• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kop Busters

mkl

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
mkl wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
I've been reading some stories about how Mr. Cooper had it set up where CI's were calling the cops with information on his "grow operation".   Which makes more sense to me.

Can you show a source for that? I have been trying to find anything about it, and Mr. Cooper and the other people have been pretty tight lipped. I've heard interviews on FreeTalkLive and they definitely did NOT mention that Cooper "set up where CI'S were calling".
I am not saying they didn't, just saying you need to cite a source.
Of course freetalk didn't state that part of the story, they don't want the police to look good.   The story itself has very little facts in it. I have read many stories where people I know said the above. 

So are you saying there is no source for the thing you wrote? If you have "many stories" for where people said that, can you link to them? Thats all I want. I want to see if the people saying these thing have any credibility to them (ie: they are involved with this case and would have that information).
I personally have not seen anyone with any credibility saying that Cooper had CI's call on his behalf, so I want to see where you are getting this information.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nitrovic wrote:
marshaul wrote:
The criminality of a drug dealer is de facto, that of the LEO who arrests him de jure. Which violates the higher authority?

That is true for just about any crime. You do realize the police arrest people who violate the law correct?
False. The police may arrest, for example, a murderer without committing any crime against higher authority.

Devils Advocate

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
tito887 wrote:
I couldn't believe reading this story coming from Texas. Cops get caught which possibly could be a situation of police lying on affidavits to get probable cause.

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2008/Excop_Barry_Cooper_launches_Kop_Busters_1206.html
Soooo, where are the facts? So far, it's just "possibly" lying. A very serious charge, but there hasn't been a "charge". Just more of the same lying and "probablies".
Cooper's words quoted from the article:

"KopBusters rented a house in Odessa, Texas and began growing two small Christmas trees under a grow light similar to those used for growing marijuana," claims a release from NeverGetBusted.com "When faced with a suspected marijuana grow, the police usually use illegal FLIR cameras and/or lie on the search warrant affidavit claiming they have probable cause to raid the house.

Instead of conducting a proper investigationwhich usually leads to no probable cause, the Kops lie on the affidavit claiming a confidential informant saw the plants and/or the police could smell marijuana coming from the suspected house."

"The trap was set and less than 24 hours later, the Odessa narcotics unit raided the house only to find KopBuster's attorney waiting under a system of complex gadgetry and spy cameras that streamed online to the KopBuster's secret mobile office nearby.

SO ~~

I have to wonder who is being honest here.

Cooper wants us to believe that the cops did something improper and illegal and want us to know that "usually" the copsuse FLIR to illegally search homes to find grow operations.

Once they find a home using FLIR they pretend an informant told them they saw marijuana or they just happened to "smell" it while at the door.

OK ~~

My question is this

Why his place?

The house was "raided" in less than 24 hours of setting up.

Sohow did the police happen to allegedly use FLIR so quickly there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odessa%2C_Texas

Demographics

As of the census[1][/suP] of 2000, there were 90,943 people, 33,661 households, and 23,697 families residing in the city.

So the city has 33,661 homes and this means that every 24 hours the police need to drive down or fly over every home checking 23 homes a minute for a straight 24 hours non stop in order to catch Cooper's place illegally.

If they want fuel stops, bathroom breaks, or meal breaks they will have to check more homes per minute or get a second unit to help.

Then they have to do it again TOMORROW!!! If they do not check daily it means Cooper was VERY lucky to be found so quickly.

Depending on who you are and how gullible you can be.... you may "want" to believe Cooper because he is against cops.

I suspect Cooper did not want to wait that long after setting up. A few anonymous calls would actually start a proper investigation that ended up causing a search possibly based on something else. Maybe Cooper had people faking drug transactions at the door. Nobody really knows.

I have not seen anything yet that would allow the common man with any sense to make a proper and informeddecision.

We have a former narcotics cop that is out to help people hide illegal narcotics and expose alleged illegal police activity.

USE YOUR HEADS PEOPLE! YOU ARE BEING SUCKERED!!

mkl

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
Nobody really knows.

I have not seen anything yet that would allow the common man with any sense to make a proper and informed decision.
USE YOUR HEADS PEOPLE!  YOU ARE BEING SUCKERED!!

You are partially correct, no one except the people involved know what really happened. At this point only one half of the people involved are talking, so people are commenting based on their input. As soon as the other side (the police) reveal the search warrant and comment, we will have their side as well.
I think it is silly to say "No one knows" and then say "YOU ARE BEING SUCKERED". Really, we just aren't sure if we are being suckered yet, I think there's a difference.
If you have some citations that show I am being suckered, I am still looking for them. If not, your idle speculation that Cooper is lying, is just as speculative as the people saying the cops are corrupt.

