• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kline, anti-gunners unveil AWB legislation SB 6396

Metalhead47

imported post

Got a pretty good reply from Rep. Norma Smith, 10th district. Little bit of political BS but she actually mentions our RTKBA is in the state Constitution as well.

Thank you for your email, and for taking the time to share your comments regarding Senate Bill 6396. This bill was referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee on January 13th and has not yet been scheduled for a public hearing. I oppose this type of legislation, as these regulations simply make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms - a right given to them through both our state and national constitutions. Public safety is at the heart of all we do as legislators. Our families and individuals deserve to feel safe and secure in their communities. We must focus our laws on the criminals, especially those who use firearms to commit their crimes, and keeping those who choose to abuse their freedoms off the streets. As your legislator, I will continue to advocate for tougher sentences, and do what I can to ensure that violent felons serve their full time. Placing more restrictions on the rights of law-abiding citizens is not the answer. Again, thank you for your comments. I will be certain to keep your comments in mind, and do hope you will keep in touch.

Dave Workman

imported post

ddprice wrote:
I have a thought. If what we are hearing is correct..ie unlikely to make it out of committee etc. What about taking action against the sponsors of the bill. Make a specific effort to not have them elected again. The fact that such a bill would even be put on the table should be grounds to pursue removing them from office.

Also---for those of you that may be on facebook, feel free to join our discussion there.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=253200574215

The sponsors are in bullet-proof districts, that's why.
They are just about elected for life, same as Baghdad Jim. Voters there would elect Charles Manson, so long as he had a 'D' behind his name.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
ddprice wrote:
I have a thought. If what we are hearing is correct..ie unlikely to make it out of committee etc. What about taking action against the sponsors of the bill. Make a specific effort to not have them elected again. The fact that such a bill would even be put on the table should be grounds to pursue removing them from office.

Also---for those of you that may be on facebook, feel free to join our discussion there.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=253200574215

The sponsors are in bullet-proof districts, that's why.
They are just about elected for life, same as Baghdad Jim. Voters there would elect Charles Manson, so long as he had a 'D' behind his name.
...and that swastika on his forehead would fit right in.....LOL

Tekman

imported post

[font="Cambria, serif"]From my Senate Critter Mike Hewitt

Rob, Thanks for writing in. We see gun bills every year. They make a lot of noise, but rarely do they advance through the legislative process; this bill doesn't even have a public hearing yet. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I can sure appreciate your advocacy (I'm an NRA member myself; even signed my name to an NRA amicus brief last year on pending case in another state). Needless to say, I do not and will not be supporting this bill. [font="Calibri, sans-serif"][/font] I am also sponsoring the following Joint Resolution of interest: SJM 8018 -- Claiming state sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment. [font="Consolas, monospace"][/font] If I can be of any further service, please do contact me. Regards, Mike
[/font]

Stretch

imported post

Tekman wrote:
[font="Cambria, serif"]From my Senate Critter Mike Hewitt

Rob, Thanks for writing in. We see gun bills every year. They make a lot of noise, but rarely do they advance through the legislative process; this bill doesn't even have a public hearing yet. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I can sure appreciate your advocacy (I'm an NRA member myself; even signed my name to an NRA amicus brief last year on pending case in another state). Needless to say, I do not and will not be supporting this bill. [font="Calibri, sans-serif"][/font] I am also sponsoring the following Joint Resolution of interest: SJM 8018 -- Claiming state sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment. [font="Consolas, monospace"][/font] If I can be of any further service, please do contact me. Regards, Mike
[/font]

Thanks Tekman! I spoke to Sen. Hewitt's secretary just a few minutes ago and she said Mike does NOT support garbage like this bill that infringes on our 2nd amendment rights.

Emails are great, phone calls are better, IMO.

Stretch

Tekman

imported post

Got this addendum.

Rob,

It's his bill, in his committee, and he hasn't even scheduled a hearing.
If he was serious, he would've pre-filed the bill and held a public hearing on day two of the legislative session.
They are seriously running out of time to do anything with that bill.
Remember, it would have to pass out of the Senate, out of the House, and survive a veto opportunity; there are numerous procedural hurdles and time cut-offs along the way. It may fall victim to the first cutoff, the Feb. 5th deadline.

We are watching this bill, as it has been consuming the time of all of our staffers.

Mike

Yaaaa for Sen. Hewitt

spike89

imported post

Sometimes I wonder if they float these outlandish anti-gun bills as a diversion from other nutty legislation they REALLY want to sneak through the system.
While the media (and us) are focused on this, are they quietly pushing through tax increases etc?
Another good place for bill info is at http://www.washingtonvotes.org

kito109654

imported post

As have many others, I contacted my local reps and received confirmation that they will not be supporting this bill.

Finally, this is going smoothly. I doubt we have anything to worry about short-term with this bill.

swatspyder

imported post

spike89 wrote:
Status update:

Jan 26 Scheduled for public hearing in the Senate Committee on Judiciary at 10:00 AM. (Subject to change)

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=6396&year=2010
So who is going to be able to make it and show up openly carrying their pistol? It is going to be in the John A. Cherberg Building. I have class during that time, but it's possible that I could miss that day, depending on what I have going on. :cry:

kito109654

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
spike89 wrote:
Status update:

Jan 26 Scheduled for public hearing in the Senate Committee on Judiciary at 10:00 AM. (Subject to change)

So who is going to be able to make it and show up openly carrying their pistol? It is going to be in the John A. Cherberg Building. I have class during that time, but it's possible that I could miss that day, depending on what I have going on. :cry:
We can OC in the capitol area?

swatspyder

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
swatspyder wrote:
spike89 wrote:
Status update:

We can OC in the capitol area?
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/28763.html

&

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=30759

attachment.php

kito109654

imported post

Right.For some reason I just associate the buildings with the "court" verbage in the RCW.Last summer, the only time I ever visited there, I was making a photography stop out of it with the girlfriend and we were being watched the whole time. It was very eerie. I believe it was a holiday so the place was empty except for the police or rent-a-cops that were there eyeing us.

Anyways, thanks for the links, and I remember seeing that picture. :)

Richard6218

imported post

I received an email today from NRA-ILA about this hearing. It so happens that other matters will take me to Tacoma this week, so a side-trip to Oly on Tuesday is pretty easily done. Here't the link to the message:

NRA-ILA_Alerts.UM.A.1.7124@ilaalerts.org

This contains a link to a map of the campus and some other tips about arrival time, etc.

Last week I contacted the offices of both my representatives in District 42 (Western Whatcom County), one Republican and one Dem, and my Senator, Dale Brandland. Brandland is the Republican Whip in the State Senate, and he is strongly opposed to this bill --- no problem there. Likewise with Doug Ericksen, the Republican Representative. When I called the office of the Democrat Kelli Linville I got a big runaround from the staffer, claiming she didn't have a position on it :question:because (1) it's a Senate bill, and (2) she hasn't had an opportunity to read it. When I pressed the question about her "general sense" of the issue there was NO RESPONSE. I just told the staffer to remind Ms. Linville what happened in Massachusetts last Tuesday :uhoh:

I'm looking forward to the visit to Oly. I'll have all my legal guns loaded.

PS: Thanks, Nathan, for the YouTube. That's a good 'un.