• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Left handgun in backpack at restaurant

ScottE

"Harsh crowd. My advice, never carry off body, carry concealed, carry as much ammo as you can within reason, know your states laws, and train often (usually overlooked). Good luck."

Dude, this is an OPEN CARRY FORUM...

If the gun is properly holstered, and on your person, you probably won't forget it. However, when nature calls, you make a noticable thud in the ole' crapper...

Yes, we are in agreement. You definitely will not forget it if properly holstered on person.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Jandrew, carry your weapon in a holster. If you do not have one I will give you one to use untill you get one. Bellingham is not a bad city for open carry, consider it. Come to Starbucks on sunday and we will give you a bit of support (and a razzing for "forgetting your gun").

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Oh, yes. The person is 100% irresponsible for not foreseeing that he might somehow forget his backpack. And, not leaving himself notes all around his table and on his dashboard reminding himself. And, forgetting the gun itself. That's what I do all day long--just repeat to myself that I have a gun I need to keep track of. Don't get much work done or enjoy life or anything, but by steadily reminding myself every ten seconds that I have a gun, I never forget and leave it somewhere.

Yeah, right. Suuuuure.

My mentality is that I'm not going to fall into the anti-gunner's trap and pretend that guns are soooooo dangerous that the world will automatically end if one gets left somewhere, even if nobody finds and misuses it. People forget things. It happens. Its part of life. Its going to happen again. And, all the accusations about irresponsibility aren't going to change that. Save the irresponsibility accusations for people who won't carry a gun to defend themselves or others. More people get hurt from that omission than by guns accidentally left somewhere.
Yeah nothing like taking responsibility for your own acts as it is easier to try and justify it away and act like no harm no foul! Bull :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
It appears your view point is to be an apologist for the stupid.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
My first thought is this could be a regular user here that didn't want to admit doing it, signing up for a second account.

Or a good chance of them being an anti just wanting more ammo along with all these stupid shootings going on.
How responsible does one feel losing their weapon in public and then to poorly try to justify it away, idiots.

tombrewster421

Or a good chance of them being an anti just wanting more ammo along with all these stupid shootings going on.
How responsible does one feel losing their weapon in public and then to poorly try to justify it away, idiots.

Of course the people that leave guns in public are usually cops. Seen many stories of cops forgetting their guns in the bathroom. Not sure why you would want to take it out of your holster.

decklin

If that had happened during an earlier war, he'd be the designated "Burner", in charge of changing out the half barrels in the latrines and burning the contents.. Nothing like the smell of burning body waste, diesel, and gasoline, to make one never forget where his weapon is at all times. No paracord required.

Yes, unfortunately he never got to experience that particular joy. He had to settle for the smoking and every detail that came up.

I don't know what to think about that pack.

hermannr

Or how about the Seattle insident: Officer #1 takes M4 out and places it on the roof of Officer #2's car. Officer #2 drives off, Officer #1's M4 (fully loaded) is still on roof of her patrol car. Fortunately it was pointed out to officer #2 before that M4 jumped off the roof and started going wild and shooting people on it's own...

I will double up on...only carry on your body...get a holster, beg, borrow or buy one. BG shows up and pulls a knife on you you will not have time to ask him to wait until you open you backpack before he mugs you. If you OC, the BG probably won't even try to mug you, he will most likely go off looking for easier prey.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd like this guy demo this while on his back, or during a struggle/grappling situation.

Did I miss the part where he said this was the only way to carry? Here I thought it was an alternate way intended for special circumstances.

Difdi

This is one reason I don't advocate off body carry.

Depends on which off-body method you use, too. I've always hated having anything in my pockets pulling downwards on my pants, so early on I went to a backpack for every-day carry. It's grown over the years, reaching a current weight of 32lbs. By now, 25 years later, I'm far more likely to forget to put on pants (it only happened once, but my friends will never let me forget, heh) before walking out the door than I am to forget my backpack. Pants don't weigh much, but anybody will notice how light on their feet suddenly losing 32 pounds makes them. If I don't have my backpack, I also am without my wallet, keys and phone, so remembering any of those causes me to remember the pack as well.

I've often thought about modifying it to conceal a pistol for a behind-the-back draw. The mod would be reasonably secure, since it would be hidden by my body while wearing the pack, and there's no reason I couldn't use a retention holster as well, secured inside the hidden pocket.

Metalhead47

Depends on which off-body method you use, too. I've always hated having anything in my pockets pulling downwards on my pants, so early on I went to a backpack for every-day carry. It's grown over the years, reaching a current weight of 32lbs. By now, 25 years later, I'm far more likely to forget to put on pants (it only happened once, but my friends will never let me forget, heh) before walking out the door than I am to forget my backpack. Pants don't weigh much, but anybody will notice how light on their feet suddenly losing 32 pounds makes them. If I don't have my backpack, I also am without my wallet, keys and phone, so remembering any of those causes me to remember the pack as well.

I've often thought about modifying it to conceal a pistol for a behind-the-back draw. The mod would be reasonably secure, since it would be hidden by my body while wearing the pack, and there's no reason I couldn't use a retention holster as well, secured inside the hidden pocket.

THIRTY TWO POUNDS????

What on earth do you need for day-to-day life that it adds up to THIRTY TWO POUNDS??? :eek::eek:

SeattleWingsfan

Have you checked out the Maxpedition Falcon? There are a few others out there as well that allow quick draw so to speak. That is the only name comming to mind at the moment. Also Tactical Taylor makes custom bags, and modifies things like that for people all the time. Not cheap, but I like everything I have had them do.

jandrew

For those who are wondering......and it's the first thing I thought of before I joined the OC chat......I'm a Noob to this forum, not a retread trying to soften the scolding for the error of my ways. Quite honestly it's never happened before and it'll never happen again. I haven't picked a holster for the XDs I was carrying that day, so I opted for one of my 5.11 carry packs which I usually use on the trails, mountains etc. It'll take 10-14 days to reclaim from the PD evidence compound, because they require another background check before they'll release it:mad:! An obvious waste of time since my CP would allow me to buy another pistol with a 5 minute wait period.:confused: IMO the concealable 5.11 packs work great for deep woods, high country etc. when my 44 magnum bear repellant is too cumbersome to holster for vertical climbs or sliding down on your rear. Until then I guess my holstered Kimber tight to my ribs will have to make do. Happy shooting everyone.:lol:

Cubex DE

It'll take 10-14 days to reclaim from the PD evidence compound, because they require another background check before they'll release it:mad:!

Uh... is that legal? Wouldn't that be considered unreasonable search and seizure?

I've always hated having anything in my pockets pulling downwards on my pants, so early on I went to a backpack for every-day carry.

The Blackhawk pistol belts with the steel spine reinforcement are great. They support the weight of a holster and firearm without warping or having to be on super tight, but they look like regular leather belts.