• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La. open carry walk, march etc???

estcrh

imported post

Gun advocates wear holstered weapons and bring machine gun to rally in Maine park
By David Sharp - Associated Press | Published: 04/26/10 at 6:31 PM

About 75 gun rights supporters — most of them wearing side arms — gathered in a public park to exercise their Second Amendment rights Sunday, enjoying hamburgers and hot dogs as joggers trotted by and a small group of demonstrators gathered nearby.

Shane Belanger, a University of Southern Maine student who organized the display of guns, which included a machine gun mounted on a jeep, said the aim wasn’t to frighten anyone. Instead, he said, the goal was simply to show that people have a constitutional right to bear arms.

“A right unexercised is a right lost,” Belanger said as the gas grill warmed up on a sunny afternoon. “We’re law-abiding citizens, just having a barbecue.”

Dave Nelson, of Gorham, brought his restored olive drab 1951 Willys jeep with an operable .30-caliber machine gun mounted in the back and a box of ammunition. He said he doesn’t like what’s happening in the country when it comes to work ethic and government intrusion into people’s lives.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/04/26/g...and-bring-machine-gun-to-rally-in-maine-park/
from>>>

georg jetson

imported post

barf wrote:
Slidell Jim wrote:
I was told by the Park reservation folks that "a full list of prohibited items and activities are available on the signage at the entrance to the park."
lol. Yes, let that sign be your determining factor.
A bit more helpfull...

I can't find an ordinance attempting to regulate Art 1 Sec 11 in Slidell... If Slidell is determined to be the hosting city for the OC activity, I would recommend others check the code themselves... here's the link...

http://library3.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=11576&doc_action=whatsnew#

CaptainDan

imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
Getting with the "family theme", She made mention to "inflatables" ... the things kids play on, super jump, bouncers or whatever.... That if we wanted to rent one and have it setup at the park, that we could, just that we would be required to rent out one of the gazebos and provide our own generator, as the power available at the park would not push the blower motor for a continuous time.

EDIT: I'm really going to make an effort to go by there this afternoon to see about any signs.
EXCELLENT

estcrh

imported post

San Francisco
Small groups of armed Californians have been turning up at cafes and coffee shops with handguns holstered to their belts to raise awareness about gun rights and what they call unfair limits on concealed weapon permits.

Skip to next paragraph
Photo Gallery
The debate over gun rights
Related Stories

A constitutional right to hunt? Voters in three states to decide.
More guns equal more crime? Not in 2009, FBI crime report shows.
The loosely organized “Bay Area Open Carry Movement” will gather in the Presidio, a national park in San Francisco, on Saturday, just days after a new law took effect allowing weapons to be carried in national parks and wildlife refuges.

David LaTour, a student at San Jose State University, has been carrying his Springfield XD 9mm handgun on his hip for about a month now and plans on attending the event, in which gun rights advocates will be picking up trash in the park and, they hope, talking to anyone interested in state gun laws.

In Pictures: The debate over gun rights

California allows its citizens to openly display and carry unloaded weapons without a permit, but many gun advocates complain that the state is too restrictive when it comes to issuing licenses to carry concealed weapons.

“I looked into concealed carry permits, but unless you’re well-connected it’s impossible to obtain,” says Mr. LaTour. However, he says, “I personally prefer open carry because of the visual deterrent.” (Monitor report: “Cities’ gun restrictions begin to topple”)

Carrying unloaded guns is legal

Safety is the No. 1 reason that many open carry advocates give for displaying their weapons. While they can’t legally carry loaded guns, they can have ammunition as long as it’s not attached to their weapons.

“You can have a functioning loaded weapon in two seconds,” says LaTour.

While the gun owner meet-ups around the Bay Area have been raising awareness about the state’s gun laws, they have also been raising eyebrows. After the groups met at Peet’s Coffee and Tea and the California Pizza Kitchen, both banned weapons from their premises.

Starbucks has also been a favorite spot for open carry groups, prompting the anti-gun violence group the Brady Campaign to launch a petition to convince the coffee chain to ban guns from its shops.

“There is a growing ‘open carry’ movement among gun activists, who seek to make a political statement by gathering in coffee shops, restaurants and other public locations with their guns openly on display,” the Brady Campaign said in a statement. “Given the absence of meaningful regulation of open carry in the vast majority of states, more and more Americans will be faced with the intimidation and danger of confronting guns in public places.”

