing a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor only when the offense is committed in the presence of the officer

But that would not preclude the guard from being charged with the offense. The officer will simply write a report, fill out a citation and instead of the suspect signing it, the officer will write "investigation" on the signature line and forward the whole packet to the prosecutor. Happens all the time. What you seem to believe is that misdemeanors can be committed all day long with no recourse unless an officer witnesses them. Not so.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

GreatWhiteLlama wrote:

123737072v5_350x350_Front_Color-Black.jpg

i need to wear one of these when i go out and OC

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
GreatWhiteLlama wrote:

[anti-police t-shirt pic]
i need to wear one of these when i go out and OC
I'd go with a freedom-oriented theme. Win more converts that way, I'm guessing.

FE427TP

imported post

deanf wrote:
A police officer may arrest a person without a warrant for committing a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor only when the offense is committed in the presence of the officer

But that would not preclude the guard from being charged with the offense. The officer will simply write a report, fill out a citation and instead of the suspect signing it, the officer will write "investigation" on the signature line and forward the whole packet to the prosecutor. Happens all the time. What you seem to believe is that misdemeanors can be committed all day long with no recourse unless an officer witnesses them. Not so.

And then unless it was videotaped the case is one persons word against another and lacking any evidence the prosecutor does nothing and more taxpayer money was wasted. Do you really think that more people are caught in their misdemeanors that get away with them every day? :quirky

deanf

imported post

"It's only illegal if you get caught" seems to rule the day . . . .

Every case is different and that's why officers and prosecutors have discretion.

Of course it's uklikely that a contract guard would be prosecuted for failure to display his license on demand, but demanding to see his license, and knowing the law behind the demand is a verbal tool to use against him and put him on the defensive.