• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kop Busters

jmlefler

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
marshaul wrote:
As a little aside: contemplation of this inherent tension, so magnified by external authority as it is, often causes me to sway further in favor of anarchism over the libertarian minarchism I normally espouse.

I have noticed this disturbing tendency in my own thinking, as well. The implications of this are steep, which, I think, is one of the reasons many people avoid learning and thinking about this stuff. Once you come to a certain point, you realize that you may now be a radical and your honesty demands that you conduct yourself accordingly. It is around this time that friends and family wonder if you've become some kind of nut. Which is why I avoid discussing politics at work and in many social situations.

That said, I can't make the complete jump from minarchism to rational anarchism. I find too many reasons not to. Topic for anther thread maybe...
Welcome to the journey of personal existentialism. Oh the anguish, oh the despair...

Just who is John Galt?

Carry on

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jmlefler wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
marshaul wrote:
As a little aside: contemplation of this inherent tension, so magnified by external authority as it is, often causes me to sway further in favor of anarchism over the libertarian minarchism I normally espouse.

I have noticed this disturbing tendency in my own thinking, as well. The implications of this are steep, which, I think, is one of the reasons many people avoid learning and thinking about this stuff. Once you come to a certain point, you realize that you may now be a radical and your honesty demands that you conduct yourself accordingly. It is around this time that friends and family wonder if you've become some kind of nut. Which is why I avoid discussing politics at work and in many social situations.

That said, I can't make the complete jump from minarchism to rational anarchism. I find too many reasons not to. Topic for anther thread maybe...
Welcome to the journey of personal existentialism.  Oh the anguish, oh the despair...

Just who is John Galt?

Carry on
I made a thread hoping to continue on this line of discussion, although little headway has been made. :)

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/19582.html

Tomahawk

imported post

jmlefler wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Welcome to the journey of personal existentialism. Oh the anguish, oh the despair...

Just who is John Galt?

Carry on
LOL! Rand didn't believe in drinking alcohol. I suffer from no such handicap.

Tomahawk

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
So whatmarshaul seems to besaying is that citizens should be allowed to make a buck any way they can as long as it is not done in an aggressive way.

I should also be allowed to steal unattended property from cars and sell it to others willing to buy stolen goods. Nobody is hurt and this is done between two consenting adults.
I have been quietly skimming over your posts since you showed up with your vast knowledge, and I've come to the conclusion that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Stealing property is aggression against a person's right to property (as in "life, liberty, and property"), thus invalidating your argument.

Normally, I would assume that the poster knows this and is just trying to argue, especially with a name like "Devil's Advocate", but in your case I think you honestly don't understand the connection between private property and a person's life and liberty.

I would suggest you read John Locke's 2nd Treatise on Government, one of Jefferson's sources of ideas. Even if you don't believe any of it, you'll at least know where the rest of us are coming from.