So far Starbucks hasn’t kicked out its gun-carrying customers, prompting praise from open carry advocates.

Police departments uneasy

Bay Area police department have also expressed concern about the growing open carry movement. (Monitor report: "Ft. Hood rampage raises questions about gun control")

In a September 2009 memo to his officers, Sunnyvale, Calif., Deputy Police Chief Mark Stivers wrote, “To be very frank, I do not like the fact people can carry an unloaded gun in a holster in plain view in public. However the law says they can and we uphold the law.”

Nathan Wolanyk, an open carry advocate from San Diego, says the movement is as much about informing the public as it is about educating police departments who, he says, are often unaware of the unloaded open carry law.

Deputy Chief Stivers cautioned his officers, who are allowed to inspect unconcealed weapons to ensure they are unloaded, adhere to the law because open carry proponents “may want to provoke an incident” to bring a law suit against the city.

But Mr. Wolanyk and others say their movement is largely about changing perceptions about gun ownership.

“If all you see are guns in the media used in a violent manner, that’s your perception of guns,” he says. “When we’re out in public with them, we’re interacting with the public in a very nice manner. We’re showing that these are tools that are used for self defense.”
From>>> http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0227/Guns-at-Starbucks-Pushing-the-right-to-bear-arms-in-public

Bill to Outlaw Open Carry in California to be Considered on Wednesday, May 12

Friday, May 07, 2010

Please Contact the Members of the Assembly Appropriations Committee Today!

On Wednesday, May 12, the Assembly Appropriations Committee will consider Assembly Bill 1934.

AB1934 is a blatant attack on the self-defense rights of law-abiding Californians. Simply put, this legislation would outlaw the open carrying of a handgun for self-defense.

NRAMARINE

imported post

Slidell sounds good to me. Especially if we can use John Slidell Park, it's got lots of room and is relatively close to the freeway.

Slidell Jim

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
l... If Slidell is determined to be the hosting city for the OC activity

Dont let me hijack this into my city.I would not be opposed to the Southshore or Hammond or Baton Rouge; I'm just biased toward Slidell.

AND I have a really tough schedule (work and family).... regardless of a good plan and planning in advance, and cross checking GFSZ, park rules, City ordinances, ect ect. I might not be able to attend any event, on any given day, with little notice (less than 24hours) due to the nature of my work.

So don't let me hijack it just because I made the first suggestion on a location.

CaptainDan

imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
Getting with the "family theme", She made mention to "inflatables" ... the things kids play on, super jump, bouncers or whatever.... That if we wanted to rent one and have it setup at the park, that we could, just that we would be required to rent out one of the gazebos and provide our own generator, as the power available at the park would not push the blower motor for a continuous time.

EDIT: I'm really going to make an effort to go by there this afternoon to see about any signs.

Man you are on to somthing here, there are enough of us that the shared cost of rental shuold be small. Good way to bring in the families too. Kudos.

As far as location, I live near N.O. but would drive an hour or 2 in any directioin for this.

Work schedule, as we get closer, let me know, I work offshore so I am gone for 2 weeks at a time but I have an entire week off.I can post my schedule for consideration as I would Realy like to attend.

LA Confederate

imported post

Here's a thought....South Park in Denham Springs (no relation to the one in Colorado) has no rental fees. You can reserve it on a first come first served basis. It's just south of the interstate and Bass Pro.

Only thing is, I don't know if they are firearm friendly or not.

estcrh

imported post

Parks Rules & Regulations

The New Iberia Recreation Department maintains seventeen (17) parks that cover over one hundred ten (110) acres of The City of New Iberia. Parks are open to the public free of charge everyday from 6:00 am to 10:30 pm. While enjoying the many opportunities the park system has to offer, please obey park regulations. Before you go, you should know:

Dogs must be on a leash.
Motorized vehicles are not permitted off roadways and are to park in designated areas only. Absolutely no driving or parking on grass.
15 mph speed limit.
No discharging firearms, sling shots, bow and arrows.
No damaging, defacing, destroying, removing city property.
No disorderly conduct, intoxicating condition, threatening, indecent or immoral act or gestures allowed.
No swimming outside of designated swimming areas.
It is unlawful to be in a park after 10:30 pm without written permission.
Littering, dumping, firearms, golfing, and excessive noise are not permitted.
Bike use is restricted to roadways and trails.
Charcoal use is restricted to barbecue grills, and no open fires are permitted.
Using park lands for commercial purposes must be pre-approved.
No public meetings or assemblies unless pre-approved approved.
No posting or distribution of advertising material without agreement.
No loudspeaker use requires prior approval.
No horse riding unless pre-approved.
No overnight camping without permission.
Your observance of all park regulations will help to make the park a safe and enjoyable experience for all who visit.
For more information about the New Iberia park system and its use, please call or visit the New Iberia Recreation Department offices: City Park, 300 Parkview Drive, (337) 369-2337 or West End Park, 1200 Field Street, (337) 369-2394 between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.

No discharging firearms?? I guess they are allowed???

Slidell Jim

imported post

estcrh wrote:

The New Iberia Recreation Department maintains seventeen (17) parks that cover over one hundred ten (110) acres of The City of New Iberia. Parks are open to the public free of charge everyday from 6:00 am to 10:30 pm. While enjoying the many opportunities the park system has to offer, please obey park regulations. Before you go, you should know:

Dogs must be on a leash.
Motorized vehicles are not permitted off roadways and are to park in designated areas only. Absolutely no driving or parking on grass.
15 mph speed limit.
No disorderly conduct, intoxicating condition, threatening, indecent or immoral act or gestures allowed.
Your observance of all park regulations will help to make the park a safe and enjoyable experience for all who visit.
For more information about the New Iberia park system and its use, please call or visit the New Iberia Recreation Department offices: City Park, 300 Parkview Drive, (337) 369-2337 or West End Park, 1200 Field Street, (337) 369-2394 between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.

Looks like no firearms or discharging of firearms

estcrh

imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
estcrh wrote:

Dogs must be on a leash.
15 mph speed limit.

Your right..I cant find any parks then the allow firearms then.

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
Slidell Jim wrote:
estcrh wrote:

Dogs must be on a leash.
15 mph speed limit.

Your right..I cant find any parks then the allow firearms then.
This is a whole other thread right here. Is this information off the Internet? You take this as gospel?

LA Confederate

imported post

He's making the point that just because it says X on their website does not make it so. The proper thing to do would be to contact whoever is in charge of renting/reserving the areas and ask them if firearms that are legally carried in accordance with state law would be acceptable or if all firearms are prohibited regardless of the situation.

estcrh

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
He's making the point that just because it says X on their website does not make it so. The proper thing to do would be to contact whoever is in charge of renting/reserving the areas and ask them if firearms that are legally carried in accordance with state law would be acceptable or if all firearms are prohibited regardless of the situation.
Well of course that be the proper way to proceed, no one would just take anything just from a sign, I just misread the sign in the first place while looking for a park that appeared to be open to firearms. BUT, thats not really his point..he is desperately trying to sow seeds of fear....why?

LA Confederate

imported post

I don't take it as fear, more like words of caution. These are things that can cause a major problem down the road and should be considered and addressed early on. He, just like the rest of us, is trying to make sure that our butts are covered and that no one does something that will reflect negatively on all of us. This is a major pitfall that can create immense negative press.

barf

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
I don't take it as fear, more like words of caution. These are things that can cause a major problem down the road and should be considered and addressed early on. He, just like the rest of us, is trying to make sure that our butts are covered and that no one does something that will reflect negatively on all of us. This is a major pitfall that can create immense negative press.
+1000

estcrh

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
I understand what you are saying and I AGREE completely...read his other post..he is actually saying that to do this can cause the sky to fall. Thats why we are discussing all possible problems such as school zones, alcohol, permits etc. I have worked for 2 city governments and understand how things work...there is a difference between caution and outright scare tactics though.

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
LA Confederate wrote:
I understand what you are saying and I AGREE completely...read his other post..he is actually saying that to do this can cause the sky to fall. Thats why we are discussing all possible problems such as school zones, alcohol, permits etc. I have worked for 2 city governments and understand how things work...there is a difference between caution and outright scare tactics though.
Please cite my "outright scare tactics".