Devils Advocate

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
SNIP Nobody really knows.

YOU ARE BEING SUCKERED!!
These two comments are contradictory.
NO citizen, I do not believe so. But I see your point.

Do YOU believe that in 24 hours they found his place without any assistance on Cooper's part?

Cooper clearly stated that the cops will "Lie about confidential informants to get a warrant"

yet........... This is what it is going to take to get his place checked out in less than 24 hours. I cannot believe that the police got lucky or used FLIR on all those homes. How bad is that city that they need to FLIR every house to find his?

This is where we are being suckered!!

I believe Cooper planted the word to draw the police in. They are not going to want to sit for months waiting to get some video.

I am ajust a common man but I can tell when something stinks.

mkl

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
Do YOU believe that in 24 hours they found his place without any assistance on Cooper's part?

Cooper clearly stated that the cops will "Lie about confidential informants to get a warrant"

yet........... This is what it is going to take to get his place checked out in less than 24 hours. I cannot believe that the police got lucky or used FLIR on all those homes. How bad is that city that they need to FLIR every house to find his?

I believe Cooper planted the word to draw the police in. They are not going to want to sit for months waiting to get some video.

I am a just a common man but I can tell when something stinks.

I agree it is suspicious. But I think your assumption that they would need to FLIR every house in a city is off. Maybe they are profiling and just FLIRing the "bad" parts of town. Or maybe instead of just FLIR they are watching power usage and only FLIRing places that have high power usage. Or maybe they just got lucky busting Cooper on the first day, and if they hadn't gotten them that day they would have gotten them a month from now. The fact is we don't know the facts.There are a whole lot of variables here.

I agree with you , that is it too early to know what happened. That means it is too early to know what happened.

The police (from what I've read) are not releasing the search warrant, so we don't know for sure. They will have to release it at some point. At this point, one side of the stories is doing interviews and releasing video, and the other side is silent. So of course it is good to keep a critical mind, but that's the only information we have to discuss at the moment.

nitrovic

imported post

mkl wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
mkl wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
I've been reading some stories about how Mr. Cooper had it set up where CI's were calling the cops with information on his "grow operation".   Which makes more sense to me.

Can you show a source for that? I have been trying to find anything about it, and Mr. Cooper and the other people have been pretty tight lipped. I've heard interviews on FreeTalkLive and they definitely did NOT mention that Cooper "set up where CI'S were calling".
I am not saying they didn't, just saying you need to cite a source.
Of course freetalk didn't state that part of the story, they don't want the police to look good.   The story itself has very little facts in it. I have read many stories where people I know said the above. 

So are you saying there is no source for the thing you wrote? If you have "many stories" for where people said that, can you link to them? Thats all I want. I want to see if the people saying these thing have any credibility to them (ie: they are involved with this case and would have that information).
I personally have not seen anyone with any credibility saying that Cooper had CI's call on his behalf, so I want to see where you are getting this information.

I have many sources actually. Why bother posting them, just like the original post here, none of it is fact. This post should never have been posted, it isn't fact.

mkl

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
I have many sources actually. Why bother posting them, just like the original post here, none of it is fact. This post should never have been posted, it isn't fact.

Please post them, I want to see the other side of the story.

nitrovic

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
SNIP  Nobody really knows.

YOU ARE BEING SUCKERED!!
These two comments are contradictory.
NO citizen, I do not believe so.  But I see your point.

I am a just a common man but I can tell when something stinks.

Of COURSE they didn't get lucky or use FLIR on all those homes. I've NEVER seen FLIR used. Mostly because most departments are more interested in harder drugs than weed. Furthermore, grow operations are that common. Certainly not common enough to just go around neighborhoods pointing FLIR at homes. It's obvious this Cooper guy has a bone to pick with the police (just like a certain ex-police officer on this site). Just like other stories that get taken as fact, this is what happened here. Look at the first page, a bunch of sheep don't even fully read the post and the word "possibly". It's not even a story.

nitrovic

imported post

mkl wrote:
nitrovic wrote:

Please post them, I want to see the other side of the story.

