• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife New Carry Regulations

mellio

imported post

Boolitsmith wrote:
Does this say that I can't use my .22 handgun to squirrel hunt?

I had to read that part a couple of times but I don't think that's what he trying to say. It is just written kinda funny.

boomer92266

imported post

the 22 is legal for any small game, handgun or rifle. the way the guide was writin it said i could'nt carry my 357 mag with me for protection, along with my 22 for squirrels. i was told in the begining that all firearms had to meet regs. of the game your hunting even if your not hunting with the handgun. but i called my senator he got in touch with the k.d.f.w.r. and it got straightened out, small game has no regulations that prevent me from open carry of my 357 and taking my 22 rifle at the same time. and since the 357 is legal for deer i can carry it along with my 308 for deer. my 308 is a single shot thats why i would like my pistol with me. however there is still a problem in the rules, if i bowhunted deeri can't open carry a gun with out a cdw permit. or if i'm deer hunting i can't open carry any gun that isn't legall for deer without a permit. the person i spoke to on the phone said they will discuss it next meeting but it would be next year if any changes are made. the place where it said about certainhanduns not legal for squirrel, it ment centerfire, i can carry my 357 for protection but i can't shoot small game with it, except coyotes groundhogs, or animals with a year round season.

Undertaker

imported post

Hotrod,

I had a disgruntledfisherman let me know at Yatesville Lake that I can't carry a weapon on a Corp of Engineers run property. I should have kept my mouth shut but couldn'thelp but ask"What the hell do you call that musky lure on the end of your line?" (btw have never seen a musky come out of Yatesville lake) Does somebody know something I don't about the Corp of Engineers reservoirs?

I threw this out a few weeks ago on the open discussion forum and only got 1 response. I'm glad to see some discussion on this matter.

Hellbilly

imported post

Be sure and ask Fish and Wildlife if they still cover up DUIs for their game wardens ?

Rumor has it that a game warden in western ky was picked up in Owensboro driving drunk and was given a free pass. He wasn`t allowed to keep driving but they just let someone come pick him up and nothing was ever charged. It is recorded on the dispatcher log books of the Ohio County Dispatch and he sure tired to get that wiped off the record.

It was a lot of years ago and he has retired but it shows what kind of dept. they operate.

They also pretty much refuse to allow any kind of firearms practice on the lands they control even though much of their funding comes from gun sales that are never even used for hunting.