Actually, where is the "first" side of this story? The OP just posted Coopers story about "busting cops". Where is the real news story on this? Unless the warrant was sealed, it is available to public view at the court house. Journalist are very good at getting copies of the warrants.

mkl

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
It's obvious this Cooper guy has a bone to pick with the police (just like a certain ex-police officer on this site). Just like other stories that get taken as fact, this is what happened here..

Of course he has a bone to pick, Cooper said he did this because this particular department framed a girl by having an informant plant drugs on her. So...yes, he has a bone to pick with police. He admits it, and he says he did this act to show that they are corrupt.

"Unless the warrant was sealed, it is available to public view at the court house. Journalist are very good at getting copies of the warrants."

The news story posted said the police have refused to turn over the warrant.
"In 60 days, the police have to release the affidavit saying how they gained probable cause to raid the house"

Devils Advocate

imported post

mkl wrote:
I agree it is suspicious. But I think your assumption that they would need to FLIR every house in a city is off. Maybe they are profiling and just FLIRing the "bad" parts of town. Or maybe instead of just FLIR they are watching power usage and only FLIRing places that have high power usage. Or maybe they just got lucky busting Cooper on the first day, and if they hadn't gotten them that day they would have gotten them a month from now. The fact is we don't know the facts.There are a whole lot of variables here.

I agree with you , that is it too early to know what happened. That means it is too early to know what happened.

The police (from what I've read) are not releasing the search warrant, so we don't know for sure. They will have to release it at some point. At this point, one side of the stories is doing interviews and releasing video, and the other side is silent. So of course it is good to keep a critical mind, but that's the only information we have to discuss at the moment.
Correct... so many maybes.

Like maybe Cooper planted the tips to get his place searched.

We do not know. I am too smart to believe what I am reading so far. It is entertaining but I will not condemn the police just yet based on the words or a former badcop who now uses drugs.

We have a credibility issue at play here. One guy is out to make money while the police are out to make arrests.

I do not condone illegal police activity!!!! But I have no proof that has happened just yet.

Devils Advocate

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Of COURSE they didn't get lucky or use FLIR on all those homes. I've NEVER seen FLIR used. Mostly because most departments are more interested in harder drugs than weed. Furthermore, grow operations are that common. Certainly not common enough to just go around neighborhoods pointing FLIR at homes. It's obvious this Cooper guy has a bone to pick with the police (just like a certain ex-police officer on this site). Just like other stories that get taken as fact, this is what happened here. Look at the first page, a bunch of sheep don't even fully read the post and the word "possibly". It's not even a story.
Ya, That is how I see it so far. I DOUBT they just got lucky. In 24 hours they found his place? Come On!!

Reading power meters one at a time? FLIR for a grow operation?? Do they have that many in that city they need to FLIR every home in the "bad section of town"???

Who is the former officer here that is like Cooper with a bone to pick?

That should be proof that former employees will do anything to make their old job look bad. You leave on bad terms and you want PAYBACK!!!!

mkl

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:

If Cooper did call in anonymously and say "I saw drugs at a house on 123 main street" do you think with just that information the cops should be able to enter your house, guns drawn?

"That should be proof that former employees will do anything to make their old job look bad. You leave on bad terms and you want PAYBACK!!!!"

You have a strange definition of "Proof"

Devils Advocate

imported post

mkl wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:

If Cooper did call in anonymously and say "I saw drugs at a house on 123 main street" do you think with just that information the cops should be able to enter your house, guns drawn?
I am not saying he did anything. I suspect he planted the word there was something going on to draw the policein. No clue what the police did once they learned about the house.

But I have not seen the affidavit yet to see why they were there.

Should an "Anonymous" call allow the police into my house?Hellno!!!

But if they obtain a warrant and they are going into a drug house I would expect them to use their guns. I have seen news stories about drug dealers protecting their supply with guns.

People here go off "half-cocked" to easily. We have not seen all the information yet to prove any wrong doing by anyone.

I am not even sure why this in in a open carry board. This board kinda seems like a open carry/cop reporting forum.

mkl

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
People here go off "half-cocked" to easily. We have not seen all the information yet to prove any wrong doing by anyone.

That's strange, that's the exact same point I was trying to make to you.

Sheriff

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
It's obvious this Cooper guy has a bone to pick with the police (just like a certain ex-police officer on this site).
You mean like a former officer who has a transcript on his desk right now where a judge calls a whole band of cops liars to their face, in open court, while still on record? And a second transcript where yet another judge tells two groups of cops that their testimony is so diametrically opposed to each other that he doesn't know which group to believe, in open court, while still on record?

I guess judges have bones to pick with cops too? :lol: